[Looking for a full list of Vanguard funds - Treasury MMF not listed]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Post Reply
User avatar
Topic Author
305pelusa
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:20 pm

[Looking for a full list of Vanguard funds - Treasury MMF not listed]

Post by 305pelusa » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:39 pm

Hello,
This might seem like a silly question but can someone point me to a complete line-up of all the Vanguard mutual funds and ETFs to choose from? For months I have been using this one:
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... nd-returns

But I have seen enough threads referencing the so-called "Treasury MMF" (which does not show up above) that I decided to google it. Lo and behold, I found it just fine:
https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... file/VUSXX

Once I found the above, I wondered if there are other Vanguard funds/ETFs that don't show up on that list (first link). Googled to see if I could find anything factor-related and yet again:
https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/VFMO

So clearly, I am not looking in the right place. Could a kind fella point me to he location of a comprehensive list of their funds and ETFs? Thanks! :happy

User avatar
Kevin M
Posts: 11216
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Full list of Vanguard funds

Post by Kevin M » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:55 pm

To find Treasury MM fund, for example, modify the filter to include fund minimum of $50,000 and up. The default selections do not include this, and the minimum for Treasury MM is $50K.

Also select all share classes in your filter. This will get you 304 funds as of now. The default search you linked to returns only 130 funds.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

User avatar
Topic Author
305pelusa
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:20 pm

Re: Full list of Vanguard funds

Post by 305pelusa » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:02 pm

Ah thank you very much. Vanguard just defaults to that it seems and I did not even realize.

What about for ETFs? The page seems to default to 59 of them here:
https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/list# ... nd-returns

I think the filter is set to "all" classes. When I select the Russel index, now it shows 16 new ETFs that did not show before, which is also new to me. But how do you make the factor ones show up (like the momentum)? I still feel like that list of 59 ETFs + 16 of the Russells might be missing dozens of ETFs.

Once again, thank you very much.

stan1
Posts: 7601
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Full list of Vanguard funds

Post by stan1 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:11 pm

You can go to the "financial advisors" portal instead of the "personal investor" portal to get all ETFs.

Here's a link :
https://advisors.vanguard.com/VGApp/iip ... roduct_etf

User avatar
Topic Author
305pelusa
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:20 pm

Re: Full list of Vanguard funds

Post by 305pelusa » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:39 pm

stan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:11 pm
You can go to the "financial advisors" portal instead of the "personal investor" portal to get all ETFs.

Here's a link :
https://advisors.vanguard.com/VGApp/iip ... roduct_etf
Whoah thank you so much. I have never even seen this portal. It's not intuitive at all how to get there from the Vanguard website. This seems to have all the funds/ETFs to invest in.

Thank you very much the both of you.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9372
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Full list of Vanguard funds

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:30 am

stan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:11 pm
You can go to the "financial advisors" portal instead of the "personal investor" portal to get all ETFs.

Here's a link :
https://advisors.vanguard.com/VGApp/iip ... roduct_etf
Hmmm...

I've been using

vanguard.com

And the selecting on the right hand side, the "institutional investors"

And then at the top, "Investments",

And then, scrolling down the left side, *NOT* the first "All" (which is only "index"), but a few lines under the red "GO" button, then (finally!) click on

"See all investment products".

Then a new window opens, and one needs to select (off to the right near the top) "View share classes".
(I ignore, usually, the "benchmarks" because of the clutter, but that might be informative occasionally, especially for non-index products.)

Then one can check which types of holdings.
For example, at this point, we aren't interested in balanced or target funds, so it's easier to see what we *do* want to look at.

-->> Is this going to give the SAME exact list as using the "Advisor" link above?
(That would be easier!)

Thanks!

BTW... WHY does Vanguard make it SO difficult for investors (ordinary people) to find the FULL list?
Are they really just being parentalistic? (If so, I think most of us are adults...!)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

User avatar
Topic Author
305pelusa
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:20 pm

Re: Full list of Vanguard funds

Post by 305pelusa » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:29 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:30 am
stan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:11 pm
You can go to the "financial advisors" portal instead of the "personal investor" portal to get all ETFs.

Here's a link :
https://advisors.vanguard.com/VGApp/iip ... roduct_etf
Hmmm...

