Upgrading to Admiral Funds - Vanguard Brokerage Account

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Investing.Newbie

Upgrading to Admiral Funds - Vanguard Brokerage Account

Post by Investing.Newbie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:17 pm

Hey Guys

I noticed I'm eligible to upgrade to Vanguard Admiral Funds (Total International Stock Index) in my brokerage account. Will this conversion trigger any taxes or fees ? or is it totally free ?
Thanks

retiredjg

Re: Upgrading to Admiral Funds - Vanguard Brokerage Account

Post by retiredjg » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:37 pm

No fees. It should happen automatically, but there may be a lag time. Or you can call and ask them to do it for you now.

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:56 pm

No fees. Just a reduction in the ER for you. If you don’t initiate it, at some point vanguard will make the change for you. But why not get the lower cost now?

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:54 pm

Click the upgrade link* and it will happen at the next market close. If you do it before 4 PM ET on a market day, it will happen that day. The Admiral Shares will show up the next morning. It is a conversion and not a sale, so it will not trigger any taxes in a taxable account.

* There should be an (i) flag after the fund name on the old-style Balances and holdings page. If you click on the (i) flag, you should see an upgrade link. I converted two positions to Admiral Shares last week, when the Admiral Shares first became available for Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Small Cap.

Topic Author
Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Thanks all ! I called Vanguard & the rep put in an order to convert my funds to Admiral class. He confirmed no tax/fees will be charged for this.