My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:45 pm

Here's the thread: 17-18 CRV 1.5T TSB A18-147 Cyl Misfire, Fuel Rich, Engine Whirlng Noise

As noted in the thread, this Technical Service Bulletin applies to All 2017-2018 CR-Vs. Replace the intake and exhaust camshafts, and all rocker arm assemblies? Talk about expensive, not to mention time consuming. There's some discussion this is indeed related to the oil dilution problem.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:48 pm

wasp09 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:10 pm
New TSB posted in crvownersclub:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1axlDuG ... PcsFz/view

Honda says engine is running normally but somehow no good for spark plugs and camshafts.

Perhaps owners should start checking spark plugs and listening to engine for whirling sound.
Thanks for info. It now appears that there can be damage to the camshafts and rocker arms in this engine, which is related to the oil dilution issue. The "fix" has now been expanded to include inspection and possible replacement of cams and rocker arms. Anybody want to guess what could cause abnormal wear to the cams and rocker arms? Eh, I'm guessing it might have something to do with trying to lubricate an engine with a bunch of fuel thinning out the oil. Now we have some tangible evidence from Honda that engine damage can be occurring due to fuel dilution in this engine. Anyone feel like rolling the dice and owning one after it runs of warranty?

This is getting even more ridiculous. In addition to the picture of the hapless CRV owner squinting at the orange camouflage oil dipstick to discern where the oil level is, sticking the dipstick to his nose to smell for fuel, we now have this poor sap lifting the hood to listen to see if he can discern "whirling" noises. Believe me, it''s not a quiet engine so picking up "whirling" noise will be about as slippery as figuring out where the oil line is on the crappy dipstick. It's more of a carnival act than owning a vehicle really ought to be.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:29 pm

munemaker wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:57 pm
jabberwockOG wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:48 pm
I don't think they actually understand what this is going to do to their reputation with traditionally smart consumers that buy new Honda products.
Maybe yes, maybe no. I read CR-V sales are through the roof. Most people do not check their oil and are clueless. I would be buying one toward the end of this year, but will be going with a Mazda CX-5 or Highlander unless I see some convincing evidence Honda has fixed the problem, which I do not expect.
I had also planned to buy a CR-V but not after reading this thread and the latest TSB on camshafts and spark plugs.

Toyota's engines use either port injection or port and direct injection. Toyota also does not use turbo chargers. Toyota's V6 engine has been around for quite a while and I have not heard of these kinds of problems. Mazda engines are also direct injection and now some are also turbocharged.

So it appears that Toyota may be the way to go to avoid these kinds of problems.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:40 pm

This latest prompted me to check carcomplaints.com and there are now a few oil dilution complaints now on the 2019 CRV.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/CR- ... gine.shtml

I figured they would start coming in about February. Suspected that the 2019 would be no different from the 2017 and 2018 even though Honda said it applied the software "fix" to these before shipping.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:36 pm

CAMSHAFT LOBE DAMAGE
Proper lubrication is vital to maintain normal camshaft operation. When there is a lack of lubrication you'll begin to notice wear patterns. This is due to increased friction as the camshaft rotates. If left unaddressed, you run the risk of ruining your bearings, or even breaking the cam cap because of the high amount of friction and heat.
https://highwayandheavyparts.com/n-1284 ... -wear.html

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:12 pm

This was a Google translation of the statement released by Dongfeng Honda in China regarding the CRV oil dilution issue. I emphasized the section that mentions the engine damage they described as attributable to oil dilution in the 1.5T engine.
Google translation