I've been using

vanguard.com

And the selecting on the right hand side, the "institutional investors"

And then at the top, "Investments",

And then, scrolling down the left side, *NOT* the first "All" (which is only "index"), but a few lines under the red "GO" button, then (finally!) click on

"See all investment products".

Then a new window opens, and one needs to select (off to the right near the top) "View share classes".
(I ignore, usually, the "benchmarks" because of the clutter, but that might be informative occasionally, especially for non-index products.)

Then one can check which types of holdings.
For example, at this point, we aren't interested in balanced or target funds, so it's easier to see what we *do* want to look at.

-->> Is this going to give the SAME exact list as using the "Advisor" link above?
(That would be easier!)

Thanks!

BTW... WHY does Vanguard make it SO difficult for investors (ordinary people) to find the FULL list?
Are they really just being parentalistic? (If so, I think most of us are adults...!)

RM
I like that final page even better. Looks very neat:
https://institutional.vanguard.com/VGAp ... eviews/all

I am noticing now that the only way to get there was by using safari and not chrome. Vanguard.com defaults to this on chrome:
https://investor.vanguard.com/home/
No way to access the "institutional website" you refer to.

But on safari, it defaults to:
https://investor.vanguard.com/corporate-portal/

I'm a bit upset that it's so inconsistent and they seem to have somewhat parallel user interfaces, defaulting via various browsers. I imagine Vanguard does not spend too much on their user interface to fix these bugs, lack of intuitiveness and difficulty in finding the full fund list. Then again, that's precisely what keeps the expenses so low so you won't hear me complain about it :D

Thank you very much !

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9372
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Full list of Vanguard funds

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:58 am

305pelusa wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:29 am
ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:30 am
stan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:11 pm
You can go to the "financial advisors" portal instead of the "personal investor" portal to get all ETFs.

Here's a link :
https://advisors.vanguard.com/VGApp/iip ... roduct_etf
Hmmm...

I've been using

vanguard.com

And the selecting on the right hand side, the "institutional investors"

And then at the top, "Investments",

And then, scrolling down the left side, *NOT* the first "All" (which is only "index"), but a few lines under the red "GO" button, then (finally!) click on

"See all investment products".

Then a new window opens, and one needs to select (off to the right near the top) "View share classes".
(I ignore, usually, the "benchmarks" because of the clutter, but that might be informative occasionally, especially for non-index products.)

Then one can check which types of holdings.
For example, at this point, we aren't interested in balanced or target funds, so it's easier to see what we *do* want to look at.

-->> Is this going to give the SAME exact list as using the "Advisor" link above?
(That would be easier!)

Thanks!

BTW... WHY does Vanguard make it SO difficult for investors (ordinary people) to find the FULL list?
Are they really just being parentalistic? (If so, I think most of us are adults...!)

RM
I like that final page even better. Looks very neat:
https://institutional.vanguard.com/VGAp ... eviews/all

I am noticing now that the only way to get there was by using safari and not chrome. Vanguard.com defaults to this on chrome:
https://investor.vanguard.com/home/
No way to access the "institutional website" you refer to.

But on safari, it defaults to:
https://investor.vanguard.com/corporate-portal/

I'm a bit upset that it's so inconsistent and they seem to have somewhat parallel user interfaces, defaulting via various browsers. I imagine Vanguard does not spend too much on their user interface to fix these bugs, lack of intuitiveness and difficulty in finding the full fund list. Then again, that's precisely what keeps the expenses so low so you won't hear me complain about it :D

Thank you very much !
I'm using Chrome, and have no trouble going to "just" Vanguard.com - and then proceeding as described.
And then I get to the window that has the few choices down the right side, where I choose "institutional".

Do you have some autocomplete thing happening perhaps?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

User avatar
Topic Author
305pelusa
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:20 pm

Re: Full list of Vanguard funds

Post by 305pelusa » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:01 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:58 am
305pelusa wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:29 am
ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:30 am
stan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:11 pm
You can go to the "financial advisors" portal instead of the "personal investor" portal to get all ETFs.

Here's a link :
https://advisors.vanguard.com/VGApp/iip ... roduct_etf
Hmmm...

I've been using

vanguard.com

And the selecting on the right hand side, the "institutional investors"

And then at the top, "Investments",

And then, scrolling down the left side, *NOT* the first "All" (which is only "index"), but a few lines under the red "GO" button, then (finally!) click on

"See all investment products".

