Not receiving interest penalties from the State Highway Administration

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
SGM

Not receiving interest penalties from the State Highway Administration

Post by SGM » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:58 pm

The State Highway Administration owes me a large amount of interest. They were supposed to pay me 7 weeks ago. I have been in touch with two individuals who have either lied or were too confused to give me the reason for non-payment. Earlier I put a stop to road construction on my land because the SHA did not pay me for the land and seized it illegally. I was paid early in December and allowed construction to proceed. The interest penalty was due 7 weeks ago. I have been pursuing payment for the last 7 weeks, but only received promises. Yesterday I was informed that the payment is delayed because the construction is partially being paid for by the federal government and paperwork could not be signed because of the shutdown.

I will have to stop construction again because of non-payment of the interest penalty. So far i have been a nice guy. I don't want to get an attorney involved. I think the threat of bad publicity is sufficient to stop the construction. Have any landowners on this site been in a similar situation.

Please avoid any political statements. Thanks.

Re: Not receiving interest penalties from the State Highway Administration

Post by 123 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:38 pm

You might have a stronger position if you let them finish the road and then block access pending final payment and interest. They'd look pretty stupid if they completed a road but couldn't use it.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Topic Author
SGM

Re: Not receiving interest penalties from the State Highway Administration

Post by SGM » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:40 pm

The problem was resolved by speaking in a direct manner to the Project Manager of the private construction company doing the work. He was able to convince the State Highway Administration that they ought to find my check that had been lost during the government shutdown. In fact they notified me 2 hours after the PM made his call and email to his connection at the SHA. :D :D :D :D

Read in a direct manner as I am not going to take this anymore. The 5th amendment states that the government cannot seize your property without proper compensation. Apparently construction management was sympathetic as they sometimes have difficulty receiving payment for their work from the SHA.