Statement part of the CR-V (1.5T) vehicle due to design reasons, the vehicle continues to travel at low temperatures in a short distance, the engine oil level will increase, the oil level increases to a certain degree, there will be engine failure indicator light. If the vehicle is continuously operated in this state, it may cause engine damage and there is a safety hazard. Dongfeng Honda Motor Co., Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as Dongfeng Honda) decided to initiate a recall from May 22, 2018, which caused many inconveniences to the owners of the vehicle. Dongfeng Honda apologized. In order to allow car owners to feel at ease with their car, Dongfeng Honda will provide lifelong repairs to the main components of the vehicle engine within the scope of the recall. In the implementation of the recall, Dongfeng Honda will entrust the owner of Dongfeng Honda Automobile's special sales service to sign the “Dongfeng Honda Automobile Engine Extension Repair Service Certificate”. I. Vehicle Scope: Part of the 2018 Siwei CR-V equipped with a 1.5T engine produced on February 14, 2017 - February 27, 2018. 2. The main parts list crankshaft, main bearing, connecting rod, and even Rod bearings, pistons, piston rings, piston pins, cylinder heads, camshafts, valves, cylinder blocks. Third, during the owner's car use, if the engine oil level increases to a certain degree, the engine failure indicator will light up, causing the engine crankshaft to be damaged, the oil pump damaged, the piston cylinder liner damaged, and the camshaft damaged. The Dongfeng Honda will be free for the owner. Vehicle replacement engine assembly. Fourth, during the owner's car use, if the damage caused by improper use or improper maintenance in other places, not belonging to the scope of repair services to thank CR-V (1.5T) owners of patience and trust, for the implementation of the recall The vehicle, Dongfeng Honda will present a 500-yuan fine vouchers and free maintenance once. In the future, Dongfeng Honda will use the more reliable products and services to return the support of the majority of car owners. For more information, please contact Dongfeng Honda Automobile Sales Service Center or call Dongfeng Honda Customer Service Hotline 400-880-6622, 800-880-9899,018
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/2017-20 ... 47145/127/

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:31 pm

CULater wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:36 pm
I have concluded that you are Honda’s most loyal customer.

I do appreciate these details.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:50 pm

Problems with Direct Injection in case you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... rLNDgrIw3U

digital

Post by digital » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:01 pm

I just got the fix on my 2017 CRV yesterday.
However my dealership said that there was no need to replace my climate control unit, even though it is mentioned as a subitem on the receipt.

Anyone had a similar experience ?

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:10 am

Just to keep this waving -- went back to the dealer yesterday and asked to have the CRV checked for oil dilution and for cam wear, following the latest TSB. Asked to have the results documented on my service report, but they didn't do it so I had to get in their face to have that done. They state there is no oil dilution and no evidence of cam wear. Funny, because my oil level is right back up to the top of the orange popsicle stick just like before the "fix" was applied. Same old lie and deny from the friendly Honda guys! I suggest the following: (1) DO NOT buy one of these things, but if you have one (2) CHECK your oil level and now (3) CHECK your camshafts.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:29 am

CULater wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:10 am
Just to keep this waving -- went back to the dealer yesterday and asked to have the CRV checked for oil dilution and for cam wear, following the latest TSB. Asked to have the results documented on my service report, but they didn't do it so I had to get in their face to have that done. They state there is no oil dilution and no evidence of cam wear. Funny, because my oil level is right back up to the top of the orange popsicle stick just like before the "fix" was applied. Same old lie and deny from the friendly Honda guys! I suggest the following: (1) DO NOT buy one of these things, but if you have one (2) CHECK your oil level and now (3) CHECK your camshafts.
Isn't it now going on 5 months since you first became aware of this issue? I think you are hanging onto your CRV just so you can keep this thread going.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:38 am

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:29 am
CULater wrote:
Isn't it now going on 5 months since you first became aware of this issue? I think you are hanging onto your CRV just so you can keep this thread going.
Actually its been a year I think. A long time to have this eating at your attitude and life each day - I advise selling the car and moving on with life.
Others who have this situation have traded in their affected CRV's and they are now happy - how much does happiness cost?

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:40 am

smitcat wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:38 am
neilpilot wrote:
CULater wrote:
Actually its been a year I think. A long time to have this eating at your attitude and life each day - I advise selling the car and moving on with life.
Others who have this situation have traded in their affected CRV's and they are now happy - how much does happiness cost?
So you advise others to sell their CRV, but you keep your's going just so you can maintain an active presence in this thread. Now I understand. :(

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:55 am

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:40 am
smitcat wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:38 am
neilpilot wrote:
CULater wrote:
So you advise others to sell their CRV, but you keep your's going just so you can maintain an active presence in this thread. Now I understand. :(
Hello Neil,
I am not the OP.
I do not own a CRV affected by this issue.
I was replying that it was over a year since the OP became aware of this and not 5 months.
And yes - I would advise anyone who is this upset about any car for this long to get it sold and become happy again. There are a number of posters within this same thread that have done just that and explained how they did it.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:55 pm