Then a new window opens, and one needs to select (off to the right near the top) "View share classes".
(I ignore, usually, the "benchmarks" because of the clutter, but that might be informative occasionally, especially for non-index products.)

Then one can check which types of holdings.
For example, at this point, we aren't interested in balanced or target funds, so it's easier to see what we *do* want to look at.

-->> Is this going to give the SAME exact list as using the "Advisor" link above?
(That would be easier!)

Thanks!

BTW... WHY does Vanguard make it SO difficult for investors (ordinary people) to find the FULL list?
Are they really just being parentalistic? (If so, I think most of us are adults...!)

RM
I like that final page even better. Looks very neat:
https://institutional.vanguard.com/VGAp ... eviews/all

I am noticing now that the only way to get there was by using safari and not chrome. Vanguard.com defaults to this on chrome:
https://investor.vanguard.com/home/
No way to access the "institutional website" you refer to.

But on safari, it defaults to:
https://investor.vanguard.com/corporate-portal/

I'm a bit upset that it's so inconsistent and they seem to have somewhat parallel user interfaces, defaulting via various browsers. I imagine Vanguard does not spend too much on their user interface to fix these bugs, lack of intuitiveness and difficulty in finding the full fund list. Then again, that's precisely what keeps the expenses so low so you won't hear me complain about it :D

Thank you very much !
I'm using Chrome, and have no trouble going to "just" Vanguard.com - and then proceeding as described.
And then I get to the window that has the few choices down the right side, where I choose "institutional".

Do you have some autocomplete thing happening perhaps?

RM
Yeah maybe I do and it's just on my end. Either way, I bookmarked the correct pages now ^_^

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9372
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Full list of Vanguard funds

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:14 am

305pelusa wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:01 am
ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:58 am
305pelusa wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:29 am
ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:30 am
stan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:11 pm
You can go to the "financial advisors" portal instead of the "personal investor" portal to get all ETFs.

Here's a link :
https://advisors.vanguard.com/VGApp/iip ... roduct_etf
Hmmm...

I've been using

vanguard.com

And the selecting on the right hand side, the "institutional investors"

And then at the top, "Investments",

And then, scrolling down the left side, *NOT* the first "All" (which is only "index"), but a few lines under the red "GO" button, then (finally!) click on

"See all investment products".

Then a new window opens, and one needs to select (off to the right near the top) "View share classes".
(I ignore, usually, the "benchmarks" because of the clutter, but that might be informative occasionally, especially for non-index products.)

Then one can check which types of holdings.
For example, at this point, we aren't interested in balanced or target funds, so it's easier to see what we *do* want to look at.

-->> Is this going to give the SAME exact list as using the "Advisor" link above?
(That would be easier!)

Thanks!

BTW... WHY does Vanguard make it SO difficult for investors (ordinary people) to find the FULL list?
Are they really just being parentalistic? (If so, I think most of us are adults...!)

RM
I like that final page even better. Looks very neat:
https://institutional.vanguard.com/VGAp ... eviews/all

I am noticing now that the only way to get there was by using safari and not chrome. Vanguard.com defaults to this on chrome:
https://investor.vanguard.com/home/
No way to access the "institutional website" you refer to.

But on safari, it defaults to:
https://investor.vanguard.com/corporate-portal/

I'm a bit upset that it's so inconsistent and they seem to have somewhat parallel user interfaces, defaulting via various browsers. I imagine Vanguard does not spend too much on their user interface to fix these bugs, lack of intuitiveness and difficulty in finding the full fund list. Then again, that's precisely what keeps the expenses so low so you won't hear me complain about it :D

Thank you very much !
I'm using Chrome, and have no trouble going to "just" Vanguard.com - and then proceeding as described.
And then I get to the window that has the few choices down the right side, where I choose "institutional".

Do you have some autocomplete thing happening perhaps?

RM
Yeah maybe I do and it's just on my end. Either way, I bookmarked the correct pages now ^_^
Glad you find that helpful.

I forgot to mention that under the "share class" bit, there is a drop-down menu for different displays. I usually select "month end", whereas I think the default is "quarter end".
But that's also where you'd choose "price" if you wanted to see the daily returns, etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

User avatar
Kevin M
Posts: 11216
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Full list of Vanguard funds

Post by Kevin M » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:25 pm

It might be a cookie that is causing you to default to a particular version of the Vanguard website.

