3 year old tires installed (Sam's club). Should I do anything about this?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
9liner

Re: 3 year old tires installed (Sam's club). Should I do anything about this?

Post by 9liner »

Starfish wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:43 pm
squirm wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:16 pm 6 years and replace tires? I've got tires on a pickup that are almost 20 years old.
You are a public danger.
Dramatic much?
IMO

Post by IMO »

oko wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:28 pm OP here. I called Sam's Club 10 minutes after they opened. They promised a call back from supervisor, and I finally got the call a short while ago. Here's what he says:

1-They have no control over what tires are/will be sent and they cannot know the tire manufacture date before the tires are sent. If we reorder, we can again get 3 year old tires for the specific model I ordered (I need energy saving tires for my electric car).
2-He cannot do any discounts because "he does not have the authority to do so".
3-Best thing they can do is finding my old tires before they are sent for disposal and re-install the old tires.

He also refused when I told him I can have them replaced at Costco and bring back your tires.

He'll call me back when he finds my old tires. He has not called yet.
So have the manager reorder if that's the option. When the new tires come in, if they are old, then have him reorder another set. Make this specific manager keep reordering if the the new order aren't fresh tires. I suspect at some point, the manager will get frustrated enough and take the extra step to call someone at the warehouse to assure tires are fresh.

FWIW, I always find that if you call vs. go in personally with an issue almost anywhere, that you will get a better
response in person because it's easy to not take all the steps necessary when someone is just calling. A definite hassle I know.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

squirm wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:16 pm 6 years and replace tires? I've got tires on a pickup that are almost 20 years old.
Once you find the perfect set of bias ply whitewalls, I guess there is no reason to change. :happy
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

9liner wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:47 pm
You are a public danger.
Dramatic much?
You guys scare me. Maybe the roads are a lot more dangerous than I thought....

Explain how it makes any sense even from pure financial perspective to save several hundred dollars over 20 years and risk to kill yourself or other people with disastrous financial consequences. A 20 year truck is already a dangerous vehicle.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Starfish wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:01 pm
You are a public danger.
Dramatic much?

Explain how it makes any sense even from pure financial perspective to save several hundred dollars over 20 years and risk to kill yourself or other people with disastrous financial consequences. A 20 year truck is already a dangerous vehicle.
Why is a 20 year old truck necessarily more dangerous than, let's say, a 5 year old truck?
Semper Augustus
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Teague wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:45 pm
Starfish wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:01 pm
You are a public danger.
Dramatic much?

Why is a 20 year old truck necessarily more dangerous than, let's say, a 5 year old truck?

Like any other vehicle, things changed a lot but changes were a lot more dramatic for pick up trucks.
20 years ago trucks had (still) stiff chassis and terrible crash ratings. That was true for both the occupants and the "victim". Also there were less electronics to help when something happened.
It is true that size and mass increased to, which cancels some of the gains.

People here buy life insurance which costs A LOT more than some fresh tires every 10 years.
squirm

Post by squirm »

whodidntante wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:10 pm
Once you find the perfect set of bias ply whitewalls, I guess there is no reason to change. :happy
Bias ply whitewall retreads :-)
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

RickBoglehead wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:49 pmMichelin Defenders are a good replace for Michelin Energy Savers. There is a non-noticeable difference.
Got the ones from Costco called Michelin Defender XL, and they're decent tires, but they wear out quickly. You'll be lucky to get half the promised miles. I don't drive much, and they're nearly worn out, but they'll age out for me, so I don't think I'll get any warranty consideration. There are stories of many folks complaining and some getting credit if they've been rotating their tires.

