another Honda/Takata recall

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bayview

another Honda/Takata recall

Post by bayview » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:36 am

A USA Today article https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 137817002/ says that now there is a recall on many of the replacement air bags that were installed. My faithful 2002 Accord will be trudging back to the dealer once they have the replacements in.

Enter your VIN into the NHTSA site to see if you've won the most recent recall lottery:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

drawpoker

Re: another Honda/Takata recall

Post by drawpoker » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:54 pm

bayview wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:36 am
A USA Today article https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 137817002/ says that now there is a recall on many of the replacement air bags that were installed. My faithful 2002 Accord will be trudging back to the dealer once they have the replacements in.

Enter your VIN into the NHTSA site to see if you've won the most recent recall lottery:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
Well, I'm disappointed! Just in Monday's mail I got a check for the "auto airbag settlement" for $98 for filling out some claim form last year. Since the dealership is a 76 mile roundtrip from my home I believed I claimed mileage, plus lost a half-day of work. :wink: This $98 figure must be the agreed-upon sum they will pay without documenting actual expenses; recall reading something about that in the instructions. I know I didn't submit any documents, but To be Honest, it has been so many months I don't recall much else. :? Just happy to get the :moneybag , was expecting a check for like twenty five cents. The way most of these huge class-action settlements go.

btw, the check did look kind of fakey, was drawn on Citibank but in very small type, the # seemed odd because it was so low, carried the message "Must be deposited only, may not be cashed at check-cashing facilities, etc". It just kinda had the appearance of those phony checks scammers send out. I asked my bank teller to go over the thing with a fine-toothed comb, the comb being that special bluish light they use to check if the paper is genuine.

It passed. Anybody else get a check - how much ?????

xenochrony

Post by xenochrony » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm

Interesting. I filled out the paperwork for the Takata Airbag settlement at least 9 months ago and have received no check in the mail yet. It's been so long, I really dont expect to receive anything. I have had both my Honda driver, (and more recently) passenger airbag recall services completed, so I was surprised at this new airbag recall in the news yesterday. Typing in my VIN it states there is no recall for my vehicle at this time. Confusing.

fposte

Post by fposte » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:10 pm

My car is squarely in the recall category but the VIN doesn't get me a hit. My guess is they're not all up yet, so I'll be checking back.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:20 pm

xenochrony wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:05 pm
....filled out the paperwork for the Takata Airbag settlement at least 9 months ago and have received no check in the mail yet. It's been so long, I really dont expect to receive anything........
Apparently the checks are coming from Portland OR. You should be able to find out if you are in line for one.

On the stub it says:

"If you have any questions about your payment please contact the Settlement Special Administrator by writing to Auto Airbag Settlement, PO Box 3207 Portland OR 97208-3207, emailing info@AutoAirbagSettlement.com or, by calling toll-free 1-888-735-5596"

Hope this helps! :sharebeer

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:11 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:54 pm
Well, I'm disappointed! Just in Monday's mail I got a check for the "auto airbag settlement" for $98 for filling out some claim form last year. Since the dealership is a 76 mile roundtrip from my home I believed I claimed mileage, plus lost a half-day of work. :wink: This $98 figure must be the agreed-upon sum they will pay without documenting actual expenses; recall reading something about that in the instructions. I know I didn't submit any documents, but To be Honest, it has been so many months I don't recall much else. :? Just happy to get the :moneybag , was expecting a check for like twenty five cents. The way most of these huge class-action settlements go.
I don't remember this settlement, but I have a claim number from December 2017 when I must have filled something out. Nothing came up in my email though. With the claim number, I made note of some residual payment in 4 years. I assume they're going to pay off those folks with qualifying losses first (out of pocket expenses, rental cars, documented or claimed time lost, etc.) and if there is any left over money, they'll distribute it to the rest of us. I doubt there will be anything left over, and even if there is, with all the number of folks impacted, we'll be lucky to get two cents.

There is a registration/claim deadline July 2019 for those that haven't signed up yet:
https://www.autoairbagsettlement.com/en ... ubmitClaim

FWIW, the settlement was with the original recall, and all we'll get from the recall of the recall is another free airbag. Your dealer might pitch in some free bad tasting coffee. Just add lots of sugar and creamer.

Update 1: BTW, just check the status and got an error. Will try to register again, but I expect I'll get an already registered error.
Based on the information that you provided, we were unable to locate a Registration/Claim Form submission. It may be that our database is pending an update or that some of the information you provided is incorrect. Please double-check your entries and try again. For further assistance, please contact the Settlement Special Administrator at 1-888-735-5596 or by email at info@AutoAirbagSettlement.com.
Update 2: No problems registering again. Got email subject "Auto Airbag Settlement – Registration/Claim Form Submission Confirmation". I found the registration from 2017. No mention of "Takata", which is why I didn't find it the first time around when I searched.

Iridium

Post by Iridium » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:10 pm

bayview wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:36 am
A USA Today article https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... 137817002/ says that now there is a recall on many of the replacement air bags that were installed.
The article doesn't go into it, but this new recall sounds like the original plan, not some unexpected new discovery. The recalled inflators are safe when new and the world inflator manufacturing market couldn't make the millions of inflators required to replace the dangerous ones in a timely fashion. Therefore, many of the inflators recall 'repairs' was just replacing the inflator with a fresh identical one. This bought time for additional non-Takata inflator manufacturing capacity to come online. Unfortunately, it means folks will have to bring their car in twice. Fortunately, the solution probably saved lives and the second recall is not as urgent (though eventually will be crucial) so will hopefully not be the cluster that the first recall was.

beastykato

Post by beastykato » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:09 am

Honda dealer denied me a rental for this again. They tried to last time as well. They told me shrapnel can blow into my passengers face and just don't put anyone there or anything heavy on the seat that could trigger it.

Hate dealing with Honda on any issue. People should not even be in these cars if there is a potential that this could happen.

DB2

Post by DB2 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:55 pm

I'm the original owner of my 2006 Accord - taking it in today for this. One time was bad enough - Takata shouldn't be allowed to make airbags any longer. They are completely incompetent. I sent a blistering email to Honda about this for what it's worth.

beastykato

Post by beastykato » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:16 pm

Yeah, and we drove around with these "fixed" air bags for how long? I [lost it --admin LadyGeek] on the phone with them when they told me no rental and to not carry passengers in my vehicle.

What gets me is my Honda Rigeline was taken in for the air bag fix right around the same time my car was. Somehow it's not had the 2nd recall on it's airbags... I suspect here in a few weeks/months I'll be getting another letter to take my Ridgeline in too.

Sure hope none of us get into an accident in meantime. Meanwhile I guess I'm just suppose to drive the vehicle around until it gets fixed on Tuesday. The dealer actually had me reschedule from to Tuesday from Monday because I need a car Monday and they didn't want to get the loaner approved.

beyou

Post by beyou » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:38 pm

Subaru just put out a Takata recall too.