Keep Bogleheads Free! (as in unaffiliated)

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Keep Bogleheads Free! (as in unaffiliated)

Post by Rick Ferri » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:19 pm

This post may be premature; however, I feel an open discussion has to begin.

The Boglehead's was an idea inspired by Jack Bogle. It was created on Morningstar by Taylor Larimore in the late 1990s and moved here a few years later. I've been involved for most of that time as have many others. This is a site where we can discuss any topic within the realm of sensible investing and other matters.

That being said, I do not want to see this great organization turn into a "Vanguard" group. If we are to survive and grow in the future, we must stay independent of any entity that has a stake in the game, including Vanguard.

I'll also add that the industry playing field for index funds has leveled considerably over the past couple of years. It’s no longer a clear advantage to "go to" Vanguard to get low-cost, well-managed index funds. Any difference among Vanguard, iShares, SSgA, Schwab, and Fidelity funds is negligible, and all funds trade for free on at least one platform.

Thank you!
Rick Ferri
Last edited by Rick Ferri on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.

bloom2708

Re: Keep Boglehead's Free!

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:20 pm

How will this help Bogleheads stay "free"?
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Free meaning unaffiliated.
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:26 pm

Have there been plans made to charge for membership?
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:26 pm

Rick Ferri wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:22 pm
Free meaning unaffiliated.
Ahhh
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:27 pm

I second your emotion, Rick.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Re: Keep Bogleheads Free! (as in unaffiliated)

Post by Rick Ferri » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:29 pm

Title changed for clarity. :happy

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:31 pm

There are enough posts complaining about vanguard that I’m not sure this will be an issue .

xenial

Post by xenial » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Rick, why do you think Bogleheads would ever become affiliated with Vanguard? I love Vanguard, but I see no advantage to an affiliation.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:35 pm

How is this actionable?

Really, what is the ask of us to keep Bogleheads "free?"
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:38 pm

Is there something a-foot that we don't know about?

It seems pretty unaffiliated to me - lots of discussions on some advantages of Fidelity versus Vanguard, etc.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:38 pm

A practical idea is to open sub-forum areas for specific fund complexes for folks to discuss the issues / features of each house. That may help bring in some other folks who think of this as a Vanguard only forum....

In the future, the location and presenters for the Bogleheads conference could become a bit less tightly connected to Vanguard as well.

There is already a very robust discussion of the pros and cons for each provider and methods to maximize low-cost index investing wherever you put your money. The Wiki is clearly not overly biased in key areas like how to approximate total market funds, etc.

PVW

Post by PVW » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:39 pm

I agree.

Even though I take more than I give to this site, I participate because of personal interest and charity. My participation would be significantly reduced if this became Vanguard's Bogleheads or something similar. I enjoy being part of a grassroots movement, but I don't want to be a tool for corporation profit.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:40 pm

Do we also want to limit people from profiting off the Bogleheads name?

bligh

Post by bligh » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:41 pm

Rick, I never thought Bogleheads was affiliated with Vanguard or had any plans to.

Vanguard is certainly the most popular fund manager around here, and I hold the bulk of my investments through them too. However, I also hold iShares ETFs via Fidelity and Schwab ETFs at Schwab.

Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:41 pm

So there is no confusion, I started this conversation as an open discussion about the future of the Bogleheads, which includes a discussion about Vanguard, to which I am giving my opinion that there should be no affiliation between the Bogleheads and Vanguard.

Rick Ferri
Last edited by Rick Ferri on Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beyou

Post by beyou » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:42 pm

Given the rarity that any Vanguard employee openly posts on this board, does not seem they have an interest in manipulating anything.
I also think they have no appetite for taking on more technology obligations to run anything additional.

Now maybe google would like to collect data on us, bh.google.com I can see that coming sooner ;-)

The risk here is really continuity if the original contributors and administrators "move on" and there is nobody to carry the torch on a volunteer basis.
The only actionable item is to understand how those who want to help can get involved in the future, should there be a problem with the volunteer staffing of such an endeavor.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Not sure, I do understand the depth of this topic or what triggers this discussion.