The Defender is not a single tire model, so your luck may vary on the submodel (no designation vs. XL vs LTX, vs HT, etc.).

https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews ... n/Defender

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/tir ... to-useless

OP, definitely get newer tires and don't worry about long treadwear ones if you're driving much. You won't use it and they may not even live up to the expectation. Supposedly the Defender wears longer than the competing 90k brands and they're lowering the rating to 80k (not a confidence inspiring move).

https://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20 ... ender-line
midareff

Post by midareff »

squirm wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:43 am
F150HD wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:01 pm
wow.....hoping you don't keep your underwear that long! :P
Ten years and counting.
LOL.. takes that long to break them in.
Topic Author
oko

Post by oko »

This became even more complicated. The supervisor called and told me that they cannot reinstall my old tires because they are tool old! My old tires are 6.5 years old. They install 3 year old tires as "new" but cannot reinstall my 6.5 year old tires because they are too old! What an irony!

I guess I will never ever step at a Sam's Club for the rest of my life after this issue is resolved (if resolved).
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Tell them you bought them new at a Sam's club only 3 years ago. What are they going to say?

You've got to take this up the chain. This of one of the rare things I might actually take them to small claims court on. Given the reason they won't put your old tires back on, it would seem like a slam dunk of a case....

Good luck,

JT
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

I'm surprised any industry on the planet is okay with ~3 years worth of inventory. Why not just make less and avoid the issue altogether?
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

I would call their bluff. I doubt they found your old tires. Say you want them and will come pick them up. They should be OK with this since it costs them to dispose of them.
Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong »

Whenever you replace good tires that are merely old, they will end up being sold as a used tire at another shop. So you’re not making the roads any safer by replacing tires solely due to age.

It’s just like when you trade in an old clunker that still runs. It’ll still be on the road after trade in.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

fizxman wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:48 pm I'm surprised any industry on the planet is okay with ~3 years worth of inventory. Why not just make less and avoid the issue altogether?
I suppose because it may be impossible to know how many of the tires will be sold before you manufacture them.

Maybe there is almost no inventory left now.
mrc

Post by mrc »

Starfish wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:42 pm The 6 year rule applies to tires exposed to elements (UV light for example) not to stored tires. Tires don’t go bad in storage, not in such short time at least.
Not according to the NTSB:
Background: Tires degrade over time regardless of whether they are in service.

– Tire failures can result from thermo-oxidative degradation (“Tire Aging”) caused by:
• Time
• Ambient and operating temperatures
• Partial pressure of O2 in a tire
• Flex fatigue
• Construction and compounding characteristics
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Topic Author
oko

Post by oko »

I went to the store and talked to the manager. And I really lost hope that this will get solved. They say they cannot reinstall my old tires no matter how I insisted, and they don't want to give any discount for 3 year old tires either.

Although they say they won't put back my tires back because they are 6.5 years old, they cannot understand why 3 year old "new" tires is a problem. When I tried to explain this, the manager says "these are brand new tires, never installed before. Why are you concerned?".

They will try to order a new set and see if the dates are newer. I don't think anyone knows what they are doing there. Just yesterday they told me that they cannot reorder the new set and I have to do it thru samsclub.com. Today they are reordering.

Years ago we became a member for free (using Amex promotion) and almost never shopped there (we always shop Costco) until the membership expired. I got membership this time just to get the tires for cheap (they had $80 instant saving and free installation as a promotion to become a member). And this saved me a total of $95 from Costco's current deal. I feel like an extreme incorrigible idiot to be "cheap enough" to do this Sam's membership. Well, lesson learned. I'll cancel the membership soon.
Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong »

fizxman wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:48 pm I'm surprised any industry on the planet is okay with ~3 years worth of inventory. Why not just make less and avoid the issue altogether?
I doubt they have 3 years of inventory. They simply don’t pay attention to tire age in the warehouse so the ones on the back of the shelf might sit there for years while the ones in the front are constantly used and replenished. It’d be a ton of forklift work to try to rotate the dates on the tires. Hard to see the date when the tires are up 20 feet off the floor.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

