Check for abandoned property -- worked twice for me

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
McCharley

Check for abandoned property -- worked twice for me

Post by McCharley » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:35 pm

States will hold abandoned property but don't make much of an effort to return it. They do typically have a searchable database online, though. Twice I have hit pay dirt looking at old places I lived. Twenty five years ago I lived in California and missed a final paycheck from an employer. I found it on the state website and after sending them a xerox of my old license (now I know why I saved it) they sent me the check -- over $300!

Then just recently my sister did a search in Massachusetts. Apparently my parents abandoned a savings box back in the seventies, and a $25 savings bond my grandfather gave me in 1974 was in it. It is worth $129!

I know the best thing would be to not lose things in the first place. :oops: It's easy to lose stuff, though, and only recently has it become easy to find it again. I lost these things before the internet. Good Luck -- and post your winnings here! :beer

(A note if you try this -- there are a lot of dodgy companies that try to find people owed assets and charge them to reunite. Make sure you are on the state web site -- google the state's name and abandoned property.)

ieee488

Re: Check for abandoned property -- worked twice for me

Post by ieee488 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:02 pm

I did this one time. Didn't find anything, but worth another try.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:27 pm

Thanks! I hit paydirt for myself and my Dad. I'm not sure what will happen, but I have the claim forms printed and ready to go. Pennsylvania Treasury - Unclaimed Property

My Dad's claim might be for a paycheck, about 7 years old.

I have 2 claims - one is for an insurance claim reimbursement, about 14 years old. The second is a possible reimbursement for jury duty, 12 years ago.I turned that check into my employer, as I get full pay for jury duty. I was wondering what they did with those checks.

Update 2/11/19: The above link is broken. The new link is Pennsylvania Treasury - Unclaimed property
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

stilts1007

Post by stilts1007 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:47 pm

I found an old paycheck on there for me. Only a couple hundred dollars, but I'll take it. Of course, from that point I spent the next several hours on the Illinois website, looking up everyone I could think of. Found 2 friends with unclaimed property too. Love being the bearer of good news!

https://icash.illinois.gov/

tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:08 pm

I did this last year and got an old insurance refund sent to me--about $170. Free money! :) I found several different databases to check.
It's Good To Be A Boglehead

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:07 pm

I tried myself and my family. Nothing.

Where is my long gone super wealthy aunt's inheritance money? :(

lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:13 pm

my wife found stuff for several family members, the last was about $100 for my step-dad...some account abandoned by his dad years ago

Blues

Post by Blues » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:17 pm

It's funny that the day after I did a search for the very first time, (based upon reading this thread), my wife got a phone call from her sister (who does not visit this site) who informed her that she was sending her a check from proceeds obtained via such a search.

Strange coincidence...and we'll happily take the money. :wink:
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

sport

Post by sport » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:19 pm

stilts1007 wrote:I found an old paycheck on there for me. Only a couple hundred dollars, but I'll take it. Of course, from that point I spent the next several hours on the Illinois website, looking up everyone I could think of. Found 2 friends with unclaimed property too. Love being the bearer of good news!
Be careful with looking up unclaimed property for others. I did this once, and told the person what I found. I expected them to thank me. Instead, they were unhappy that I was "snooping" into their affairs.
Jeff

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:20 pm

What if you no longer live in the area where the abandoned property is located?
Gordon

mikep

Post by mikep » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:26 pm

I found $1.14.. I remember finding this last time, followed up and got nowhere. I'd spend almost half of it mailing the form in anyway. I'll let my estate/heirs worry about it. :)

I second the suggestion to stay out of others info. I did that once and got a strange reaction, I just searched my wife's maiden name and turned up an uncle's stuff. Now I see something again for him.. guess I'll just let it sit there this time.
Last edited by mikep on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blues

Post by Blues » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:27 pm

I should have noted, in light of a prior post, that in the case involving my wife and her sister the proceeds were from an insurance matter involving my late mother-in-law. No snooping involved...that said, when I performed my own search under my surname I did notice a couple of listings involving a first cousin of mine (who is a bit of a scammer) but decided it would be best if he found out about those on his own. :wink:
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

momar

Post by momar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:41 pm

gkaplan wrote:What if you no longer live in the area where the abandoned property is located?
You can claim it. I live in CA and claimed a paycheck from almost 15 years ago in PA a few months back. It's all done by regular mail.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep

rag_g

Post by rag_g » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:34 pm

Thanks for the tip.. FYI the below website searches all the states in one go..

http://www.missingmoney.com/

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:37 pm

momar wrote:
gkaplan wrote:What if you no longer live in the area where the abandoned property is located?
You can claim it. I live in CA and claimed a paycheck from almost 15 years ago in PA a few months back. It's all done by regular mail.

