How did mylife.com get my info?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
goingup

How did mylife.com get my info?

Post by goingup » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:01 pm

Bogleheads-
I'd like to understand how mylife.com gathered so much detailed information on me and posted it online. A Google search of my name brought up the mylife website which listed the following in a one-page format:

*My full name
*City, State of residence
*DOB
*Political Party
*Ethnicity
*Religion
*Income range
*Net worth (though very wrong)
*Marital Status
*Kids
*Home value and purchase price
*Automobile (year, make, model)
*View & Opinions (on several policy positions)
*Phone number

I found this really disconcerting and would like to know how they get all this. I just sent them an email at privacy@mylife.com asking them to remove my profile from their records. An immediate email response told me that my profile will be removed in 7-10 business days.

Is there anything I can do to foster a lower online profile?

Silk McCue

Re: How did mylife.com get my info?

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:04 pm

They gather information in an automated manner from publicly available sources.

Cheers

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:08 pm

It's not that hard to scrape a lot of this from public records. I've looked at a couple friend's profiles for misc. reasons, and my working theory is the income & net worth info is some combo of zip code & home purchase records. My income is "unknown" and I'm renting, which adds to this theory. Some of the info comes from social media, as my name on the site is as it is displayed on Facebook. Overall, I wouldn't lose to much sleep over it. I think the level of inaccuracy of most of the data naturally lends some anonymity to it.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:22 pm

You can pay a service such as DeleteMe at Abine.com to scrub (most) of your info from the internet. There's no way to entirely delete yourself. That ship has sailed.

Edited to add: MyLife is a data broker. So are sites such as Spokeo and WhitePages.com. They gather your information from a multitude of sources and re-sell it to advertisers, etc.
Last edited by Rupert on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ERguy101

Post by ERguy101 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:24 pm

Weird website! I looked myself up, it had my whole family and ex-wife as my close associates, then some person that I've never heard of. Income and networth not remotely close. Creepy [(removed) -- admin LadyGeek]. I hate that kind of stuff on the internet. I want my privacy!

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:25 pm

You can have your information removed from MyLife.com. Send an email to RemovalRequests@mylife.com. In the body of the email tell them you want your information removed, and include a link to the page about you on MyLife.com. DW and I did this last week, and it works.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:27 pm

I guess I'd tell you what I tell my wife. If you're on facebook, twitter, linkedIn, snapchat, instagram, you're giving your data to everyone. I'm on none of these. From public records, looking myself up (unusual last name), they got maybe 75% of the data right that they did have. The rest was either wrong and I have no idea where it came from (my occupation, other names I go by.....they don't have Jack, for example) or they mixed me up with a relative. Out of their list of things that they "could" have data for, they got maybe 20% of the listings. The rest, they had no information. No cars, income, associates, relatives were listed.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Post by 2015 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:24 pm

This one of the reasons I participate in no social media. Still, my theory is someone somewhere knows the size of my underwear. I agree with Zuckerberg when he said privacy is dead.

ladycat

Post by ladycat » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:41 pm

I looked up my deceased mother. Apparently she had a secret life I knew nothing about because of the 5 relatives listed, I didn't recognize any of the names. 8-)

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:54 pm

I looked up myself. The income and net worth were way off. They are probably extrapolating from census data in your zip code. They have some woman I never heard with a criminal record listed as a relative. They have me listed as having criminal violations which can only be traffic citations. I would not worry too much about this site.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:56 pm

I apparently live a life of crime, but they don’t know my finances, my vehicles or my party affiliation. And my DoB is wrong, too. I recognize it as one that I occasionally use when websites ask for that information without really having a need to know.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:58 pm

goingup wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:01 pm
I did some Google searches on how to remove my profile from MyLife and sites like it. I haven't been able to remove my name completely from the Internet, but I have reduced the scope of my online presence.

As others have said, these websites get their information from publicly available sources, rather then from social media. My parents never used social media and their information is on these websites. My father in fact died years ago but he's still alive according to these websites....

