Personal Capital vs Fidelity Analysis

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
nesdog

Personal Capital vs Fidelity Analysis

Post by nesdog » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:11 pm

I just put in a few figures into my new PC account. I like the way the program breaks down the items into various categories, suggests changes, etc. However I'm wary of placing all of my investment info here....7 figures is sure to alert sales guys. I think I can do something similar with my Fidelity account but I don't know if the results are as detailed.

Any feedback on this? I definitely will not directly link external accts in PC. Rather, I would manually enter.

So I guess the question is on the safety of info placed in Personal Capital, as well as the usefulness of the app.

Thanks.....
Insert clever comment here...

student

Re: Personal Capital vs Fidelity Analysis

Post by student » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:21 pm

nesdog wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:11 pm
I just put in a few figures into my new PC account. I like the way the program breaks down the items into various categories, suggests changes, etc. However I'm wary of placing all of my investment info here....7 figures is sure to alert sales guys. I think I can do something similar with my Fidelity account but I don't know if the results are as detailed.

Any feedback on this? I definitely will not directly link external accts in PC. Rather, I would manually enter.

So I guess the question is on the safety of info placed in Personal Capital, as well as the usefulness of the app.

Thanks.....
I have used both and they are very similar. PC has an extra alternative category, which I just view as part of stock. Since you are not linking your accounts in PC, just divide everything by a factor of 10.

rhinopylon

Post by rhinopylon » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:15 pm

When I first opened my PC account with a very low 6 figure account, I got calls from a specific sales person. I told them I wasn't interested and to please stop calling. About a year later, that specific person must have been replaced because I got a few more calls from a new, specific person. I told them the same thing and I haven't heard a peep from them since then. It's been 5+ years that I've used them.

They're a great tracker and you only need to tell them a couple times to not call you about their paid services.

bradpevans

Post by bradpevans » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:48 pm

nesdog wrote:

Thanks.....
i love the software (and i tell them that!) ... and then politely decline the pitch(es). Just say you don't want to get into an Assets Under Management (AUM) model....

FWIW, they are < 1% for those who do want a cheaper AUM plan

arf30

Post by arf30 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:52 pm

Just use a Google voice number instead of your real number.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:24 pm

I'm not rich but I probably blip on their radar. The sales calls are not too bad. If I don't have time, I don't answer the call (it's a San Francisco area code). If I do have time, I usually talk to them and make them laugh, then politely but firmly decline. It's good to practice saying no. It's a useful skill in life.

jules

Post by jules » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:24 am

Where can one get more details on Fidelity Analysis? I’ve heard of full view, is Analysis what they’re calling it now?

Does Fidelity Analysis break down all your holdings across all companies by expense ratio?

FederalFIRE

Post by FederalFIRE » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:59 am

nesdog wrote:

Thanks.....
I have a mid 6-figure portfolio in PC and used to get about one call a quarter. If I happened to pick up I basically said no thanks and that was it - no pressure. Over time the calls are lesser, and about the only thing I get now are the alerts on their website suggesting a call with an advisor. Low price to pay for the service in my opinion.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:10 am

I no longer can login to Personal Capital without setting up an appointment online with them. At that point I say adios amigos to Personal Capital.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

FederalFIRE

Post by FederalFIRE » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:33 am

SpringMan wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:10 am
I no longer can login to Personal Capital without setting up an appointment online with them. At that point I say adios amigos to Personal Capital.
I get the pop up suggesting it, but just hit the X in the top right and it’s gone, not much different than pop up ads on any other “free” website.

student

Post by student » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:46 am

FederalFIRE wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:33 am
SpringMan wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:10 am
I get the pop up suggesting it, but just hit the X in the top right and it’s gone, not much different than pop up ads on any other “free” website.
Same.

student

Post by student » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:22 am

jules wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:24 am
Where can one get more details on Fidelity Analysis? I’ve heard of full view, is Analysis what they’re calling it now?

Does Fidelity Analysis break down all your holdings across all companies by expense ratio?
They have all kind of info. I never used the aggregator part of Fidelity Analysis as I prefer to enter the numbers myself and update when necessary.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:20 am

The popup is new since I logged in the last time. Tried again and was able to get in by exiting the popup. Accounts are showing up twice and are not correct. Need to figure out how to delete them a d start over.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

FederalFIRE

Post by FederalFIRE » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:44 am

SpringMan wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:20 am
The popup is new since I logged in the last time. Tried again and was able to get in by exiting the popup. Accounts are showing up twice and are not correct. Need to figure out how to delete them a d start over.
You may try giving it a day and logging in again. Sometimes account links don't work for a day or two and things can appear messed up.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:07 am

FederalFIRE wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:44 am
SpringMan wrote:
You may try giving it a day and logging in again. Sometimes account links don't work for a day or two and things can appear messed up.
Thanks, will give that a try again in a few days. Looks like an issue with passwords and security questions. Removed all accounts from personal capital and tried to reestablish. It failed and in doing so messed up my Vanguard login by too many attempts. Reestablished my Vanguard password and Personal Capital still is not resolving Vanguard accounts.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

FederalFIRE

Post by FederalFIRE » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:08 am

SpringMan wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:07 am
FederalFIRE wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:44 am
SpringMan wrote:
Thanks, will give that a try again in a few days. Looks like an issue with passwords and security questions. Removed all accounts from personal capital and tried to reestablish. It failed and in doing so messed up my Vanguard login by too many attempts. Reestablished my Vanguard password and Personal Capital still is not resolving Vanguard accounts.
Yeah, that can be a problem. I usually don't try to re-login to any site until I've waited at least 24 hours to see if it just resolves itself since I inevitably screw up a question or password somewhere!

Topic Author
nesdog

Post by nesdog » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:34 am

jules wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:24 am

It doesn't really break down everything as cleanly as PC. I don't think they show ER. It's mostly about asset allocation, etc. and offers some suggestions going forward.

Topic Author
nesdog

Post by nesdog » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:50 am

Are most users okay with providing a linked account username/password? It would certainly make updating easier. Maybe use 2FA for added security?

MnD

Post by MnD » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:18 pm

I find it incredibly useful for investments.
I would not find it useful entering things manually.
Never agree to any of the tele-meetings (even the short preliminary one) that the sales people suggest and they will stop calling.
Or just don't answer any San Francisco area code calls.