What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
HoosierJim

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by HoosierJim » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:46 pm

Just started Yalta- The Price of Peace - about the Yalta conference with Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin. I had to find Yalta on the map.

Coolest thing - to avoid alerting UBoats with radio traffic, if a message needed to be sent by the convoy transporting Roosevelt across the Atlantic, one of the ships would divert miles away from the convoy - send the message and never rejoin. Another ship from someplace else would join later.
Last edited by HoosierJim on Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:40 pm

The Warburgs; the story of a family in finance by Chernow’.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

mancich

Post by mancich » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:40 am

Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport. I may give it to my 15 year old daughter next, who seems to have grown an iPhone as another appendage :oops:

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:10 pm

deanbrew wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:52 pm
Kitty Telltales wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 4:17 pm
A Man Called Ove

I sense that there are some similar characters as Ove on this forum. I hear the film is good too, perhaps even better than the book.
My wife and I just finished the audiobook version of A Man Called Ove. We both liked it. I would stop short of saying it's a "great" book, but it is a "good" book. It's a bit repetitive with a lot of back and forth in time, but there are many funny and heartbreaking parts.

I know there is a Swedish movie made a few years ago, and a US movie is supposedly in the works, starring Tom Hanks. The Hanks movie was announced a couple of years ago, and I can't seem to find an update on when it is to be released.
I saw the movie a few months ago and it was worth seeing. I don't remember if it was in German or English now. As usual, it's better to read the book first. His cat played a role in the film, but it was much better to read about that.

Pugs1351

Post by Pugs1351 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:18 pm

I just finished “the Buy side: a wall street traders tale of excess”. I enjoyed it. Read it in about a week.

I also recently read “ breaking and entering” which was about a hacker from MIT. also enjoyable.

I really enjoy seeing what others are reading.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:21 pm

Just started reading WHAT TO DO WHEN I GET STUPID: A Radically Safe Approach to a Difficult Financial Era
Lewis Mandell

Interesting read for retirees who are aware, or even unaware of cognitive decline.

A well designed estate plan can easily be destroyed by someone suffering such a decline. Best laid plans and all....

A tip of my cap to denismurf for the book info.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Grantley

Post by Grantley » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:24 pm

Halicar wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:49 pm
Shirley Jackson: Novels and Stories (Library of America). I read We Have Always Lived in the Castle a few months ago, and I returned to the collection a few days ago, now on The Haunting of Hill House.
I read these as well and really enjoyed them. The Haunting of Hill House was made into a great film (B&W) as well.

Wings5

Post by Wings5 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:54 pm

Digital Minimalism, by Cal Newport. He is also the author of Deep Work and So Good They Can't Ignore You.

These books are great for any younger person trying to establish strong work habits. In Digital Minimalism he argues that the attention economy of engineered addictive behaviors (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.) is the new tobacco. People have always been bored but the new attention economy offers a "quick glance" instead of a quick nicotine high. He gets into the human cost of those addictions; and he argues that people need to reclaim leisure. Get outdoors or go actually socialize instead of swiping away at a screen on your couch all afternoon. He has several other suggestions.

Our fam is undertaking a digital declutter, getting rid of social media accounts and decreasing our news intake. So far we are noticing that we're less stressed, more engaged with each other, and more well-rested. Time will tell, but the book is very interesting!

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:36 pm

Pugs1351 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:18 pm
I really enjoy seeing what others are reading.
Me too Pugs.

I read a book every few days. And it's incredible how many excellent books I "discovered" reading this thread. No way I would've stumbled onto many of the books on my own. This is the best thread at Bogelheads.
Funding secured

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:47 pm

Just finished reading Small Fry by Lisa Brennan-Jobs. It's a fascinating book even if you're not slightly interested in Steve Jobs as a person. I don't have strong opinions on any of the principal characters in the book, but after reading it made me realize that our future self is the best judge of our own character. You can fool everyone else, but you cannot fool yourself.

joelly

Post by joelly » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:44 pm

Currently reading "The quiet side of passion" by Alexander Mccall Smith.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:09 pm

Capturing the Light: The Birth of Photography, a True Story of Genius and Rivalry (2013) by Roger Watson and Helen Rappaport. The story of how photography was invented by several people beginning work on the same problems at about the same time not knowing about each other.

This is a common theme in scientific and technical advancement, people in different locations having the same ideas at the same time, such as in this case. There are other examples, such as when Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibniz independently developed the calculus. Something clicks and suddenly the world is ready. An interesting read.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Went back a few years to read Guns, Germs and Steel. This is to go with the more recent 10,000 Year Explosion, Troublesome Inheritance, and Who We Are and How We Got Here.

