What is a Boglehead funeral/burial?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dm200

Re: What is a Boglehead funeral/burial?

Post by dm200 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:08 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:43 pm
dm200 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:40 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:32 pm
I want to be cremated and my ashes thrown anywhere. Somewhere I liked to visit would be nice, but I'm gone so who cares. I would also prefer a party (preferably at my home if possible) rather than a wake or funeral. A friend had requested a party in his home when he passed. He asked that everyone dress up, there were a few pictures of him, cocktails, food, etc. and it was very nice. I hate going to funerals/wakes and would like to spare others from going to mine and saving money is secondary.
The receptions/repasts after funerals or memorial services at my place of worship are much like this (except for folks needing to dress up)
I am told things vary regionally too. I think in some places in the South receptions/wakes are sometimes held in homes whereas here (Chicago) I've never really heard of it being done. My friend I mentioned above also had a traditional wake/viewing/funeral at a funeral home.
After the church funeral of a friend's brother, his church had a "ministry" or committee that prepared and served a nice reception/repast in the church hall. My wife and I sat with some of the parishioners from that church. They told us that, at one time, it was common that they served wine at these events. They stopped serving wine because when folks were drinking wine, they just stayed and stayed and stayed. The Ministry/Committee ended up having to stay a long time. With no wine served, things wrapped up much more quickly :sharebeer

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:23 pm

steve roy wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:53 pm
Burial arrangements?

Brown wrapping paper, twine, and a large dumpster in the dead of night ought to do just fine.
Yes indeed. I don't think there is a boglehead funeral but if there was one, they would do it themselves.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:40 pm

Read the book, "Smoke gets in your eyes", and see how the funeral industry has made itself so indispensable since inception. You will see it is in the same class as financial advisors and annuity salesmen, and car salesmen. And how they have instigated laws to achieve their aims.
The major thought is up sell while appealing to your emotions and guilt.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:46 pm

My desire is immediate cremation. Then, when family wants to have a celebration of life, I want to treat my family, friends, neighbors to a nice get together. Flowing adult beverages for those who imbibe, with a spread of Cuban food that has become the family favorites over the years.

I need to construct a playlist of my favorite music, sure to torture my daughters, but will be appreciated by those near my age. :)

I've been given 20 years more than anyone expected, so that extension has been wonderful, all in all. No idea when I'll assume room temp, but I have no regrets, and appreciate greatly the time I have been given, thus far. Not in any hurry to check out, but I don't get to make that decision.

My parents and siblings are already dead. I do have periods of time when I really miss them, especially around holidays and such. I really wish my grandchildren had been able to know my parents, but that is a problem when you are the youngest in the family. At least our children knew all their grandparents. I only knew my grandmothers.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:53 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:23 pm
How might we apply the "Boglehead" philosophy to our funeral and burial plans/expenses?
keep the expenses as low as possible?

GCD

Post by GCD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:16 pm

My FIL was cremated, my mom wants to be cremated and my wife and I will be cremated. I joke that I will put it in my will that my children get nothing if they don't personally scatter my ashes at the top of K2, but I probably won't do that.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:20 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:12 pm
My own family, as I recall, would often be very critical when someone died and was in a "welfare casket". They thought it was very important as to how the deceased "looked" at the viewing - and such "viewings" would typically be for 2-3 days/evenings before the funeral.
Same, only now people are cognizant of cost. Viewings are now 1 day, followed by funeral mass and then burial at local cemetery.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

kaesler

Post by kaesler » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:07 pm

Body flown 10,000 miles to my hometown and buried beside my relatives on a hillside serenaded forever by kookaburras. Use the Roth.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:19 am

Let's not confuse "cheap" with "value." A bicycle is not a Boglehead automobile.

Rather, I think a Boglehead funeral would be one where you determine in advance what kind of ceremony is consistent with your values and desire and then you plan that ceremony at the lowest cost within reason.

Investing is deferred consumption. After a certain point, you should have enough funds available to cover the basics of life (food, shelter, medical) and it's not irresponsible to fund ceremonies like weddings and funerals. Life is not a business. And if you don't spend your money, someone else will.

