Yet another chronic defect with the 2017-18 Honda CRV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CULater

Yet another chronic defect with the 2017-18 Honda CRV

Post by CULater » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Thought another heads-up was in order regarding the Honda CRV. I just noticed the button on the gear shift handle coming loose and sticking out too far. Took it in to Honda Service and they replaced the gear shifter. Service rep told me that he had just had four CRVs in the last couple of days with this problem. Seems the plastic shaft on the button is too thin and it is breaking. Often the button has popped completely out and you are left not being able to shift gears. Checked this on Carcomplaints.com and lo and behold there are numerous complaints about this issue such as the ones below:
The contact owns a 2017 Honda CR-V. while driving 35-40 mph, the shift button popped out and the shifter shaft fractured. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to Honda... where it was diagnosed that the gear shifter mechanism needed to be replaced.
The transmission shifter interlock release button broke (Honda part no. 54132-tla-A62zb) thereby making the transmission shifter inoperable including the ability to place the transmission in park position. All I did was to try to place the transmission in park and, when I depressed the release button on the stalk, it fell abart. I was not able to operate the vehicle at that point.
Can either be a nuisance, or a possible safety issue so pay attention to that little silver button on the shifter of your CRV. If it hasn't popped out yet, it might be doing it soon. If it looks like it's coming loose or sticking out more than it did, it's about to break. The 17s are now getting to be a couple years old and the problem is starting to show up frequently, so that's about the time it takes for this mis-designed part to fracture apparently.

Unfortunately, the service rep said the replacement shifters are no better so this may be a chronic problem with your CRV unless they re-design this part sometime, but it's probably cheaper for them to just keep replacing them and letting you deal with the hassle.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Jess8008

Re: Yet another chronic defect with the 2017-18 Honda CRV

Post by Jess8008 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:34 pm

My 2017 CRV gear shift button just broke today. How much to repair? I'm out of my warranty.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:41 pm

Jess8008 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:34 pm
My 2017 CRV gear shift button just broke today. How much to repair? I'm out of my warranty.
Are you out because of miles? This has been such a common problem with the CRV I'd try to get the dealer to fix it for no charge even out of warranty. They have to replace it with a new part and the labor involves removing the shifter. Just guessing that the labor is maybe 30-45 minutes, which would run maybe $50-$75 plus the cost of the part. So, my guess is about $100 if they charge you. But you should be able to google this and pull up some evidence that this is very common and therefore should be done by the dealer for no charge. When I had mine done, the service guy knew all about the problem and said they'd done four within the last few days or so. He told me the OEM part is not manufactured with a sturdy enough shaft and breaks easily.

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:52 pm

OP is every issue you have with your CRV a "chronic" issue and deserving of a new thread?

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:06 pm

You are not inextricably linked to a car. The smart thing to do is sell it after disclosing all issues, but you could also destroy it and bury the remains in a strip mining pit and still recover financially. Just don't launch the remains into space; that's really expensive and Elon Musk will just waste the money on his crazy "adult boy living on Mars" dreams.

Think Mythbusters. I heard a myth that the CRV will achieve fusion if you place a stick of dynamite in each spark plug hole and set them off simultaneously when there is plenty of fuel diluting the oil. But I might be thinking of a certain Ford car. Anyway, this needs science.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:23 pm

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:58 am

whodidntante wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:06 pm
You are not inextricably linked to a car. The smart thing to do is sell it after disclosing all issues, but you could also destroy it and bury the remains in a strip mining pit and still recover financially. Just don't launch the remains into space; that's really expensive and Elon Musk will just waste the money on his crazy "adult boy living on Mars" dreams.

Think Mythbusters. I heard a myth that the CRV will achieve fusion if you place a stick of dynamite in each spark plug hole and set them off simultaneously when there is plenty of fuel diluting the oil. But I might be thinking of a certain Ford car. Anyway, this needs science.
This. Life's too short to deal with Lemons.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:34 am

Seeing these threads is like seeing a good friend refuse to cut bait with a crazy partner.

