What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Fallible

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by Fallible » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:41 pm

protagonist wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:47 am
I'm reading Keith Richards' autobiography, "Life". To quote:
"Then 'Since my baby left me'. That was the first rock and roll I heard. It was a totally different sound, stripped down, burnt, no bullshit, no violins and ladies' choruses and schmaltz....
The silence is your canvas, that's your frame, that's what you work on; don't try to deafen it out." ...
Just curious, but while he did say "Since My Baby Left Me," did he mean "My Baby Left Me," which is the title of Presley's song (with the great Scotty Moore on guitar)? Or, maybe the author thought "Since" was part of the song title, when Richards was really saying, "Since 'My Baby Left Me' and didn't mean "Since" as part of the title, which he certainly would've known.
Last edited by Fallible on Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:44 pm

How to change your mind: what the new science of psychedelics teaches us about consciousness, dying, addiction, depression and transcendence / by Michael Pollan (the author of several noted & popular food oriented books). First heard about this on NPR's Science Friday program as one of their recommended readings for 2018. Although a bit overly wordy and introspective well researched truly unique and provocative. I had no idea of the extent history and contemporary serious research regarding psychedelic compounds and their therapeutic potential. Even though Pollan discusses his own recent guided trials (the role of guides is compared to that of shamanism) this is not to be misinterpreted as a recreational drug advocacy book. I suspect the title is a deliberate subtle pun - this book may well change your mind.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:53 pm

Fallible wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:41 pm
protagonist wrote:
"Then 'Since my baby left me'. That was the first rock and roll I heard. It was a totally different sound, stripped down, burnt, no bullshit, no violins and ladies' choruses and schmaltz....
The silence is your canvas, that's your frame, that's what you work on; don't try to deafen it out." ...
Just curious, but while he did say "Since My Baby Left Me," did he mean "My Baby Left Me," which is the title of Presley's song (with the great Scotty Moore on guitar)? Or, maybe the author thought "Since" was part of the song title, when Richards was really saying, "Since 'My Baby Left Me' and didn't mean "Since" as part of the title, which he certainly would've known.

He was writing about Heartbreak Hotel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4euyTDhFnk

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:05 pm

protagonist wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:53 pm
Fallible wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:41 pm
protagonist wrote:

He was writing about Heartbreak Hotel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4euyTDhFnk
You're right, Richards did refer to "Heartbreak," although it begins with "Well..." And now, after watching the great "Heartbreak" video again, I'll be humming that tune all day, probably longer. :-)
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

Grantley

Post by Grantley » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Just finished _Life of Samuel Johnson_ by Boswell. It was a slow read and I only read 10-15 pages a day. I try to mix in some serious stuff with the more fun reads.

Currently reading through the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey / Maturin Napoleonic Naval Warfare novels. This is my fifth time through the 20 volume series and obviously I love them. Also reading a few mysteries.

dewey

Post by dewey » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:40 pm

I just finished John Cleese's "Professor at Large." Delightful book. Often witty of course. But as often insightful and poignant. He's actually brilliant and very well educated (Cambridge, Law school, etc.). In brief summary, Cornell had (still has?) a program that invited accomplished people to be visiting professors--of sorts--speaking to classes, giving other lectures, etc., a few times a year. The appointments were for two years. But Cleese was so well received he kept being invited back. Many times. So many times they had to think of a new kind of appointment for him so they did. The book is his account of the experience. It covers quite a wing span of years. Extremely well written. Highly recommended.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:26 pm

Just finished reading Walden: or, Life in the Woods, by Henry David Thoreau (first time) and "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell (re-reading).

Just finished re-reading The Persuader, a Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child.

Re-read Hotel, by Arthur Hailey, because it was a bargain Kindle book, and it wasn't half bad, so I bought another one, The Moneychangers, but I'm not sure I'm going to finish it. Not that there's any similarity in themes, but Arthur Hailey was a fairly bad writer, in exactly the same way that Dan Brown is a bad writer, and the clumsiness and clunkiness are getting to me. It's about banking in the 1970s.

Of course, I shouldn't be reading it at the same time as The Day the Bubble Burst: A Social History of the Wall Street Crash of 1929, by Gordon Thomas and Max Morgan-Witts, because the latter is a much better book and it is real.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

blackfish

Post by blackfish » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:39 pm

I usually have two books going at a time. One audiobook as I commute 50 minutes each way for work, and one on my kindle.