Jeep4Life

Post by Jeep4Life » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:15 am

Agree with Jack above, my DW and I are not on any of thee social media things. I checked the mylife website, they have obsolete and/or inaccurate information about the important things, so not going to dwell on this any longer. Good luck with trying to erase the Internet if you really want to disappear, even my local county posts things like taxes paid for property and the like...

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:43 am

I was surprised just now that I am NOT on MyLife.com !

As for DH, well, he and I need to have a little talk.
It seems that instead of a lifetime in academia, he is actually an associate at a hedge fund.
"Good to know", I guess :D

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:44 am

2015 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:24 pm
This one of the reasons I participate in no social media. Still, my theory is someone somewhere knows the size of my underwear. I agree with Zuckerberg when he said privacy is dead.
Just to point out, this web site is a form of social media, and google does data mine it.

I guess at the end of the day why does it matter, what is privacy and do I really care if the interwebs have semi correct / incorrect statistical data on me?

This used to bother me but not I am thinking whatever, in 40 - 50 years its not going to matter....
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:10 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:27 pm
I guess I'd tell you what I tell my wife. If you're on facebook, twitter, linkedIn, snapchat, instagram, you're giving your data to everyone. I'm on none of these. From public records, looking myself up (unusual last name), they got maybe 75% of the data right that they did have. The rest was either wrong and I have no idea where it came from (my occupation, other names I go by.....they don't have Jack, for example) or they mixed me up with a relative. Out of their list of things that they "could" have data for, they got maybe 20% of the listings. The rest, they had no information. No cars, income, associates, relatives were listed.
To counter your point, I am registered with every single website/app you listed (facebook, snapchat, etc.), but when I searched my name they have 0 information. No age, no relatives, no income, nothing.. All they have is the town I live in.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

Topic Author
goingup

Post by goingup » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:10 am

Thanks for the insightful responses.

Ironically, the reason I'm not on FB, Instagram, Snapchat, LInkedin, etc is that I value privacy. I use Twitter to follow authors, institutions, etc, but use an alias--not my name. Bogleheads.org is my deepest foray into social media. :D

I have requested mylife.com remove my profile and they have responded that they will in 7-10 days. I don't think I want to be completely "scrubbed" from the internet, however. There are a couple of obituaries, and local newspaper mentions which I'm happy to be associated with.

It makes sense that mylife.com is a data broker and aggregates publicly available data to sell to advertisers. That's OK, but posting so much information for any friend, neighbor, or potential employer (hypothetically) to view is intrusive.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:44 am

buccimane wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:10 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
To counter your point, I am registered with every single website/app you listed (facebook, snapchat, etc.), but when I searched my name they have 0 information. No age, no relatives, no income, nothing.. All they have is the town I live in.
That is very interesting. I wonder where they get their info from, then.

I was thinking that I should open some of these accounts and put in some obviously wrong information to throw off anyone looking for legit info on me.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:58 am

Why do you think so many of those "free" mobile apps want permission to access your contacts list?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:11 am

They didn’t have my most recent address, but did include an address I never lived at but which was used in a fraudulent purchase on my credit card.

Apparently I have a “lien, lawsuit, or bankruptcy” on my record which is news to me, but I didn’t pursue the search further, assuming at some point I have to pay to get details.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:22 am

Unlike in Europe, in the US you have no right to be forgotten and have public information removed.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:25 am

I do not use any social media -- Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. -- and my information is still on all of these data broker sites. They're getting it from a multitude of sources. Wasn't so long ago that I could have gotten your social security number from looking you up on Lexis Nexis, another data broker (and legal research platform, which is what I use it for). Anyone who subscribed to Lexis Nexis could have gotten it. All that information didn't just disappear when laws were changed in response to identity theft. It's still out there in the possession of god knows how many people.

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:37 am

I must be doing something right. I just checked myself and they had so many things incorrect it was laughable.

Political views - wrong
Ethnicity - wrong - I'm German and they have me listed as Middle Eastern
Religion - hoo boy way off
Marriage status - wrong
People I associate with - wrong
Parental status - wrong
Income/net worth - way off
Vehicle - wrong
:sharebeer
Moderator Warning-Free Since 2017.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:42 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:11 am
They didn’t have my most recent address, but did include an address I never lived at but which was used in a fraudulent purchase on my credit card.