I mean, it's a Japanese econobox SUV. Dude, punt the thing already. Just imagine what you can do with all the time you're not spending online searching for "chronic" issues with your car and posting lengthy threads "warning" others. Not to mention the time analyzing the mm of oil level change each time you look at the car, time spent at your dealer, etc...... I mean, you could potentially solve the worlds climate problems if you'd just get another car already.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:42 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:58 am
whodidntante wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:06 pm

This. Life's too short to deal with Lemons.
I agree - but some folks need to find a way to tale up their time and money in retirement after all the years of work.
There are numerous examples in the other thread on this Honda CRV issue where folks that were not happy with this condition and their CRV's received full KBB for their trades and moved on to another car - they are all very happy.
I for one am following these threads as they are a great learning tool for all of us.
Now ...I am extra sensitized to any tendencies that would make us unhappy that can easily and quickly be corrected.
FIRE and retirement is not just about money and funds but also about how you can best utilize your time and money to be happy and make others happy.
YMMV

BTW - our 2014 CRV has an annoying problem with the tire pressure sensors in that they are very sensitive and will react with a warning even if the pressure is down 2-3 psi on very cold days. This has happened over 4 times now in 40K+ miles.

Mr.Wu

Post by Mr.Wu » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:49 am

Wow, how many of you work at dealership or for Honda corporate? The op posted his issues with a product in a “personal consumer issues” sub forum. And your suggestion is to sell the car and shut up?

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:18 am

Mr.Wu wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:49 am
Wow, how many of you work at dealership or for Honda corporate? The op posted his issues with a product in a “personal consumer issues” sub forum. And your suggestion is to sell the car and shut up?
Mr Wu - have your read the other post on Honda CRV's that has been going on for over a year now?
If you do I think this quote will likely change....
"And your suggestion is to sell the car and shut up?"
It would then be better expressed as "please sell your existing car and be happy from this day forward in your retirement".

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:54 am

Hey, I posted this last Oct and it was a dead thread until the guy asked how much it would cost to fix the issue. I was just trying to help answer his query. This is not a big deal - easy fix. Unlike the oil dilution fiasco. But good to know because if you don't get it fixed when the button is loose before it falls out the car is undriveable.

Mr.Wu

Post by Mr.Wu » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:00 am

smitcat wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:18 am
Mr.Wu wrote:
Mr Wu - have your read the other post on Honda CRV's that has been going on for over a year now?
It would then be better expressed as "please sell your existing car and be happy from this day forward in your retirement".
I have been following the other thread since it only had two pages. I appreciate the time and effort the op put in to research and document this issue publicly. Apparently he wants the right thing to be done by Honda. Further I am a owner of two Honda’s and I may choose to avoid this brand for next car depending on how Honda eventually deal with it.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:14 am

Suggest the OP take a few (maybe 10) minutes to file a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Board here:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

If enough affected owners did this, it would prompt a recall and may compensate existing owners who paid for the repair. YMMV.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:18 am

Mr.Wu wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:00 am
smitcat wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:18 am
Mr.Wu wrote:
I have been following the other thread since it only had two pages. I appreciate the time and effort the op put in to research and document this issue publicly. Apparently he wants the right thing to be done by Honda. Further I am a owner of two Honda’s and I may choose to avoid this brand for next car depending on how Honda eventually deal with it.
I happen to have 3 Honda's right now ….2 of which are CRV's (2006/201$). I am not a dealer nor have I had anything to do with the car business at all at anytime in life.
I have numerous posts that I am appreciative of the OP to post up the problem with the Hinda CRV - and that Honda should have stepped up as you can readily see and read in the past posts.
I have responded to your generally directed post here ….
With this.....
"please sell your existing car and be happy from this day forward in your retirement".

Separately by related your thoughts here ….
"Further I am a owner of two Honda’s and I may choose to avoid this brand for next car depending on how Honda eventually deal with it."
Seem to indicate that these events and issues do not exist with other brands of cars/trucks.
I would strongly suggest that you research any potential car or truck purchase thoroughly by brand / model and specific trim level since issues far greater than this one have existed in all of the brands of cars that we all have purchased over time.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:51 am

I too have been following both threads with interest since I have a 2017 CRV Touring with 27K with no problems ( I check my oil level at each gas fill up) I appreciate CULater postings. Had I known about the problem back in November 2017 when I purchased the CRV I would have gone another way. We are a Honda family both daughters have a Honda a HRV, Civic and my wife as an Accord, all with no problems....go figure!!

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:54 am

TimeRunner wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:14 am
Suggest the OP take a few (maybe 10) minutes to file a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Board here:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

If enough affected owners did this, it would prompt a recall and may compensate existing owners who paid for the repair. YMMV.
Did that long ago. There are plenty of NHTSA complaints about the CRV oil dilution problem: 268 on the 2017, 261 on the 2018. You might want to take the time to peruse a few of them. As we can conclude, this high volume of NHTSA complaints has accomplished nothing. Is NHTSA fair and objective? I have my opinion...

