How did mylife.com get my info?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Turbo29

Re: How did mylife.com get my info?

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:34 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:25 am
Turbo29 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:56 am
TravelGeek wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:14 am

Very true. There are many apps that seem to reques access to contacts and other data without good reason. They get uninstalled. The Chase app on Android wanted access to my photos. No thanks.

I assumed that they need that when you are photoing checks for deposit.
Maybe, though my understanding is that Android lets developers request just camera access (without access to existing photos). Also, I don’t have a Chase checking/savings account, only credit cards, so I will never deposit checks. And I believe the app could actually request the necessary permission only when access is actually needed, which in my case is... never. But instead it was asking at startup and refusing to do anything without the permission. I have not tried again in a year or so to see if they improved the app. I use the iOS app on my iPad when traveling, which “behaved” :)

It’s just an example, though. It’s surprising how many apps both on iOS and Android request location access even when there is really no need for it.

And then, of course, there are apps that secretly share data with Facebook. Story from yesterday:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/you-give-a ... 1550851636
Just checked my phone. The Chase app only has camera, storage, and location permission. No photos permission. I wonder why it needs location. Maybe for security? If someone is on the other side of the world doing something with your accounts they might want to know.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:51 am

Some information is available from public records online, but oversharing on social media is probably how they get most of it. This is what it means when social media hawks say that you are the product. Accepting friend requests from people you don't know or who are impersonating people you do know, answering surveys, who/what you "like" or "follow," getting involved in political, religious, legal, or financial discussions, etc.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:12 am

Out of curiosity I checked my profile on mylife.com.

It contians incorrect information, including my birthday, family members, marital status, political affiliation, name spelling, neighbors, among other things.

I think the accuracy of its data is relatively poor.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:18 am

Turbo29 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:34 am

Just checked my phone. The Chase app only has camera, storage, and location permission. No photos permission. I wonder why it needs location. Maybe for security? If someone is on the other side of the world doing something with your accounts they might want to know.
One of the Chase iOS app specifies that it uses the location to show ATMs near the user. I took the permission away and it continues to work, but says I need to enter a location to search for ATMs.

New To-Do item: prune apps on all devices and review/limit permissions for survivors. iOS “now” lets you choose whether location access is always granted or only when the app is used. Chase has apparently requested “always” - no way do they need that.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:19 am

HueyLD wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:12 am
Out of curiosity I checked my profile on mylife.com.

It contians incorrect information, including my birthday, family members, marital status, political affiliation, name spelling, neighbors, among other things.

I think the accuracy of its data is relatively poor.
I wonder if some of that is intentional. The red flag for criminal records is probably designed to get you to sign up for a paid account to see and edit the details.

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:20 am

re: mylife.com,
wait...some of you are going to that website, typing in your name & zipcode, and checking the box "this is me" ??

You've voluntarily closed the loop for them! And rest assured they are mining the device you are using for further profile info and other data on you.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:35 am

Tamales wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:20 am
wait...some of you are going to that website, typing in your name & zipcode, and checking the box "this is me" ??

You've voluntarily closed the loop for them! And rest assured they are mining the device you are using for further profile info and other data on you.
I put my name in and my city but not my zip code. Did not check "this is me."

There are over 20 people in this city with the same name yet somehow it put me at the top of the list. It got my birthdate and two previous cities correct but every "relative" was someone I had never heard of.

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:47 am

Turbo29 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:35 am
Tamales wrote:

There are over 20 people in this city with the same name yet somehow it put me at the top of the list. It got my birthdate and two previous cities correct but every "relative" was someone I had never heard of.
Interesting. So they're mining some level of info from your computer even if you don't check that box.

Just for kicks, and if you don't mind, clear your cookies cache and next time you do a cold reboot of the same device, open an "incognito" browser window and enter the same info, and see if it still puts you at the top of their search results.