White Coat Investor wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:54 pm You're supposed to replace tires every six years? Why? Is that like you're supposed to throw drugs away the day after their expiration date? That somehow they go from perfectly fine to completely unacceptable overnight?
When I lived in California I had my prescriptions filled at a Mom and Pop pharmacy, and they put the actual expiration date, which I assume they got from the original bottles, on the amber ones. When I moved to Rhode Island, I noticed that the expiration dates on the amber bottles were always exactly a year from when the prescription was filled. The pharmacist told me this was due to a RI law. The result is I have no idea when my prescription meds actually expire. They could even expire well before the date on the amber bottles.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

fru-gal wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:21 pm
White Coat Investor wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:54 pm You're supposed to replace tires every six years? Why? Is that like you're supposed to throw drugs away the day after their expiration date? That somehow they go from perfectly fine to completely unacceptable overnight?
When I lived in California I had my prescriptions filled at a Mom and Pop pharmacy, and they put the actual expiration date, which I assume they got from the original bottles, on the amber ones. When I moved to Rhode Island, I noticed that the expiration dates on the amber bottles were always exactly a year from when the prescription was filled. The pharmacist told me this was due to a RI law. The result is I have no idea when my prescription meds actually expire. They could even expire well before the date on the amber bottles.
And I'm sure the day after the expiration they will be worthless, just like those tires will be unusable.

Seriously, with the risk tolerance around here I'm surprised some people on this forum invest in bonds, much less stocks. Life is risky folks, you can't eliminate every risk. If 6 year old tires are bad, so are 5 year old tires. Might as well replace them every year for the utmost in safety. In fact, just swap out the whole car.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

OP is being sold “new” tires that are 1/3 to 1/2 their way through their useful lifetime, depending on which source you quote. Most people drive enough miles that it wouldn’t be an issue. OP doesn’t, so it is an issue. If this were me, it would not be acceptable.

OP, if dealing with the local store doesn’t work, an executive email carpet bomb might help. The easiest solution would be a substantial discount on the tires that are already on your car.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

White Coat Investor wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:37 pmAnd I'm sure the day after the expiration they will be worthless, just like those tires will be unusable.

Seriously, with the risk tolerance around here I'm surprised some people on this forum invest in bonds, much less stocks. Life is risky folks, you can't eliminate every risk. If 6 year old tires are bad, so are 5 year old tires. Might as well replace them every year for the utmost in safety. In fact, just swap out the whole car.
That all depends on what failure model you use. Is there any evidence the answer is D - Best New? I would expect it's more like the B - Bathtub Curve like consumer electronics. IMO, years 1-5 are probably the prime years and less risky than the first few months or first few miles on new tires.

https://www.weibull.com/hotwire/issue76/relbasics76.htm
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

I always purchase tires at Costco. I went in last month to replace the front tires out of necessity. Costco told me the rear tires were 5 years old and needed to be replaced. The tread on each tire was more than 2/3rds gone and if I purchase four new tires {as opposed to two} I would save $100 and a later trip to Costco. All things consider, I acquiesced. I am probably better off and safer now.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"If 6 year old tires are bad, so are 5 year old tires. Might as well replace them every year for the utmost in safety. In fact, just swap out the whole car."

Remind me never to come to you for any advice. I think I'll stick to what the experts have to say. And fwiw, I replace my low mileage boat trailer tires every 3 or 4 years because they also dry rot on the inside where you can't see the cracks and I don't want to be responsible for my boat and trailer breaking free from the truck on the interstate and wiping out another vehicle. Tires are cheap compare to being sued for killing someone.

And I don't find that buying 4 new car tires every 5 years all that much of a financial burden. Actually, it isn't any burden. I just put 4 new 18" Michelin Premiers on my wife's 2016 Avalon and it only has 25k on it. The factory tires were pretty worn down. My 2016 4Runner only has 23k on it (another end of year purchase) and I'm tired of the mediocre performance of the factory Bridgestones. I see a set of Michelin M/S Defenders in my future the next time they go on sale. I'm hard on tires too, towing and driving on the beach at 18 psi, etc.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Ping Pong wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:56 pm
I doubt they have 3 years of inventory. They simply don’t pay attention to tire age in the warehouse so the ones on the back of the shelf might sit there for years while the ones in the front are constantly used and replenished. It’d be a ton of forklift work to try to rotate the dates on the tires. Hard to see the date when the tires are up 20 feet off the floor.
If they don't have a system for rotating their inventory such that the oldest gets sold first, well, that's reason alone not to shop at Sam's Club, isn't it?
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Ping Pong wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:56 pm
I suspect that Sam's Club sells 3 year old tires not because of poor inventory practices of either Sam's Club or the tire manufacturer, but because Sam's Club finds them somewhere on the market and buys them at a discount.

