What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hoops777

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by hoops777 »

Good analysis.I get it but I just did not see the circumstances as being so desperate,but it was a very realistic portrayal.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

The Girl in the Spider's Web. I found it disappointing compared to the other movies in the series. Not horrible, but not great.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Ode to My Father (S. Korea, 2014) Original title: Gukjesijang.
Synopsis from IMDb: “Amid the time of Korean War, a young boy's vow to take care of his family marked the beginning of a lifelong promise spanning 60 years.”
See this movie if you can. I had to fight the tears.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Furious 7. It was ok but more unbelievable than anything.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Solo: A Star Wars Story, on Netflix. It's the best Star Wars movie I've seen in quite some time. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

Abducted In Plain Sight. Documentary on Netflix. Craziest thing I think I've seen. Absolutely mindblowing.
Koogie

Post by Koogie »

I like sci-fi and occasionally watch amateur films and fan films posted online. Most are cringeworthy but a couple lately have been very good.
This one in particular.

The Leap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoJb30Une-A

""The Leap" by Karel van Bellingen - 28 mins.
In 2069, New Earth is declared open for civilian migration, a decade after its discovery. As tales of wonder and opportunity reach the Old World, taking ‘the leap’ becomes the dream of millions. Unable to afford the journey, many of the less fortunate risk their lives being smuggled aboard cargo ships. The inter-planetary Migration Administration, or IPMA, deals with human trafficking on a biblical scale.

Fifteen years later, Jacob Reiss, a disillusioned IPMA veteran, has a fateful encounter with a young cartel prostitute. A meeting that forces him to confront a dark chapter from his past in order to save them both from a bleak future in one final, violent shot at redemption."
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Kiss Me Kate on Turner Classic Movie (TCM) channel.

This is a 1953 musical comedy version of Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew", with a play within the movie format, starring Howard Keel as Petrucio, Kathryn Grayson as Kate, and Anne Miller as Bianca.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
ttjt_99

Post by ttjt_99 »

Polar on Netflix. It was....different. Kind of a had Kill Bill feel to it.
ginmqi

Post by ginmqi »

ttjt_99 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:58 pm Polar on Netflix. It was....different. Kind of a had Kill Bill feel to it.
Agreed with this.

If I have to sum it up in one short sentence: Fun, colorful action flick in John Wick style that doesn't take itself too seriously.
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
Last edited by hdas on Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

At Eternity's Gate

Brilliant film depicting the later years of Vincent van Gogh. The
artist is wedded to the landscape and his painting yet parallel to
this is his struggle with mental illness and limited resources.
Arles and Auvers-sur-Oise, France are portrayed in luminous color
and the simple beauty of these areas is breathtaking. An alternate
account of Van Gogh's death is presented rather than the purported
suicide narrative. Superb acting, particularly by William Dafoe as
Van Gogh.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Casablanca, on Turner Classic Movie (TCM) channel.

Classic drama set in French Morrocco during Wotrld War II, starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Saw Vice last evening. Great - in many ways.

My wife liked it as well. She and I rarely like the same movies.
LesBleus**

Post by LesBleus** »

miles monroe wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:59 am fyre on netflix.

documentary on the fyre music festival in the bahamas that never happened. well worth the 90 minutes.
I liked it too. Ja rule is so guilty :D
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Strangers On A Train Hitchcock. Can"t believe I never seen this one before. Good movie.
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

That's funny, I recently watched The Girl on the Train. Not a very good movie, the audiobook was way better, genius the way it spun its story through the eyes of three participants, one of whom was an alcoholic devastated by a divorce.
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:35 am Solo: A Star Wars Story, on Netflix. It's the best Star Wars movie I've seen in quite some time. I liked it.
I too enjoyed it. I understand the Star Wars fatigue which caused it to 'bomb' at the box office but the movie was very good.

If you enjoy Sci-Fi, give Annihilation a shot. If you enjoy reading, its the first part of a trilogy.
Last edited by SagaciousTraveler on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
StandingRock

Post by StandingRock »

"Westworld". I've seen it several times. Still creepy as heck when Yul Brynner grins and says "Draw." I don't know if that kind of on screen persona will ever be duplicated.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

StandingRock wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:07 am "Westworld". I've seen it several times. Still creepy as heck when Yul Brynner grins and says "Draw." I don't know if that kind of on screen persona will ever be duplicated.
Would Yul Brenner from Magnificent Seven outdraw Yul Brenner from Westworld?
StandingRock

Post by StandingRock »

mak1277 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:20 am
StandingRock wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:07 am "Westworld". I've seen it several times. Still creepy as heck when Yul Brynner grins and says "Draw." I don't know if that kind of on screen persona will ever be duplicated.
Would Yul Brenner from Magnificent Seven outdraw Yul Brenner from Westworld?
I don't know, ask John Henry.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

A while back, there was a movie out with Steve Carell, titled "Welcome to Marwen". It's about a guy who, following a brutal beating, creates a fantasy WWII village populated with miniature figures. He would develop and act out stories in photographs as a form of therapy.

This is not about that.