But what burns me about funerals is when people spend money they don't have for ceremonies they don't want, and often out of a sense of obligation or because they've been guilt-tripped into it by the funeral industry. And they're made to feel guilty for even *thinking* about costs and doing price comparisons. I've seen this--people are made to feel that spending money is how they show their love.

I have made it been known to my family that they can have a ceremony, but that it is my wish that they do it it at the least cost possible consistent with what they want, that that I would be personally offended and upset if they spent more than they needed to. I say this in a joking manner and add that I"m serious-- that I think that there are a lot of scammers in the funerary industry, and that I want to minimize what they get. This is to alleviate any feelings of guilt they may have in springing for the cardboard casket - it's all going to be reduced to ashes anyway! :D

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:03 am

dm200 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:12 pm
Growing up (in the 50's and early 60's) in a low income area, I recall how "important" it was for most people (even with low/modest incomes) to have pretty much "the works" when it came to funerals and burials. My own family, as I recall, would often be very critical when someone died and was in a "welfare casket". They thought it was very important as to how the deceased "looked" at the viewing - and such "viewings" would typically be for 2-3 days/evenings before the funeral.
It's my impression that cultural norms have changed quite a bit in this regard. I've never been to a funeral with a viewing, and often a casket is not even present. I'm sure it depends on regional and religious differences.

FCM

Post by FCM » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:24 am

Inexpensive cremation, modest memorial service, and ashes scattered in the Chesapeake Bay where I formerly sailed my boat.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:26 am

bengal22 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:23 pm
steve roy wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:53 pm
Burial arrangements?

Brown wrapping paper, twine, and a large dumpster in the dead of night ought to do just fine.
Yes indeed. I don't think there is a boglehead funeral but if there was one, they would do it themselves.
You forgot the cash back bonus. :annoyed

They can dispose of my longer needed material self as seen fit but cremation would work—unless science has some use for it.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:30 am

Boglehead Funeral

1. Professionally drawn up will/trust in place and ready to be executed.
2. Allocation and portfolio glide path projections in place.
3. Funeral/burial, and other end of life/post life expenses taken care of.
4. Everything in balance and at peace.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

latesaver

Post by latesaver » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:47 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:13 pm
Is there a Ralph's around here?
Good night, sweet prince.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:33 pm

I have the romantic notion of being buried simply in a linen shroud (no chemicals) with a tree planted above me, however it is pretty impractical. On the more practical side I like the idea of donation (if possible) and direct cremation with ashes scattered in the woods somewhere.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Wake, 2 viewings
Church service
Cemetery
Repass

Paid out of my estate

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:15 pm

Finridge wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:19 am
I think a Boglehead funeral would be one where you determine in advance what kind of ceremony is consistent with your values and desire and then you plan that ceremony at the lowest cost within reason.
+1.

When planning for your funeral, I think what's most important is devising a plan that's reasonably feasible for your family/executor to carry out and to have the money set aside to pay for such arrangements. Beyond that I think it's just a matter of personal preference as to how simple or how fancy you want your funeral to be.

CarolL

Post by CarolL » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:28 pm

Unfortunately, I have very recent experience with this topic. My husband recently passed, this was after an extended illness. His wishes that the really didn't care about how his body was disposed of when he died. He died in a hospice, and when the time came, I asked them about what I needed to do. The nurse there gave me a list of vendors they frequently dealt with. I should mention his is in the NYC metro area, on Long Island, not known for affordable prices. I chose direct cremation. It was $1295 inclusive. Here's the interesting part. They do most of their business via email, so as to keep the price low. They emailed me about 12 pages to fill out, one that had to be notarized ( attesting to I was next of kin). After filling out the papers, and getting them notarized, I just didn't feel like playing with the computer to upload all the forms, and emailing them. I asked whether I could drop them off in person. I was surprised to be directed to a well known, and heavily TV advertised chain here. When I went to their office, it was on a huge park like setting. They have one stop shopping, including a traditional funeral home, crematorium, and a catering hall! I guess they are working both sides of the fence. Those that want to splurge on all the trappings, and those that do not. Btw, my husband was in the military, and could have had the "free" burial. I still can elect to have his ashes interred.