Currently:

The House of Morgan: An American Banking Dynasty and the Rise of Modern Finance - Ron Chernow (Audiobook)
Citizen Soldiers - Stephen Ambrose (Kindle)

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:09 pm

schachtw wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:10 pm
Currently reading:

“What Would Happen if the President of the
USA Went Stark-Raving Mad”?

subtitle: Night of Camp David

Author: Fletcher Knebel
I am reading this as well. Was originally published in 1965. Author also wrote "Seven Days in May"
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:15 am

Need to mention Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. I enjoyed this book immensely.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008TUQ60G/re ... TF8&btkr=1
68 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:19 am

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:15 am
Need to mention Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. I enjoyed this book immensely.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008TUQ60G/re ... TF8&btkr=1
I love that book. One of my favorites.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:45 am

Read 2 books in last 2 days.

#1- Never Split the Difference
Fantastic book. I always felt I was an adequate negotiator. Can't wait to implement what I learned in this book.

#2- Hillbilly Elegy
I can relate to this one having grown up sorta poor in a crappy little town.
Funding secured

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:55 am

DanMahowny wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:45 am
Read 2 books in last 2 days.

. . . . .

#2- Hillbilly Elegy
I can relate to this one having grown up sorta poor in a crappy little town.
That's a very good book.

I could relate even though my own youth was much different.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

bck63

Post by bck63 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:22 pm

"The Epistle of James" in the Bible

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:50 pm

Magic City, by James W. Hall.

An old photograph of the Clay vs. Liston boxing match of 1964 in Miami Beach leads to the unravelling of a 40 year old murder mystery and an anti-Castro CIA plot.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

trustquestioner

Post by trustquestioner » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:58 pm

“Black Edge” about Steve Cohen and SAC.

Good, quick read. Pretty strong case that insider trading was/is widespread and, if the top guys are careful, very difficult to prosecute.

itsf8

Post by itsf8 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:44 pm

The Water is Wide by Pat Conroy
The Cigar Factory by Michelle Moore

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:24 pm

Shadow Captain by Alastair Reynolds.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=146455&p=4381396#p4381396

Every things free

Post by Every things free » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:26 pm

Since Oct.2018 19 books.
Just finished The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis and Business Secrets From the Bible by Daniel Lapin.
I'm encouraged to see all the readers.
You know when you are rich. You can buy anything you want but want nothing.

corysold

Post by corysold » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:22 pm

About a 1/4 of the way through "The Count Of Monte Cristo". Really like it. Totally missed it in any previous "classics" reading I've done.

blacklab

Post by blacklab » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:57 pm

Just read “All quiet on the Western Front” by Erich Marie Remarque in a new 2018 translation.

For some reason never got around to reading this classic. Not quite what I expected but I believe will be unforgettable.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:22 pm

Those who love flying, women especially, may enjoy A Spitfire Girl by Mary Ellis (as told to Melody Foreman), focusing on women who flew with the Air Transport Auxiliary in WWII. The ATA was formed in 1940 to fly new fighters and bombers from the factories to RAF and Fleet Air Arm airfields. Amazingly, these women, and men, flew many different types of aircraft for the first time, sometimes several different types in one day, including four-engine bombers, usually alone, in combat zones, and with mainly a compass and no radios. Ellis herself is rather amazing, going on after the war as a private pilot, airport manager, and even auto racer. She died last year at 101, just a few years after flying again in her beloved Spitfires, this time double-seaters flown by young pilots who admired her accomplishments.

I have no interest in flying an airplane, but after learning about the book in Ellis’s obit in the NYT, It reminded me of a family friend who transported new bombers and other military planes from U.S. factories to England and Europe during WWII. He often shared his experiences, including the dangers and close calls, with us kids in the ‘50s.

FireHorse

Post by FireHorse » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:26 pm

Two third way through "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood.
I have read some of author's presentation before I decided to read this book. I knew what triggers her to write this book and at what circumstances she wrote this book.
The story gives me chill. Hope the story will never become true.

hdas

Post by hdas » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:52 pm

Lords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the World by Liaquat Ahamed
"whenever there is a randomized way of doing something, then there is a nonrandomized way that delivers better performance but requires more thought" ET Jaynes

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:57 pm

I just finished Jane Harper's "The Lost Man". It's her third novel set in Australia. I've enjoyed them all and especially the writing in this one. Its set on outback cattle ranches in Queensland. I didn't see the ending coming ...

