Boeing-time to buy?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Nicolas

Re: Boeing-time to buy?

Post by Nicolas »

LilyFleur wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:58 pm duplicate removed.
isn't there a way to delete a post?
Click the exclamation mark to self-report your duplicate post to the mods, then they’ll delete it.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

Buy Boeing? I want to sell! I'm trying to unload my 25 year old Boeing stock and move it into index funds (taxable account), but the capital gains give me the willies.

Another reason to stick with index funds in my next life: you don't get stuck with appreciated stock that is expensive to liquidate.
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
suemarkp

Post by suemarkp »

Do you think you can liquidate anything without tax consequences? Aren't you going to have long term capital gains in your index funds too? Just your Roth is tax free. Be glad it isn't in a tIRA or else you'd be paying full tax rates and not long term capital gains rates. I don't understand why people complain about LTCG taxes -- it is a nice discount and perhaps a significant one depending on your tax bracket.

Just watch your total income and liquidate as much as makes sense each year to keep your taxes in line. Don't want those capital gains to push you into other things that you may not already be paying (e.g. the medicare tax). You could even sell it and buy it back to reset the Capital Gain basis if you really want it in BA (but you'll be paying the tax).

Can you wait until you're retired and perhaps sell it in the 0% LTCG rate? Or will pension and SS push you into the 15% range?
Mark | Somewhere in WA State
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

suemarkp wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:25 pm Do you think you can liquidate anything without tax consequences? Of course not. Aren't you going to have long term capital gains in your index funds too? Yes, index funds will have capital gains taxes too.

calmaniac response above in red
The issue is that I am less comfortable with the lack of diversification now than I was in 1995 when I did not know better. It's not so much that I want to cash out, as I'd love not to be stuck in a handful of relatively undiversified stocks that I bought in the mid-1990's. If I had invested in an S&P index fund in 1995, I'd just keep it there now and stay the course.

These stocks are great for charitable giving to a donor advised fund and such.
"Pretired", working 20 h/wk. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% Int'l LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTLX. Military pension ≈60% of expenses. Pension+SS@age 70 ≈100% of expenses.
frugalecon

Post by frugalecon »

I thought of this recent thread in the wake of the plane crash in Ethiopia. Having a concentrated position in a single stock can be very risky.
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

You'll have much lower capital gains if you sell your Boeing stock today.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

NotWhoYouThink wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:42 am You'll have much lower capital gains if you sell your Boeing stock today.
So smart and thoughtful of you to provide such insightful and timely advice.
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

Fieldsy1024 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:45 pm
NotWhoYouThink wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:26 pm Quit while you are ahead?

If you have been buying BA in your 401k you can probably rebalance your account (without tax consequences sit it stays in the account) to something besides Boeing stock - index stock or bond fund, whichever you need for your desired AA. Or you can let it ride and take the chance.

Decisions, decisions. Knowing when to get in and when to get out.
If it gets down to 399 I will pull out.
Unfortunately it fell straight past 399 to 369.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

New member Freddobbs asked a similar question which I've moved into a new thread, see: Time to buy Boeing?

The OP has not responded in this thread since December 2018. This thread is locked to redirect the discussion to Freddobbs' thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.