When does total global bond mutual fund come out?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Dink2018

When does total global bond mutual fund come out?

Post by Dink2018 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:12 am

Anyone know?

The etf has been around for a while but I prefer mutual funds.

Crustus

Re: When does total global bond mutual fund come out?

Post by Crustus » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:34 pm

And . . .

bluquark

Post by bluquark » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:42 pm

I think OP was asking about an equivalent to the BNDW ETF. I haven't heard any plan to make it a mutual fund.

VGCAX (Global Credit Bond) contains different stuff from BNDW (Total World Bond). They are both intermediate term 50/50 US/ex-US, but BNDW has an average credit rating of AA and I think VGCAX's is more around A/BBB.

I think VGCAX is a pretty good fund though, particularly as the diversification over the entire world should help mitigate the higher credit risk.

MnD

Post by MnD » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:06 pm

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:58 pm

Vanguard makes puzzling decisions about it's global funds. In the US the global bond fund is an etf only, but non-US Vanguard has global bond index mutual funds that follow the same index and come in flavors that hedge to a variety of currencies. On the other hand, for stocks, US Vanguard has total world fund/etf that follows a global all-cap index, but non-US Vanguard has only a "global stock index fund" that follows the MSCI World index, which is developed world only and, I believe, doesn't go as far down into mid- and small-cap stocks as the global all cap. Since it would seem simpler to do, why doesn't Vanguard have the same total world stock and total world bond funds/etfs everywhere? I don't know, but I find it incongruous.
Regards, | | Guy

Topic Author
Dink2018

Post by Dink2018 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:35 pm

Yep, that's why I've assumed it's coming out. I want to create a two fund portfolio. I was going to go 100% into life strategy but that doesn't seem like a great idea in a taxable account.