Passport Photos ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dm200

Re: Passport Photos ?

Post by dm200 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:14 am

HueyLD wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:26 am
spectec wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:50 am
As I get older, I'm becoming ever more appreciative of the sign at the Pentagon mentioned in a previous reply' "If you want a better picture, bring a better face."
Or you can ask the photo taker to do a little bit of photo shopping. In fact, I was in another country and needed to have passport pictures taken. The photo booth owner asked me if I would like some minor photo touch-up to enhance my appearance. It was a very small fee and of course I took the better choice. :wink:
From the State Department web site, that is prohibited for passport photos.

Calico

Post by Calico » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 am

Nicolas wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:15 pm
It’s free with certain AAA memberships.
I got mine done for free at AAA but they were rejected and I ended up having to do it again at the post office anyway.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:18 am

Ged wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:45 pm
You Know What I Mean wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:17 pm

I went to the Walgreens a quarter-mile from my house, paid a nominal fee, and got a great photo in less than 10 minutes. I submitted it and got my passport with no problem.

YMMV. Good luck!
My mileage at Walgreens was great with no waiting and was accepted on first try
Have always done them at Walgreens with great results.

Admiral

Post by Admiral » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:18 am

Just had this done at a local photo place. If you plan to DIY or whatever to save a few bucks, follow the instructions to the letter. No glasses. No smiling with teeth, stapled not paper-clipped, etc.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:19 am

There are parameters for a passport photo. Not only size of the picture but size of your face within that picture. So if you do it yourself make sure you have it right.
Walgreens, Coatco. Many places do passport photos. It is not a big thing. You will on,y need them once every ten years. Annualized the cost of $6 over that time. The passport itself is expensive and so is travel. Don't agonize over these pictures. Don't worry about how you look. It is for brief periods of time at borders and I think your ego can hack that.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:21 am

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
Another vote for epassportphoto.com

But I am an amateur photographer, so I am using a DSLR with an external flash bounced off the ceiling with the subject against a white wall that is out of focus. That gives almost studio-like quality that no drug store bozos can touch with their polaroids.

Even without a DSLR, I would recommend taking the picture yourself with whatever point-and-shoot you have, but diffusing the flash with a piece of white paper. Or shoot without a flash in a well-illuminated area without harsh shadows.

Or, you know, go to Walgreens, but do expect the result to look like a mugshot.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 am

Vulcan wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:21 am

But I am an amateur photographer, so I am using a DSLR with an external flash bounced off the ceiling with the subject against a white wall that is out of focus. That gives almost studio-like quality that no drug store bozos can touch with their polaroids.

Even without a DSLR, I would recommend taking the picture yourself with whatever point-and-shoot you have, but diffusing the flash with a piece of white paper. Or shoot without a flash in a well-illuminated area without harsh shadows.

+1
This is what I do. I also copy the pictures to fill the green area and bring the extra photos on my trip just in case.
You have a cute one BTW.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:56 am

HueyLD wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:26 am
spectec wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:50 am
As I get older, I'm becoming ever more appreciative of the sign at the Pentagon mentioned in a previous reply' "If you want a better picture, bring a better face."
Or you can ask the photo taker to do a little bit of photo shopping. In fact, I was in another country and needed to have passport pictures taken. The photo booth owner asked me if I would like some minor photo touch-up to enhance my appearance. It was a very small fee and of course I took the better choice. :wink:

No. No. No. No to PhotoShopping a passport photo. That can in no way end well.

This was a joke, right?

Admiral

Post by Admiral » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:00 am

Vulcan wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:21 am

Totally disagree. The difference in cost between a professional doing it and DIY or one of these Web sites is the price of a beer or two lattes. OP: How much is your time worth? Support a small local business if one exists in your town. It is SO not worth the hassle if it is done incorrectly. They WILL reject your application.

