Investing in Vanguard funds via Fidelity

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
bogleface99

Investing in Vanguard funds via Fidelity

Post by bogleface99 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:21 am

I'm concerned about all the customer service complaints I've been reading regarding Vanguard. Is there a catch to investing in Vanguard funds via Fidelity? Any extra fees etc.? I'm assuming I'd be using Fidelity customer service and not Vanguard? Thanks.

livesoft

Re: Investing in Vanguard funds via Fidelity

Post by livesoft » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:23 am

Yes, there are many extra fees. See fidelity.com for more information. That will help you decide if you like their customer service and web site, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:32 am

bogleface99 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:21 am
I'm concerned about all the customer service complaints I've been reading regarding Vanguard. Is there a catch to investing in Vanguard funds via Fidelity? Any extra fees etc.? I'm assuming I'd be using Fidelity customer service and not Vanguard? Thanks.
The least expensive way to purchase Vanguard funds at Fidelity is with ETF's. $4.95 per trade, set them up for DRIP's (which is free). If you buy the actual mutual fund, Fidelity charges $75 per purchase. The ETF's have admiral pricing, so that's the way to go. The other option is to buy the equivalent Fidelity funds (no trading charge) or the equivalent Blackrock iShares ETF's (no trading charge).

Either way, it can all be done at Fidelity. If you are buying large amounts (say $10K - $100K), the $4.95 trading commission for a Vanguard ETF is fairly inconsequential over the life of your investment.

Yes, it would all be done through Fidelity in terms of customer service - which is very, very good.

Nothing wrong with holding Vanguard funds outside of a Vanguard account. It's pretty normal - especially in the 401k/403b/457 world of retirement investing. We own the majority of our Vanguard investments at TIAA, VALIC, and Fidelity.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:14 am

If you use Fido to buy Vanguard the ETFs are the way to go. I am pretty sure you can not buy Admiral shares from Fido.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:17 am

If you fund your Fidelity account with at least $50k, you should get 300 or more free ETF trades that expire in 2 years (per account).

Ditchwitch

Post by Ditchwitch » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:41 am

I have several Fidelity accounts and buy both Fidelity's commission free iShares as well as Vanguard ETFs ($4.95 per trade)...ETFs are the most cost effective way to buy Vanguard outside a Vanguard account unless you trade very frequently. Buying Vanguard funds at Fidelity initially costs $75. I remember someone mentioned if you do monthly purchases it might be free thereafter with Fidelity but you should double check that with Fidelity for sure.
“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” | ― Albert Einstein

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:41 am

For awhile you could make money transferring Vanguard funds into Fidelity rather than buying them there. I am not sure what the current bonus structure for taxable and tax preferred accounts is at Fidelity. I know the airline miles bonuses are gone. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is no cost to sell mutual funds at Fidelity. Also not all Admiral funds can't be held, just Admiral index funds (big discussion there).

Matas

Post by Matas » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:27 pm

I have Vanguard ETFs in my Fidelity accounts. Also, Fidelity has a physical office about 3 miles from my work. On the few occasions I've needed/wanted to go there, the service has been excellent. Nothing at all against Vanguard, just my experience.

AllieTB1323

Post by AllieTB1323 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:16 pm

We have a Fido account and buy and hold VG ETFs in our taxable account. The DW moved a her tIRA over to Fido which holds a slug Wellington and there has been zero problems. Her quarterly reinvested dividends show up at the same time Vanguard distributes the proceeds. Other than the trade fee, now at $4.95, there haven't been extra fees or snafus caused by the VG products.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:19 pm

Matas wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:27 pm
I have Vanguard ETFs in my Fidelity accounts.
I think Vanguard would say that's a great approach and they'd be quite happy if millions of additional retail investors did the same. The expense of thousands of customer service reps is a big drag on efficiency. You might need to pay for a couple rounds of drinks to get someone to say it, though.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:56 pm

stan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:19 pm
Matas wrote:
I think Vanguard would say that's a great approach and they'd be quite happy if millions of additional retail investors did the same. The expense of thousands of customer service reps is a big drag on efficiency. You might need to pay for a couple rounds of drinks to get someone to say it, though.
Actually, it might be VG's double-secret business plan. :wink:
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:18 pm

I just sold some Vanguard admiral share mutual fund holdings from my Vanguard taxable account and transferred the money into two Vanguard Roth IRAs. This required only a single transaction on Vanguard's website, which I was able to do while the market was closed. It's things like this that cause me to keep my Vanguard account open (in addition to my Fidelity account) despite receiving some not-so-great customer service.

