Vanguard website rejecting passwords, don't panic

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tarmangani

Vanguard website rejecting passwords, don't panic

Post by tarmangani » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Heads up: I and many other users can't log into Vanguard. Worse, it kept rejecting my username/password, as if everything else was normal, prompting me to think maybe I'd been hacked. Now that I changed the password, needlessly it seems, I still can't login but I'm at least getting 500 errors instead.

I stick up for the Vanguard website, but imo this is pretty unacceptable. If something's not working you don't give users the appearance that their username/pw combo is failing. You just don't.

Silk McCue

Re: Vanguard website rejecting passwords, don't panic

Post by Silk McCue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Saw this and just logged in via my iPad VG app. No issue.

Cheers

Offshore

Post by Offshore » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:54 pm

Safari browser is not working. Firefox will. Not sure of other browsers.

Offshore

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:57 pm

Chrome worked fine.
Avid user of forums on a variety of interests - financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair and more. Enjoy learning and passing on knowledge.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:02 pm

Logged in with no problems, nothing unusual.

2/11/2019 9:02 pm EST (= Tarmangani's post + 13 minutes); Mac OS X 10.14.2 (18C54) Apple Safari Version 12.0.2 (14606.3.4).

I'm not saying it didn't happen or that there isn't a problem, just reporting "it works for me."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:46 am

It was down tonight around 5:00 pm PST. It showed the generic site, but nothing personalized. Few hours later accounts popped right up

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:33 am

I've been having problems for about a week. First attempt on

https://investor.vanguard.com/home/

often fails. I'm then directed to a second page, which has a URL that begins:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/hnwnesc/nesc/LoginPage

Login from this second page is always successful.

<shrug>

celia

Post by celia » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:18 am

I just now logged in fine.
tarmangani wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:42 pm
Heads up: I and many other users can't log into Vanguard.
Who are these other users and how do you know they can't log in? Maybe you got "stuck" in the nightly updates for each account. Occasionally people report that all their accounts are 'empty' during the night runs.

Cheryl604

Post by Cheryl604 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:30 am

Maybe you got "stuck" in the nightly updates for each account. Occasionally people report that all their accounts are 'empty' during the night runs.
Oh my, does this really happen? I'm glad you mentioned it now because if I logged in and ever saw that, I think I might actually have a heart attack.

celia

Post by celia » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:42 am

Cheryl604 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:30 am
Maybe you got "stuck" in the nightly updates for each account. Occasionally people report that all their accounts are 'empty' during the night runs.
Oh my, does this really happen? I'm glad you mentioned it now because if I logged in and ever saw that, I think I might actually have a heart attack.
Yes, it has, but most people don't log in during the middle of the night.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=241677&p=3783622

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:02 am

Celia said: “Yes, it has, but most people don't log in during the middle of the night.”

I will take it one step further. People should only log into Vanguard’s system between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. eastern time. Even during the prime time, there is still no guarantee of access. :)

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:52 am

HueyLD wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:02 am
Celia said: “Yes, it has, but most people don't log in during the middle of the night.”

I will take it one step further. People should only log into Vanguard’s system between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. eastern time. Even during the prime time, there is still no guarantee of access. :)
Even worse, there used to be too-frequent "access" during "reasonable hours" (including while market open or early evening), and... some of the holdings just didn't exist.

Usually, the 403b (by far the largest account) had totally gone poof, leaving the much smaller IRAs.

Yes, an automatic sense of semi-panic the very first time.
That's one of the reasons we will never, even keep all money at one firm... just in case there is some software failure, for a longer time... (and that's not taking into account any actual fraudulent disappearing of assets...).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Topic Author
tarmangani

Post by tarmangani » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:23 am

celia wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:18 am
I just now logged in fine.
tarmangani wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:42 pm
Heads up: I and many other users can't log into Vanguard.
Who are these other users and how do you know they can't log in? Maybe you got "stuck" in the nightly updates for each account. Occasionally people report that all their accounts are 'empty' during the night runs.
I, two friends of mine, and folks posting here,

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/vanguard.com.html

I made this post to alert people that on VG it is apparently normal to have your username/pw combo rejected and not have anything seriously wrong.

snowox

Post by snowox » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:35 am

Shew...I just tried and worked fine.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:48 am

celia wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:42 am
Cheryl604 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:30 am
Yes, it has, but most people don't log in during the middle of the night.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=241677&p=3783622
Any other site that I use has a process that flips the page to a "Logins not available until 6am" page and does not allow database pulls of incorrect information to avoid showing incorrect information .

I suspect that the normal pages need to have no cache tags to prevent your browser from caching the old page.

If you see this, I'd suggest cleared by the browser cache then retry.

This seems like the web team needs to do a little looking at stack exchange or bring in someone who can diagnose this problem.

I understand having a time when the site was inaccessible during an uncontrollable event, but it is Unacceptable to
display incorrect information
have abnormal behavior on a daily basis without notifying user.