Family is spread all over the country. I intend to have a "memorial" type service when we next have our yearly family reunion this summer.

1210sda

Post by 1210sda » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:26 am

Livesoft, thanks for the video link

sfnerd

Post by sfnerd » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:31 am

Just throw me in the trash. - Frank Reynolds

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:48 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:30 am
Boglehead Funeral

These are my thoughts too. I have been surprised at comments here. A corpse should be treated with respect and respectfully buried in my view. Not against cremation but that is not my choice. Want to be put somewhere that family can visit whenever they want.
A fool and his money are good for business.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 am

I’m following my husband’s family in this aspect, cremation and spread the ash on the green grass. I’ve inquired from the place my mom was buried, it’s about $10k or less. That’s where I’ll put in my instruction for my kids one day. I’ve asked my sister and she said the same thing. Simple.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:59 am

Donate the body to medical or research purposes. They even provide you with a death certificate. There is no cost and one good thing you can do with your remains.

My father did this, and I plan on doing that as well.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Theseus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:59 am
Donate the body to medical or research purposes. They even provide you with a death certificate. There is no cost and one good thing you can do with your remains.

From my understanding, though, you always need a "backup plan" in case the donation is not accepted. The reasons for the body not being accepted may include:
- death at too far a distance from the facility
- death with or from certain types of conditions or injuries
- the facility is not accepting body donations at that time, perhaps because they are not needed

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:20 pm

I imagine that the ultimate Boglehead funeral would be a lot like a Viking funeral, but instead of using a raft, one would be strapped to the hulk of an ancient Toyota Camry (that had been driven into the ground, of course) floated out to sea and burned.

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:33 pm

El Greco » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:20 pm
I imagine that the ultimate Boglehead funeral would be a lot like a Viking funeral, but instead of using a raft, one would be strapped to the hulk of an ancient Toyota Camry (that had been driven into the ground, of course) floated out to sea and burned.
:P :P :P :P LOL!

Our family funerals have all been modest affairs, burial in the family plot and fried chicken in the church basement afterward for family and friends. In my father and mother's cases, the funeral directors and pastors were long-time family friends. Like with the weddings, these occasions have been a time to catch up with far-flung family members. And while grieving for our latest departed, I must admit that the jokes told at funerals are often gut-busting---some of the funniest moments we all have shared---along with the inevitable tears, of course. They seem to go together in my family.

We are now in the process of organizing a stone to be placed in a family plot for a great aunt who was a kind of black sheep of the family and never wanted a service. However, we who remember her (there are fewer of us each year) want her to be represented there. I'm sure we'll tell funny and sad stories when we gather at that commemoration as well.

Is this an actionable post? Well, I suppose what I'm pointing out is that (most of) my family is frugal by nature, so funerals are naturally more about the memory of that person rather than any kind of show. I've never thought much about the expenses of a funeral-----usually we're all too focused on being together.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:48 pm

Is this an actionable post? Well, I suppose what I'm pointing out is that (most of) my family is frugal by nature, so funerals are naturally more about the memory of that person rather than any kind of show. I've never thought much about the expenses of a funeral-----usually we're all too focused on being together.
Yes, it's actionable. Maybe you haven't thought much about the expense of a funeral, but you know who has? The funeral director. Possibly your individual situation is different, but there is a lot of money made in the funeral business, because people buy coffins and funeral-related services even less often than they buy cars and houses usually. And they are often not thinking clearly, and wanting to get things over with. Plenty of opportunity to charge people for things they don't need.