To me I do not see an affiliation to any one holding company, we do discuss and recommend all holding companies.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Blackrock_iShares
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Fidelity
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Charles_Schwab
Last edited by LiveSimple on Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

greenback

Post by greenback » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:47 pm

When i first started lurking on this forum I was convinced it was directly affiliated with Vanguard since that what most users talked about. Only after spending some time on the forum did I realize this is not the case.

Rick I agree that it is best we starting thinking ahead about ways to remain unaffiliated, since it is easy for new folks to make the mistake.
You shouldn’t retire until your money starts making more money than you made in your best year.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:51 pm

Slippery slope.

Next no actual tickers or ETF/mutual fund names. Unfair.

Just use "brokerage" and "us stock fund". Talking about expense ratios could be seen as "taking sides".

Financial correctness and fairness is taking over.... :|
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:52 pm

beyou wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:42 pm
The risk here is really continuity if the original contributors and administrators "move on" and there is nobody to carry the torch on a volunteer basis.
Specifically the most-active Moderators seem to be what separates this forum from the crazy ones over at Reddit, etc.

Long Live LadyGeek!! Where would we be without here :?

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:55 pm

Rick Ferri wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:41 pm
So there is no confusion, I started this conversation as an open discussion about the future of the Bogleheads, which includes a discussion about Vanguard, to which I am giving my opinion that there should be no affiliation between the Bogleheads and Vanguard.

Rick Ferri
Rick, I agree with you this forum has more value if it remains independent. After reading your post I was concerned that something had changed or was about to change that caused you to post on this topic. Fortunately that does not seem to be the case.

Since I am posting I would like to thank you for your participation in this forum and also for hosting and producing the "Bogleheads on Investing" podcast. I have learned much from you and I look forward to learning more going forward.

Angst

Post by Angst » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:01 pm

I'm not sure I see a present danger...
but either way, here's something not only actionable but always worth considering:

https://www.bogleheads.org/support.htm

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:17 pm

Everyone's 401k is already affiliated.

Most of the time I see (Vanguard, Schwab, Fidelity or low cost broker) being recommended. I find it hard to point people to higher fee/AUM brokers. That is what we want to get people out of (when it makes sense).

It is kind of hard to un-affiliate Jack Bogle with Vanguard. I see no problem with leading with Vanguard for certain posts. Moving from Edward Jones for example.

The Wiki is full of non-Vanguard information and funds.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:19 pm

I agree with Rick that this Boglehead forum should remain independent/unaffiliated.

Personally, I have never thought it to be otherwise.
AFAIK, Jack Bogle and his investing ideas were and still are the inspirations for this forum and not an advertising campaign for VG.

I admit that i am concerned about Vanguard (and maybe even this forum) that this may change or 'go away" with Jack's passing...I sincerely hope not.

I see what has happened since Steve Jobs passing to Apple's pristine image with many recent mis-steps (updates breaking things just one example).
Steve was not perfect, but he insisted on perfectionism.

Vanguard concerns me too. I can't help but wonder what Jack was thinking about VG's less than stellar customer service and IT issues.

This post was not intended to highjack Rick's post, but I thought it would be OK to voice my opinion.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:24 pm

In the spirit of making this actionable, how can a normal poster like me contribute financially to the forum so that it can indeed remain user-supported and free? Preferably online. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

cheezit

Post by cheezit » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:45 pm

Certainly the trend has been for the forum to be less tilted towards Vanguard over time rather than more, no? After all, the Morningstar forum was called "Vanguard Diehards" while the modern incarnation does not include Vanguard in its name, the wiki gives instructions on how to construct a low-cost 3FP with a slew of different brokers, etc. Was there some particular event that happened to make you worry that the forum was becoming overly attached or biased, Rick?

mrc

Post by mrc » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:45 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:24 pm
In the spirit of making this actionable, how can a normal poster like me contribute financially to the forum so that it can indeed remain user-supported and free? Preferably online. :)
https://www.bogleheads.org/support.php
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:12 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:52 pm
beyou wrote:
Specifically the most-active Moderators seem to be what separates this forum from the crazy ones over at Reddit, etc.