Costco does not do this, as their tires are always recently manufactured. Nor, I imagine, would any other reputable tire dealer.

JT
dm200

Post by dm200 »

In our case, one of our older (1998 Camry) cars is only driven locally - and rarely at even normal highway speed. For this kind of use, my opinion is that older tires do not present much of a risk.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Inventory is likely coming from a tire wholesaler, not Sam's Club's warehouse.

OP has learned a value lesson, it's the buyer's responsibility to check product before paying for it. I've been checking my tires for over 20 years, and won't buy any tire that isn't 3 months or more recent. Same goes for any new car I buy, 3 months from date of vehicle manufacture or ask the dealer to swap them out.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Topic Author
oko

Post by oko »

I went to Costco tire center yesterday also. The people there looked much more knowledgeable, professional and helpful there. The guy there spent like 20 minutes with me going over the options. He said as a company policy, they never sell 3 year old or older tires and all tires they have are manufactured in 2018 or 2019. Of course this is the sale guy, so I would not expect him to say bad things.

What Sam's club says changes so many times that I can no longer trust them with anything. Yesterday the tire supervisor said I can replace the tires at Costco and bring back the 3-year old "new" tires to Sam's. But when I went to the store, that option was never mentioned. Besides, I am really afraid that if I do that, they will not accept the tires if they see slight damage to any of them and this stupid thing will cost me now $1000.

I opened an incident with Sam's club corporate also but I doubt that they will do anything. In order for them to do something, they need to accept that there is a problem. There is no one that I talked who is knowledgeable (and maybe intelligent?) enough that there is a problem, even after they say that 6.5 year old tires are "too old to put them back again".
dm200

Post by dm200 »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:36 am Inventory is likely coming from a tire wholesaler, not Sam's Club's warehouse.
OP has learned a value lesson, it's the buyer's responsibility to check product before paying for it. I've been checking my tires for over 20 years, and won't buy any tire that isn't 3 months or more recent. Same goes for any new car I buy, 3 months from date of vehicle manufacture or ask the dealer to swap them out.
When do you bring up the age of "new" tires? At Sam's Club do you have a chance to look at the tires before they are installed?
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

dm200 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:47 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:36 am Inventory is likely coming from a tire wholesaler, not Sam's Club's warehouse.
When do you bring up the age of "new" tires? At Sam's Club do you have a chance to look at the tires before they are installed?
OP ordered the tires from Sam's Club website to be delivered to local Sam's Club. When they came in, you pick up the phone and call them and say "my tires just came in. Before we setup a time to mount them (or before I wait in line if they don't take appointments), please go read the date codes off each tire and tell me them."

If you're in the store, as you order the tires you want them to put on, say "please go physically pull those tires from your in-store inventory and read the date codes. I want tires 3 months old or newer."

One year when I was getting tires from Discount Tire I called and they checked their inventory and noted that they didn't have 4 that were that new, and simply ordered me 4 more. When they came in, they called and said "they were made 3 weeks ago", and I setup an appointment.

4 tires are $700 - $1,000 or more. I'm only paying for new ones.

At Discount Tire, they allow me to stand literally next to the vehicle during installation. I ensure that the correct wheel ends at the correct location during rotation, something that gets messed up probably 50% of the time due to multiple techs working on a vehicle. They sometimes also miss re-balancing during rotation (which is also free) which I do every time. I physically mark each tire before I leave my house, noting the NEW location after rotation. They sometimes mark them, sometimes don't, and this way I ensure that each tire gets on the proper location.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

If you're in the store, as you order the tires you want them to put on, say "please go physically pull those tires from your in-store inventory and read the date codes. I want tires 3 months old or newer.
Yes - I agree you do not want old tires.