It does help to plan and price out services in advance, so you are spending money on what you care about. Some people feel the need to make a big production of the funeral as a sign of love and respect for the departed and the community. Some people want to keep things low key. The pressure from the funeral industry in general is to spend big, and this thread has a lot of idea on how to keep things simple for those who didn't spend big in life and don't want their families to feel pressured to spend big on their departure.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:50 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:13 pm
Theseus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:59 am

From my understanding, though, you always need a "backup plan" in case the donation is not accepted. The reasons for the body not being accepted may include:
- death at too far a distance from the facility
- death with or from certain types of conditions or injuries
- the facility is not accepting body donations at that time, perhaps because they are not needed
These are some good points. Will have to think about what to do if something like this happens.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Whatever my heirs decide to do - I don't care - I won't be there. In my mind - the funeral is for the living not for the dead so they can make the decisions. If that's simply cremating me and dumping me out somewhere fine with me.

jburke

Post by jburke » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:08 pm

I'll donate my body to science then have the cremated remains sold as lawn and garden soil amendment.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:09 pm

El Greco wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:20 pm
:happy But not pushed out too far so the $100 scrap credit for the Camry can be returned to the estate. Once retreived, we can have another thread about repair vs scrap of the old Camry.

I second the suggestions for medical donation.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:42 pm

I'd like a simple, direct cremation in a cardboard box, with my ashes spread in the woods. I kind of think putting them in a pinata would be cool, as I always wanted a birthday party with a pinata, but never had one. But my kids have vetoed this idea. A little later, a nice party with good food, booze, music and laughter.

I'm not much on the idea of funerals being for the living. I think funerals are one last opportunity for the living to honor the wishes of the dead, provided the dead have left the means to do so.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:29 pm

I really can’t believe there is a boglehead funeral. A funeral is for the living. It is way too personal to label it.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:35 pm

True BH don't die until they sell their fund shares. After all, they follow a buy & hold philosophy, not buy & die.

raveon

Post by raveon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:35 pm

Become insect fodder.

GCD

Post by GCD » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:43 pm

HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:09 pm
El Greco wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:20 pm
:happy But not pushed out too far so the $100 scrap credit for the Camry can be returned to the estate. Once retreived, we can have another thread about repair vs scrap of the old Camry.

I second the suggestions for medical donation.
What if the BH was cremated and then placed in a beater car destined for crushing? Then the heirs could get the scrap value of the car AND the urn.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:39 pm

nedsaid wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:48 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:30 am
Boglehead Funeral

These are my thoughts too. I have been surprised at comments here. A corpse should be treated with respect and respectfully buried in my view. Not against cremation but that is not my choice. Want to be put somewhere that family can visit whenever they want.
It's been said that a funeral, last respects, a place of honor, is for the living, not the deceased.

FIL (career military, WWII vet, etc) recently laid to rest with full honors and jet fly by at Arlington National Cemetery. Generations will be able to visit the "site" and pay respects to his service and their heritage.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:41 pm

A Tuperware urn. My aunt is doing this.

Jeff of the NW

Post by Jeff of the NW » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:25 pm

Cardboard box into creamation furnace, plastic bag for ashes, kids and friends scatter ashes from favorite back country mountaintop ... downwind, of course! :oops:
... Parked diagonally in a parallel universe ...

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:27 pm

Lots of talk in these posts about cremation, but after the cremation there is the problem of what to do with the ashes. One option is to purchase a niche in a columbarium. Another is to buy a plot to bury the urn (or the wooden box). Scattering the ashes at sea can get expensive and complicated. Scattering the ashes on private land can be risky if you're not the owner of the private land. Scattering the ashes in National Parks has another whole set of complicated rules, and some National Parks don't permit it at all.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:34 pm

I am leaning towards a vikng funeral.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:26 am

You might consider the practical information you can leave behind. Make sure your family has a copy of your DNA (there are companies that will convert saliva into dried DNA samples that you can store indefinitely) or your DNA profile (for ancestry/genealogical purposes). What happens with your dead/decaying bones/flesh isn't as important as the genetic/genealogical information that will be lost once you pass. You can pre-write your own obituary to make sure as much relevant information is put inside for future generations. I've found a lot of what I needed for my family history from old obituaries in newspapers. I think that it is important to the chain of life that when you pass, you identify your spot in it.

Also collect stories of ancestors, your own life, photos, etc. for future generations, write it up in a book, and donate it to a couple of libraries as a genealogical item.