Apparently I have a “lien, lawsuit, or bankruptcy” on my record which is news to me, but I didn’t pursue the search further, assuming at some point I have to pay to get details.
"They didn’t have my most recent address"
I have your address just from your posts here on Bogleheads.
Its just not too hard to aggregate data.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:21 am

I wrote to all these sites several years ago and my info is already back online. My letter was something to the effect of “I’ve been a victim of a violent crime” (which is true) “and I don’t want my attacker to find my info on your site”. Apparently that wasn’t enough to do the trick. Grrrrrr...

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:58 am

smitcat wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:42 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:

:D yeah, I’m not too anonymous I guess.

While you’re at it, can you tell me about my “lien, lawsuit, or bankruptcy?”

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:41 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:58 am
smitcat wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:42 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:

:D yeah, I’m not too anonymous I guess.

While you’re at it, can you tell me about my “lien, lawsuit, or bankruptcy?”
I never pursue the data that far , ,I have no interest. But I have a couple of acquaintances who can likely look up your utility bills, your wife's middle name and where she had lunch last Wednesday from what's online so far.

cresive

Post by cresive » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:44 pm

goingup wrote:
Bogleheads-
I'd like to understand how mylife.com gathered so much detailed information on me and posted it online. A Google search of my name brought up the mylife website which listed the following in a one-page format:

*My full name
*City, State of residence
*DOB
*Political Party
*Ethnicity
*Religion
*Income range
*Net worth (though very wrong)
*Marital Status
*Kids
*Home value and purchase price
*Automobile (year, make, model)
*View & Opinions (on several policy positions)
*Phone number

I found this really disconcerting and would like to know how they get all this. I just sent them an email at privacy@mylife.com asking them to remove my profile from their records. An immediate email response told me that my profile will be removed in 7-10 business days.

'What really pisses me off about this, is that I have paid for an unlisted telephone number for years, only to find out my number has been sold and posted to such sites. Such a waste of money. I have a friend who spent an afternoon finding several sites with our information on it. Now I know just why I have so many junk mailings, spam and robocalls!!

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:08 pm

I try to remain as unseen as possible yet I too Googled myself and came up with much current info some of which was correct. Included was a nice yearly earning figure, I am retired and sadly never came close to that number. Home value inflated yet assets way below actual... Family make up scrambled with some in-laws and strangers listed as my direct family and posted religion has me with the wrong tribe.
My biggest bitch is the emails sent to me by friends/acquaintances where I am part of a large group of recipients. Inevitably someone gets hacked and I am in their contact list. Keep getting spam from the most unlikely sources like those addressing feminine lifestyle and health solutions along with (sigh) aids to improve my manhood and functionality... The dear wife gets offers from offshore ladies panting to spend quality time with her. I never get those :annoyed
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
It's often the same sources bulk mailers get their information from, sometimes directly or indirectly from government agencies. When you register to vote, you get on mailing lists for candidates. That's a likely place they got your political party. When you buy a house or get a mortgage, that's recorded at the local government, and you often start getting a variety of solicitations (home warranty insurance, mortgage insurance, etc.). There they've got your income, home value and mortgage amount. Another place they get your income is what your report when you apply for credit cards. Sometimes, it's not an exact amount, but information buyers can ask for middle class income homeowners that own older cars (DMV database) or with today's targeted advertisement, you might ask for a list with incomes between $80-100k that drive 10-12 years old aged 30-33 (a group of younger BH ready to make promotion and buy a newer nicer car). If this site sold their list, they could further cross reference this targeted campaign.

The errors can come from many places. Wrong data put in, data entry error, program error, incorrect cross reference, etc. They collect so much data that errors are inevitable, and most of the more reliable sources are already available, so as they reach further for more data, chances are they're less reliable. I'm pretty sure my address was matched to a previous occupant (several occupants back, and was already retired back then and may not be around anymore) and now my name is leading their junk mail. I used to get these solicitations in their name but now it's got my name on it, and I'm pretty sure I didn't add myself via the same method. Somewhere in cyberspace, there's a database that says I'm a 100 year old retired female with XYZ.
goingup wrote:

Anyway, there's too much information and noise out there, so don't worry about it. It's nowhere near where credit reports are, and even those are complicated to manage. The easiest thing to do is to deal with it if a problem arises, otherwise you're playing endless whack a mole. The best thing to do is keep a low profile. Don't add data, don't sign up to mailing lists, don't provide unnecessary information, ask about "need to know". You can try to reduce spreading by requesting "do not share", but it's not always helpful. Unless you take the Witsec approach, you'll be tracked despite your best efforts.

FYI, you just provided them an email address to add to their database, and they may be taking you off their public site, but keeping the record in their private database, and tomorrow, you might find all the information plus your email address on mylonglife and yourlife.com. BTW, did you have to provide any additional information? That may have been flagged as "verified" and may be more valuable to the next buyer.

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:57 pm

You Give Apps Sensitive Personal Information. Then They Tell Facebook.
Wall Street Journal testing reveals how the social-media giant collects a wide range of private data from developers; ‘This is a big mess’
https://www.wsj.com/articles/you-give-a ... 1550851636
Article was unlocked. If locked, try this link - https://twitter.com/murraymatt/status/1 ... 8866939904
Millions of smartphone users confess their most intimate secrets to apps, including when they want to work on their belly fat or the price of the house they checked out last weekend. Other apps know users’ body weight, blood pressure, menstrual cycles or pregnancy status. Unbeknown to most people, in many cases that data is being shared with someone else: Facebook Inc.
The social-media giant collects intensely personal information from many popular smartphone apps just seconds after users enter it, even if the user has no connection to Facebook, according to testing done by The Wall Street Journal. The apps often send the data without any prominent or specific disclosure, the testing showed.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:01 pm

cresive wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:44 pm
'What really pisses me off about this, is that I have paid for an unlisted telephone number for years, only to find out my number has been sold and posted to such sites. Such a waste of money. I have a friend who spent an afternoon finding several sites with our information on it. Now I know just why I have so many junk mailings, spam and robocalls!!
I don't bother any more, but many years ago, I asked to get an unlisted number. They told me some monthly charge to not list my number, which I found preposterous. So, I asked if I was required to give my legal name for the listing, they said no, and I said "okay, list it under [fictitious but clean name]." Problem solved.

Shackleton

Post by Shackleton » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:05 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:22 am
Unlike in Europe, in the US you have no right to be forgotten and have public information removed.
Beginning in July 2020 (I may have the month wrong, but it is mid-2020) the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) will become effective which will require any company doing business in California to produce the data they have on a consumer that lives in California and to remove it if requested. It will be similar to the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) that the EU passed in 2016 and which became effective in May 2018. With the passage of CCPA, other states are soon to follow (NY already has a much more lax version in effect, Oregon and one other state I can't remember are supposedly looking at passing something similar.) And I predict there will be federal regulation coming, but exactly when is unpredictable and outside the scope of this site. However, the need to comply with CCPA for so many companies means that many people in other states will begin to benefit from CCPA starting next year (since many companies are planning to address this for ALL their customers, not just CA customers.)
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton

Post by 2015 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:35 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:44 am
2015 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:24 pm
Just to point out, this web site is a form of social media, and google does data mine it.

I guess at the end of the day why does it matter, what is privacy and do I really care if the interwebs have semi correct / incorrect statistical data on me?

This used to bother me but not I am thinking whatever, in 40 - 50 years its not going to matter....
Yep. Hence I'm sure somehow someway someone knows the size of my underwear.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:03 pm

2015 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:35 pm
SimonJester wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:44 am
Yep. Hence I'm sure somehow someway someone knows the size of my underwear.
In 40-50 days, the size of my underwear isn't going to matter if I gain or lose 20 pounds. It's not something a salesperson at a store or in the future an AI couldn't figure out anyway.