In my case, however, I think the abandoned property might be rolls of silver quarters in a safe deposit box. They're going to ship them to me?
Gordon

Skiandswim

Post by Skiandswim » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Many thanks - I was able to find an unclaimed paycheck for my mother in CT. Never would have thought to look :D

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks! Found ~$200 for myself, but a few thousand for my deceased relatives.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Last September here in the US, as part of my family history, I checked into the whereabouts of long-lost relatives in Australia. A grandfather had skipped town in 1912. Via Google I found that an aunt and a nephew had forgotten about a $4,000 bank account in South Australia. I did not contact them, they would not know that I exist anyway.

pinecrest

Post by pinecrest » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:05 pm

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SnapShots

Post by SnapShots » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:59 am

One of our state's newspaper publishes unclaimed property once a year. I recovered around $300 for my mother from an over payment to an insurance policy, which belonged to my deceased sister. My sister's will gave all her property to my mother and I was able to claim this overpayment for my mother.
the best decision many times is the hardest to do

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:29 am

Hmm... nothing for me, but found approx. $50 in my parents' name (sent it to them) and another $50 in my sister's name (same).
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

desertbandit442

Post by desertbandit442 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:38 am

pinecrest wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:Thanks! Found ~$200 for myself, but a few thousand for my deceased relatives.
ThatGuy, I'm wondering if you (or anyone else) has acted on the situation of deceased relatives. The form for California just has a place to put in your own name. Not a place to delineate the lines of succession. I could attach a family tree showing all the deceased relatives before us, but I'm missing the SSN for the actual person named on the property! (The closest I come is the SSN of his deceased sister.)

I found a couple of hundred from my deceased Grandmother in CT. My Dad and Mom had already passed. I called the state office and they provided me guidance of what I needed to submit for the claim. It all worked out after I sent the required information, I just don't remember what they wanted me to send. I would call the state office and see how to handle the claim.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:44 am

pinecrest wrote:
ThatGuy, I'm wondering if you (or anyone else) has acted on the situation of deceased relatives. The form for California just has a place to put in your own name. Not a place to delineate the lines of succession.
I found my deceased uncle's name a few years after his death. I notified my aunt, who was the executor, and she found out it would take a substantial effort to open the estate back up, provide proof of death and executor rights to the other state, collect the money and disburse to nine heirs. In the end, she decided to not pursue it. As one of the heirs, I understood since it would take a fair amount of work and I would have ended up with less than $100.
Last edited by deanbrew on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Tortoise

Post by Tortoise » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks for the reminder. I check this about once every 5 years for myself and relatives. Of course, nothing for me, but over $1000 each for 2 out of 3 brothers. The third brother had about $20 being held. Alerted all three.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest." --Mark Twain

Imperabo

Post by Imperabo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks.

Found over $300 for my wife (overpayment of insurance and old paycheck) and $4 for myself.

pinecrest

Post by pinecrest » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:26 pm

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:33 pm

For one family member, I found an old utility deposit that was being returned (low three digits). I mailed the form for him (disabled senior citizen).
For myself, I found enough for a pizza and pop from some rebate. $till mine, so I mailed the form in.

It is worth it to check.

I also used www.missingmoney.com for my search.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:14 pm

pinecrest wrote: Thanks for the warning. Our case is a little bit different so I'm hoping there will be fewer obstacles. My grandmother's brother willed the bank account to my grandmother, but my grandmother refused to accept it (long story). Since she is now passed, my mother, the only heir, is available to collect it. Only forseeable problem is the lack of documentation on him, though we do have SSN and related documents on the grandmother. I'll take desertbandit's suggestion and call the state and see how this can be resolved.
I imagine each state is a little different. The state my uncle lived in (CT) wanted an original death certificate from the county, plus the distribution would have been issued nine ways, which entailed some additional legal and tax work, from what I'm told. We considered claiming it and distributing it without notifying the attorney, but didn't know if CT would issue some sort of tax form that would have to be handled. The lesson is to search while you're still alive and can claim it.

FWIW, I found $60 or so in my son's name in a different state, and it was easy to collect.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:45 pm

I found a undisclosed amount for a deceased relative. Interesting. Thanks for the tip.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Worked for me too, a few years ago. Got back a few hundred bucks from a mortgage tax/insurance escrow refund from a property I had sold about 7 years prior. For some unknown reason it never got forwarded on to my new address, and I guess I was too busy moving to think of it at the time.

GDBryan

Post by GDBryan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 pm

Thank you! I just checked and found $73 from BoA (who else). They had the right name, address and zip code, but the wrong city. Sent in the form - let's see.
Checked family, but no luck for them.

Scooter57

Post by Scooter57 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:36 pm

I sent in a claim with all the required documentation to the state of Texas after locating a few shares of stock from an old employee plan that got lost in a move 29 years ago. That was several months ago, but I never got any reply. I have proof of mailing. Do these claims take months to settle or do I have to call up and fuss about it?

pinecrest

Post by pinecrest » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:39 am

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

desertbandit442

Post by desertbandit442 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:28 am

Scooter57 wrote:I sent in a claim with all the required documentation to the state of Texas after locating a few shares of stock from an old employee plan that got lost in a move 29 years ago. That was several months ago, but I never got any reply. I have proof of mailing. Do these claims take months to settle or do I have to call up and fuss about it?
I've worked claims in CT, VA, and SC; they took about 4-6 weeks to settle. Since TX is so big, might take longer--but I would call to check on and see if they received your claim.