Or if you have a VPN you can use where you can anonymize your IP address to make it appear you are accessing from another state, and also use an incognito browser window on top of that, if it still gets it right, that is really troubling.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:59 am

Tamales wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:47 am
Turbo29 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:35 am
Tamales wrote:

Interesting. So they're mining some level of info from your computer even if you don't check that box.

Just for kicks, and if you don't mind, clear your cookies cache and next time you do a cold reboot of the same device, open an "incognito" browser window and enter the same info, and see if it still puts you at the top of their search results.

Or if you have a VPN you can use where you can anonymize your IP address to make it appear you are accessing from another state, and also use an incognito browser window on top of that, if it still gets it right, that is really troubling.
Okay, so the search above was on my laptop via my wifi connection and cable internet. I always cold reboot my computer at least daily and clear my cache of all cookies several times daily but as I can tell from ad tracking some information about this computer is persistent.

To run your trial, I took my phone, turned off the wifi so that it went over the cellular carriers network (giving it a different ip address linked to a different isp) and indeed my name appeared third on the list, not at the top. I also used incognito mode for this search.

Okay, I am going to run one third trial I hadn't thought of. I run Linux and have the Chromium (not Chrome) browser installed. The Chromium browser also has an add-on active, which spoofs my location into to about 15 miles from my true location (although I could set it anywhere in the world). Let's see what happens... Ha! it puts me third on the list like my phone. So it's not ip number it's something in my Firefox browser that I used for the initial search that is identifying me.

One interesting thing I have noticed. I have Chrome (not the Chromium used above) installed and only use it for banking. Whenver Ubuntu Linux updates this browser, Chase will ask me for two factor id. I always use the incognito tab for banking and always do a cold reboot prior to banking but, unless the browser has been updated since my last visit, Chase recognizes this computer.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:08 pm

cresive wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:15 am
The funny thing is that MyLowLife seems to only know my neighbors as people I am affiliated with. And those they presumably got by simply using my address; I don’t know most of them well enough to have them in my contacts (or vice versa).
This can come back to bite you in your tush as well. I was trying to open a second Ally Bank account and encountered a glitch when they tried to check my profile on CheckFax (I think that is the credit monitoring for checks). Back when Equifax gave away my identity, I froze ALL of my credit, including this service, so Ally couldn't confirm I was who I said I am. Using information from a different service, I was asked questions about my history that presumably only I know. There were the usual "in what town is this address?" "have you ever lived..." etc. I actually failed the test on two questions that I couldn't answer correctly. One was a list of names, of which the only one that struck a chord was Dawn Wells. The name was familiar, but I couldn't place it. Afterward, I realized that Dawn Wells played Mary Anne on Gilligan's Island and I have friended her on Facebook. Now technically, we are "friends" but the only association I have is having watched her on TV and a few posts I have read of hers on Facebook. How the heck should I associate her name with "intimate" information of my past. Another question, "In what city is North 15th Street?" really stumped me. That could be DC, NYC, Fort Lauderdale, etc. Again, having never lived on a N. 15th st, or really knowing anyone who did, how the heck could I figure the answer?

I was so frustrated that I almost moved my accounts to another online bank. After a few days, I received a call and Ally explained why the delay had occurred and finally we were able to establish my bonafides. However, I won't forget the day I failed the test of knowing who I am. This is the danger of having so much un-vetted information about you on the web
[/quote]
------------------------------------------------

The first time I encountered those Creepy Questions From The Past, it was, well, ultra creepy.
It asked which of the following streets I had lived on, and only one was correct, from the 1950's! :shock:

It turns out that "none of the above" is purposefully the answer sometimes.
So when I seriously could NOT remember ever having a mortgage from any of the listed lenders, "none of the above" was indeed the correct answer. That means "they" REALLY think they "know it ALL", or maybe I did once have a mortgage at XYZ Weekend Mortgages, Inc., and if it was on the list, I'd pick it, and be "wrong"!