I think the funeral itself is for the living, so I will leave it up to them to decide how they want to grieve instead of dictating how and where it will be done, my only stipulation being that it not be religious (since I'm not religious). A family-and-friends gathering for a meal in lieu of a service probably works. Personally, I cannot stomach the idea of being burnt (even after death), so my preference would be just to be buried near a nice tree.

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:01 am

Yes, funerals are for the living. So are inheritances and memories. Doesn't mean you should leave none. A funeral is your last opportunity to make a mark on the world. Donate your body, bring family and friends together, have a farewell read, have a song played, have a gift distributed... so many ways to make a lasting impression. I've often joked that I would blow my entire savings on the funeral to make an event to remember. I'm not serious of course but I would like to spend more than the least possible.
nedsaid wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:48 am
I'd prefer cremation but I too would like a resting marker somewhere.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:12 am

If I may be the contrarian:

Investing wisely means you probably have a boatload of money at the end of your life.

There is comfort in the rituals, even if they do not make sense.

If having a funeral would compromise my spouse's life after my demise, then she should forgo anything but a minimal service, but that is exceedingly unlikely in my case.

My kids can take care of themselves, and could easily surpass my net worth, so I am not worried about leaving an inheritance, though my guess is that they will get a substantial inheritance. The median terminal value after 30 years using the 4% rule exceeds the initial portfolio, and I do not intend to retire until a conservative estimate of return virtually ensures the portfolio will survive, and quite likely increase

I

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:27 am

I’ll be laid down in Arlington, because that’s what my wife wants and it’s all arranged for both of us, but frankly, couldn’t we all be dumped in an alley or in the ocean? It won’t matter to us. Arlington is largely free if you can get in these days, and free is good enough for me. Nobody will remember me in 40 years (or maybe less), so what does it matter? The Germans may have this one right. Most German graves are for 20 years, and must be maintained to the highest level. Once 20 years is up, few still care and the grave goes on to the next 20 year occupant.

That being said, I intend to leave 100% of my assets to my children and won’t draw down anything but dividends, if that, along the way. Tho I won’t have any control over it, my offspring will have a better shot at a life of leisure than I had, which is good enough for me.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:34 am

StevieG72 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:34 pm
I am leaning towards a vikng funeral.
Hadn’t honestly thought about that, but as a son of Norwegian parents, I may change my mind if I can find a ship builder.

Cancel what I posted above!!

southport

Post by southport » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:00 am

So the husband passed away. His wife went to the newspaper to submit his obituary. It read: "Bob died." The newspaper said they had a five-word minimum. So she changed it to "Bob died. Toyota for sale."

Gray

Post by Gray » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:40 am

Bob was here, and now he’s gone,
He left his name to carry on,
Those who knew him, knew him well,
Those who didn’t can go to ....

OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:54 am

3504PIR wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:27 am
I’ll be laid down in Arlington, because that’s what my wife wants and it’s all arranged for both of us, but frankly, couldn’t we all be dumped in an alley or in the ocean? It won’t matter to us. Arlington is largely free if you can get in these days, and free is good enough for me. Nobody will remember me in 40 years (or maybe less), so what does it matter? The Germans may have this one right. Most German graves are for 20 years, and must be maintained to the highest level. Once 20 years is up, few still care and the grave goes on to the next 20 year occupant.

That being said, I intend to leave 100% of my assets to my children and won’t draw down anything but dividends, if that, along the way. Tho I won’t have any control over it, my offspring will have a better shot at a life of leisure than I had, which is good enough for me.
If you are going to laid to rest in Arlington then let just say thank you for your service. I went to a funeral of a friend who was laid to rest in Arlington after an amazing career defending our country...Only Heros lay there...Thank you!

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:02 am

There is comfort in the rituals, even if they do not make sense.
I come from a long line of people who go for the full fig funeral. Embalming, tarting up the corpse, fancy casket, wake on one day, whole hog religious service the next, limos to the cemetery, graveside service, headstone. You name it, they do it.

I find zero comfort in this. Quite the opposite. I find it ghastly, disturbing and ridiculous. I know many do find comfort in this, but not everyone does.