LeyEily

Post by LeyEily » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:14 pm

Definitely going to look into this. Congrats to everyone who got some money!

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:49 pm

Old thread, but I'm glad to have found it.

I was trying to close a TD bank account after receiving an abandoned property warning, a letter which I believe is legit for many reasons. The check may have been lost in the mail. If I'm unable to resolve things at a bank branch, I think I'll be trying that missing money link in the not too distant future.
rag_g wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:34 pm

PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:47 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:27 pm
Thanks! I hit paydirt for myself and my Dad. I'm not sure what will happen, but I have the claim forms printed and ready to go. Pennsylvania Treasury - Unclaimed Property

My Dad's claim might be for a paycheck, about 7 years old.

I have 2 claims - one is for an insurance claim reimbursement, about 14 years old. The second is a possible reimbursement for jury duty, 12 years ago.I turned that check into my employer, as I get full pay for jury duty. I was wondering what they did with those checks.
LadyGeek. Thanks for the link. But I think you might have lost a hyphen in the link. It doesn't currently work as you have it in your posting. I did find the actual website and they do not have any money for me.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:03 pm

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:22 pm

I first heard of this when I got a letter from a company offering to get me my money. I did a little research and found how to contact the state website directly. I am embarrassed to admit there were two accounts I had lost track of. One was a small amount of stock that had gone private. The other was for a bond I had lost track of when I moved that was with a brokerage house. That one was for 10,000 dollars! I sent in the form and got both sums in a few months. Later, I checked my deceased mothers estate. They was a small refund of a car insurance premium. The paperwork was expensive, so I never bothered with that one. The 10000 felt like a windfall, but in reality, it was stupid to have lost track of it in the first place.

Snuffycuts99

Post by Snuffycuts99 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:24 pm

I was intrigued by this and figured I'd check it out. Sure enough, found that my wife had an unclaimed insurance check from five years ago. I just sent in the paperwork for it. I'm interested to see how long it takes. I'm assuming they just send the original check? Or is a new one issued? If it's the original, won't there be a problem depositing a 5 year old check? I thought that after 6 months, the issuer of a check did not have to honor it.

OpattyD

Post by OpattyD » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:41 pm

I just checked a few websites and found some abandoned property for close family. Are you comfortable entering your SSN, address, phone numbers, etc.? It doesn't seem to be an official government website.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 pm

linenfort wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:49 pm
Old thread, but I'm glad to have found it.

I was trying to close a TD bank account after receiving an abandoned property warning, a letter which I believe is legit for many reasons. The check may have been lost in the mail. If I'm unable to resolve things at a bank branch, I think I'll be trying that missing money link in the not too distant future.
rag_g wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:34 pm

Thank you for the link. I get $88.00 in missing property.

SandysDad

Post by SandysDad » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:31 pm

I did it a few years ago and got some extra money from an old real estate settlement.

This is one of those things that should be on everyone’s once a year calendar.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:23 am

I ran this search a few years ago after reading one of these threads, although I did not expect to find anything. And you know what, I did not find anything (for me nor my DW). I know where my money is and what I am owed, so honestly I did not expect to find missing assets I had forgotten about. Frankly, I am surprised that so many Booglehead's find lost money running these searches. Isn't part of being a Booglehead being meticulous about your money?
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:26 am

I found ~$10 from my maternal grandmother on Illinois' site but it was too big of a pain to collect, I don't have death certificates anymore and it would cost more than $10 to get one so it will probably be there forever.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:32 am

OpattyD wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:41 pm
I just checked a few websites and found some abandoned property for close family. Are you comfortable entering your SSN, address, phone numbers, etc.? It doesn't seem to be an official government website.
Each state has an official website. Make sure you are using the correct site.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:37 am

I submitted two weeks ago for a $50 refund from T Mobile that somehow could not find its way to my current address, despite that being the address on the unclaimed property site. Check arrived today. I live in Minnesota, check was from the state.

susa

Post by susa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:40 am

As some reported, we also found hospital refunds for parents but no way to provide death certificates as they died outside USA

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 am

MikeG62 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:23 am
I ran this search a few years ago after reading one of these threads, although I did not expect to find anything. And you know what, I did not find anything (for me nor my DW). I know where my money is and what I am owed, so honestly I did not expect to find missing assets I had forgotten about. Frankly, I am surprised that so many Booglehead's find lost money running these searches. Isn't part of being a Booglehead being meticulous about your money?
This ^^^

Sometimes though funds aren't forgotten, they are unknown, like a refund for a reason you did not know of. We've never had anything either, but found some that a relative had. In fairness, compared to that relative's networth the funds were paltry.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:16 am

Just checked and found $33 for Mom. So, thanks.
Used to check regularly. But, stopped a few years ago when nothing showed up.