Any other genetics-anthropology titles appreciated.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:06 pm

montanagirl wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:44 pm
Went back a few years to read Guns, Germs and Steel. This is to go with the more recent 10,000 Year Explosion, Troublesome Inheritance, and Who We Are and How We Got Here.

Blueprint: How DNA Makes Us Who We Are, by Robert Plomin.

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari. After Sapiens, also read Harari's other books, Homo Deus, and 21 Lessons for the 21'st Century.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:12 pm

The Other Side of Silence by Philip Kerr. I think this is the penultimate Bernie Gunther story.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:25 pm

montanagirl wrote:

Not much genetics but for some popularized anthropology writings might look at Craig Childs if you haven't already. Just finished his new book Atlas of a lost world: Travels in Ice Age America. Also both NPR's Science Friday and Scientific American seem to discuss & review some of the topics & books you seem to like. I sometimes write down titles but don't have any readily available at the moment.

A bit off topic but you might also enjoy writings of Dan Flores, a now retired environmental historian. He taught at U. Montana and has very interesting and provocative interpretations of both Northern & Southern plains human/animal/ecosystem interactions.

Also been several years since I read any of his but also look at Tim Flannery (believe that is correct spelling) He is Australian and writes about world wide but with an Aussie emphasis. If I remember correctly he is really big proponent of the idea the marsupials were killed off into extinction almost immediately by earliest humans.

sbaywriter

Post by sbaywriter » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:09 pm

I just finished Circe by Madeline Miller, which I enjoyed tremendously - I've read a lot of junk recently, because I'm lazy and so read a lot of junky novels, but this was fascinating and original and also easy to read. Although it draws heavily on Greek mythology, particularly the stories in the Odyssey - so maybe harder and not as enjoyable if you never read the Oddysey - although there is a nice glossary in the back that acts as kind of summary of Greek mythology..

Written from the viewpoint of Circe, goddess and witch. Kind of a fantasy and retelling of myth.

I'm now reading Soniah Kamal's Unmarriageable ( Pride and Prejudice in Pakistan) - for Jane Austen fans of course - Alys Binat meets Mr Darsee. I find the writing uneven and a bit odd in spots - I'm suspecting the writer is translating some Pakistani expressions into English and they sound odd in English - but maybe it's actually the way young girls speak in Pakistan. Also it was made clear that both English and Urdu are the official languages of Pakistan, and the heroine (Alys) teaches English literature - it wasn't clear to me which language was being spoken. But not the usual Jane Austen knock off - clearly the author had things to say about the culture of Pakistan, so I learned a lot. So overall a thumbs up.

Abel

Post by Abel » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:26 pm

FireHorse wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:40 am
"The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman.
It is about how information technology changing the way we do business...
An interesting counterpoint is The New Geography of Jobs by Enrico Moretti. One of his points is how Friedman basically got it wrong for those who are mobile and bright. Those workers will congregate and want to work near each other, feeding off of each other and enjoying the concentrated infrastructure, and won't be working remotely from some idylic mountain top location. And that of course makes a huge difference to the city or town where that happens to be.

Another one of Moretti's points is just how much luck plays a role in whether a city is successful attracting and growing a new industry. After the fact there's always a plausible narrative that gets applied, like how Boston has so many universities, so of course it's a biotech capital. Moretti points out how in the 70's-80's the US had 10's of cities with world class universities and 100's with sufficiently good universities that could have become the leader, and describes several cases of how luck played the pivotal role in creating a critical mass - first one or two top researchers, which then attract the necessary 2nd tier players, and it builds from there.

The book also has some cases of what a city or university tried to do to attract the heavyweights, and how well it worked.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:51 pm

Just starting Cibola Burn by James Corey. 4th book of The Expanse series. I’ve really enjoyed the first three books as I did the TV show. I am afraid book 4 and beyond will lose the beloved characters, but I will keep going.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:57 am

Bomb: The Race to Build - and Steal - the World's Most Dangerous Weapon" by Steve Sheinkin

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:25 am

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

bernoulli

Post by bernoulli » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:09 pm

"The Denial of Death" by Ernest Becker, wiki page here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Denial_of_Death

Still digesting it, it is reshaping my perspective on life - and death.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:34 pm

Just finished The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

Sorry, but it was painful. I hated it, but kept reading hoping to get something out of it. Mostly was a waste of time.

Far too much ridiculous corporate jargon nonsense, over and over again.

paradigm, synergistic, best-practice, core-competency, next level.