Jeez the lengths people on this board will go to save five bucks amazes me sometimes. :oops:

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:17 am

Admiral wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:00 am
Totally disagree. The difference in cost between a professional doing it and DIY or one of these Web sites is the price of a beer or two lattes. OP: How much is your time worth? Support a small local business if one exists in your town. It is SO not worth the hassle if it is done incorrectly. They WILL reject your application.

Jeez the lengths people on this board will go to save five bucks amazes me sometimes. :oops:
I am not doing it to save 5 bucks, I am doing it to get a passport photo I actually like.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 am

bryansmile wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 am
+1
This is what I do. I also copy the pictures to fill the green area and bring the extra photos on my trip just in case.
Yep, same here. I just wanted to show what the original looks like.
You have a cute one BTW.
Thanks! He's seven years older now and about to turn into a teenager:-)

chambers136

Post by chambers136 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:23 am

Check your local library. Any fee paid goes to support the library as well.

flarf

Post by flarf » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 am

Adults are easy. You ever try getting an infant to look straight ahead at a camera and hold a neutral expression?

I always thought it would be a great idea to have a website where one could purchase passport-compliant pictures of babies. You could have a spectrum of say 20 to choose from, and I bet one of them would look like similar enough to 95% of those <1mo of age.

My wife always thought that would be tantamount to fraud, but I don't see what's fraudulent about selling some pictures...

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:43 am

Even though I have all the professional camera and lighting gear and skills to make excellent passport photos, it's not worth my time. I will gladly pay $5 or so for Walgreens to do it for me. As long as it gets me through the border I don't care whether or not it's a flattering photo.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:46 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:19 am
There are parameters for a passport photo. Not only size of the picture but size of your face within that picture. So if you do it yourself make sure you have it right.
Walgreens, Coatco. Many places do passport photos. It is not a big thing. You will on,y need them once every ten years. Annualized the cost of $6 over that time. The passport itself is expensive and so is travel. Don't agonize over these pictures. Don't worry about how you look. It is for brief periods of time at borders and I think your ego can hack that.
If I want to ensure that my photo size, composition, background, and everything else meets State's requirements, I do it myself and let them handle only the printing. Checking the requirements is as simple as reading this post. I've never needed professional cameras and lighting, but a non glare, almost white background is essential. I use my wall. I've had too many family members have photos taken at stores and even the post office rejected---this after having to wait for the right person at the right place to take the $5-15 photo.

And even better, you can take as many as you like and use the one you like the best. Never been rejected once, after taking many photos for myself and friends/family.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:00 pm

I've gone to Walgreens, Costco and a local place near the passport office. Costco was cheap ($5). The local place was expensive ($30). Walgreens wasn't bad (I think $7).

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:38 pm

epassportphoto makes it easy

They have templates for every passport in the world that ensured appropriate size and positioning of the face in the frame.
I used them a number of times for multiple sets of passports (we are dual citizens) with excellent results.
So if you feel you can take a good picture yourself, there is zero reason to go with a drug-store mugshot.
Those are just horrendously, cringeworthy bad.

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:01 pm

For me it is more about making the time in my day to go out to have a photo taken. I’ve done DIY for 2 passports and one renew. I have dual citizenship and I like that the same photo is used for both passports, taken by my son. He’s a professional photographer now so I guess I was in good hands.

Thanks for the reminder. I believe one passport needs renewal in a few months.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 pm

3504PIR wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:29 pm
Remember not to smile for the photo. Have had an application for a family member rejected for that. Keep it neutral.
That's not what the passport website says regarding passport photo guidelines...

Pose and Expression
Have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... hotos.html

It seems there is a common misconception that is often repeated that smiles are not allowed for passport photos and I don't know where it comes from because the guidelines published by the Department of State explicitly allow for a "natural smile." My sense is that smiles that show teeth are not accepted, whereas natural smiles that do not show teeth are accepted. And yet I often hear people say "smiles are not allowed in passport photos."