It's getting more important to put in fake info for security questions, as mentioned elsewhere on BH recently (this thread?). I sort of liked the idea of having a mother named something like "#?Fructose48" :happy

But when one of THOSE shows up in the 'identity quizzes'....!??

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:20 pm

If you think app settings on your phone give you control over things, there is a lot of information on the internet that says otherwise. For example:

https://www.wired.com/story/app-permissions/
Apple and Google run the app ecosystems and establish the app permissions guidelines. But they’re largely relying on the app makers to follow the guidelines. App makers don’t want to overwhelm people; they’re relying on the consumers to just get it. Or, maybe not to get it.
“The number of [control] settings have increased, but they’re basically bundling a bunch of decisions together and forcing users to make impossible decisions,” Sadey says. “The apps might need it for functionality, but it might also share it with marketers and advertisers alike.”

It’s also not made super clear to people what happens when they revoke access to something they previously gave permission to.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:40 pm

I think a lot of you are missing the point.

You can take as many precautions as you like, but realize that your personal information is likely stored in hundreds of places that are entirely beyond your control.

- Your friend's phone has your name and phone number and maybe tagged photos of you.

- Your friend's Gmail account has your email address and maybe emails from you discussing travel, finances, romance, and god knows what.

- Your friend syncs her personal email (with all of your info) to Outlook on her company laptop.

- Your dentist's billing system has your home address, credit card number, date of birth, etc.

- Your sibling's iCloud calendar has a reminder set for your birthday.

- Your library has a database listing every book you've checked out for the past decade.

If your friends' accounts get hacked or an app steals all of their contact info, well, their contact info is your personal information.

Maybe one of your friends makes it even easier. Maybe they create their own nifty little address book in a Google Doc, listing your name, address, phone, birthday, place of employment, etc. and etc. Or maybe they put all of that in a Word document on an unencrypted computer that was then stolen in a Starbucks one day.

My point is that you can't stop others from being careless with your own information, and there are hundreds of people or organizations with whom you share your information.

It's like people avoiding Gmail because of privacy concerns. Fair enough. But probably more than half of the people you communicate with are using Gmail, so...

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:49 pm

CFM300 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:40 pm
I think a lot of you are missing the point.

You can take as many precautions as you like, but realize that your personal information is likely stored in hundreds of places that are entirely beyond your control.

My point is that you can't stop others from being careless with your own information, and there are hundreds of people or organizations with whom you share your information.

It's like people avoiding Gmail because of privacy concerns. Fair enough. But probably more than half of the people you communicate with are using Gmail, so...
All very true, but there is also a lot of personal information that I don’t share with anyone, or if I do (say, with Vanguard or my physician), it is hopefully more protected than emails I sent to a friend with a gmail account.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:07 pm

TigerNest wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:31 am
munemaker wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:54 pm
I looked up myself. The income and net worth were way off. They are probably extrapolating from census data in your zip code. They have some woman I never heard with a criminal record listed as a relative. They have me listed as having criminal violations which can only be traffic citations. I would not worry too much about this site.
Yeah, they show me with a big red box saying I have a "Court, Arrest or Criminal Records." I don't. I assume it's one of those sites that try to scam you into paying to take it down.
Maybe. Traffic tickets and sometimes unpaid parking tickets count so I suspect many of us will get that warning.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:13 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:49 pm
All very true, but there is also a lot of personal information that I don’t share with anyone, or if I do (say, with Vanguard or my physician), it is hopefully more protected than emails I sent to a friend with a gmail account.
And yet all sorts of companies and organizations get hacked all the time. Dozens of financial and healthcare companies listed here, unfortunately:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_data_breaches

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Gmail is more secure than whatever billing system my dentist uses.
Last edited by CFM300 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:13 pm