A good read for me in a little over a day.

I finished August Snow by Stephen Mack Jones several weeks ago. His protagonist is a Detroit ex-police officer, son of a black father and Mexican mother. He returns to Detroit, and starts some unofficial detective work and general housekeeping in his old neighborhood. I enjoyed the characters and the dialog and the descriptions of Detroit.

I've just started his 2nd novel with the same protagonist, Lives Laid Away.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Nacho Unleashed, by Laurence Shames.

On Key West a retired mobster's tiny dog saves the day, thwarts a mad scientist and all ends happily.

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:55 pm

UnDo It! Dr. Dean Ornish

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:01 pm

The Keith Richards book is awesome on audio too. Johnny Depp does some of it. Just picture the jack sparrow character reading to you.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:49 am

Wild, by Cheryl Strayed

Young woman with a very messed up life hikes the Pacific Crest Trail in 1995. Great read.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:59 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:49 am
Wild, by Cheryl Strayed

Young woman with a very messed up life hikes the Pacific Crest Trail in 1995. Great read.
Please answer my stupid question. I am considering reading this one, but want to know if this book is primarily for female readers only? I am a guy.
Funding secured

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:04 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:59 am
quantAndHold wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:49 am
Wild, by Cheryl Strayed

Please answer my stupid question. I am considering reading this one, but want to know if this book is primarily for female readers only? I am a guy.
Nah. I think the book has gotten something of a cult following among women with similar backgrounds, but she tells a good story regardless of the reader’s background.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:30 pm

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:04 am

Ron Chernow's biography of Ulysses Grant. Long but engrossing. Chernow's thesis is that Grant as an outstanding General, the ONLY Union General to succeed against Lee, and a flawed President that got a big thing right: Reconstruction and the protection of freed slaves.

Very much worth reading.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:38 am

Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins.

10 of 10 stars
Funding secured

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:54 am

steve roy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:04 am
Ron Chernow's biography of Ulysses Grant. Long but engrossing. Chernow's thesis is that Grant as an outstanding General, the ONLY Union General to succeed against Lee, and a flawed President that got a big thing right: Reconstruction and the protection of freed slaves.

Very much worth reading.
I liked the book as well, Grant is very underrated as a President.

You might also enjoy The Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant. This is two volumes but very readable. He may be his own best biographer.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:15 am

"Slaves in Paradise: A Priest Stands Up for Exploited Sugarcane Workers"

by: Jesus Garcia

A soul-moving tribute to, and memoir of, faith in action.

Recently finished "The Monks of Tibhirine: Faith Love and Terror in Algeria" by John Kiser, which was a fascinating read; and "The Ballad of the White Horse" by GK Chesterton because I'm a sucker for Britain, GKC, and epic poetry. :D
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

Yukon

Post by Yukon » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:16 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:38 am
Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins.

10 of 10 stars
6hrs into this audiobook. Amazing
Don't Work Forever.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:23 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:54 am
steve roy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:04 am

Very much worth reading.
I liked the book as well, Grant is very underrated as a President.

You might also enjoy The Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant. This is two volumes but very readable. He may be his own best biographer.
The backstory behind Grant's Memoirs is interesting. He lost his savings with by investing it with a Bernie Madoff type and also got cancer. So he struck a deal with Mark Twain to publish his memoirs and then scrambled to write them. He was racing the clock against death and towards the end was dictating them from his death bed. He finishing them only five days before he died. They were published after he died, sold well, and enabled his widow to live comfortably for the rest of her life.

https://www.writermag.com/writing-inspi ... ses-grant/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_ ... s_S._Grant

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:57 pm

Rembrandt's Eyes by Simon Schama, the British guy who did the Power of Art series for the BBC a long time ago.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:06 am

Recently finished Everything that Remains, a Memoir by the Minimalists by Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus. I highly recommend this book. It’s not so much about things or having less stuff but more so about life’s mission and how we focus our attention.

Also recently finished the Witch Elm by Tanya French. I enjoy her detective novels and writing style, and the Irish slang, location, and culture that comes through. For me, she’s a writer for someone that doesn’t usually read detective stories as a genre.

Currently reading The Originals, how nonconformists move the world by Adam Grant. It is ok, some interesting insights so I’d recommend but reads more like a draft than finished work to me.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:22 pm

A Land Remembered, by Patrick D. Smith.

