simplifying my portfolio

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
vanguard neophyte

simplifying my portfolio

Post by vanguard neophyte » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:18 pm

I have recently joined this forum and transferred my IRA from Merrill Lynch and 1.5% advisor fee to a brokerage Vanguard account. I have 11 different mutual funds and 4 ETFs (one is a Vanguard ETF) and I want to decrease my costs, simplify my portfolio and maximize my returns. Just learning so I apologize if this has been covered in the forum already. How do you start trading, selling or exchanging these Non-Vanguard funds/ETFs to get to the 3 Vanguard fund portfolio strategy with lower costs and better returns? Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions!

Beensabu

Re: simplifying my portfolio

Post by Beensabu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:47 pm

Welcome to the forum :)

I recommend editing your original post to follow the Asking Portfolio Questions format. At the very least, list your (1) desired asset allocation (US stocks / ex-US stocks / bonds) and (2) current funds (full name and ticker) including expense ratios and indicating what percentage of your portfolio is in each fund.

That will make it possible for people to help you.

If you are just asking about the mechanics of how to buy/sell using the Vanguard platform, then please indicate that.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next."

Topic Author
vanguard neophyte

Post by vanguard neophyte » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:26 am

really just the mechanics of selling or trading my current mutual funds on the vanguard platform and moving towards the 3 fund portfolio advocated by the book at by that name. I felt listing the each fund and their cost ratio and ticker simple would be to tedious for people. Thanks for the reply and directions.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:31 am

When restructuring a portfolio you also will want to look at the tax consequences if the various funds are in a taxable account. Selling losers to offset winners helps. It is sometime necessary to hold winners for a one year minimum to receive favorable tax treatment.

What I am trying to point out is that there is more to simplification than just selling and buying.

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:48 pm

neophite, just to clarify, you transferred an IRA to a Vanguard IRA. If you know what funds you want, just tell Vanguard to make the switch. If you don't know what you should have, then you should ramp up on the learning curve. Here are some links to help... and continue to ask questions.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Getting_started

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... art-up_kit

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=88005

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

ExitStageLeft

Post by ExitStageLeft » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:49 pm

My wife did this exact thing but it was an Edward Jones IRA. The assets transferred in kind and once the transfer was complete she sold them all and bought Vanguard funds. It's been a few months, but I think you start the process simply by clicking on the account and selecting the option to purchase shares.

Beensabu

Post by Beensabu » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:41 am

vanguard neophyte wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:26 am
really just the mechanics of selling or trading my current mutual funds on the vanguard platform and moving towards the 3 fund portfolio advocated by the book at by that name. I felt listing the each fund and their cost ratio and ticker simple would be to tedious for people. Thanks for the reply and directions.
My Account > Buy & sell

Under “Brokerage Products”, select "Trade non-Vanguard funds via FundAccess®"

Do your thing.

The proceeds will go into your money market settlement fund.

Please note that I would assume there are likely some kind of brokerage service and/or redemption fees involved in this:

https://investor.vanguard.com/investing ... tual-funds

Once settled, you should then be able to select a "Buy Vanguard funds" option under My Account > Buy & sell and follow the instructions here:

https://investor.vanguard.com/contact-u ... guard-fund

You can also call them to verify whether the above is correct or have them do it for you.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next."