Your library has a database listing every book you've checked out for the past decade.
I'm not sure that this is true ... it may depend on your library system (and what state you live in ... across states, state protection of state residents' rights vary). I've read articles that have said that at least some library systems are very careful not to maintain a patron's borrowing history. Some of these articles were published post 9/11 when the government was trying to force various organizations to share private information about their clients. I remember reading that many library systems either didn't maintain a borrowing history, or had changed policies to ensure they weren't maintaining such a history. In my experience, libraries/librarians have long been in the business of respecting patron's privacy rights.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:19 pm

mariezzz wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:13 pm
Your library has a database listing every book you've checked out for the past decade.
I'm not sure that this is true ... it may depend on your library system (and what state you live in ... across states, state protection of state residents' rights vary).
Of course. I listed it as an example. It may not be true that your sibling has entered an iCloud reminder for your birthday either, which was another fictitious example I gave.

beyou

Post by beyou » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:20 pm

If you try to get removed from this site, they politely refuse and offer to sell you some vague premium services.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:21 pm

CFM300 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:13 pm
TravelGeek wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:49 pm
And yet all sorts of companies and organizations get hacked all the time. Dozens of financial and healthcare companies listed here, unfortunately:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_data_breaches

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Gmail is more secure than whatever billing system my dentist uses.
I don’t disagree with you but I thought we were talking about companies or apps or individuals abusing/misusing/selling/sharing data, not hacking. There is little I can do about hacking of databases that I simply have to be in (my Vanguard account, Social Security, my insurance company). By “more protected” I didn’t mean from hacking, but rather from unauthorized or unexpected sharing/selling of my data due to privacy laws. I should have been more clear.

Post by 2015 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:26 pm

inbox788 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:03 pm
2015 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:35 pm
SimonJester wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:44 am
This used to bother me but not I am thinking whatever, in 40 - 50 years its not going to matter....
Yep. Hence I'm sure somehow someway someone knows the size of my underwear.
In 40-50 days, the size of my underwear isn't going to matter if I gain or lose 20 pounds. It's not something a salesperson at a store or in the future an AI couldn't figure out anyway.

"Hello Mr. Yakamoto and welcome back to the GAP!"
https://youtu.be/7bXJ_obaiYQ?t=35
I was being facetious. Slightly.

worthit

Post by worthit » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:33 am

I emailed mylife couple of days ago requesting that all my information be removed. But I received an auto generated response saying that it cannot be removed - similar to what killjoy and Travelgeek describe in their responses. I see that Clark Howard has an email contact (which is what I used) and a phone # to reach them. I am going to try the phone # next. But is there any other way to get the information deleted for certain?

Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:19 pm

According to mylife, I don't exist. Makes me happy :happy . A few years back, I was irritated by the increasing number of data brokers (I was on their sites), so I spent some time removing myself from sites like spokeo, peoplefinder….... Process varied across them, one even required a letter via postal mail. I figured it would only help so much as a new one crops up all the time, and my real estate records are public, so address avail. But maybe it helped. I do minimize social media but am on LinkedIn. I still can't believe the number of my Senior Level IT connections that linkedIn tells me to wish them a Happy Birthday.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:35 pm

2015 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:35 pm
Yep. Hence I'm sure somehow someway someone knows the size of my underwear.
That (size of my underwear) I can deal with yet I wish they would also include the brand name. That way I can receive spam with special offers of something I can use!
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:28 pm

I believe that there will be more data about you available on the web the more you sign up to and participate in social web sites and buy things on the web. I have only one email address, only give info on present Boglehead web site. We have only 2 credit cards, do not participate in Facebook and similar. I looked at mylife.com and they have nothing on me. White Pages has my present address, but some old addresses and relatives are wrong.

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:00 pm

The funny part is the section that defaults to might be a sex offender. Everyone might be a sex offender or is a sex offender. Zero people are not sex offenders according to the website.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:24 pm

Turbo29 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:59 am
Okay, so the search above was on my laptop via my wifi connection and cable internet. I always cold reboot my computer at least daily and clear my cache of all cookies several times daily but as I can tell from ad tracking some information about this computer is persistent.