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:27 pm

Vulcan wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:17 am
Admiral wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:00 am

I am not doing it to save 5 bucks, I am doing it to get a passport photo I actually like.
Who cares what it looks like - you show it to passport control personnel - you don't hang it on your wall.

+1 for Walgreens- I also am an photog hobbyist with DSLR, lighting setups, etc - but don't want to take the time to take from doing something more fun or artistic for such a simple picture with specific dimensions.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:35 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:03 pm
student wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:54 pm
I always do it at the post office because I will know for sure that it satisfies the requirement.
My thinking as well. What is the charge?
I've had one taken at the post office rejected before. Like others have said, just about any drugstore will do them for a lot less money. I always take a ruler with me though and double check them myself after the fiasco of getting one rejected that was taken by the post office.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:41 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:27 pm
Vulcan wrote:
Who cares what it looks like - you show it to passport control personnel - you don't hang it on your wall.
Me! I do.
+1 for Walgreens- I also am an photog hobbyist with DSLR, lighting setups, etc - but don't want to take the time to take from doing something more fun or artistic for such a simple picture with specific dimensions.
It only takes a second to point the flash up towards the ceiling.
Much less time than driving to Walgreens.
However, if one is satisfied with drug store mugshots - what much is there to discuss.
Any one of them is as good as any.

As a side note, in the olden days, in my old country, you had to go to a proper photographer to get your passport photo taken.
Now, that was worth the time and money:)

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:08 pm

Vulcan wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:41 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:27 pm
Vulcan wrote:
Me! I do.
It only takes a second to point the flash up towards the ceiling.
Much less time than driving to Walgreens.
However, if one is satisfied with drug store mugshots - what much is there to discuss.
Any one of them is as good as any.

As a side note, in the olden days, in my old country, you had to go to a proper photographer to get your passport photo taken.
Now, that was worth the time and money:)
It takes more than a second - you don't just point your flash up and click a picture and get a passport photo. You need to look up the dimensions - make sure you have the right plain background for the shot - take the picture - figure out what acceptable media is to print on (don't want to waste good photo stock if you don't have to) - and print out the exact right size and dimensions. Comparing this to having the nice lady at Walgreens snap my photo after I pick up my prescription (most of us go there anyway) and I'll take the latter.
To each there own but I also don't care what my passport photo looks like. Nobody sees it but the grumpy guy in passport control putting the stamp in it.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:36 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:08 pm
It takes more than a second - you don't just point your flash up and click a picture and get a passport photo. You need to look up the dimensions - make sure you have the right plain background for the shot - take the picture - figure out what acceptable media is to print on (don't want to waste good photo stock if you don't have to) - and print out the exact right size and dimensions.
No, you don't need to do any of this. As I mentioned, epassportphoto does it all for you: they have templates for cropping and positioning for every passport in the world. Then you order it online on Amazon and it's in your mailbox a week later. You're more likely to get a bad photo at Walgreens than by doing it yourself. And we really just spent more time talking about it here than it would take to get the photo made;)

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Vulcan wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:36 pm
No, you don't need to do any of this. As I mentioned, epassportphoto does it all for you: they have templates for cropping and positioning for every passport in the world. Then you order it online on Amazon and it's in your mailbox a week later. You're more likely to get a bad photo at Walgreens than by doing it yourself. And we really just spent more time talking about it here than it would take to get the photo made;)

I agree it's not hard, but their sample photo violates the requirement to have a white or off-white background. Do they do unpermitted edits to remove the background?

Open-mouth smiles or other expressions may also be a concern, as noted above.

That said, my wife's photo from Walgreens was very underexposed and should have been rejected, but wasn't. My own photo, which I took, met all the rules perfectly, but the State Department edited it for some reason to give it a really obvious red cast. So apparently if you meet all the rules, they go out of the way to make sure your photo violates at least one...
Last edited by iamlucky13 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:07 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:04 pm
I agree it's not hard, but their sample photo violates the requirement to have a white or off-white background. Do they do unpermitted edits to remove the background?