This thread was started "by CULater » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:34 pm" so we are 3 days short of 1 full year. Why do you guys care whether the OP keeps his car or why he keeps updating this thread? Maybe he wants to keep people informed or maybe he has a sense of right and wrong and wants the right thing to be done by him. Maybe those that question his motives should be the ones to move on? You can unsubscribe from this thread since the updates seem to be bothering you. If you don't know how to do that just go to the top of any page in this thread, you'll see a wrench in the upper left area, click the down arrow and click the "unsubscribe topic". Problem solved. :wink:

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:06 pm

I think many will thank OP for this contribution and saving others dollars by not buying this SUV.
I wish OP should created on Jan 2018, then i also shouldnt bought CR-V.
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

harrington

Post by harrington » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:45 pm

It convinced me not to buy a Honda.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:28 pm

I appreciate this thread and am grateful that CULater has been so persistent in researching and documenting the issues publicly.

Thank you, CULater!

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:52 pm

I appreciate this thread. I was just about to buy a CRV when it first posted. I went with Hyundai instead and am happy with my choice. I continue to follow this thread out of curiosity to see how Honda eventually responds. So far their response has not impressed.

G12

Post by G12 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:03 pm

3feetpete wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:52 pm
I appreciate this thread. I was just about to buy a CRV when it first posted. I went with Hyundai instead and am happy with my choice. I continue to follow this thread out of curiosity to see how Honda eventually responds. So far their response has not impressed.
Yeah, I second that. I have a 2017 Pilot with 25k miles on it with obviously a totally different engine yet this thread has highly likely made me go with a different manufacturer on my next vehicle. The total lack of ownership of this engine issue by Honda, and the dealerships, is a total turnoff to the brand. That said, I would sell the vehicle and move on.

Quaestner

Post by Quaestner » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:35 pm

CFM300 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:28 pm
I appreciate this thread and am grateful that CULater has been so persistent in researching and documenting the issues publicly.

Thank you, CULater!
+1

JPH

Post by JPH » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:09 pm

The thread has been helpful to me and I am following it. It's amazing how many people have nothing better to do than follow a thread for over a year that they seem to have no use for and keep commenting. Maybe this site is more addictive than I imagined.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:18 pm

CULater wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:06 pm
TSB 18-114 description of problem:
Under certain circumstances, the vehicle may experience driveability concerns, which may result in DTC's P0300(Random Misfire Detected), P0301 (No. 1 Cylinder Misfire Detected), P0302 (No. 2 Cylinder Misfire Detected), P0303(No. 3 Cylinder Misfire Detected), P0304 (No. 4 Cylinder Misfire Detected), or P0172 (Fuel System Too Rich) to set.
DTC refers to the check engine light "diagnostic trouble code". I've not experienced any check engine light warnings, but it is informative that the one of the DTC codes apparently related to oil dilution is "fuel system too rich." Maybe I'm reaching here, but this fits with my suspicion that the engine computer on the 1.5T is programmed to spray excess fuel into the cylinders to mitigate LSPI and is overdoing it at least in some situations, such as cold engine startup; perhaps the software "fix" is intended to manage this somewhat more effectively. Speculate, speculate...
If you had bought a Toyota you would not have this problem.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:20 pm

JPH wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:09 pm
The thread has been helpful to me and I am following it. It's amazing how many people have nothing better to do than follow a thread for over a year that they seem to have no use for and keep commenting. Maybe this site is more addictive than I imagined.
"It's amazing how many people have nothing better to do than follow a thread for over a year that they seem to have no use for and keep commenting."
Ironic is it not?

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:04 am

Back to my original post to discern why I started this thread, and continue to bump it whenever I have news or something more to say. Unfortunately, nothing has changed in the last year. Honda has not given me any reason to abandon the thread, because they've done nothing to effectively assist owners who discover they have this problem and they are continuing to be extremely deceptive about it.
Since the new CRV is a very popular vehicle, I wanted to offer a heads-up to potential purchasers and help get this issue into the media so Honda will try to do something about it. So far, they appear to be stonewalling, and China has issued a ban on selling any more CRVs there. Had I known about this issue, I would not have purchased this vehicle and I'd recommend the same to others.

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:07 am

CULater wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:04 am
Back to my original post to discern why I started this thread, and continue to bump it whenever I have news or something more to say. Unfortunately, nothing has changed in the last year. Honda has not given me any reason to abandon the thread, because they've done nothing to effectively assist owners who discover they have this problem and they are continuing to be extremely deceptive about it.
Since the new CRV is a very popular vehicle, I wanted to offer a heads-up to potential purchasers and help get this issue into the media so Honda will try to do something about it. So far, they appear to be stonewalling, and China has issued a ban on selling any more CRVs there. Had I known about this issue, I would not have purchased this vehicle and I'd recommend the same to others.
I've found this thread very enlightening.