This is a n novel about Florida, about the lives of three generations of a rural family from the 1860s through the 1960s. I thought it was very interesting.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:08 pm

"Rebirth of the Missouri Pacific, 1956- 1983" by H. Craig Minor.

Ok, I seriously doubt if any BHs head read this book or plan to read this book as it has a very narrow range of interest. The Missouri Pacific was a railroad which had lines from St. Louis to Kansas City to Pueblo, Co. and from St. Louis south to Texas and lines in between. As a 9 year old in 1964 our family took their "Colorado Eagle" from St. Louis to Pueblo for vacation and I became hooked on railroads.

The MP was in bankruptcy from 1933 to 1956 and the reorganization provided plenty of drama with Class A and Class B shares (A's were old preferred shares and B's were common from the pre-bankrupcty days). New management in the early 60's transformed the railroad into a regional powerhouse with heavy investment into the company and a bit of good luck....Texas became a growth market, primarily thru petro chemicals.

The drama between Class A and Class B shareholders was drawn out until the mid 70s when it was finally resolved. MP was merged into the Union Pacific (UP) in 1983 and thus became a "fallen flag" (term for a railroad which was merged and lost its identity).

Between 1956 and 1983, MP gained access to Chicago and merged with Texas and Pacific and innovated in many ways.

I dont recall much about the train ride in 1964 other than I woke up in Hoisington, Ks and during a stop noticed two clocks on the outside of the depot, an hour apart. The next morning the conductor explained that we passed from Central to Mountain time. Fascinating train ride.

Ed

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:28 pm

jebmke wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:09 pm
schachtw wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:10 pm
Currently reading:

“What Would Happen if the President of the
USA Went Stark-Raving Mad”?

subtitle: Night of Camp David

Author: Fletcher Knebel
I am reading this as well. Was originally published in 1965. Author also wrote "Seven Days in May"
Seven Days in May I liked. Will download this one and see..

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:52 pm

Kitty Telltales wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 4:17 pm
A Man Called Ove

I sense that there are some similar characters as Ove on this forum. I hear the film is good too, perhaps even better than the book.
My wife and I just finished the audiobook version of A Man Called Ove. We both liked it. I would stop short of saying it's a "great" book, but it is a "good" book. It's a bit repetitive with a lot of back and forth in time, but there are many funny and heartbreaking parts.

I know there is a Swedish movie made a few years ago, and a US movie is supposedly in the works, starring Tom Hanks. The Hanks movie was announced a couple of years ago, and I can't seem to find an update on when it is to be released.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

George Theo

Post by George Theo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:02 pm

Dry Bones by Craig Johnson
Walt Longmire mystery

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:13 pm

Atlas of a lost world: travels in ice age America / by Craig Childs. Part review of ice age ecology and earliest archaeological sites in North America and part the author's modern treks over the same areas. Interesting & worthwhile but I liked some of his other books better.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:14 pm

Hell's Bay, by James W. Hall.

On a fishing trip in the Everglades there are multiple murders as revenge for a local small town environmental disaster.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:17 pm

"Men at Work" by George Will.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:49 pm

Shirley Jackson: Novels and Stories (Library of America). I read We Have Always Lived in the Castle a few months ago, and I returned to the collection a few days ago, now on The Haunting of Hill House.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:16 pm

1) What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions, by Randall Munroe. Actually I'm reading it in Spanish--slowly, and cross-checking with the English: Qué pasaría si...?: Respuestas serias y científicas a todo tipo de preguntas absurdas. It is a great learning vehicle for the conditional tense and the subjunctive mood, and it is relatively easy for me because the content is technical rather than social and cultural. And I've found that Spanish that is a translation from English is easier for me to understand than "real" Spanish.

2) The Day the Bubble Burst: A Social History of the Wall Street Crash of 1929, by Gordon Thomas and Max Morgan-Witts, originally published in 1979 and currently available in a Kindle eBook edition for $1.99. It's very good, very fascinating, and almost too detailed, I hope their research is good. One interesting detail: stories about "stock tips from the shoeshine boy" probably don't mean just any shoeshine boy, but one specific shoeshine boy, named Pat Bologna, who was interviewed by the authors. Apparently he was famous for chatting with his clients and passing along stock tips and Wall Street rumors.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.