While I still use ETFs for certain things, I find them inconvenient, even though I got started in investing by trading stocks and ETFs. If you don't like ETFs and you don't like Vanguard customer service but you do like Vanguard funds, there will be a trade-off.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?

VelvetMoon

Post by VelvetMoon » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:42 pm

This topic interests me, as I am considering investing in Vanguard's VTI (Vanguard Total Stock Market) ETF through my Fidelity account. Many people suggest to only invest in Vanguard at Vanguard, and I totally get that. But I don't think I want ITOT, and I've heard bad things about Vanguard's customer service, so I'm not entirely sure I want to invest a large amount of money directly with Vanguard and worry I'll have to deal with inadequate customer service. So, buying VTI through Fidelity, on the surface at least, seems like a win-win (especially since the $4.95 fee wouldn't hurt me much because I plan to do lump sum investing once per year).

Anyway, my one question is this:

In talking to Fidelity's customer service, they told me that Vanguard funds are available through Fidelity because both Fidelity and Vanguard came to an agreement on the available funds and the costs/fees associated with them. But my question is this...what would happen if, hypothetically, Vanguard or Fidelity decided to end this agreement? Meaning, if either Vanguard didn't want to offer their funds through Fidelity, or Fidelity no longer wanted to allow its customers to invest in Vanguard funds...what would happen to all the investments in Vanguard funds that were made through Fidelity by Fidelity customers?

I have no idea if this can even legitimately be answered, as its purely speculative. But I'm just curious--if 15 years from now this agreement was no longer honored or it was ended mutually by both parties/companies, what would happen to all the money and shares I invested in the Vanguard fund through Fidelity?

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:54 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:23 am
Yes, there are many extra fees.
If I buy a VG ETF, isn't there just the one fee? (i.e. $4.95 per trade)
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

Theoretical

Post by Theoretical » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:30 pm

If you're ok with buying investor shares, you can pay the 1 time fee and then do automatic investments for $5/trade.

gostars

Post by gostars » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:47 pm

VelvetMoon wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:42 pm
This topic interests me, as I am considering investing in Vanguard's VTI (Vanguard Total Stock Market) ETF through my Fidelity account. Many people suggest to only invest in Vanguard at Vanguard, and I totally get that. But I don't think I want ITOT, and I've heard bad things about Vanguard's customer service, so I'm not entirely sure I want to invest a large amount of money directly with Vanguard and worry I'll have to deal with inadequate customer service. So, buying VTI through Fidelity, on the surface at least, seems like a win-win (especially since the $4.95 fee wouldn't hurt me much because I plan to do lump sum investing once per year).

In talking to Fidelity's customer service, they told me that Vanguard funds are available through Fidelity because both Fidelity and Vanguard came to an agreement on the available funds and the costs/fees associated with them. But my question is this...what would happen if, hypothetically, Vanguard or Fidelity decided to end this agreement? Meaning, if either Vanguard didn't want to offer their funds through Fidelity, or Fidelity no longer wanted to allow its customers to invest in Vanguard funds...what would happen to all the investments in Vanguard funds that were made through Fidelity by Fidelity customers?

I have no idea if this can even legitimately be answered, as its purely speculative. But I'm just curious--if 15 years from now this agreement was no longer honored or it was ended mutually by both parties/companies, what would happen to all the money and shares I invested in the Vanguard fund through Fidelity?
For ETFs, this isn't really a thing, because those are bought and sold on the open market, and the company who operates the ETF has no way to limit who buys and sells the fund or where they do it from.

For mutual funds, the only real change would be that you might not be able to purchase new shares, either separately or as part of dividend reinvestment. Look at how Vanguard Admiral Shares work now. Retail investors can normally only buy them at Vanguard, but they can be transferred to any brokerage that will accept them. Typically investors can reinvest dividends to pick up more shares, but cannot otherwise purchase more. Sales are always allowed.

Curious why you wouldn't want ITOT. It's essentially indistinguishable from VTI, except you save a few bucks on commission, and odds are you end up with a bit less uninvested cash since the share price is lower.

bayview

Post by bayview » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:23 am

TimeRunner wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:56 pm
stan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:19 pm
Matas wrote:
Actually, it might be VG's double-secret business plan. :wink:
Suddenly, everything becomes clear!! :shock:
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

lisaneedsbraces

Post by lisaneedsbraces » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:40 am

Admiral shares can now be held at Fidelity. There is still a $75 fee to purchase new shares, but there is no charge to redeem. For those in the decumulation phase, holding these funds at Fidelity could be an option.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:05 am

Looks like I can enter VTSAX (total market) and VMMXX (prime MM) in the trade ticket at Fidelity now, both show $2,500 minimums (which might be a mistake). I haven't clicked the buy button to see what fees Fidelity will try to add. Entering VMFXX (gov MM) still returns the "this is an advisor fund only" error message.

