Alternative to checking account for short term deposit

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
MoDosh

Alternative to checking account for short term deposit

Post by MoDosh » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:09 pm

We have a sum of money coming to us soon that will sit in our checking account for several months. Money probably will go to Vanguard funds eventually. In the meantime what to do rather than sitting in bank account with zero interest.

What about Betterment smart saver this seems to be not a bad option?

https://www.betterment.com/smart-saver/

Wondering what Vanguard has, do they have a similar Product, some type of CD or money market fund that would only be used for two months then probably cleaned out. Obviously I don't want to pay fees or penalties for early withdrawal etc. etc.

Also what about betterment in general, they seem to have quite an aggressive advertising program on various podcast I listen to?

Rupert

Re: Alternative to checking account for short term deposit

Post by Rupert » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:16 pm

Vanguard's Prime Money Market fund is presently paying about 2.5%. Alternatively, there are lots of online savings accounts with FDIC insurance that are paying 2+% right now.

wriley4409

Post by wriley4409 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:19 pm

T-bills wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Vanguard's money market account VMMXX sounds like a natural place, especially if it's already likely going to Vanguard. Current rate is about 2.5%.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

nguy44

Post by nguy44 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:35 pm

Agree with others, VMMXX seems a natural for your situation. I did this for an unexpected inheritance I received.

gmehta

Post by gmehta » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:50 pm

How short is your short term? I have put money in VCADX for now. It is intermediate Muno Bond Fund. Returns are Federal and State Tax exempt.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:54 pm

MoDosh wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:09 pm
We have a sum of money coming to us soon that will sit in our checking account for several months. Money probably will go to Vanguard funds eventually. In the meantime what to do rather than sitting in bank account with zero interest.

What about Betterment smart saver this seems to be not a bad option?

https://www.betterment.com/smart-saver/

Wondering what Vanguard has, do they have a similar Product, some type of CD or money market fund that would only be used for two months then probably cleaned out. Obviously I don't want to pay fees or penalties for early withdrawal etc. etc.

Also what about betterment in general, they seem to have quite an aggressive advertising program on various podcast I listen to?
ally no penalty cd 2.3%

Topic Author
MoDosh

Post by MoDosh » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Short term is until I read all the books and decide how to invest :) 2 months .... Some will be no brainers like Vangurard's index funds.

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Another vote for vanguard money market.