Bright daughter wants to work for nonprofit

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
retire14

Bright daughter wants to work for nonprofit

Post by retire14 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:55 am

Daughter is 3 years out of college. Very bright. Graduated from a top college in Business. CPA. She has been with 3 companies and did well in all. Companies loved her. She has a very bright future. However, she recently decided that she wants to work for a nonprofit. She was upfront with her current company and they want her to stay and is willing to assign her to another position. She got an offer from an educational nonprofit at reduced pay and is considering it. As a parent, I am a little concerned that her financial situation may not be as good, especially in future years as she really has good potential for growth. At the same time, I know she is idealistic and I want her to be happy at what she does. I want to be supportive, but I am a little anxious. What do you say?

mak1277

Re: Bright daughter wants to work for nonprofit

Post by mak1277 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 am

retire14 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:55 am
Daughter is 3 years out of college. Very bright. Graduated from a top college in Business. CPA. She has been with 3 companies and did well in all. Companies loved her. She has a very bright future. However, she recently decided that she wants to work for a nonprofit. She was upfront with her current company and they want her to stay and is willing to assign her to another position. She got an offer from an educational nonprofit at reduced pay and is considering it. As a parent, I am a little concerned that her financial situation may not be as good, especially in future years as she really has good potential for growth. At the same time, I know she is idealistic and I want her to be happy at what she does. I want to be supportive, but I am a little anxious. What do you say?
Has she asked for advice?

Given that she's had three jobs in three years since graduating college, I can't say I'd be too worried about this one "sticking" either.

Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 am

retire14 wrote:
As a parent, I want her to be happy at what she does. I want to be supportive
I am in a similar circumstance, and I say what you already said above.

ohai

Post by ohai » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:02 am

What sort of pay cut are you talking about? I mean, I think you know how it works. If she goes from $150k to $50k, future expenses like wedding, kid's school, house, etc. are going to be harder for her and more than likely, will be subsidized by you as the parent. If your daughter has quantified this and everyone is comfortable with this, then there is no problem. Ultimately, she is an adult, and it's not really up to you to decide what is best for her, as long as your expected future financial obligation to her is made clear. Finding work that "feels good" is a luxury most of the time, and it's not irrational to pay for that if you have money.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 am

Non-profits can pay the big bucks, so if you are worried about your money, don't be.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
retire14

Post by retire14 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 am

mak1277 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 am
retire14 wrote:
Has she asked for advice?

Given that she's had three jobs in three years since graduating college, I can't say I'd be too worried about this one "sticking" either.
Just to clarify, the reason she changes jobs is that she knows what she wanted. She was recruited out of college to a Mega Corp. She worked there 9 months and decided she did not want to work for a big company. She found a job with a start-up, then her start-up was bought by Oracle, she quit and got another job with another small company.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:09 am

retire14 wrote:
Life's too short. Try it.
Have an exit plan.
As income streams change, lifestyle changes, safety nets change, therefore . . . . adapt.
What is most meaningful in life is not on a spreadsheet.
Learn
Have fun.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Dialectical Investor

Post by Dialectical Investor » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:12 am

retire14 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:05 am

Just to clarify, the reason she changes jobs is that she knows what she wanted.
In that case, doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. Lots of "bright" people work at non-profits.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:13 am

What’s most important is that this is her life and not everything is about making the most money. While it is unfortunate that you feel like she’s wasting her education working for little money, generally what happens is really smart people who are business savvy end up doing well in the end. Indeed it usually people with the most eclectic backgrounds that get some of the most interesting/good jobs down the line.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:24 am

She's an adult, it's her life. If she ends up not liking this new nonprofit job within a year or two, the job market is strong enough in most professional fields right now that she should not have much trouble switching back to her previous path.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:25 am

retire14 wrote:
There are many different types of "non-profits" and "not for profit" organizations.

Credit Unions encompass some degree of "not for profit"

Many "faith based" groups and organizations have a great need for accounting/auditing folks and functions. Especially for religious denominations with a high degree of central control, these denominations handle large amounts of money/funds/investments - and want/need folks to watch and audit. There are also religious based charities and relief services that handle a lot of money as well.

There are a lot of well compensated folks at "non profits".

Depending on where she is located and/or is willing to move, there might be opportunities in non-profit trade associations. [There are trade associations for just about every type of organization you can imagine.]

Perhaps the type of position she might look for at non-profits is "Internal Auditor", or "Risk Management" . Some CPA/audit firms specialize in auditing non-profits.