I had noted in the ads that it was "based on a true story". So I investigated that, and the real Mark Hogancamp. In the process, I found that there was a documentary called "Marwencol" about him. It was on order at the public library, so I got on the list. It came in the other day.

Very interesting. I had picked the broad strokes from online articles and examples of the photos, but the documentary is in much more depth. His struggles to recover, his sadness at his lost life (he remembers little from the time before the attack), the day-to-day frustrations of his remaining disabilities are detailed. Some of the storylines are telling. Frequently a group of SS comes into to town to assault and torture "Hogancamp", but the women of the town rally to protect and avenge him.

Deservedly, the documentary was given complimentary reviews and high ratings.
WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity »

The Upside. Good story...
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

They Shall Not Grow Old. Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) has paid a tremendous service to the men who fought in The Great War, WW1, on its 100 yr anniversary of the Armistice. By taking the many hours of silent black and white documentary films from that war, with the help of the British Imperial War Museum, and colorizing and dubbing in the speech, with the help of lip readers, he has brought to life that disastrous cataclysm. I suspect that this film will now be the standard for viewing that war from here on......as it should. Thank you Peter Jackson.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

High Sierra (1941) Ida Lupino, Humphrey Bogart, screenplay by John Huston & W.R. Burnett. Synopsis by IMDb: “After being released from prison, notorious thief Roy Earle is hired by his old boss to help a group of inexperienced criminals plan and carry out the robbery of a California resort.”

A fine (and fun) film, not my first viewing. The film that made Bogie a star. Some have said film noir was invented with this film. There is one offensive racist caricature typical of the times. It’s played by Willie Best who appears in several scenes. This bit is supposed to be funny but instead it’s grotesque.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Age of Innocence (1993) Daniel Day-Lewis, Michelle Pfeiffer, Winona Ryder, Geraldine Chaplin, Joanne Woodward as the Narrator (voice). Director: Martin Scorsese. Based on the novel by Edith Wharton.

From IMDb: “A tale of nineteenth-century New York high society in which a young lawyer falls in love with a woman separated from her husband, while he is engaged to the woman's cousin.”

This is a pretty movie about pretty people, enjoyable in sort of a dreamlike way. It has a bittersweet, poignant ending. If you like costume dramas you’ll probably like this film.
spectec

Post by spectec »

My wife and I recently watched Roma. Guess I'm not very sophisticated, because I don't understand all the hype about multiple awards. It has its moments, both in terms of acting and cinematography, but it certainly isn't particularly memorable as far as I'm concerned. (and the problem isn't the language, as we both understand Spanish)

I completely agree with all the positives regarding "They Shall Not Grow Old". I've been telling everyone I know they simply MUST see this film, regardless of their age.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Polar, on Netflix. My husband thought it was entertaining, not much more than that.

I thought it was a dark-comedy spy parody, similar to Austin Powers. There were a lot of subtleties that went in that direction. Not so subtle were the cartoon character credits which occurred frequently throughout the movie. Shades of the old Batman TV series came to mind.

The "blood and gore" aspects were impressive. Otherwise, meh.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

After talking about it for months, my daughter brought home a DVD of "The Meg" from the library and inflicted it on all of us last night. It had some good special effects and the sound track gave the subwoofer an impressive workout but it was otherwise completely forgettable with wooden cutout characters. Even representing the genre of badly made monster movies, this was probably one of the biggest budget flops of the bunch. Did I mention it was terrible? They even left out the gratuitious sex and violence that often substitutes for the plot in so many of these movies. The critics in the room did enjoy the buttered popcorn and beer.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Miami Vice the movie. You know the movie was not bad at all. What doomed it was the name and thus comparison to the awesome television show.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Remains of the Day (1993) Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, Christopher Reeve, James Fox, Hugh Grant. Directed by James Ivory. From the novel by Kazuo Ishiguro.

From IMDb: “A butler who sacrificed body and soul to service in the years leading up to World War II realizes too late how misguided his loyalty was to his lordly employer.”

Nominated for eight Oscars. Masterful performances all around, beautiful scenes, almost an art film. Recommended.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

RBG (2018) IMDb synopsis: “The exceptional life and career of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who has developed a breathtaking legal legacy while becoming an unexpected pop culture icon.” Nominated for two Academy Awards: Best Documentary Feature & Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures. Recommended.
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
Last edited by hdas on Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LthanP

Post by LthanP »

Enjoyed Eighth Grade, Would I watch it with an 8th grade daughter, likely not. Watched with my college age daughter. We enjoyed it and found it funny and positive message getting through that time period. Bo Burnham first film as writer and director.
-- LTP Less than Perfect. I got myself a Cadillac, But I can't afford the gasoline
obafgkm

Post by obafgkm »

I just watched Rosenwald.

It is the story of Julius Rosenwald, a man who never finished high school but became the president, chairman, and a part owner of Sears Roebuck.

He was also a philanthropist who started the Rosenwald Fund, which gave millions in matching funds to help build schools in the South, helped fund artists, scientists, and scholars (including Marian Anderson, Woody Guthrie, and Charles Drew), and who personally donated generously to institutions in Chicago.

