Multiple credit card fraud instances

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
MotoTrojan

Multiple credit card fraud instances

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:28 am

I have had 2 credit cards of mine utilized fraudulently in the last 2 weeks, both cards that never left my possession. One was used a single time at a travel website, the other frequently used but not in the last month+.

Coincidence or is there anything I should be worried about?

One was a single charge to Amazon. The other had 6+ charges with the first being <$1 to feel things out.

Cards are from different major US banks.

mhalley

Re: Multiple credit card fraud instances

Post by mhalley » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:47 am

Often it is difficult to pinpoint the point of origin of a cc breach, I wouldn’t be overly concerned just yet. Be sure to shred your cc statements and be on the lookout for skimmers.

https://upgradedpoints.com/how-to-preve ... ard-fraud/

Post by 123 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:00 am

If you haven't already I would request that the cards be re-issued with new card numbers. Having it happen to different cards that didn't leave my possession would make me suspicious as well. A few months back I had a couple of fraudulent uses of a credit card with a car ride service that I have never used (never used any car ride service). Before I had a chance to use the replacement card there was another fraudulent charge from the same car ride service. The bank issued another (2nd) replacement card and said they were blocking all future charges from that car ride service which was fine with me. The cards had never left my possession. Subsequently I changed all automatic recurring charges to alternate pseudo credit card numbers. Major banks have services that provide updated credit card numbers/expiration dates for automatic recurring charges so I suspect that's why my replacement card went bad so quickly.

I had another recent incident when a credit card got used for car rental overseas (I never used the (major) car rental firm involved and never traveled to the continent the charge was from). I got an alert and objected to the provisional charge. They reissued me a new number and put the same charge I had objected to on the replacement credit card. I called to protest the charge and they removed it.

Either the banks have a lot of whole in their systems and/or they just don't care. I suspect that both are true.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:03 am

Could be coincidence. But it could also be theft by someone you know. Do you use a cleaning service? Leave your wallet/purse on your desk when you go to a meeting at work? Etc.?

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:11 am

I had my main cash back credit card compromised a year or two ago. Got the replacement card and after activating it, but before ever using it, that replacement card was compromised. Got a replacement for the replacement and have not had a problem since.

Have you used those two cards at the same retailer? If not, probably just a coincidence.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:26 am

mhalley wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:47 am
Often it is difficult to pinpoint the point of origin of a cc breach, I wouldn’t be overly concerned just yet. Be sure to shred your cc statements and be on the lookout for skimmers.

A better solution is to go paperless and not get cc statements.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:31 am

If these are sock drawered cards that you don't use, most credit card companies now let you "lock" cards, which is helpful. I also get notifications every single time a charge happens. It's annoying, but for fraud, I know instantly.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:12 am

Similar experience last week. One card was impacted for us - that of my mother-in-law, whose finances I monitor. 7 probing charges between late evening Feb 4 and early morning Feb 5th - one from Amazon and 6 from Pay-Pal. All for $1 dollar, and including some $1 dollar credits. Love those thorough hackers!

Anyway, we had gotten immediate warning from Discover (by email at 8 am that morning and via Quicken pop-up). No harm, they locked the account immediately when I responded to that email (and we could have locked it online at anytime anyway). Old card terminated, new card will be ordered shortly (our choice). Charges reversed that day. Call to card security was quick and easy.

Although her card was very limited use, it was still impossible for us to pinpoint the exact source. In this case, it could be: an online source, a look over a shoulder in a store, caregiver theft, or a merchant database that wasn't encrypted. Card companies pretty much just view this as a cost of doing business. Although Discover did give us kudos for reacting so fast.

Bottom line, I already automatically monitor cards daily anyway (via Quicken and text/email alerts), so will keep doing that. When out and about, I use Google Pay whenever possible, so a few less people touch my cards and so I don't have watch for skimmers (popular around here). Online usage on well-secured devices has to continue for me anyway. Beyond that, I'm not going to worry. If it starts to happen a lot, I'll take steps to locate the source.

Topic Author
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:18 am

Yup I monitor regularly so not overly concerned. I need to double check but in hindsight I may have used the frequently used one at the same vendor which the other card had it’s sole legit charge on. I also used a 3rd card there so I’ll keep my eyes peeled!

mpsz

Post by mpsz » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:39 am

GoldStar wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:26 am
mhalley wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:47 am

A better solution is to go paperless and not get cc statements.
+1. It always amazed me that your "account number" and "card number" were the same, and they'll print it all over each of your statements. It seems a system like a checking account, where you have an account number (what's printed on your checks) and your card number (on your debit card) is a totally unrelated number, would be a much better approach. Go paperless if you're able.