Not exactly accounting/CPA - BUT I learned that a very, very highly compensated field is fundraising consultants (or similar term). These folks and organizations "help" or manage capital campaigns (and similar) for religious entities, charities, etc.

HenryBemis

Post by HenryBemis » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:29 am

I work at a large not-for-profit on the Finance side. I receive 36 days vacation, a small pension, great health benefits and a salary in the low 100K's, which is competitive for my title/field/age. As a father, I couldn't have made a better decision. Also as a father, I get your concern but it's not warranted. Your daughter is indeed very bright, in my humble opinion.

ohai

Post by ohai » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:36 am

Just speaking from my experience - have one sibling who went to work for non profit despite having many other options. NGOs *can* pay a lot of money, but who are we kidding - the average NGO worker is not paid much compared to finance or accounting. OP has a better idea of the difference in this specific case.

Anyway, in my family's case, sibling seems to have good job satisfaction and happy life. However, this is only practical because of family money. Replicating circumstances and opportuniy for his kid compared to what we had growing up would otherwise be impossible. Ultimately, you should do what makes you happy. But to reiterate, having a job that makes you feel good is a luxury that someone pays for.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:42 am

retire14 wrote:
What do you say?
I took several jobs for the money and the titles that went with them. Eventually all of them got to the point where the money and the title simply wasn't worth having to go into a job I didn't like every morning. I took a huge pay cut and found a job that made me happy and started at the ground floor. I ended up staying there the rest of my working career and eventually the money followed me. I am a firm believer that if you are happy, you do better work, people notice and the money will follow.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:43 am

In life happiness is even more important than the size of your paycheck. If the non-profit will be the job where she finally feels at home - I would say that is a good decision.
Number of job-hops is somewhat industry dependent - but 4 jobs in 3 years would be a bit worrisome for me. If she doesn't stick with the next job for a longer period of time and we hit a recession with the job market tightening up folks may be afraid to hire her. As a hiring manager I'd be looking at her resume concerned she will jump ship as soon as she has been with the company long enough to become productive. Right now the job market is so hot she is getting away with it - this might not be the case in a few years.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:53 am

As others have noted, there are many different types of non-profits. Salary should not be a concern. Her main goal should be to figure out what area she wants to work in, and what type of job she wants top aim for. Most important, in any job, are her immediate colleagues and her boss. A bad boss or poor relations with immediate colleagues can make a job at the best employer unenjoyable and ultimately untenable.

If she starts in the finance office of a local United Way-supported agency and then works up to be the chief finance officer her salary could be $50 to $90K. If she does the same thing at a large university or a large medical center her salary could start at $70K and go to $500K or more.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:55 am

First of all, where are the posters with dumb sons and dumb daughters? Everyone seems to have smarter than average children, but I rarely run into parents with stupider than average children.

But to answer your question, your adult daughter needs to live her life. Whether she is financially successful or not, she needs to follow her passion and drive. It is not your place to judge.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:58 am

miamivice wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:55 am
First of all, where are the posters with dumb sons and dumb daughters? Everyone seems to have smarter than average children, but I rarely run into parents with stupider than average children.
Now that is very funny! :D
miamivice wrote:
But to answer your question, your adult daughter needs to live her life. Whether she is financially successful or not, she needs to follow her passion and drive. It is not your place to judge.
I would assume a bright CPA knows exactly what she's getting herself into. OP needs to be supportive and keep quiet after speaking his piece, assuming he decides he wants to say anything.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:02 am

Before she makes any changes, I suggest she make sure she understands whether working for a "non profit" will make any difference in her life and satisfaction.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:04 am

I wonder if it is the work of a CPA that is not challenging. She may be in the wrong job.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:04 am

dm200 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:02 am
Before she makes any changes, I suggest she make sure she understands whether working for a "non profit" will make any difference in her life and satisfaction.
She may not know that. She might just want to try it out. That's ok.

When I joined my current megacorp, my father thought it was a bad idea. (Can't reveal the reasons why, but he was very adamant.) Turns out, joining this megacorp was the best decision of my life. There was a lot of uncertainty before moving, but I was willing to take a risk because I thought the rewards were good. Turns out, the risk paid off.