Seems like 3 months is quite short? Until this, and similar, discussion here, I never paid any attention to the dates when we bought new tires.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

dm200 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:03 am
If you're in the store, as you order the tires you want them to put on, say "please go physically pull those tires from your in-store inventory and read the date codes. I want tires 3 months old or newer.
Yes - I agree you do not want old tires.

Seems like 3 months is quite short? Until this, and similar, discussion here, I never paid any attention to the dates when we bought new tires.
Then set whatever you are comfortable with. I picked 3 months. Will I not accept a 14 week old set of tires? Doubtful. But if they find a 3 week old set also, those are going on my vehicle.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

squirm wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:43 am
F150HD wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:01 pm
wow.....hoping you don't keep your underwear that long! :P
Ten years and counting.
I certainly hope that you are “rotating” :wink:
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
greg24

Post by greg24 »

You should get on twitter and tweet all this information at the corporate Walmart account.

I doubt they want the world seeing they sell 3 year old tires and refuse to replace them.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Well, you made me go look. I bought two new tires for the Venerable Bronco from Amazon last year. After learning where to find and how to interpret the date code, I see that they were manufactured in the 36th week of 2018. Pretty fresh at the time!

If you use social media, it's worth taking a stab at that.
epoxyresin

Post by epoxyresin »

greg24 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:21 am You should get on twitter and tweet all this information at the corporate Walmart account.

I doubt they want the world seeing they sell 3 year old tires and refuse to replace them.
I think you overestimate how much most people care about the age of their tires.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

epoxyresin wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:07 pm
greg24 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:21 am You should get on twitter and tweet all this information at the corporate Walmart account.

I think you overestimate how much most people care about the age of their tires.
I'm not estimating anything about how much most people care about the age of their tires.

I am estimating how much corporate Walmart wants to avoid bad PR.
White Coat Investor

andypanda wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:41 am I replace my low mileage boat trailer tires every 3 or 4 years because they also dry rot on the inside where you can't see the cracks and I don't want to be responsible for my boat and trailer breaking free from the truck on the interstate and wiping out another vehicle. Tires are cheap compare to being sued for killing someone.
Do you attach your boat to the truck using the tires? I assume you're replacing the trailer hitch and chains as well, right? :)

I replace my tires every 3 years because I wear them out. That includes the boat tires. But this idea that anything that isn't maximally safe is unsafe is a quick recipe to anxiety and overconsumption/overspending. It's the same excuse people use to buy a new car every year.

How many dollars have to be spent on 6 year old tires with excellent tread to save one life? I'll bet the NNT is at least 3 figures.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
jasc15

Post by jasc15 »

White Coat Investor wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:40 pmBut this idea that anything that isn't maximally safe is unsafe is a quick recipe to anxiety and overconsumption/overspending.
Very concise observation. Thanks for putting it so plainly.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

White Coat Investor wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:40 pm
andypanda wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:41 am I replace my low mileage boat trailer tires every 3 or 4 years because they also dry rot on the inside where you can't see the cracks and I don't want to be responsible for my boat and trailer breaking free from the truck on the interstate and wiping out another vehicle. Tires are cheap compare to being sued for killing someone.
Do you attach your boat to the truck using the tires? I assume you're replacing the trailer hitch and chains as well, right? :)

I replace my tires every 3 years because I wear them out. That includes the boat tires. But this idea that anything that isn't maximally safe is unsafe is a quick recipe to anxiety and overconsumption/overspending. It's the same excuse people use to buy a new car every year.

How many dollars have to be spent on 6 year old tires with excellent tread to save one life? I'll bet the NNT is at least 3 figures.
It's hard, mathematically, to compute the (infinite * 0) type of limit.
If something has a major outcome (death, bankruptcy etc) but is has a very small likelihood to occur it's terribly hard to come up with a worth it or not type of answer.
Topic Author
oko

Post by oko »

Both Sam's club's and samsclub.com's customer service is a joke. They promised to callback "tomorrow" on Monday but I never received one. I tweeted to Sam's club's official account and they did not even reply.