To run your trial, I took my phone, turned off the wifi so that it went over the cellular carriers network (giving it a different ip address linked to a different isp) and indeed my name appeared third on the list, not at the top. I also used incognito mode for this search.

Okay, I am going to run one third trial I hadn't thought of. I run Linux and have the Chromium (not Chrome) browser installed. The Chromium browser also has an add-on active, which spoofs my location into to about 15 miles from my true location (although I could set it anywhere in the world). Let's see what happens... Ha! it puts me third on the list like my phone. So it's not ip number it's something in my Firefox browser that I used for the initial search that is identifying me.

One interesting thing I have noticed. I have Chrome (not the Chromium used above) installed and only use it for banking. Whenver Ubuntu Linux updates this browser, Chase will ask me for two factor id. I always use the incognito tab for banking and always do a cold reboot prior to banking but, unless the browser has been updated since my last visit, Chase recognizes this computer.
Thanks for doing those tests.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:49 pm

Horsefly wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:25 pm
You can have your information removed from MyLife.com. Send an email to RemovalRequests@mylife.com. In the body of the email tell them you want your information removed, and include a link to the page about you on MyLife.com. DW and I did this last week, and it works.
won't they then log your email address in your profile as well?

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:02 pm

F150HD wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:49 pm
Horsefly wrote:
You can have your information removed from MyLife.com. Send an email to RemovalRequests@mylife.com. In the body of the email tell them you want your information removed, and include a link to the page about you on MyLife.com. DW and I did this last week, and it works.
won't they then log your email address in your profile as well?
Probably, but who cares because you create a dedicated opt out email address to handle all of your opt out needs.

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:03 pm

This article describes how to get your profile deleted. It says basically be persistent and to keep repeating the request. I'm on repeat #1 .We'll see how it goes.
https://medium.com/@tamaragane/how-to-r ... f89aff1aff

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:37 am

DanEmmy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:03 pm
This article describes how to get your profile deleted. It says basically be persistent and to keep repeating the request. I'm on repeat #1 .We'll see how it goes.
https://medium.com/@tamaragane/how-to-r ... f89aff1aff
Second request seems to have worked. They said it'll be gone in 24hrs.

Topic Author
goingup

Post by goingup » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:09 pm

Update:
Upon googling my name this afternoon the mylife.com profile did not appear. The request to remove my profile must have been honored. This particular peep hole into my vital stats has been plugged....for now.

Just to reiterate, I'm not a person who uses (or has ever used) social media. No FB, Instagram, Snapchat. I do use Twitter with an alias name, but maybe they can plumb out interests somehow.

Thanks for all the replies and shared stories.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:42 pm

This site is doing a poor job from what I see.
I looked myself up and was surprised at how far off the data was. Income is half the reality; networth 1/4 of the reality- okay (and good that it is low since if a relative looks me up they won't know how much I make :)) - these I get - these are guesses or based upon some old/prior thing. BUT then it states my current home value as being 40% of what it actually is - a simple deed/zillow/etc. search will give them the right number. Also - current job is 18 years out of date - all they need to do is scrape Linked-in to update taht.
Some of the "Views" section is bizarre and complete opposite of who I am - that's what is concerning.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:49 pm

Funny - looked up someone else I know and it shows him as both a "Democrat" and a "Tea Party Supporter" -...

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:08 pm

I just looked up myself and most of their "facts" listed for me are false. Wrong ethnicity. Wrong religion. Wrong income. Wrong net worth. Wrong relationship status. Wrong friends. Etc. I sent them a removal request.

IngognitoUSA

Post by IngognitoUSA » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:27 pm

This one is equally scary

Www.familytreenow.com

keepingitsimple

Post by keepingitsimple » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:47 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:24 pm
Horsefly wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:05 pm
killjoy2012 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:34 pm
Horsefly wrote:
I tried this yesterday and just got a canned response that my page is complied from public record and that they won't remove it, but if I pay them for a premium membership, I may be able to edit/remove some data points. I told them what they could do with their paid membership....
I've heard similar reports. Not sure why mine worked. What I got was, in part "The referenced profile has been removed as requested." I have no idea what causes it to work sometimes and not others. Maybe try again?
I had basically the same experience as killjoy2012. First an automated reply stating:

“Thank you for contacting MyLife™ Customer Care. This note is to inform you that we have received your inquiry and will begin processing your request.