BL

Post by BL » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:16 am

I guess we satisfied customers have no reason to write about Vanguard. So you mostly hear the complaints.

I am a satisfied customer, but if I weren't I would move to F or elsewhere at no cost. (V doesn't charge to close accounts, AFAIK.) I wouldn't pay to buy V funds but ETFs are not so bad, especially if you bunch them to reduce the number of purchases.

Cash

Post by Cash » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:16 pm

arf30 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:05 am
Looks like I can enter VTSAX (total market) and VMMXX (prime MM) in the trade ticket at Fidelity now, both show $2,500 minimums (which might be a mistake). I haven't clicked the buy button to see what fees Fidelity will try to add. Entering VMFXX (gov MM) still returns the "this is an advisor fund only" error message.
VTSAX still said advisor only when I tried to enter a purchase a couple of hours ago.

Theoretical

Post by Theoretical » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:05 am

lisaneedsbraces wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:40 am
Admiral shares can now be held at Fidelity. There is still a $75 fee to purchase new shares, but there is no charge to redeem. For those in the decumulation phase, holding these funds at Fidelity could be an option.
And if you enroll in the automatic investments, you can invest up to monthly and as little as once per year for $5/trade.

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:18 am

Still says advisor accounts only for me as well.

fennewaldaj

Post by fennewaldaj » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:19 am

Theoretical wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:05 am
lisaneedsbraces wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:40 am
And if you enroll in the automatic investments, you can invest up to monthly and as little as once per year for $5/trade.
At least in my 403b brokerage link account there are no fees for auto investments. For things that fidelity has index funds for it makes more sense to use their funds. But they don't have indexes for Small cap value, mid cap value, international small ect. Also Vanguards HY bond fund is enough cheaper than fidelity's that it could be worth paying the fee for.

Cash

Post by Cash » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:54 pm

Cash wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:16 pm
arf30 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:05 am
VTSAX still said advisor only when I tried to enter a purchase a couple of hours ago.
Update: It appears I can now purchase VTSAX with the $75 fee.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:42 pm

VelvetMoon wrote:

Out of curiosity, what about ITOT don’t you like?

GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:33 pm

I have a Vanguard fund in my Fidelity IRA. I paid $75 to add it but is was a pretty good chunk and I'm not adding to it so I didn't mind that.
Just to clarify, does Fidelity charge a fee to redeem Vanguard mutual funds? I'll be starting RMDs in about 3 years so this is relevant to me.

pward

Post by pward » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:25 pm

There's no need to stick to vanguard funds at Fidelity. Fidelity has great fund options as well, and iShares ETF's are commission free. Between both Fidelity and iShares you have everything comparable to Vanguard and then some.

Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:51 pm

GaryA505 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:33 pm
I have a Vanguard fund in my Fidelity IRA. I paid $75 to add it but is was a pretty good chunk and I'm not adding to it so I didn't mind that.
Just to clarify, does Fidelity charge a fee to redeem Vanguard mutual funds? I'll be starting RMDs in about 3 years so this is relevant to me.
I believe it's $75 for purchase AND redemption. If its a one time deal, maybe no big deal. If its over multiple withdrawls, you might consider the Fido equivalent if available as they have many excellent options that are lower cost then Vanguard. Which fund do you have at Vanguard? Is it in taxable account? If so, capital gains could be issue as well.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:54 pm

You will only be charged a transaction fee when you buy a FundsNetwork TF fund, not when you sell one.
https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/a ... funds/fees
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:08 pm

jeffyscott wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:54 pm
You will only be charged a transaction fee when you buy a FundsNetwork TF fund, not when you sell one.
https://www.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/a ... funds/fees
You are correct. I was looking at the wrong information. Thanks.
“You only find out who is swimming naked when the tide goes out.“ — Warren Buffett

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:41 am

Carlsonwebber has a question which I've moved into a new thread. See: [Help with portfolio: Vanguard funds via Fidelity]
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

rascott

Post by rascott » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:43 am

VelvetMoon wrote:

Why don't you want ITOT?