Another nice thing about the institutional and/or financial professional sites is that you can download a bunch of data, for example holdings, distributions, etc., which you can then load into a spreadsheet. Useful if you want to do nerdy analysis on a fund.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

michaeljmroger
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:54 am

Does Vanguard hide VUSXX?

Post by michaeljmroger » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:55 am

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

The Treasury Money Markey Fund isn’t listed in Vanguard’s complete fund list. Am I missing something? :confused

AlohaJoe
Posts: 4855
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: Saigon, Vietnam

Re: Does Vanguard hide VUSXX?

Post by AlohaJoe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:32 am

michaeljmroger wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:55 am
The Treasury Money Markey Fund isn’t listed in Vanguard’s complete fund list. Am I missing something? :confused
No, they don't "hide" it.

Yes, you are missing something.

It has a $50,000 minimum investment. You are looking at a list of funds that have minimums lower than that.

If you want to see the funds that have a $50,000 minimum then you'll need to change the filter.

123
Posts: 5147
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Does Vanguard hide VUSXX?

Post by 123 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:33 am

VUSXX has a minimum initial purchase of $50,000 so you need to adjust the filters on the page that lists their funds to include funds with a minimum of $50,000

There are a number of Vanguard funds that have a minimum of $50,000 many of them are Admiral classes of other funds.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

User avatar
jeffyscott
Posts: 8252
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Does Vanguard hide VUSXX?

Post by jeffyscott » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:45 am

They just have a poor setting for the default filter. The default should include all admiral and investor shares, but you have to change it to get that by clicking on "$50,000 and up" and then also clicking on "investor shares" and "admiral shares".
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

User avatar
Topic Author
305pelusa
Posts: 903
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:20 pm

Re: Does Vanguard hide VUSXX?

Post by 305pelusa » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:27 am

Haha had the same question:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=270842

Good answers in there. I'm not the absolute biggest fan of their User Interface

User avatar
rob
Posts: 3049
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Here

Re: Does Vanguard hide VUSXX?

Post by rob » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:47 am

Anyone noticed the opposite - when you add a new fund and search for the name, it also lists the 100MILLION minimum dollar funds.... Now while it would be great to deal with those funds... chances are they COULD in fact auto filter that list since they already know the dollar amt.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9372
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Does Vanguard hide VUSXX?

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:54 am

rob wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:47 am
Anyone noticed the opposite - when you add a new fund and search for the name, it also lists the 100MILLION minimum dollar funds.... Now while it would be great to deal with those funds... chances are they COULD in fact auto filter that list since they already know the dollar amt.
Many people is 403b (and perhaps 401k) plans have access to the Institutional classes, and sometimes *only* the institutional class in their core account. So if those weren't displayed easily, they'd then have problems figuring out what their choices are, or info about what they are actually holding.

The money put into those funds will be in the institutional class regardless of how little or how much is invested in the entire account or just in that fund.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

pdavi21
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Does Vanguard hide VUSXX?

Post by pdavi21 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 am

If you can't find it, you can't afford it.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

michaeljmroger
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:54 am

Re: Does Vanguard hide VUSXX?

Post by michaeljmroger » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:51 am

pdavi21 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 am
If you can't find it, you can't afford it.
I currently have close to $2M in this fund so I think I can afford it.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 57468
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: [Look for full list of Vanguard funds - Treasury MMF not listed]

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:13 pm

I merged michaeljmroger's thread into the on-going discussion. I also retitled the thread for clarity.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
jeffyscott
Posts: 8252
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Full list of Vanguard funds

Post by jeffyscott » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Kevin M wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:25 pm
It might be a cookie that is causing you to default to a particular version of the Vanguard website.
I think that is correct. When you first go to Vanguard.com and then personal investors it asks if you want that to be the default site that your browser will go to. But you can still go to the others, there is a drop down list when you click on "personal investors" at the top left of the site. That drop down list also has an option to "set site preference", which would let you change the cookie or whatever it is that causes it to go directly to the personal investor site.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

pdavi21
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Does Vanguard hide VUSXX?

Post by pdavi21 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:49 pm

michaeljmroger wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:51 am
pdavi21 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 am
If you can't find it, you can't afford it.
I currently have close to $2M in this fund so I think I can afford it.
Sorry, dumb joke.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

Post Reply