"Hello Mr. Yakamoto and welcome back to the GAP!"
https://youtu.be/7bXJ_obaiYQ?t=35

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:34 pm

Horsefly wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:25 pm
You can have your information removed from MyLife.com. Send an email to RemovalRequests@mylife.com. In the body of the email tell them you want your information removed, and include a link to the page about you on MyLife.com. DW and I did this last week, and it works.
I tried this yesterday and just got a canned response that my page is complied from public record and that they won't remove it, but if I pay them for a premium membership, I may be able to edit/remove some data points. I told them what they could do with their paid membership....

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:05 pm

killjoy2012 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:34 pm
Horsefly wrote:
I tried this yesterday and just got a canned response that my page is complied from public record and that they won't remove it, but if I pay them for a premium membership, I may be able to edit/remove some data points. I told them what they could do with their paid membership....
I've heard similar reports. Not sure why mine worked. What I got was, in part "The referenced profile has been removed as requested." I have no idea what causes it to work sometimes and not others. Maybe try again?

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:15 pm

I have a big chunk of my life on the internet and all that site managed to get right was my birthdate.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:24 pm

Horsefly wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:05 pm
killjoy2012 wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:34 pm
Horsefly wrote:
I've heard similar reports. Not sure why mine worked. What I got was, in part "The referenced profile has been removed as requested." I have no idea what causes it to work sometimes and not others. Maybe try again?
I had basically the same experience as killjoy2012. First an automated reply stating:

“Thank you for contacting MyLife™ Customer Care. This note is to inform you that we have received your inquiry and will begin processing your request.

Please note that we respond to e-mail messages in the order received. Your Removal Request should be processed and completed within 7-10 business days.”

and then shortly thereafter another message saying

Thank you for contacting MyLife™ to request removal of your Public Background Report & Reputation Score.

Unfortunately the information on your Public Background page cannot be removed as it is gathered from public records, government, and other public sources for the purpose of helping people learn more about others for business, dating and other reasons.”

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:33 pm

States, cities, and even counties vary in terms of how much of your information they'll sell to various corporations.

Info about your car comes from the DMV. Your county recorder may make copies of various documents easily available online to anyone - like your mortgage, etc. Other counties/states may have chosen to not do this. Some will justify these practices by saying the information has always been public. But it's very different to have to go to a county courthouse to request such information, vs. having it available to anyone on the internet. Even if they have disclaimers on the website saying the information is not to be used commercially, there's little to stop that from happening.

You can lobby your state to change laws regarding broadly making such information available. There's a good argument to be made that this is needed to reduce the risk of identity theft. Unfortunately, personal privacy doesn't sway people in the US (the EU has much better laws to protect personal privacy).

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:43 pm

cresive wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:44 pm

With telephone numbers: you're screwed if you give it to anyone with a cell phone. You're especially screwed if they enter your full name & possibly address in their contacts list. All it takes is for them to download the wrong app which gets access to their contact list. Poof. Your phone number, associated with your name, is now publicly available.

Those options to back up your contact list, so if you get a new phone, you can easily transfer your contacts? Yet another way to give corporations all the contact info for people in your life.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:14 am

mariezzz wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:43 pm
With telephone numbers: you're screwed if you give it to anyone with a cell phone. You're especially screwed if they enter your full name & possibly address in their contacts list. All it takes is for them to download the wrong app which gets access to their contact list. Poof. Your phone number, associated with your name, is now publicly available.

Those options to back up your contact list, so if you get a new phone, you can easily transfer your contacts? Yet another way to give corporations all the contact info for people in your life.
Very true. There are many apps that seem to reques access to contacts and other data without good reason. They get uninstalled. The Chase app on Android wanted access to my photos. No thanks.

The funny thing is that MyLowLife seems to only know my neighbors as people I am affiliated with. And those they presumably got by simply using my address; I don’t know most of them well enough to have them in my contacts (or vice versa).

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:20 am

Even if you prohibit apps from accessing certain info on the phone, there are apparently some apps that can override those preferences. And don't forget Facebook, for which its violations of its own privacy policies are reported in the media on a fairly regular basis.
My solution: I don't install apps on my phone. (But the phone comes with installed things, too - I can't control it all. So, I don't put in full names of my contacts. Or use programs that allow me to transfer contacts from one phone to another. Yes, I re-enter them all by hand with a new phone.)