I'll never have the kind of money that Rosenwald had, but the movie was inspiring in showing the kind of good that one can do with one's money.
"I'm investing in stocks... chicken, beef, and vegetable. It's risky, but I know one day it'll pay off & I'll be a bouillonaire. Who knows, I might even open up a Broth IRA."
FireHorse

Post by FireHorse »

Tootsie by Dustin Hoffman
I watch it once every few years, many flashbacks, never tired of it.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

FireHorse wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:22 am Tootsie by Dustin Hoffman
I watch it once every few years, many flashbacks, never tired of it.
Same with us.

We especially love a few of the lines in that final scene on the street.
Waaaay ahead of its time.
But then, the entire movie was, and with some humor.
Dustin Hoffman is amazing (in other movies, too, of course).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 »

Cold Pursuit

Liam Nesson continues his brilliance. Everyone left the movie encouraged and inspired.
BBBob

Post by BBBob »

Arctic. A great survival flick!
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Today's movies:

The Upside - I was not expecting much and would have passed on this movie BUT it was the only movie available at 9AM that I had not seen. It was a pretty good movie once they got past the stereotypes that were shown throughout the various trailers for the movie. It ended up being a very good film.

Perfectos desconocidos - The movie chronicles a dinner party where the seven characters surrender their smart phones and share all of their social media contacts and calls among the entire group. (2018 Mexico, Spanish with English subtitles.)
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

Just rented Bohemian Rhapsody. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it. My wife had no interest in seeing this movie b/c she was born in '79 and barely knows any Queen songs, but she admitted that she loved the movie after it ended. I know some critics have panned the movie b/c it wasn't "totally" accurate, but it was still a very enjoyable movie.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

I re-watched Lost in Translation this week and now I'm planning our first trip to Japan, probably spring 2020.
PinotGris

Post by PinotGris »

A few movies I watched recently that were very good. I think they were all Neflix.
Come Hell or High Water with Jeff Bridges and I think made by Cohen Brothers?
In Bruges, an Irish film - you may need subtitles - with Collin Farrel Directed by Matin McDonagh
The Wife with Glenn Close - super acting but meh plot.
Y Tu Mamá También is on in Netflix. I have seen the movie and it is wonderful
Baker - an Israeli film - slow but nice.
Every things free

Post by Every things free »

The Red Violin. It's on Netflix. I remember seeing it years and years ago on a cruise ship. It's really good.
You know when you are rich. You can buy anything you want but want nothing.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Traitor on Netflix.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Bohemian Rhapsody. Loved it.

If you're a Queen fan, this is a must see.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

spectec wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:04 am My wife and I recently watched Roma. Guess I'm not very sophisticated, because I don't understand all the hype about multiple awards. It has its moments, both in terms of acting and cinematography, but it certainly isn't particularly memorable as far as I'm concerned. (and the problem isn't the language, as we both understand Spanish)

I completely agree with all the positives regarding "They Shall Not Grow Old". I've been telling everyone I know they simply MUST see this film, regardless of their age.
I watched Roma too and I don't understand the hype. Maybe if you lived in Mexico City in the 70s it would be somewhat nostalgic?

I admit the performances were good but I didn't think the story was anything special. I sort of got tired of trying to notice where the dog pooped.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Recently watched a few decent movies on HBO streaming:

Downsizing (2017)
Tangerine (2015)
Jeff, Who Lives at Home (2011)
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:57 pm High Sierra (1941) Ida Lupino, Humphrey Bogart, screenplay by John Huston & W.R. Burnett. Synopsis by IMDb: “After being released from prison, notorious thief Roy Earle is hired by his old boss to help a group of inexperienced criminals plan and carry out the robbery of a California resort.”

A fine (and fun) film, not my first viewing. The film that made Bogie a star. Some have said film noir was invented with this film. There is one offensive racist caricature typical of the times. It’s played by Willie Best who appears in several scenes. This bit is supposed to be funny but instead it’s grotesque.
Times change. The world moved on.

I suspect the audiences of the time found it funny.

There used to be quite a strand of jokes in North American life about Jews, Italians and other ethnicities.

We just do not find them funny, now. And even quite offensive.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

SagaciousTraveler wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:44 am
LadyGeek wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:35 am Solo: A Star Wars Story, on Netflix. It's the best Star Wars movie I've seen in quite some time. I liked it.
I too enjoyed it. I understand the Star Wars fatigue which caused it to 'bomb' at the box office but the movie was very good.

If you enjoy Sci-Fi, give Annihilation a shot. If you enjoy reading, its the first part of a trilogy.
The script was truer to the original Star Wars in many ways than anything that has been done. Either episodes 1 to 3 or 6 to 9.

Along with Rogue One (Which is something of a mess but a brilliant mess redeemed by its acting and sharp dialogue) I loved this film more than any since the original trilogy (episodes IV to VI)

Star Wars was always a western plus a Samurai movie (Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress is basically the original Episode IV).

Solo accepts the western origins of the series and makes a western. From the train robbery to the mine scenes.

There are endless references to the first movie. Down to the final confrontation scene.

Or when c3po says of the Millennium Falcon's computer "this computer has a very strange accent".

And the character of Han Solo is honoured "I got a great feeling about this".