You can never be sure about the future, but sometimes it's good just to take a risk and see.

jmk

Post by jmk » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:10 am

As a boglehead working in a low-paying non-profit, my two cents is: There is nothing wrong with following your heart; but she needs to make sure she is willing to live a congruent lifestyle. My dollars per paycheck saved isn't that different from many more wealthy bogleheads but it's contingent on having a low expense lifestyle that most here would consider unacceptable. It hurts sometimes though when I hear friends getting yearly bonuses larger than my take home salary.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:16 am

jmk wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:10 am
As a boglehead working in a low-paying non-profit, my two cents is: There is nothing wrong with following your heart; but she needs to make sure she is willing to live a congruent lifestyle. My dollars per paycheck saved isn't that different from many more wealthy bogleheads but it's contingent on having a low expense lifestyle that most here would consider unacceptable. It hurts sometimes though when I hear friends getting yearly bonuses larger than my take home salary.
One of my children is just back from a stint with the Peace Corps. Bright, with a PhD. Appreciates 24 hour electricity and running water more than she used to. She’s happy, so I don’t provide much unsolicited input. :beer
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

FailedTheTuringTest

Post by FailedTheTuringTest » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:16 am

If I were in your position, I would encourage her to follow her heart and try working at the nonprofit. She is young, she should experiment and get broad experience working in different types of organisations and different roles, and she should try doing things that she is enthusiastic about. You don't describe the organisation in detail but I guess it is a small organisation? If so, one benefit is that she'll probably get more diverse work experience and more responsibility there than she would in an entry-level role at a major firm, which will be beneficial in the long run. And she won't be there forever, modern career paths have many job changes and even complete career changes.

I can also tell you that I was in exactly her situation when I was young. I graduated from university as an engineer, but I followed my heart and worked for years in a non-profit organisation (also in the education field) with an insanely high amount of work for insanely low pay. But I did it for the love of it, not for the money, and the adventures I had and the experience I gained were priceless. I am sure my parents were nervous, but they never breathed a word of discouragement. Eventually I got a well-paid job with a large international nonprofit, and then another well-paid job at a university, and I am now on track to retire by 55.

If your daughter is bright and enthusiastic, she will undoubtedly achieve great things -- where 'great' is defined in her own terms. Cheer her on!

ellink

Post by ellink » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:22 am

As others have said, working for a nonprofit isn't necessarily a hardship pay wise. She appears to be of the mindset that all these positions are steppingstones, which is fine. She should stick with her current job a little longer (make it to 1 year, at least) while she surveys the landscape and figures out what she wants out of her next job." Working for a non profit" is pretty broad.

feehater

Post by feehater » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:34 am

ellink wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:22 am
" Working for a non profit" is pretty broad.
Maybe she's going to work for Vanguard!

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:37 am

Despite what the majority of this board is related to, life is not just about money.

The disappointment in your post is telling. It comes across as she is wasting her talent by taking a lower paying job. That somehow since she is "bright" that she is not successful unless her bank account accumulates large numbers.
Not all people measure success in that way.

Be happy if she found a career that she will truly love and at the same time helps others.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:11 am

ellink wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:22 am
" Working for a non profit" is pretty broad.
Exactly. I have worked in healthcare my entire life, mostly non-profit hospitals. It doesn't always mean taking less in pay.

Afty

Post by Afty » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:18 am

If she can't take a risk like this when she's 25, when could she?

unknownfuture

Post by unknownfuture » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:17 am

Non-profits can be high-paying, if you're competent and your skill is sought after.
Last edited by unknownfuture on Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:22 am

Let her do what she wants. After six years, my artist kid is finally taking off. Maybe she gets 6-figure bonus this year. That’s taking off to me. We’re confident she will inch up to 7-figure bonus some day. She just got accepted to a mini-MBA, cost free too.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:36 am

miamivice wrote:

Maybe the people with the dumb kids had dumb parents. This is a self selected group so the average in
this group does not have to be the same as the average in the population.

Based on the posts I read, most people on this board are well above average in intelligence.
I would expect their kids to be well above average as well.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:39 am

High performance at a lower-paying nonprofit >>> mediocre performance at a big name business firm when you hit the advancement phases of your career, particularly the peak earnings phases.

Don't let the short-term goals cause you to to lose the much bigger overall life financial (and happiness) picture.

If she does choose to 'cash out' and ignore happiness for the pursuit of money (a strategic decision that I absolutely think is a viable one - 'just choose happiness and ignore the money' is oversimplified and trite), it should be done at a time where she is set to reap the highest benefits - which is unlikely to be early on in her career.

PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:01 pm

As a parent myself, I understand that you worry.

But when I graduated from college, I took a relatively low paying job as a newspaper reporter because it's what I wanted to do. I loved it.

I am so glad my parents did not try to manage my life at that point. I can't imagine them doing so when I was three years out of college. They were always just supportive, and I am so grateful for that. I hope I will do the same.

But I understand. As parents, we always worry.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:02 pm

She's tried the corporate world and she's not impressed. She should go ahead and try the non-profit if that meets her ideals.

If that ends up becoming unfulfilling (perhaps not as challenging or otherwise not meeting expectations), perhaps she should look into forensic accounting for law enforcement. That would keep her current with technology and law, and a bright young lady would, I'd have to think, be able to advance impressively and, add to that, with a high degree of flexibility in lifestyle and scope and type of responsibility, presumably while meeting and maintaining and hopefully expanding her idealistic aspirations and capabilities.

Best wishes.

BarbaricYawp

Post by BarbaricYawp » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:03 pm

Afty wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:18 am
If she can't take a risk like this when she's 25, when could she?
^^ This. I have a straight-As, top-flight university, 5-year-undergrad-plus-masters kid who has decided she wants to teach underprivileged children. While I'm not thrilled, I figure there is a reason they call it 'youthful' idealism. If she doesn't set the world afire, at least she will have had that chance to change it while young.
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." --Dorothy Parker

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:06 pm

I know this is primarily a financial forum, but maybe money isn't everything to some highly intelligent people.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:15 pm

Cheyenne wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:06 pm
I know this is primarily a financial forum, but maybe money isn't everything to some highly intelligent people.
+1

Everything in the OP sounds quite positive and makes me wonder what the source of the angst is.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:55 pm

retire14 wrote:
Upper management in NP often pay a lot more than private sector...

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:10 pm

Sounds like she is pretty confident in her own decision-making. If I were in the same situation--and asked for advice--I would say my wife and I worked at non-profits and no-profits good causes post-college until age 35. At that age we had less money saved than when we first married. Both of us then joined mega-corps and did well (mostly random luck and hard work). My advice: join mega-corp, save like hell, invest like a BH, and retire early and do good works with a bunch of money comfortably behind yourself. In other words, do my experience backwards.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:20 pm

OP,

What you might want to consider is letting your daughter know that you are fine supporting her with whatever she chooses but you won’t be financially supporting her. So as long as she knows her new lower salary is able to cover her bills then you’ll support the adventure. And if times get tough she’ll need to look for more gainful employment.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:46 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (career guidance).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

J295

Post by J295 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:50 pm

Fully support daughter. Period.

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:56 pm

I think its fine for people who think a change in venue will lead to them being happier, or their life having more meaning.

My only hope would be that she doesn't fall into the syndrome of opting to be more "service" oriented and then spending the rest of her life complaining that other people make more money and can do more things. Other than that, people should follow their own compass.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:59 pm

I did that! Almost exactly actually. About 3 or 4yrs after I graduated with a business degree from a great school, I quit my fancy job and worked for a nonprofit teaching in Bed Stuy in Brooklyn. I lasted 6 months and I cried a lot. Super valuable in the long term and I'm glad I did it but I was happy to be back in the for-profit world.

Wish her luck, as long as she's not asking you to support her financially then who cares, she can always switch back. I think my parents just rolled their eyes and sighed. :)

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:05 pm

Honestly, I think that very bright people tend to get bored very easily; therefore, maybe the reason your daughter has had 3 jobs in 3 years?

Although if an employer was looking at her resume, I'm not sure she would be a good hire simply because she hasn't stayed in any position for any decent amount of time.

But she's an adult and can do as she wishes. Non-profits tend to not pay that well, but usually offer more in the way of time off, somewhat flexible schedule, etc.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:09 pm

The most important thing to know and understsnd is why she wants to do this. And it's most important for her to know this and to find out what she really wants to do and was meant to do. Sometimes this means first finding out what she doesn't want to do. She's doing all of this and obviously doing well.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:10 pm

I keep encountering young people that are making big job/career changes. One young woman has a very successful position in IT. She is going to school to get into a health related field.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:22 pm

retire14 wrote:
Jonathan Clements says you should be more worried about following your dreams in your 50s and that your 20s are for making and saving money.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Topic Author
retire14

Post by retire14 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:36 pm

Thank you everyone for your advice and insight.