I agree! This site shines for a number of reasons, but the top notch moderators really make Bogleheads stand tall.

Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:20 pm

cheezit wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:45 pm
Certainly the trend has been for the forum to be less tilted towards Vanguard over time rather than more, no? After all, the Morningstar forum was called "Vanguard Diehards" while the modern incarnation does not include Vanguard in its name, the wiki gives instructions on how to construct a low-cost 3FP with a slew of different brokers, etc. Was there some particular event that happened to make you worry that the forum was becoming overly attached or biased, Rick?
Yeah, Jack Bogle died. That doesn't change the forum, but I think it's going to change how Vanguard "views" the Bogleheads. I could be wrong. Either way, I'm trying to get out front with a discussion on the topic.

Rick Ferri

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:34 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Long Live LadyGeek!!
Not to slight the hard work done by LadyGeek, by any means, but I think it's appropriate to ackowledge the time and effort put in by the entire team. Thanks to you all for keeping this board as civil as it is.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:38 pm

This thread is now in the Forum Issues and Administration forum (administration).

Thanks for the kind words. Moderating this forum is a critical part to this site's success. Everyone who runs this site is 100% volunteer.

Stated many times over, we follow the man - not the company.

As for the wiki, its content represents the interests of this forum and its editors. I assume we have a ton of Vanguard fund info because that's what the editors own and are interested to write about their own investments. I own Vanguard funds, so I use them in my wiki examples.

However, the wiki has info on 8 Investment management companies not called Vanguard (nor Wellington).
  • Blackrock iShares
  • Charles Schwab
  • Dimensional Fund Advisors
  • Dreyfus
  • Fidelity
  • John Hancock Funds
  • Northern Funds
  • T. Rowe Price
  • TIAA
Anyone who wishes to develop a wiki article for a fund owned by any of the above companies is more than welcome to become a wiki editor. See: Join the Wiki!

BTW, I'll be creating a Fidelity account in the next few days. My employer just issued some benefits managed by Fidelity and I need to sign-up to receive those benefits. Also, Fidelity will be the place my Health savings account goes as soon as I have enough funds to start investing.

Update: Corrected the number of companies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:54 pm

Rick Ferri wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:20 pm
cheezit wrote:
Yeah, Jack Bogle died. That doesn't change the forum, but I think it's going to change how Vanguard "views" the Bogleheads. I could be wrong. Either way, I'm trying to get out front with a discussion on the topic.

Rick Ferri
Rick, is the discussion being sought about just the Vanguard aspect of the Bogleheads or the Bogleheads' future in general without Jack? And how might Vanguard view the Bogleheads differently?
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:02 pm

bligh wrote:
Rick, I never thought Bogleheads was affiliated with Vanguard or had any plans to.

Vanguard is certainly the most popular fund manager around here, and I hold the bulk of my investments through them too. However, I also hold iShares ETFs via Fidelity and Schwab ETFs at Schwab.
Me too. I have money in Vanguard and Fidelity Funds all located at Fidelity.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:09 pm

Rick Ferri wrote:
cheezit wrote:
Was there some particular event that happened to make you worry that the forum was becoming overly attached or biased, Rick?
Well, let's assume that Jack's death does change how Vanguard "views" the Bogleheads. That, by itself, does not change the Bogleheads.

What is it you are concerned about?

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:11 pm

I think Bogleheads promotes low expense index investing. This can be done at a multiplicity of brokerages.

The main problems I can see are paying for maintenance of the site, time spent on it by owner and administrators. Money can be solved by asking for donations. Don’t know about time spent by others.

chw

Post by chw » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:42 pm

As a relatively new BH (as compared to you!), it seems that Vanguard is only part of the conversation, and that the primary go to brokerages are- Vanguard, Fidelity, and Charles Schwab. It seems most have their reason for using on the big 3 as their custodian, and may hold the funds/etfs of other companies at one of these custodians.

My general perception is that the community is centered somewhat on Vanguard, but not necessarily "married" to Vanguard due to a wonky website, as well as average customer service.

Just my 2 cents...