I find this thread funny....brand loyalty is something. They are identical products.....any discussion of difference is purely theoretical, not practical. Have no idea why someone would pay a commission for one vs the other.

OnLevel

Post by OnLevel » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:04 am

rascott wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:43 am

Why don't you want ITOT?

I find this thread funny....brand loyalty is something. They are identical products.....any discussion of difference is purely theoretical, not practical. Have no idea why someone would pay a commission for one vs the other.
Me too. I don't see the point in paying extra to hold VG funds with Fidelity, when Fidelity clearly offers equivalent alternatives that don't cost extra.

Fryxell

Post by Fryxell » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:09 pm

Why don't you want ITOT?

Even if they track the same index they may not produce identical results.

1. Companies like Vanguard and BlackRock are very good at tracking their indexes, whereas the record of companies like Schwab is not as good.

2. They also differ regarding securities lending. Vanguard is less aggressive in this area and returns more of such revenue to its funds.

3. They can also differ on tax efficiency. For instance, VIOV and SLYV track the same index, but SLYV has distributed much more in capital gains.

4. Sometimes fund management companies decide to change indexes, expense ratios, or liquidate the fund or ETF. This can be a problem for investments. Vanguard has never closed an ETF and only increases fees if the fund actually got more expensive to manage.

So to sum up, the fund management company matters. Its competence reputability and are important considerations, especially for taxable investments.

fennewaldaj

Post by fennewaldaj » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:20 am

pward wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:25 pm
There's no need to stick to vanguard funds at Fidelity. Fidelity has great fund options as well, and iShares ETF's are commission free. Between both Fidelity and iShares you have everything comparable to Vanguard and then some.
For those that have access to a fidelity brokerage link account though workplace retirement these plans often do not allow etfs. Popular options with some bogleheads that fidelity doesn't have in index form are international small cap and until recently small and mid value (and these are in the not popular with bogleheads that tilt Russel indexes). Vanguards international small cap fund is currently not purchasable at fidelity as the investor version is now closed and the admiral version has not appeared. I have a decent sized position in that fund in my fidelity brokerage link and I am not sure if it is going to be liquidated.

welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:49 am

bogleface99 wrote:
Aside from Vanguard's Money Markets, there is very little that fidelity doesnt offer through either their own index funds or ETFs that can't replace Vanguard funds.

Many of the Fidelity index funds are cheaper than Vanguard's...especially things such as the Treasury Index funds. They are less than half the cost at Fidelity.

When at Fidelity buy Fidelity funds. When at Vanguard buy theirs. No reason to pay a trading fee.
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:25 am

My employer 401K is administered by Fidelity. We have a self-directed option via BrokerageLink which allows me to specify my own investment options. Generally I invest in Fidelity funds in this account, and have found equivalent or less expensive options for an indexing portfolio, across most factors/asset classes.

I do have a couple Vanguard funds in my Fidelity brokeragelink (ex. VISVX, small-cap value index), as at the time, there was no other inexpensive mutual fund offering for that asset class.... until now. On disadvantage to using a Vanguard fund, is you need to pay an initial 75 dollar commission for the initial purchase -- but subsequent additions via payroll deduction are free.

I was just notified from Fidelity that VISVX is closed to new investors. Vanguard's website confirmed this .. they are moving people to the Admiral shares version (VSIAX).

Lucky for me... Fidelity just created their own mutual fund for small-cap value FISVX with .05 expense ratio.

Cash

Post by Cash » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:07 pm

Has anyone ever tried calling Fidelity to see if they can get access to “advisor only” funds? VTWAX is still not available to retail investors. Yes, I know I can purchase VT for free.

pyld76

Post by pyld76 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:13 am

Cash wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:07 pm
Has anyone ever tried calling Fidelity to see if they can get access to “advisor only” funds? VTWAX is still not available to retail investors. Yes, I know I can purchase VT for free.
You answered your own question.

In a zero commission world, buy the ETF and move on.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:27 am

bogleface99 wrote:
bogleface99:

I have been a Vanguard customer since 1986. I am very happy with them, including their customer service (which I rarely use).

The September 2016 issue of Consumer Reports rated traditional investment companies on the services they provide. "A total of 118,662 ratings from small investors and 45,447 ratings from large investors.-- Rating were based on: Investment Returns, Met Goals, Customer Service, Advice and Online Reports. Vanguard's overall company rating was #1 for both small investors (67 companies rated), and large investors (31 companies rated)."

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Our low costs usually mean that we nicely outpace our peers in annual returns."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle