What is your favourite non-total market/SP500 ETF?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
milosz19

What is your favourite non-total market/SP500 ETF?

Post by milosz19 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:04 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking of investing in an equity ETF to supplement, and hopefully boost returns, of my core holdings - voo (S&P 500). What are your favorite ETFs that fit that bill? (I was thinking of

Thank you for your feedback.

SteveJones

Re: What is your favourite non-total market/SP500 ETF?

Post by SteveJones » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:24 pm

I'm trying to get my wife involved in our investments. The CFO of her company got in her head we should invest at least a part of the equity we will make off the sale of our home to REIT since that money was already 'invested' in real estate. She really respects his opinion so against my judgement we invested money into the Vanguard Real Estate Index Fund Admiral Shares as a 'test'. It keeps her engaged and is such a small part of our portfolio I don't feel like I am cheating on my boglehead values. And at the end of the day you should have a little fun with money too.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:31 pm

TQQQ; I turned $400K into $32M (don’t actually do this).

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:38 pm

milosz19 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:04 pm
I am thinking of investing in an equity ETF to supplement, and hopefully boost returns, of my core holdings - voo (S&P 500). What are your favorite ETFs that fit that bill? (I was thinking of
The three best equity assets for diversifying the S&P 500 are small cap value, emerging markets, and utilities.

In small cap value the best funds IMO are SPDR® S&P 600 Small Cap Value ETF (SLYV) for tax-advantaged accounts and Vanguard S&P Small-Cap 600 Value ETF (VIOV) for taxable accounts.

In emerging markets I like iShares Core MSCI Emerging Markets ETF (IEMG) but Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets ETF (VWO) is good too.

In utilities I think Fidelity MSCI Utilities ETF (FUTY) is a great choice.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:42 pm

Global X Funds SuperDividend REIT ETF (SRET) is my favorite ETF, period. It's my third largest securities holding, and the core of my REIT tilt. It's not a good fit for everybody, obviously.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:44 pm

vineviz wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:38 pm
milosz19 wrote:
The three best equity assets for diversifying the S&P 500 are small cap value, emerging markets, and utilities.

In small cap value the best funds IMO are SPDR® S&P 600 Small Cap Value ETF (SLYV) for tax-advantaged accounts and Vanguard S&P Small-Cap 600 Value ETF (VIOV) for taxable accounts.

In emerging markets I like iShares Core MSCI Emerging Markets ETF (IEMG) but Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets ETF (VWO) is good too.

My real answer is more inline with this; I’d tilt with some S&P600 small value (deeper small factor exposure than Vanguard small funds).

Figuring_it_out

Post by Figuring_it_out » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:22 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:31 pm
Ha and it can do the reverse in short order too. :)

congrats!

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:03 pm

Figuring_it_out wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:22 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:31 pm
Ha and it can do the reverse in short order too. :)

congrats!
I wish this was the truth... well I did do this with PortfolioVisualizer.com.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:14 pm

vineviz wrote:
milosz19 wrote:

Vineviz, for this use case do you prefer utilities over a min vol factor fund? If so why?

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:23 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:14 pm
vineviz wrote:
milosz19 wrote:

Vineviz, for this use case do you prefer utilities over a min vol factor fund? If so why?
Probably. For one thing, utilities generally have had a much lower correlation with the S&P 500 than most minimum volatility funds (though an ex-US min vol fund might not be a bad choice) and higher volatility: the two essential qualities of diversification.

A minimum volatility fund might be a good replacement VOO, but probably not a good diversifier for it.

Utilities have been a particularly good diversifier for every period I've tested them in. And because they are such a small sector within most indexes, adding a little more to a portfolio can have a big impact on diversification.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

asif408

Post by asif408 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:30 am

My favorite ETFs are those that have the worst trailing 5-10 year performance. So right now that would be gold miners (GDX/RING), energy (VDE/FILL), & EM value (PXH/FNDE).

In 5 years it will probably be something else.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:48 am

I like Vanguard Small Cap Index VSMAX, which I hold in taxable. When the time comes to rollover my 401k to Vanguard, the plan is to take some of the fixed & place in REITS, to up my AA to 60/40. Then I'll have the Three Fund plus REITS. SS & pension should cover expenses so I'll take a little more risk.
Too soon old, too late smart.

Wyodoc

Post by Wyodoc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:12 am

+1 to VIOV
I also like small cap intnl space with Vanguard intl small cap VSS (which includes EM small) and more recently I've been using Ishares MSCI small-cap (SCZ)