Hiker-Biker

Post by Hiker-Biker » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:29 pm

CULater wrote:
Couple questions - does this problem affect 1.5l turbo Accords or Civics? I walked into a Honda dealer while researching CUVs and knew about your experience. The salesperson had no knowledge of the problem at all.

I don't recall if you're living in an area with only one Honda dealer within reasonable driving distance. Over the years, I have experienced problems with multiple makes new or used. The dealer was/is cooperative or not so much.

Hope you are able to get your problem resolved to your satisfaction!

H-B

researcher

Post by researcher » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:25 pm

Hiker-Biker wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:29 pm
I walked into a Honda dealer while researching CUVs and knew about your experience. The salesperson had no knowledge of the problem at all.
This is exactly the response you should expect from most car salespersons.

First off, most salespeople have very little knowledge of the vehicles they are selling. Most don't stick around long enough, or care enough, to become knowledgeable. The attrition rate for the profession is very high.

Secondly, even if the salesperson had heard about the problem, would you really expect them to acknowledge it to their customers?

"Oh yeah, we've heard of the issue. It's a crapshoot as to whether your car will have the problem, and Honda has no clue how to address/fix the issue. So what will it take to put you in one of these fine vehicles today?"

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:05 pm

CULater wrote:
You're going to hear service managers tell their mechanics, don't bother me with a little extra gas in the engine oil, just change the oil and send them on their way. I've got another million airbags to change. :oops:

If I'm reading this correctly, they put in defective airbags in the 2 cars I had replaced in 2016, and they need to be replaced again. :annoyed
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/honda-t ... rbags.html

Let see if the other manufactures follow:
...car manufacturers affected by this recall include Acura, Audi, BMW, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Daimler Trucks North America, Daimler Vans USA LLC, Dodge/Ram, Ferrari, Fisker, Ford, GMC, Honda, Infiniti, Jaguar, Jeep, Land Rover, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, McLaren, Mercedes-Benz, Mercury, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Scion, Subaru, Tesla, Toyota, and Volkswagen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takata_Co ... 93present)

BTW, don't think this adds any new information, but here's another recent article:
Honda 1.5L Engine Suffers Cold-Weather Oil-Dilution Problem
Honda’s direct-injected 1.5L turbo 4-cyl. Earth Dreams engine is creating a nightmare for the company as it tries to resolve a severe gasoline oil-dilution problem it says is caused by cold-weather operation.
Bob Gritzinger | Mar 07, 2019
https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/honda ... on-problem

California88

Post by California88 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:58 pm

If it hadn't been for this thread I could have bought a new Honda CRV Turbo (with all it's problems) ... and I now I find out that even their 2.4L (Non Turbo) Engine has had similar problems! I've always bought Hondas ... but I won't be buying any more after the way Honda has handled this whole episode. The Civic 2012-2015 also had huge (non fixable) mechanical problems.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:37 pm

Hiker-Biker wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:29 pm
CULater wrote:
Couple questions - does this problem affect 1.5l turbo Accords or Civics? I walked into a Honda dealer while researching CUVs and knew about your experience. The salesperson had no knowledge of the problem at all.

I don't recall if you're living in an area with only one Honda dealer within reasonable driving distance. Over the years, I have experienced problems with multiple makes new or used. The dealer was/is cooperative or not so much.

Hope you are able to get your problem resolved to your satisfaction!

H-B
Yes, it does affect the 1.5T engine in the Civic and Accord, but I haven't seen as much said about that. Honda has extended the software "fix" to include Civics in the U.S. and Canada. China has done that as well. Not only the salespeople claim ignorance of the problem, but service personnel do also. I'm in one of the states where owners can get the software "fix" and finally I'm able to go into the service department and mention "oil dilution" and not get a blank stare. At least they've heard about it, but are still really ignorant about it so you can't have any kind of meaningful discussion with anybody. I'm pretty sure I know a great deal more than any service person at Honda, so I always feel like an adult trying to communicate with a child. It's really a pity but does reveal the true state of affairs with Honda and probably with most other dealerships too.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:02 pm

The info I have taken away from this thread is I wouldn't trust Honda.