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/CR- ... gine.shtml

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:28 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:51 am
I too have been following both threads with interest since I have a 2017 CRV Touring with 27K with no problems ( I check my oil level at each gas fill up) I appreciate CULater postings. Had I known about the problem back in November 2017 when I purchased the CRV I would have gone another way. We are a Honda family both daughters have a Honda a HRV, Civic and my wife as an Accord, all with no problems....go figure!!
Hello TLC1957 - thank you for your inputs, would you share some more data with us please?
- Did you purchase your 2017 with a 1.5 turbo engine?
- How many miles are on it now?
- How many miles have you gone between oil changes?
- Do you use your CRV in the cold and/or on short trips?
- Has you CRV received the potential 'fix' for this issue yet?
Thank you for anything that you can share.

FWIW - We have a number of friends with the 1.5 Turbo Honda in CRV"s as well as other Hondas. We are in the NE where it is pretty cold (NY) and much of the driving is stop and go. So far none of them have experienced a problem with excess oil levels. I did say so far so …..there is always the possibility of that issue cropping up in the future.

BTW - you are a rare breed and I like your attention to machinery …. "I check my oil level at each gas fill up"

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:16 pm

smitcat wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:28 pm
TLC1957 wrote:
Hello TLC1957 - thank you for your inputs, would you share some more data with us please?

Yes have the turbo

About 27k

6617 miles; 4148 miles, 8114 miles ( 4500 miles while on a 6 week trip to Newfoundland and PEI), 1152 (oil changed during the fix also paid for a new filter), due for an oil change soon

Yes live in Pa, being retired the CRV is used occasionally on short trips.
-
Has you CRV received the potential 'fix' for this issue yet.

Yes got the fix done see above for oil change

No problem with the heat before or after the fix.

FWIW - We have a number of friends with the 1.5 Turbo Honda in CRV"s as well as other Hondas. We are in the NE where it is pretty cold (NY) and much of the driving is stop and go. So far none of them have experienced a problem with excess oil levels. I did say so far so …..there is always the possibility of that issue cropping up in the future.

BTW - you are a rare breed and I like your attention to machinery …. "I check my oil level at each gas fill up"

Nope just want to keep an eye on the problem. I get my gas at Costco and usually have to wait for my turn at the pump, I NEVER have witnessed anyone checking the oil, in fact Costco does not have paper to wipe off the dip stick. :oops:

The 2 times the Honda dealer changed the oil (at 2 different dealers), they overfilled the oil!! Had to bring the CRV back for them to bring it down to the correct level. Second time told the service advisor not to overfill the oil. After assuring me not a problem all service technicians are Honda certified, first thing I did while the CRV was in the service area pickup area was to check the oil level, it was overfilled....so much for those certifications.... :annoyed

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:26 pm

Can you get rid of the vehicle? I think filing a complaint with the right authorities would also help. I do not know what is actionable with this thread, but maybe you can pose a question -- have others faced an issue like this, so thread doesn't get locked? I am not sure if PSAs are allowed on the board.
Life is short, cut your losses.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:51 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:16 pm
smitcat wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:28 pm
TLC1957 wrote:

Yes have the turbo

About 27k

6617 miles; 4148 miles, 8114 miles ( 4500 miles while on a 6 week trip to Newfoundland and PEI), 1152 (oil changed during the fix also paid for a new filter), due for an oil change soon

Yes live in Pa, being retired the CRV is used occasionally on short trips.
-
Has you CRV received the potential 'fix' for this issue yet.

Yes got the fix done see above for oil change

No problem with the heat before or after the fix.

Nope just want to keep an eye on the problem. I get my gas at Costco and usually have to wait for my turn at the pump, I NEVER have witnessed anyone checking the oil, in fact Costco does not have paper to wipe off the dip stick. :oops:

The 2 times the Honda dealer changed the oil (at 2 different dealers), they overfilled the oil!! Had to bring the CRV back for them to bring it down to the correct level. Second time told the service advisor not to overfill the oil. After assuring me not a problem all service technicians are Honda certified, first thing I did while the CRV was in the service area pickup area was to check the oil level, it was overfilled....so much for those certifications.... :annoyed
Thank you a whole bunch...

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:05 pm

The discussion has derailed to focus on the oil dilution problem. This thread has run its course and is locked.

The oil dilution problem should be continued here: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Also note this thread was bumped from 2018.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.