Any meal preppers? I need new dishes. [containers]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
guitarguy

Any meal preppers? I need new dishes. [containers]

Post by guitarguy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Hi all!

Looking for recommendations on tupperware/containers for bringing lunches to work. We have some Pyrex glassware that always seems to leak if there's anything even remotely juicy in there.

Main things I'm looking for:
  • set of 4-5 ideally
  • leak proof (I don't care if it's chili, a fajita bowl, or dry cereal...no leaks. :happy )
  • glass (microwaving plastic is a no-no...etc)
  • dishwasher safe (aren't they all pretty much these days)
  • reasonable size...don't need anything huge or too tiny
Anyone have anything they really like?

EDIT: apparently the title was pretty vague...so if you have any good meal prep recipes...I’m all in for those too! Just make sure they’re protein-packed. :mrgreen:
Last edited by guitarguy on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Re: Any meal preppers? I need new dishes.

Post by livesoft » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Have you thought about Mason/Ball jars? You would have to remove the metal screw lids for microwaving, but that should not be an issue.

They come in different sizes.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Ha. When I read the title, I thought you were looking for new recipes. Perhaps change the title to "containers"?
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:45 pm

I also tried the pyrex containers with frozen leftovers. They were expensive, don't work very well and the lids are terrible quality. I went back to the Rubbermaid plastic 2 cup containers for frozen leftovers. The glass jars would work if you are not freezing them. My wife often does this for breakfast blender smoothies and salads etc for lunches. You can also store/freeze/transport food in one container and microwave / eat from a different one.

ladycat

Post by ladycat » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Search the web for 'glass containers with snap lids'. You'll see a bunch of options. We use these types of containers for leftovers at home, and I'm sure they'd work well for taking lunch to work. I don't freeze in them (but I'm guessing you could), and I don't microwave the lids.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Get some mason jars and a pressure canner. You can make shelf stable chilis, stews, and soups that taste amazing. Pop the lid, heat in the jar or in your own bowl.
Mike Scott wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:45 pm
The glass jars would work if you are not freezing them.
You can definitely freeze mason jars if you don't fill them too full and freeze them on their sides. There is a faint line near the top that people call the "freeze fill line" I think its just a mark from the glass mold but they don't break if you fill to that line.

david

Post by david » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:21 pm

ladycat wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:56 pm
Search the web for 'glass containers with snap lids'. You'll see a bunch of options. We use these types of containers for leftovers at home, and I'm sure they'd work well for taking lunch to work. I don't freeze in them (but I'm guessing you could), and I don't microwave the lids.
This. Snapware glass containers and plastic tops is what we use.
We bought ours from Costco when they went on sale.
There is a similar set at IKEA, that has interchangable tops (plastic, bamboo, etc) that can look pretty as well.
Last edited by david on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:28 pm

guitarguy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:05 pm
glass (microwaving plastic is a no-no...etc)
Wait... what? I have been microwaving what I think are plastic tupperware for a while.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:29 pm

Another vote for the glass type with snapping lids on all sides. I picked up a set from Amazon that have 3 compartments, as well some that are a single compartment. They have worked quite well, soup, sauce etc - nothing has leaking. I typically put them in my bag with my laptop while walking into the office.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:31 pm

I am the king of "meal preppers" as I prepare 95% of the food for myself and my family of 4 each week on Sunday mornings. I've never felt the need for something anymore complex than basic plastic tupperware (which we get at the dollar store). I also use mason jars for overnight oats. We don't regularly freeze prepared food though.

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:33 pm

david wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:21 pm
ladycat wrote:
We bought our from Costco when they went on sale.
There is a similar set at IKEA, that has interchangable tops (plastic, bamboo, etc) that can look pretty as well.
+1 as many other recommend. Snapware on glass at Costco.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Clever_Username wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:28 pm
guitarguy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:05 pm
glass (microwaving plastic is a no-no...etc)
Wait... what? I have been microwaving what I think are plastic tupperware for a while.
It's a personal call. Here's Harvard Health on the topic.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:01 pm

A couple of thoughts...

First, not all plastic is the same. Some are not safe to microwave, and some are fine.

Second: Americas Test Kitchen did a pretty thorough testing of both plastic and glass storage containers, and judged them according to leaking and microwave suitable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WprgFWLgguM

Edit to add: We have the Rubbermaid Brilliance (the plastic ones that came out on top in the ATK testing) and like them so far. We've been using them for about 4 months. They don't leak, don't stain, and we've used them in the microwave many times.

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 pm

I keep in the office a very large china bowl (like you find in Chinese/Vietnamese restaurants for noodles.

I pour in my can of Amy's soup (love the Thai version, or Chicken Noodle, or Lentil)---and microwave it.

I also keep cloth napkins and flatware (not plastic) at the office. That way, the only thing I throw away is the can (well, recycle anyway).
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

celia

Post by celia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:25 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:32 pm
Ha. When I read the title, I thought you were looking for new recipes. Perhaps change the title to "containers"?
When I read the title, I thought this was going to be about long term food storage, such as storing for power outages, earthquakes, or doomsday.

There are some glass containers that have pliable (like tupperware) lids you can take off when microwaving. Look in the lunch supplies/storage section of larger markets or stores like Target & WalMart.

Topic Author
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:34 pm

Sounds like glass with snap lids is a good way to go...I will look into those!

Thanks all!!!

Topic Author
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:35 pm

celia wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:25 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
When I read the title, I thought this was going to be about long term food storage, such as storing for power outages, earthquakes, or doomsday.
Ha...I’m cool with recipes or whatever you might do to prepare for doomsday too! :P

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:48 pm

Glasslock is great, but heavy if you’re walking to work with several of them.

You can also get microwave safe takeout containers, like your favorite restaurant uses, on Amazon for a few cents apiece. Throw them in the dishwasher and reuse until the lid doesn’t fit anymore, throw away, and start fresh. The main advantage is that if your office manager throws away everyone’s expensive tupperware in a fit of refrigerator cleaning, you don’t really care.

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:17 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
+1
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

Hukedonfonix4me

Post by Hukedonfonix4me » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:58 pm

ray.james wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:33 pm
david wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:21 pm
ladycat wrote:
We bought our from Costco when they went on sale.
+1 as many other recommend. Snapware on glass at Costco.
+1 this is what we use. Snapware from Costco. Seems to go on sale 3-4 times per year. This stuff is great. Used as Christmas gifts for family when they were on sale last December.
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." | -The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

leeks

Post by leeks » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:27 pm

We have had these for years, satisfied:
Rubbermaid Easy Find Lids Glass Food Storage Containers
such as:
https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Stora ... B00DRB9V54

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:50 pm

victw

Post by victw » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:05 pm

I bought these for soups
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TJ ... UTF8&psc=1

but I can't confirm on leak proofedness. I carry them up right in a padded 6 pack container.

I use the glasslocks for non soupy - but liquidy items.

Vic