IMHO, Honda doesn't have a real fix, and must believe there will be long-term issues with the affected engines.

If they believed there wouldn't be long-term problems, I would think they would simply lengthen the warrantee and call it a day.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

ndlex

Post by ndlex » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:52 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:02 pm
The info I have taken away from this thread is I wouldn't trust Honda.

IMHO, Honda doesn't have a real fix, and must believe there will be long-term issues with the affected engines.

If they believed there wouldn't be long-term problems, I would think they would simply lengthen the warrantee and call it a day.

Broken Man 1999
100% agree with this. Honda's handling of this is why I'm not driving a new CRV. It's pretty obvious they have a significant problem that they can't solve.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:27 pm

I accompanied a friend to the Honda dealer where she was purchasing a Honda HR-V. Among the dozens of pages of stuff she had to sign, there was a page identifying the vehicle and stating:

AS IS - NO DEALER WARRANTY
The dealer does not provide a warranty for any repairs after sale

Now, I've seen that on the windows of used vehicles on dealer lots, but never had seen it accompanying a brand new vehicle. It was explained to her that the only Warranty that applies to new vehicles sold by the dealer is the Manufacturer's Warranty. While the dealer can perform repairs, the only repairs that are provided without charge by the dealer are repairs that are authorized and approved by the Manufacturer under the terms of their warranty. The dealer "bills" Honda for those repair charges instead of billing you. In other words, the dealer does not represent, take responsibility, or stand behind the new vehicle in any way. They are just the guys who sell it to you and will do warranty repairs that can be charged to Honda.

This may not be news to many, but it was kind of eye-opening to me. Now I understand the finger-pointing game that's been going on about the oil-dilution issue with my CRV. The Dealer won't touch anything that hasn't been authorized and approved by Honda so they just want you to go away and are not really even interested in doing anything to help. When you contact Honda, they simply refer you back to the dealer for assistance, indicating that all they can do is take down your information. But they know, of course, that the dealer won't do anything because it hasn't been authorized, approved, or even acknowledged by Honda.

Fun, huh? For information purposes, the AS IS - NO WARRANTY document says this:
IMPORTANT: Spoken promises are difficult to enforce. Ask the dealer to put all promises in writing. Keep this form.

If you are going to foolishly buy a CRV, I'd suggest at least getting some writing from the Dealer regarding what they will do for you if you begin experiencing an oil-dilution issue, and also what evidence (such as high oil level on dipstick) will be used to define the existence of the problem, so they can't just blow you off. That way, you'll have some leverage with the dealer and avoid the shuffle with Honda. Honda has still not acknowledged this problem anywhere. Even the so-called "fix" is called a "product update." So it remains next to impossible to get them to do anything.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:34 pm

That's probably the case with all dealerships.

I doubt Honda dealers would put anything in writing re the oil dilution since they don't acknowledge it's existance and it isn't covered under the manufacturer's warranty.

Encinoman

Post by Encinoman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:59 pm

I recall reading on a forum some CRV owners have discovered using 0w40 oil and premium 91-93 octane fuel solved the gas dilution problem. Worth a try at least..

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:18 am

Well looks like the oil problem has not slowed sales... so much for research before buying a car :oops:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... /39183295/

These car models from Subarus to Chevys to Lexus are so hot they're flying off car dealers' lots

13. Honda CR-V

• Average days on lot: 44.0
• 2018 sales: 379,013
• 2017 sales: 377,895
• Starting at: $24,350

Now in its fifth generation, the Honda CR-V mass-market compact crossover is making its second consecutive appearance on this list. In production for more than two decades, the CR-V is a perennial top seller across categories, and even had a long reign at the head of the SUV ranks.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:18 am

TLC1957 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:18 am
Well looks like the oil problem has not slowed sales... so much for research before buying a car :oops:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... /39183295/

These car models from Subarus to Chevys to Lexus are so hot they're flying off car dealers' lots

13. Honda CR-V

• Average days on lot: 44.0
• 2018 sales: 379,013
• 2017 sales: 377,895
• Starting at: $24,350

Now in its fifth generation, the Honda CR-V mass-market compact crossover is making its second consecutive appearance on this list. In production for more than two decades, the CR-V is a perennial top seller across categories, and even had a long reign at the head of the SUV ranks.
"Well looks like the oil problem has not slowed sales... so much for research before buying a car"
You are absolutely correct - but if you do some research on many brands of cars you will find similar or worse issues.