TigerNest

Post by TigerNest » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:31 am

munemaker wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:54 pm
I looked up myself. The income and net worth were way off. They are probably extrapolating from census data in your zip code. They have some woman I never heard with a criminal record listed as a relative. They have me listed as having criminal violations which can only be traffic citations. I would not worry too much about this site.
Yeah, they show me with a big red box saying I have a "Court, Arrest or Criminal Records." I don't. I assume it's one of those sites that try to scam you into paying to take it down.

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:02 am

Much of your personal data is gathered by LexisNexis....

You can get your report here: https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/ ... m_pg-3.pdf

One Person's experience: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Genera ... -p/5239891

cresive

Post by cresive » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:15 am

The funny thing is that MyLowLife seems to only know my neighbors as people I am affiliated with. And those they presumably got by simply using my address; I don’t know most of them well enough to have them in my contacts (or vice versa).
[/quote]

This can come back to bite you in your tush as well. I was trying to open a second Ally Bank account and encountered a glitch when they tried to check my profile on CheckFax (I think that is the credit monitoring for checks). Back when Equifax gave away my identity, I froze ALL of my credit, including this service, so Ally couldn't confirm I was who I said I am. Using information from a different service, I was asked questions about my history that presumably only I know. There were the usual "in what town is this address?" "have you ever lived..." etc. I actually failed the test on two questions that I couldn't answer correctly. One was a list of names, of which the only one that struck a chord was Dawn Wells. The name was familiar, but I couldn't place it. Afterward, I realized that Dawn Wells played Mary Anne on Gilligan's Island and I have friended her on Facebook. Now technically, we are "friends" but the only association I have is having watched her on TV and a few posts I have read of hers on Facebook. How the heck should I associate her name with "intimate" information of my past. Another question, "In what city is North 15th Street?" really stumped me. That could be DC, NYC, Fort Lauderdale, etc. Again, having never lived on a N. 15th st, or really knowing anyone who did, how the heck could I figure the answer?

I was so frustrated that I almost moved my accounts to another online bank. After a few days, I received a call and Ally explained why the delay had occurred and finally we were able to establish my bonafides. However, I won't forget the day I failed the test of knowing who I am. This is the danger of having so much un-vetted information about you on the web

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:52 am

mariezzz wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:43 pm

True story: I had an acquaintance that just disappeared. I didn't even know his last name, just had him entered in my Android phone as "Joe" with no last name entered (not his real name).

One day I saw a cute cat video on my phone (Youtube) that I wanted to watch later at home on my computer. As is my usual practice, I hit "Share" so I could email the link to one of my email addresses. A suggestion popped up for who to share it with, it asked "Share with .... Joe Smith." I thought, I don't know a Joe Smith so I googled Joe Smith [my city] and the first hit was a bail bond site with mugshots and Joe's picture was there.

I don't know how Android (Google) managed this trick but I found it disturbing.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:56 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:14 am

Very true. There are many apps that seem to reques access to contacts and other data without good reason. They get uninstalled. The Chase app on Android wanted access to my photos. No thanks.

I assumed that they need that when you are photoing checks for deposit.

averagedude

Post by averagedude » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:22 am

I wouldn't give this a second thought if I was you. If you are interested, google "Clark Howard mylife". He has an article on this and has steps on how to remove this information. Couldn't tell how old this article is, and if this information is still relevant today.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:25 am

Turbo29 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:56 am
TravelGeek wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:14 am

I assumed that they need that when you are photoing checks for deposit.
Maybe, though my understanding is that Android lets developers request just camera access (without access to existing photos). Also, I don’t have a Chase checking/savings account, only credit cards, so I will never deposit checks. And I believe the app could actually request the necessary permission only when access is actually needed, which in my case is... never. But instead it was asking at startup and refusing to do anything without the permission. I have not tried again in a year or so to see if they improved the app. I use the iOS app on my iPad when traveling, which “behaved” :)

It’s just an example, though. It’s surprising how many apps both on iOS and Android request location access even when there is really no need for it.

And then, of course, there are apps that secretly share data with Facebook. Story from yesterday:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/you-give-a ... 1550851636