Book was full of fairy-tale problems with fairy tale endings. Utter nonsense.

Annoying. At least I didn't pay for it (free- Kindle prime).

Rant complete. I feel better now. Thanks.
Funding secured

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:47 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:34 pm
Just finished The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People....
What number is the "rant" habit? Could it out-effective the others?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:52 pm

DanMahowny wrote:

Sorry, but it was painful. I hated it, but kept reading hoping to get something out of it. Mostly was a waste of time.

Book was full of fairy-tale problems with fairy tale endings. Utter nonsense.

Annoying. At least I didn't pay for it (free- Kindle prime).

I couldn’t finish that one. I think I got halfway through the second habit, then gave up.

However, it wasn’t as bad as Think and Grow Rich. I gave up on that one by about page 20.

Apparently, my self is resistant to improvement.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

GCD

Post by GCD » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:07 pm

montanagirl wrote:

Sitting in the reading que on my desk are Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind and Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow. Both written by Yuval Noah Harari. They were recommended to me by a friend, but I have yet to get to them. The first has 4.5 stars out of 5644 reviews on Amazon, so perhaps there is something there, but I can't vouch for it personally.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:24 pm

DanMahowny wrote:

Agreed but you really have to work for a screwed up MEGA corp to relate (I worked for 2 of them). I thought our real product was intracompany politics. There are some obvious common sense things but sometime we are oblivious to the obvious.

Similar to really understanding a Scott Adam's Dilbert without having a boss like Dilbert's boss.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:39 pm

I just finished the 33 1/3 series "Aja" by Don Breithaupt.

This small book 130 page (6" x 4.5") book (more like a handbook) is a serious album revue of the classic 1977 Steely Dan release "Aja". While it was not my favorite SD album (The Royal Scam is my favorite), this album was considered their best. It blended jazz with pop layered over very dark and interesting lyrics.

The author must be a serious musician as he spends considerable time explaining the music construction of the songs, diving deep into jazz music theory (somewhere he tried to describe why the A sharp 13th flatted 9th and 5th chord worked in Black Cow). He lost me at times. As a very average guitar player and one who strives to understand music theory, Steely Dan can be very intimidating to me until I tune out the theory and listen to the songs. They had the ability to push very dark lyrics with very light colored music.

Walter Becker passed away in 2017 and thus half of the duo no longer is with us ("Daddy Dont Live in that New York City No More"). RIP Walter....we miss you.

Interesting book, but very detailed.

Ed

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:09 pm

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PurpleArc

Post by PurpleArc » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:25 pm

World Order - Henry Kissinger.

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:15 am

City of Djinns: A Year in Delhi by William Dalrymple. The author explores modern Delhi and reconciles it with several past dynasties that have come and gone.

Personally, I stayed 4 years in Delhi as a student and never realised that across the road was a 13th century Madrassa where intellectuals from Central Asia escaping Genghis Khan found a refuge. The knowledge they brought includes Unani medicine which has died out in its originating place (Greece) but still survives in Delhi to this day.

Enganerd

Post by Enganerd » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:34 pm

I am currently reading The Evolution of Everything by Matt Ridley. I recently reread the Naval farnam street podcast transcripts (thanks to a bogleheads thread: viewtopic.php?t=273887#p4399624) and it reminded me of how much I enjoyed the Rational Optimist also by Ridley, recommended by Naval. So I searched for more Ridley books. I decided on the Evolution of Everything because having just finished rereading The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins I find myself using the mental model of blind evolution as a metaphor for many things beyond simply genetics. And this is what Evolution of Everything is about and it starts out great, I already learned of a great and influential piece of writing that I have never been acquainted with, the Nature of Things by Lucretius.

Anyways I also searched bogleheads for discussion of Matt Ridley to see if others enjoyed his books. And found interesting commentary from some of my favorite posters. I had listened to multiple interviews with Ridley and his time as chairman of Northern Rock during the bank run and collapse never came up. While I still appreciate his books, and still am enjoying Evolution of Everything, I am grateful for posters such as Valuethinker for adding somewhat relevant biographical information of the author. There is say an irony of Ridley's works advocating free markets and less regulations expedite the emergence of new ideas and progress when because of lack of regulation Northern Rock created a fiasco in the credit bubble that required a taxpayer bail out. I will finish his book but I appreciate the context of Ridley's personal history :sharebeer .

mcblum

Post by mcblum » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:46 pm

Believe it or not, "All the President's Men" by Bernstein and Woodward. Saw the movie yesterday. No computers or cell phones!
they got the job done.
All the best, Marty