Please note that we respond to e-mail messages in the order received. Your Removal Request should be processed and completed within 7-10 business days.”

and then shortly thereafter another message saying

Thank you for contacting MyLife™ to request removal of your Public Background Report & Reputation Score.

Unfortunately the information on your Public Background page cannot be removed as it is gathered from public records, government, and other public sources for the purpose of helping people learn more about others for business, dating and other reasons.”
Travel Geek, I read the article Clark Howard wrote about getting one's info deleted from MyLife and recalled he said if you were talking with them on the phone, to be persistent. So I decided to be persistent with the email method to see if it would work. It did. Here's what I did:

1. I emailed RemovalRequests@mylife.com
2. I requested my information be removed and included a link to the page about me.
3. I then received the first automated acknowledgment email saying it would take 7-10 days (like you received)
4. I responded to this automated email by simply copying and pasting my original request and link to my info page.
5. I then received the second automated email saying unfortunately they couldn't remove my page (like you received)
6. I responded to the second automated email by again copying and pasting my original request and link to my info page.
7. After step 6 above, I received a third automated response that said (among other things) "The referenced profile has been removed as requested. Please allow the required 24 hours for the profile to be completely removed."

I started this process this past Saturday night. This evening (Monday) I checked MyLife and am no longer listed. I also clicked the link I had sent in my request and it now says the page I am searching for no longer exists. So, persistently making the same request seems to have worked. If you want to see if it will work for you, I suggest simply responding to the last email they sent you and making the same request and including the link to your info.

Best of luck!
Keeping It Simple

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:05 pm

Seeing this same thing

“Thank you for contacting MyLife™ to request removal of your Public Background Report & Reputation Score.

Unfortunately the information on your Public Background page cannot be removed as it is gathered from public records, government, and other public sources for the purpose of helping people learn more about others for business, dating and other reasons.”

keepingitsimple

Post by keepingitsimple » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:33 pm

F150HD wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:05 pm
Seeing this same thing

“Thank you for contacting MyLife™ to request removal of your Public Background Report & Reputation Score.

I suggest opening the email you received and respond by again requesting your information be deleted and including a link to your information page. Restating my request by responding directly to the email I received back from mylife is what resulted in my info being deleted.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:06 am

Finridge wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:08 pm
I just looked up myself and most of their "facts" listed for me are false. Wrong ethnicity. Wrong religion. Wrong income. Wrong net worth. Wrong relationship status. Wrong friends. Etc. I sent them a removal request.
Update: I sent a removal request, and fairly immediately I received a response stating that it would take 7-10 business days to process my request. But then, 20 minutes later I got this response... Given how quickly they sent it out, and the fact that is was at night (not during regular business hours), I assume it was robotically generated and that there is no real person named "Kristina D." The gist is that they can't do anything unless I PAY THEM MONEY and "upgrade" to a "premium membership"
Dear [Finridge],

Thank you for contacting MyLife™ to request removal of your Public Background Report & Reputation Score.

Unfortunately the information on your Public Background page cannot be removed as it is gathered from public records, government, and other public sources for the purpose of helping people learn more about others for business, dating and other reasons.

As MyLife is also here to help you monitor what’s public about you, and help you improve your Reputation, we offer several services that we recommend you use to:

- Editing your public information

- See and delete your information on other sites you can’t control

- Verify and correct your Background Report

Next Steps:

Please contact a Customer Care Representative to upgrade to Premium Membership by calling 888-704-1900 or sign up online at www.MyLife.com.

We are open Mon-Fri 6am-7pm, Sat-Sun 6am-5pm PST to provide unlimited free member support.