If anyone still thinks that getting 3 years old tires is okay, here's some more info:

1-If you get a flat and your tire is 6 years old or more, no reputable tire show will repair it, including Sam's. I called Sam's tire shop who installed the tires and asked this without giving my name. They said "no we don't repair 6 year old tires". So if I get a flat 3 years from now (when the tires will have 12K miles or so), I will need to replace it.

2-Costco does not even accept tires more than 2 years old from distributers/manufacturers, confirming what the Costco's tire guy told to me. Here is a discussion about that: https://www.reddit.com/r/Costco/comment ... _old_tires.

I will write this off as a punishment for my cheapness.
IMO

Post by IMO »

Trailer tires are recommended to be replaced at a reasonable interval, even if they are not worn out via tread wear. Having to replace a boat trailer tire on the side of the highway because I was trying to milk an extra $25 out of a old tire that costs $100 isn't worth the risk. I have dual axles which gives some extra protection, but trying to save a buck on a single axle trailer? (My cars are about 10 and 20 yrs old so I don't overspend to just overspend).

The OP post is a good reminder to actually look at the date of manufacture when you buy any tire.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

Can you dispute the charge?
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

dm200 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:35 pm
I suppose because it may be impossible to know how many of the tires will be sold before you manufacture them.

Tire companies have been making tires for a hundred years, they should know how many to make each year.
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

oko wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:55 pm Both Sam's club's and samsclub.com's customer service is a joke. They promised to callback "tomorrow" on Monday but I never received one. I tweeted to Sam's club's official account and they did not even reply.

If anyone still thinks that getting 3 years old tires is okay, here's some more info:

1-If you get a flat and your tire is 6 years old or more, no reputable tire show will repair it, including Sam's. I called Sam's tire shop who installed the tires and asked this without giving my name. They said "no we don't repair 6 year old tires". So if I get a flat 3 years from now (when the tires will have 12K miles or so), I will need to replace it.

2-Costco does not even accept tires more than 2 years old from distributers/manufacturers, confirming what the Costco's tire guy told to me. Here is a discussion about that: https://www.reddit.com/r/Costco/comment ... _old_tires.

I will write this off as a punishment for my cheapness.
1. Sam's Club sold tires that are about 3 years old.
2. Sam's Club says they won't repair tires over 6 years old.
3. Sam's Club is essentially saying, you have about 3 years left on the tires.
Putting all that together, that is not right.

Would anyone buy new tires with only half their tread remaining? They still have enough tread left to be deemed safe. So people okay buying new tires halfway through their life (life = 6, 10 or 20 years, doesn't matter) should be okay buying new tires with half their tread remaining.

OP, sorry you're jumping through all these hoops to make things right but I'm glad I saw this post. I hope I remember to look at the age of tires next time I buy them.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

fizxman wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:59 am
dm200 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:35 pm

Tire companies have been making tires for a hundred years, they should know how many to make each year.
People have been investing for more than a hundred years, still know one knows what the future holds for our returns.

JT
John Z

Post by John Z »

Tires: Your safety and your life are riding on them.

From the NHTSA’s website:

file:///C:/Users/E430c/Downloads/9719_S1N_Tires_Nwsltr_June13_062713_v4_tag%20(1).pdf

Four page article covers tire aging and relation to accidents plus more info.
White Coat Investor

IMO wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:01 am

Trailer tires are recommended to be replaced at a reasonable interval, even if they are not worn out via tread wear. Having to replace a boat trailer tire on the side of the highway because I was trying to milk an extra $25 out of a old tire that costs $100 isn't worth the risk. I have dual axles which gives some extra protection, but trying to save a buck on a single axle trailer? (My cars are about 10 and 20 yrs old so I don't overspend to just overspend).

The OP post is a good reminder to actually look at the date of manufacture when you buy any tire.
That I agree with. The likelihood of having to change a blown out tire is far higher than the likelihood of anyone getting hurt from one.
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/5189/th ... atal-crash

They’re fine until they aren’t.