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:48 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:09 pm
GCD wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:07 pm
montanagirl wrote:

Sitting in the reading que on my desk are Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind and Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow. Both written by Yuval Noah Harari. They were recommended to me by a friend, but I have yet to get to them. The first has 4.5 stars out of 5644 reviews on Amazon, so perhaps there is something there, but I can't vouch for it personally.
Did not like Sapiens. First few chapters were interesting but after that it devolved into a bunch of speculative whatever.
This was exactly my reaction. I put it down at about the 2/3 mark and never went back.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Enganerd

Post by Enganerd » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:53 am

jebmke wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:48 pm
letsgobobby wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:09 pm
GCD wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:07 pm
montanagirl wrote:

Did not like Sapiens. First few chapters were interesting but after that it devolved into a bunch of speculative whatever.
This was exactly my reaction. I put it down at about the 2/3 mark and never went back.
I really enjoyed Sapiens, I found Harari's other books a bit more speculative but I still enjoy his writing style and thought process. However, I recommended Sapiens to a few friends and some loved it and others did the same thing, stopping roughly half way through. It is interesting how different people have different reactions to his admittedly ambitious attempt to describe human history in a popular book for the general public.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:14 am

Wilderness Librarian wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:25 pm
montanagirl wrote:

Not much genetics but for some popularized anthropology writings might look at Craig Childs if you haven't already. Just finished his new book Atlas of a lost world: Travels in Ice Age America. Also both NPR's Science Friday and Scientific American seem to discuss & review some of the topics & books you seem to like. I sometimes write down titles but don't have any readily available at the moment.

A bit off topic but you might also enjoy writings of Dan Flores, a now retired environmental historian. He taught at U. Montana and has very interesting and provocative interpretations of both Northern & Southern plains human/animal/ecosystem interactions.

Also been several years since I read any of his but also look at Tim Flannery (believe that is correct spelling) He is Australian and writes about world wide but with an Aussie emphasis. If I remember correctly he is really big proponent of the idea the marsupials were killed off into extinction almost immediately by earliest humans.
Flannery is excellent. His The Weather Makers is one of my favourite books (along with Field Notes from a Catastrophe by Elizabeth Kohlbert).

His natural history of North America is called The Eternal Frontier and his diagnosis of the frontier mindset is interesting.

He is a big exponent of the blitzkrieg thesis (so called) of the extinction of the mammoth and other charismatic mega fauna by the Clovis people about 13,500 years ago.

He does however consider the Chilean site which shows human inhabitants much earlier than that.

Since he wrote the book much more evidence has emerged that the Clovis people were not the first inhabitants of the Americas. But perhaps the first to come by the Alaskan landbridge as the last Ice Age receded.

This does not fully contradict the blitzkrieg thesis but it means the story has to be more nuanced. Perhaps the end of the Ice Age weakened the mammoth population to the point where humans could extinct it.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:23 am

HoosierJim wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:46 pm
Just started Yalta- The Price of Peace - about the Yalta conference with Roosevelt, Churchill and Stalin. I had to find Yalta on the map.

Coolest thing - to avoid alerting UBoats with radio traffic, if a message needed to be sent by the convoy transporting Roosevelt across the Atlantic, one of the ships would divert miles away from the convoy - send the message and never rejoin. Another ship from someplace else would join later.
My grandfather was involved in planning convoys across the Atlantic.

It involved making terrible decisions. Escort ships were always in short supply. If merchantmen fell behind the convoy or had been damaged they had to be left with their crews to try to save themselves whilst the rest of the convoy and escorts sailed on. Men condemned to die in blazing fuel oil or the cold waters of the Atlantic.

They could often read the German radio traffic and sometimes ships or convoys were deliberately sacrificed to draw off Doenitz's U Boat Wolf Packs from more important convoys.

They used cruise liners to move the troops. I believe no cruise liner troopship was ever sunk in the Atlantic during WW2.

Admirslty Convoy planning did it's job and did it well. But the sacrifice of lives was awful.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:43 am

I read Bad Blood, the story of Theranos. It was an absolutely amazing story. I find it amazing that all of these highly capable people were duped. Great cautionary tale.

It has also gotten me interested in patents. Apparently, she had hundreds of patents even though the technology did not work.