Sincerely,

Kristina D.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:11 am

They list my son as 'native american', I am not, my wife is not. So have to talk to my wife about that.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:45 am

GoldStar wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:49 pm
Funny - looked up someone else I know and it shows him as both a "Democrat" and a "Tea Party Supporter" -...
My profile says the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if it's deliberate misinformation in the hopes that people will volunteer their correct information.

keepingitsimple

Post by keepingitsimple » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:12 am

Finridge wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:06 am

Update: I sent a removal request, and fairly immediately I received a response stating that it would take 7-10 business days to process my request. But then, 20 minutes later I got this response... Given how quickly they sent it out, and the fact that is was at night (not during regular business hours), I assume it was robotically generated and that there is no real person named "Kristina D." The gist is that they can't do anything unless I PAY THEM MONEY and "upgrade" to a "premium membership"

Finridge, here's how to delete your profile:
-Reply to the latest email you received (the one saying unfortunately they can't delete), include your URL link again and request both the link and your information be deleted again. After making this second request you will likely receive an email stating your profile will be deleted within 24 hours. This is what I did and it worked.

Best of Luck,
Keeping It Simple

keepingitsimple

Post by keepingitsimple » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:43 am

HOW I GOT MY MYLIFE INFO DELETED:

1. I emailed RemovalRequest@mylife.com and requested my information be removed and included the URL link to the page about me.
2. I then received the first automated acknowledgment email saying it would take 7-10 days.
3. I replied to this first automated email by copying and pasting my original request and link to my info page.
4. I then received the second automated email saying unfortunately they couldn't remove my page.
5. I replied to the second automated email by again copying and pasting my original request and link to my info page.
6. After step 5 above, I received a third response that said my profile had been deleted (see copy of email below). I have verified that my profile was indeed deleted and the URL I submitted is no longer active.

-My suggestion, for those who have already received the email stating unfortunately your profile can't be deleted, is to reply to the email by making a request again that your profile and URL be deleted. I believe you will then have your profile deleted.

After completing the above steps, here is the last email I received from them:

Hi,

Thank you for contacting MyLife™ Customer Care.

We appreciate your Inquiry about the information on MyLife.com. The information on each profile page is gathered from public sources, which can be easily found online using asimple Google search.

The referenced profile has been removed as requested. Please allow the required 24 hours for the profile to be completely removed.

If you are still seeing the page, clear the History/Cache on your internet browser. Sometimes a page you have viewed previously can be seen from your history even though the page no longer exists. If you are seeing search results from major search engines like Google, Yahoo or Bing, allow 5 business days for the results to be removed by the search engine provider.

If you feel that your specific profile was not removed, respond with the website URL of the profile page. Or send the following information exactly as shown on the profile: Name, Age, City, State.

Contact a MyLife.com Customer Care Representative to learn more about MyLife Premium and how to control and monitor your personal information online.

If you need additional assistance or have further questions, please feel free to contact our MyLife.com™ Customer Care representatives toll-free at (888) 704-1900.

We are open Mon-Fri 6am-7pm, Sat-Sun 6am-5pm PST to provide unlimited free member support.

Sincerely,

Irish A.

Topic Author
goingup

Post by goingup » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:52 am

keepingitsimple wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:47 pm
TravelGeek wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:24 pm
Horsefly wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:05 pm
killjoy2012 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:34 pm
Horsefly wrote:
I tried this yesterday and just got a canned response that my page is complied from public record and that they won't remove it, but if I pay them for a premium membership, I may be able to edit/remove some data points. I told them what they could do with their paid membership....
I've heard similar reports. Not sure why mine worked. What I got was, in part "The referenced profile has been removed as requested." I have no idea what causes it to work sometimes and not others. Maybe try again?
I had basically the same experience as killjoy2012. First an automated reply stating:

“Thank you for contacting MyLife™ Customer Care. This note is to inform you that we have received your inquiry and will begin processing your request.