Open-mouth smiles or other expressions may also be a concern, as noted above.

That said, my wife's photo from Walgreens was very underexposed and should have been rejected, but wasn't. My own photo, which I took, met all the rules perfectly, but the State Department edited it for some reason to give it a really obvious red cast. So apparently if you meet all the rules, they go out of the way to make sure your photo violates at least one...
Well, yes, I was only demonstrating how the cropping to specs works, not the facial expression or background. (it's my sample photo, not theirs)
It's easy enough to find a white wall.

As for the red background - it's not editing, it's a lousy inkjet they use.
I am actually kinda frustrated at the print quality after I send them my studio-like photos.
I had the same problem several times - off color, fuzzy, striped. Had them redo the passport a couple of times, but it is still lousy.
My home country did a much better job with the same photos sent in.

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:46 pm

I used Walgreens last time. The spacing etc. was right but I had my glasses on. Apparently the rules changed since my previous passport where I also have glasses on. Anyway the passport office rejected my application. Went back and got another set. Mailed the application again and got the passport in about 2 weeks.

Moral of this story and others here is read the rules yourself. Make sure they do it right. Apply early so if something is screwed up you have time. Go wherever is convenient for you.

LSLover

Post by LSLover » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Has anyone tried Passport Booth app?

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:29 pm

Vulcan wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:36 pm
GoldStar wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:08 pm
It takes more than a second - you don't just point your flash up and click a picture and get a passport photo. You need to look up the dimensions - make sure you have the right plain background for the shot - take the picture - figure out what acceptable media is to print on (don't want to waste good photo stock if you don't have to) - and print out the exact right size and dimensions.

I see. Thanks for clarifying. For me, what worked was the instant nature if Walgreens- but being me - I realized my passport expired the day I had an international flight so had to stop by and get a pic on the way to Federal building which I had to stop at on the way to airport.

investor4life

Post by investor4life » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:37 pm

It is free (once a year) with a AAA Plus membership.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:45 pm

The last one I took was at the UPS store. I went there because I knew it would be quick with no waiting around. I can't remember how much it cost because I just expensed it for work anyway.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:21 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:29 pm
I see. Thanks for clarifying. For me, what worked was the instant nature if Walgreens- but being me - I realized my passport expired the day I had an international flight so had to stop by and get a pic on the way to Federal building which I had to stop at on the way to airport.
Your passport was issued the same day you went to the federal building?

gtg970g

Post by gtg970g » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:40 pm

We can apply for a passport at the County Courthouse and they take a photo for $10. That said we took our own photo of our 9 month old and printed it at CVS since we knew he would not cooperate with a photographer. We used a free app and everything worked well. The passport application is very particular about dimensions and background color so be sure to meet their requirements; we used a white sheet as the background.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:10 pm

mptfan wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:21 pm
GoldStar wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:29 pm
Your passport was issued the same day you went to the federal building?
Yes. Its not something they advertise but they will do it if you just show up (don't call first) and claim ignorance. I showed up with my boarding pass and asked for their help (I also had my luggage with me for the trip) - I had a passport within the hour. Its not something I would recommend - they certainly had no obligation to help me. The airline actually told me to just go there and ask for mercy and I was amazed that I got it done.
(Note - had to pay the expedited passport fee obviously - $170 total. As you can imagine - since I needed to get a passport within a few hours of my flight leaving - I didn't care what my passport photo looked like :) ).

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:40 pm

investor4life wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:37 pm
It is free (once a year) with a AAA Plus membership.
That depends on your local AAA affiliate company. Mine used to be free for Plus level, now that just gives you a few bucks off. Free photos now requires Premier level here. I still prefer to take the photo myself

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:48 pm

I diy, but it is the worst return on your time imaginable, just have them taken there if they offer it.