In my business, I've always focused on the technology, not the patents. Apparently, I've been doing it wrong. Anyone know a good "patents for dummies" book?

hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:16 pm

[Deleted]
Last edited by hdas on Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:34 pm

Just finished The Day the Bubble Burst: A Social History of the Wall Street Crash of 1929 by Gordon Thomas and Max Morgan-Witts, published in 1979, and based on extensive interviews with people who lived through it. Fascinating. A little bit too readable, I hope it's strictly accurate.

One tidbit is that all those reference to stock tips from the shoe-shine boy probably weren't generic. There was one real, famous shoeshine boy named Pat Bologna, who was famous as a conduit of market scuttlebutt.

I worry about the way that books, both fictional and, in this case, nonfiction, tend to present, uncritically, the popular views that successful stock speculators really had a magical intuition. In this book, Jesse Livermore in particular is presented as really having a sixth sense about the market--while he is succeeding. When he fails, catastrophically, it is never suggested that maybe he just been lucky. It's assumed that he had and continued to have the skill but was distracted by personal problems (although he liked "chasing girls"--I grew up with such euphemisms for sexual predation--and his marriage was perpetually in crisis).

I'm well into The Eighth Day, by Thornton Wilder.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:47 pm

Silencer, by James W. Hall.

Multiple murders, family disunion, and a mystery on an enormous ranch south of Lake Okeechobee.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:31 pm

"Cop Town" by Karin Slaughter, mystery thriller, so far excellent. This is the 2nd Karin Slaughter book I've read. For all the Michael Connelly, James Lee Burke, Elvis Cole, Dennis LeHane, Robert B. Parker, Lee Child fans I am pretty sure you would enjoy Karin Slaughter's books.

I also have been busy reading Alafair Burke's (James Lee Burke's daughter) books. I enjoyed all of them so far.
You may want to start with the Ellie Hatcher detective series, first book is "Dead Connection".

Happy Reading.

Dave

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Crash Landing : the long road home - a memoir / by Liz Jansen.

A personal & family memoir. At age 60 the author sets out on a solo motorcycle trip across half of Canada retracing her family history and Mennonite heritage. I selected the title as I like landscape imagery and historical geography and have some sketchy knowledge from college courses regarding rural Canadian Mennonite settlement & influence. Have to admit though I skimmed the book quickly in one sitting and didn't really read it for detail. I noted some of the place names and followed some of the routes in a road atlas but the book was too short on landscape and too personal a memoir for my tastes. It deals in part with metaphors of inward spiritual journey - so yes I got the point but still not what I had hoped for.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:54 pm

Billion Dollar Whale about the incredible looting of billions of dollars from the Malaysian people, and it seems most of it was spent partying and on things like real estate, art, and jewelry. Essentially one man took advantage of loopholes in the global financial systems and was abetted by greedy institutions including in the US. I listened to the audiobook and it seems like the story and writing was light enough to miss bits and pieces as sometimes my thoughts drift while driving and it doesn't felt like I missed anything critical.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212

SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:24 pm

On a science fiction/fantasy kick.

The Black Prism by Brent Weeks. Really enjoyed it and will continue on to the next book The Blinding Knife.

Also finished The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. As a gift I received all three books and have always wanted to read them. They are definitely a tough read.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Just finished Educated, a memoir by Tara Westover. Fascinating read, about a girl who grew up in a family that didn't believe in school (or doctors) and who overcame that to get her PhD at Cambridge.

Currently reading Florida, a book of short stories by Lauren Groff (really enjoying them so far), as well as The Complacent Class by Tyler Cowen and getting ready to re-read The Old Man and the Sea

SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:52 pm

I also just finished Tara Westover’s “Educated”. It was beautifully written and provided a view into her unique unbringing. One of the best books I have read in a while.

After a short break to read fiction, I then read another interesting nonfiction work: “Unexampled Courage: The Blinding of Sgt. Isaac Woodard and the Awakening of President Harry S. Truman and Judge J. Waties Waring,” Written by Richard Gergel, who now presides in the Charleston, SC, Federal courtroom used by Judge Waring in the 1940, it “reinvestigates an unpunished crime that, in Gergel’s telling, ignited the modern civil rights movement, including Truman’s desegregation of the military and the Supreme Court’s historic ruling overturning school segregation.” I highly recommend this book as well.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:44 pm

Re: Educated

Read it last year. Such a fantastic book. Incredible story.
Funding secured

FireHorse

Post by FireHorse » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:27 pm

I also just read "educated". SO GOOD!!!
It was recommended in the earlier pages of this thread.
Love this thread

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Threat by Andrew McCabe, the former FBI Director. Without commenting on agreement or disagreement with the author's slant, it does make for a good read in detailing many of the ways the FBI operates.

Tim