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:57 am

smitcat wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:18 am
"Well looks like the oil problem has not slowed sales... so much for research before buying a car"
You are absolutely correct - but if you do some research on many brands of cars you will find similar or worse issues.
People either don't research, or, oddly enough, knowingly buy cars with problems. Two people I know, that are not into cars at all, recently purchased vehicles. Their whole criteria was basically reliability to get them from A to B. They both bought cars that are known to have transmission issues (CVT), that I warned them about. People make no sense sometimes. :confused

imbogled

Post by imbogled » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Some people have "analysis paralysis" and often over analyze and find things wrong with every single brand! :wink: I was pretty much set on the new RAV4 but reviews are pretty mixed considering how expensive they are. Many complaints of loud engine noise and meh performance. I guess a test drive will help clarify that. My "ultimate" concern is reliability and no headaches for 10+ years. I am hesitant to buy a new/first model design like the 2019 RAV4 until kinks are worked out. I am unable to wait though because I will need to make a purchase soon.
Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. | Warren Buffett

California88

Post by California88 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:56 pm

www.carcomplaints.com -- is showing that the CRV has had a lot of complaints -- EVERY YEAR -- going back to 2008 or before. Whereas the RAV4 has had relatively few complaints since 2008!

Morse Code

Post by Morse Code » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:58 pm

Motor Trend just named the CR-V #1 compact SUV again (the newly redesigned 2019 RAV4 came in fourth out of eight).

I bought my 2018 CR-V new last year and have been following this thread trying to decide what I should do. My oil reads about a half quart high every 5000 miles or so. No other symptoms. It has exceeded all my expectations otherwise...best vehicle I've ever owned, hands down.

What would you do?
#1 Sell it now
#2 Sell it after 3 years/36K miles when warranty expires.
#3 Take my chances the engine will last long term and just keep driving it like I originally intended.
Livin' the dream

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:13 pm

Morse Code wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:58 pm
Motor Trend just named the CR-V #1 compact SUV again (the newly redesigned 2019 RAV4 came in fourth out of eight).

I bought my 2018 CR-V new last year and have been following this thread trying to decide what I should do. My oil reads about a half quart high every 5000 miles or so. No other symptoms. It has exceeded all my expectations otherwise...best vehicle I've ever owned, hands down.

What would you do?
#1 Sell it now
#3 Take my chances the engine will last long term and just keep driving it like I originally intended.
I would do this....
Unless the thought of the rise in oil level has a negative affect on you in which case I would sell it now.

crypto11

Post by crypto11 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Can someone who owns a 2.4L CRV confirm if the problem is really present there? I am still planning to buy one of those but the info here is not clear about the 2.4L.
Thanks

Lugerhead

Post by Lugerhead » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:55 am

Morse Code wrote:

What would you do?
#1 Sell it now
I have a 2017 with the fuel dilution and have no intentions of letting it go.
First, pull that weird dipstick out and scribe a mark 1/8 inch below the fuel mark so you can actually read the dipstick. Go get a oil change and unless you change your own tell them to fill it to your mark on the dipstick. Not 4 quarts, just up to your mark. You may be a1/4 inch over full if they use 4 full quarts when you drive it out. When you get home, get level place to check it so you can have good reference and verify what Johnny Lube Boy did.
Now run the fuel down until you have about 50-75 miles left on that tank, then go to a top tier gas station and top it off with 93 octane fuel. 93 octane, not 91. You can Google top tier fuel and get a list of gas stations. There are a lot of them.
Just try the 93 octane for 3-4 thousand miles and see what it does. I think my last post on this is on page 14 of this thread. I’ve had very good success with and went through the winter with no detectable increase of the oil. There was a mention of trying this by someone else on here but they used 91 octane. 2 octane points don’t sound like much, but it is.
There has been a lot of talk about the new silver bullet RAV4 on this thread and I have a friend that just bought one. I got a good look at it and came away with the same thought as the old RAV4. Not even close to my CRV and his was $37K.
If you don’t want to go back and read my post on page 14 I’ll give you the short version. The 93 octane is not a 100% fix but it gave me good oil viscosity up to 4000 miles and someone may stretch it to 5000. I’m changing mine at 4K and will continue to do that with a transmission service/air filters every 5th oil change.
Unless something else shows up as a big problem, I’m going to run with my CRV and take very good care of it.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:05 am