Please note that we respond to e-mail messages in the order received. Your Removal Request should be processed and completed within 7-10 business days.”

and then shortly thereafter another message saying

Travel Geek, I read the article Clark Howard wrote about getting one's info deleted from MyLife and recalled he said if you were talking with them on the phone, to be persistent. So I decided to be persistent with the email method to see if it would work. It did. Here's what I did:

2. I requested my information be removed and included a link to the page about me.
3. I then received the first automated acknowledgment email saying it would take 7-10 days (like you received)
4. I responded to this automated email by simply copying and pasting my original request and link to my info page.
5. I then received the second automated email saying unfortunately they couldn't remove my page (like you received)
6. I responded to the second automated email by again copying and pasting my original request and link to my info page.
7. After step 6 above, I received a third automated response that said (among other things) "The referenced profile has been removed as requested. Please allow the required 24 hours for the profile to be completely removed."

I started this process this past Saturday night. This evening (Monday) I checked MyLife and am no longer listed. I also clicked the link I had sent in my request and it now says the page I am searching for no longer exists. So, persistently making the same request seems to have worked. If you want to see if it will work for you, I suggest simply responding to the last email they sent you and making the same request and including the link to your info.

Best of luck!
Keeping It Simple
Keeping it Simple:
My public profile got deleted in 4 days after one request. Why did you keep emailing them after they acknowledged your first request and said it would be removed in 7-10 days? Were you trying to speed up the removal process?

PinotGris

Post by PinotGris » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:05 am

Hmmm. I was just going to send an email to have my info removed. Then it occurred to paranoid me that this may be a way to harvest email accounts.
Did you all use a fake or alternate email account?

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:27 am

keepingitsimple wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:47 pm

Best of luck!
Keeping It Simple
Thank you, Keeping It Simple. After reading your post last night, I responded to their 2nd email declining the removal with a robotic “please remove...” repeat of my original message. And a few hours I received a message confirming that they will remove the profile, just as you described. :sharebeer

I’ll check tomorrow to see if they did as they said.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:29 am

PinotGris wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:05 am
Did you all use a fake or alternate email account?
I used an alternate email that I use for junk mail purposes. I believe my profile actually showed that they had that email.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:05 pm

Halicar wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:45 am
GoldStar wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:49 pm
My profile says the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if it's deliberate misinformation in the hopes that people will volunteer their correct information.
Yup - it seems there are a few comments that they use for lots of folks ("second amendment supporter" being another) to try to raise eyebrows and get you to pay-up for a full report.
I'm just blowing this off as Internet B.S. This is only ONE of the many sites that are doing this now - even if you succeed in getting them to shut you off on their site (although who knows for how long it would last - they may simply add you back in 30 days) - there are another 20 sites you need to do the same with. Doesn't seem worth the time as the information is obviously suspect to begin with.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:30 pm

You are all wasting your time worrying about this - they have thousands of complaints against them with the BBB and have had a number of lawsuits against them throughout the years. There are reputable background check services and mylife.com is NOT one of them (e.g. no sane business/corporation uses their services for any legitimate purposes).
I wouldn't contact them to be removed - it will only provide them more information (and you will likely be re-added after a period of time).
Also - mylife is but one of many companies out there doing this - trying to remove your name/public-info from the Internet will only be a game of whack-a-mole.

PinotGris

Post by PinotGris » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:08 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:30 pm
You are all wasting your time worrying about this - they have thousands of complaints against them with the BBB and have had a number of lawsuits against them throughout the years. There are reputable background check services and mylife.com is NOT one of them (e.g. no sane business/corporation uses their services for any legitimate purposes).
I wouldn't contact them to be removed - it will only provide them more information (and you will likely be re-added after a period of time).
Also - mylife is but one of many companies out there doing this - trying to remove your name/public-info from the Internet will only be a game of whack-a-mole.
From the English used I am not sure it even originates in the US.