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:15 pm

Rick Ferri wrote:
cheezit wrote:
Was there some particular event that happened to make you worry that the forum was becoming overly attached or biased, Rick?

Rick Ferri
I've read every post and I'm still confused.

What, specifically, is the concern?

leeks

Post by leeks » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:35 pm

CFM300 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:15 pm
Rick Ferri wrote:
cheezit wrote:

Rick Ferri

+1
Is there a danger that the forum is being turned over to Vanguard for hosting the site or something?
Without some specific proposal to speak against, I don't understand why this is a thread.

Ged

Post by Ged » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:47 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Two ways I know of. It is possible to make a charitable contribution to the Bogle Center for Financial Literacy which supports this site, or by using the Amazon affiliate link when making purchases from Amazon.

Angst

Post by Angst » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:03 pm

Ged wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:47 pm
Elsebet wrote:
Two ways I know of. It is possible to make a charitable contribution to the Bogle Center for Financial Literacy which supports this site, or by using the Amazon affiliate link when making purchases from Amazon.
https://www.bogleheads.org/support.htm

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:13 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:12 pm
GoldStar wrote:
beyou wrote:

I agree! This site shines for a number of reasons, but the top notch moderators really make Bogleheads stand tall.
+1

I really appreciate the tight control exercised by the moderators to make sure that threads don’t get out of control. The prohibition of discussions on politics, religion, etc. is welcome.

My hope is that new moderators will be waiting in the wings when our current excellent team decides to slow down a bit.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:30 pm

Rick Ferri wrote:

Rick Ferri
I thought your original post was clear, not sure why the confusion!!

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

ram

Post by ram » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:46 pm

I agree that Bogleheads should remain free of any advertisement/ affiliation.
Perhaps once a year there should be thread thanking all the moderators for their excellent volunteer work.(forum name or real name, whatever they prefer)
In the future if adequate volunteer moderators are not available then a provision for paid moderators should be made.
Volunteer donations should be the first source of the money for this payment. If that is not adequate paid membership remains an option.
I would prefer paid membership than see sponsors and advertisements on this forum.
Ram

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:49 pm

The Bogleheads forum would lose a great deal of its interest for me if I perceived it to have any direct "affiliation" with Vanguard, as distinct from a devotion to John C. Bogle's ideas (as presented in many places, including how many? a dozen? books).
Last edited by nisiprius on Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

BlueCable

Post by BlueCable » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:02 pm

Seems to me that Fidelity is recommended more frequently than Vanguard on this forum, at least for brokerage services.

leeks

Post by leeks » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:23 pm

dwickenh wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:30 pm
Rick Ferri wrote:

Rick Ferri
I thought your original post was clear, not sure why the confusion!!

Dan
Where/how has anyone proposed "affiliation"?

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:08 pm

I understand the point (I think), although it’s kind of an interesting conundrum. This site is the “Bogle” heads, named after Jack Bogle - who created Vanguard. While this site is not “affiliated” with Vanguard, it will almost certainly always be “associated” with Vanguard for that very reason. As in, the literal first thing that anyone who is not familiar with this site thinks of when they hear the name “Jack Bogle,” is Vanguard (assuming they know who he is). If they then hear about a site that was named the “Bogleheads,” their natural next thought is likely to be “it must be associated with Vanguard.”

I agree fully that this site should remain independent (not that I perceive a threat to this?), but due to its namesake it will probably always be associated with Vanguard, at least to an outsider looking in.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:11 am

CFM300 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:15 pm
Rick Ferri wrote:
cheezit wrote:

Rick Ferri

I agree. :confused

The "concern" expressed is really ambiguous, unclear and not at all actionable.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

leeks

Post by leeks » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:14 am

I also think we should not charge $10/year membership to be able to post on this site. But there would be no need to discuss this unless someone was suggesting it.

Have there been some back-room discussions about some kind of Vanguard affiliation not being disclosed?

Is one of the founders or moderators or frequent posters on Bogleheads going to work for Vanguard and the OP thinks that person would have to relinquish his/her role on this site?

Does Vanguard have a marketing person making promotional posts without disclosing the bias?

It seems like more disclosure is needed to understand the context of the OP's concern.