Morse Code wrote:

What would you do?
#1 Sell it now
I think the powertrain warranty is 5 years / 60,000 miles.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:14 am

crypto11 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:28 pm
Can someone who owns a 2.4L CRV confirm if the problem is really present there? I am still planning to buy one of those but the info here is not clear about the 2.4L.
Thanks
We have two 2.4 CRV's in the family - no issues. Between oil changes they do not ad or lose any measurable amounts of oil. One is at about 40K miles and the other is closer to 70K.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:16 am

Lugerhead wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:55 am
Morse Code wrote:

What would you do?
#1 Sell it now
First, pull that weird dipstick out and scribe a mark 1/8 inch below the fuel mark so you can actually read the dipstick. Go get a oil change and unless you change your own tell them to fill it to your mark on the dipstick. Not 4 quarts, just up to your mark. You may be a1/4 inch over full if they use 4 full quarts when you drive it out. When you get home, get level place to check it so you can have good reference and verify what Johnny Lube Boy did.
Now run the fuel down until you have about 50-75 miles left on that tank, then go to a top tier gas station and top it off with 93 octane fuel. 93 octane, not 91. You can Google top tier fuel and get a list of gas stations. There are a lot of them.
Just try the 93 octane for 3-4 thousand miles and see what it does. I think my last post on this is on page 14 of this thread. I’ve had very good success with and went through the winter with no detectable increase of the oil. There was a mention of trying this by someone else on here but they used 91 octane. 2 octane points don’t sound like much, but it is.
There has been a lot of talk about the new silver bullet RAV4 on this thread and I have a friend that just bought one. I got a good look at it and came away with the same thought as the old RAV4. Not even close to my CRV and his was $37K.
If you don’t want to go back and read my post on page 14 I’ll give you the short version. The 93 octane is not a 100% fix but it gave me good oil viscosity up to 4000 miles and someone may stretch it to 5000. I’m changing mine at 4K and will continue to do that with a transmission service/air filters every 5th oil change.
Unless something else shows up as a big problem, I’m going to run with my CRV and take very good care of it.
"There has been a lot of talk about the new silver bullet RAV4 on this thread and I have a friend that just bought one. I got a good look at it and came away with the same thought as the old RAV4. Not even close to my CRV and his was $37K."
Yes - I agree with this. Another option I am steering my daughter towards is the Mazda CX5 - its a bit smaller though and not sure how that would affect you.

Lugerhead

Post by Lugerhead » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:02 am

smitcat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:16 am
Lugerhead wrote:
Morse Code wrote:

What would you do?
#1 Sell it now
"There has been a lot of talk about the new silver bullet RAV4 on this thread and I have a friend that just bought one. I got a good look at it and came away with the same thought as the old RAV4. Not even close to my CRV and his was $37K."
Yes - I agree with this. Another option I am steering my daughter towards is the Mazda CX5 - its a bit smaller though and not sure how that would affect you.

Really not looking now. We did drive the Mazda when we were looking in 17 and just wasn’t into it. You may want to Google oil dilution in CX5 and CX9 before you buy it.
We drove about everything in the fall of 2017 and the CRV just stood out. We have driven BMWs for the last 20+ years and my wife wanted a X1 bad. It’s engine was noisy and the poor thing didn’t like any of the 8 speeds the transmission had. Shifted continuously. If I had to replace the CRV today, I really don’t know what I’d get.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:08 am

Lugerhead wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:02 am
smitcat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:16 am
Lugerhead wrote:
Morse Code wrote:

What would you do?
#1 Sell it now

Really not looking now. We did drive the Mazda when we were looking in 17 and just wasn’t into it. You may want to Google oil dilution in CX5 and CX9 before you buy it.
We drove about everything in the fall of 2017 and the CRV just stood out. We have driven BMWs for the last 20+ years and my wife wanted a X1 bad. It’s engine was noisy and the poor thing didn’t like any of the 8 speeds the transmission had. Shifted continuously. If I had to replace the CRV today, I really don’t know what I’d get.
Thank you - - good input. Yes , we like our CRV's a lot , have two now and sold two in the past. I have two fellow workers here with the Mazda's who have had no issues. I had just asked one last month if I could check her oil level just before her next oil change as she was unaware of how to open her hood.