What lifestyle creep made you happier?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JackoC

Re: What lifestyle creep made you happier?

Post by JackoC » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:44 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:37 am
JackoC wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:19 am
And as a lot of those examples show, 'family' isn't all about emotions. It's also somewhat about material things, including money to buy 'experiences' (like nice family vacations, and even expensive cars are an 'experience', including to drive somewhere with your family). In real life, family isn't 100% about just being with and sharing love with loved ones, though that's a key ingredient obviously. So I agree, evaluating how you loved and were loved and how you earned and spent money are potentially related issues but not the same thing. And it's definitely not that spending more money makes you less loving or loved.

Also one could take a step back and ask why it's so disproportionately important what you think of your life in your final days compared to what you think about it the whole rest of the time. If you believe your life in this world is just a small part of something bigger/longer, that's one thing (not to sidetrack on such an risky topic). If you believe this is all there is, why does it matter so much more how you evaluate your life in your final 2 months in the hospice v. any other 2 months during your life?

You are right in a sense. Yes, spending money on a vacation to help create new experiences for a family is an excellent example. But, how is the experience any better if the family stays on the top floor of the hotel for an extra $300/night? That is lifestyle creep with no real benefit. Since you say a car is an experience, and I am a car guy who loves to drive. How is the experience of driving a 3 year old Porsche cayman any different than driving a brand new Porsche cayman? Can you quantify the improvement in experience or, after driving the new porsche for a few weeks you completely lose any site of the difference. Is driving a Honda CRV that much worse than driving an Acura RDX or are the differences negligible after a few months of ownership.

We as mere mortals should enjoy our life as best we could and not just save so that we die the richest scoundrel in the retirement community. But at the same time we should really evaluate our expenses to make the most of them. Lifestyle creep has no limit. One can always find an excuse and way to spend more.
Those kind of questions about specific examples are always there but never have an objective answer. Not even a partly objective answer unless you more tightly define 'lifestyle creep' as 'creeping toward a level that's not sustainable'. But as a lot of posts suggest, in many cases it's people's lifestyle 'creeping' to a level they could have afforded before, but they'd gotten carried away a bit (or a lot in some cases) with excessive saving and frugality. Does that apply to the average American (or perhaps other rich country avg person)? No. But it probably does apply to a significant % of people here. And to me, I believe.

I bought a new M2 last year. I also considered a new Cayman S or 911 4S but those were around 50% and 100% more respectively, optioned as I'd like. OTOH I just don't like my fun cars to be somebody else's hand me down, unless a classic. But while many say the M2 is reminiscent of classic M cars of the past, it's also modern and perhaps a future classic itself. But mainly I didn't want a much more expensive car because I'm not comfortable spending a lot of money, cars overcome that for me a bit but it's still true even so (also the M2 has a real if cozy back seat, though so do other sporty cars I didn't mention). For people who couldn't afford one or more of them or for whom there would be hard trade off with something else they wanted, OK. But the idea 'you don't get anything more' as if some general appeal to logic, no. It's means and propensity to spend. And some people need to reconsider if they are spending enough, even if they are fewer in number than people the other way around. A lot of people have to be careful to avoid constantly gaining weight. It's no surprise that mass market advice assumes that. But some, even healthy, people have to be conscious of avoiding losing weight.

Is the M2, after awhile, the same as any other car? No. If it's not your cup of tea it might be stiffer and louder than you'd like for one thing. :happy The next 'experience' planned is to have it trucked to the west coast in enclosed comfort, fly to meet it and drive it back to the east coast on two lane roads. We drove our tuned-up 328i 3/4's of the way west and back last year. That was fun, but I thought to myself at the time, a little more pull to pass more quickly on two lane roads, a little more tire area and grip on windy mountain roads, perhaps RWD and an electronic limited slip differential... Based on shorter range excursions I believe the M2 will be 'quantifiably' more fun.

Calico

Post by Calico » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:35 pm

I don't know that I have much lifestyle creep. I feel like I am always trying to cut back more and more. I get a kick out of saving money (not spending it). I am somewhat frugal (I say somewhat because there are people who put me to shame). But I have a reputation among family and friends for being frugal. Sometimes they tease me and make a squeaking noise with their fingers (pinching pennies). But they mean it in good fun.

But I think I may have something. I work for a place that has an annual convention every year and I am required to go every year. While I work when there, it's like a vacation for me. They put me up in the conference hotel (which is usually high end: Marriott, Hyatt, etc). And they pay for all my food too (even at nicer restaurants, withing reason). But they only pay for a coach ticket for the flight. After they buy my plane ticket, I upgrade it to first class if it's reasonable. Last conference, I literally paid $20 more each way for first class! That was it! I think the most I paid for a first class upgrade was $400 total ($200 both ways on non-stop on Virgin America, coast-to-coast. First class was very nice). It's kind of fun to allow myself that little bit of luxury. Especially since I HATE flying.
Last edited by Calico on Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 2015 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:36 pm

Oakwood42 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:58 pm
2015 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:33 am
Moving to paradise has been one of the biggest fulfillment creeps of my entire life. Right now, at 8:30 in the morning, I'm marveling out my bedroom window at the moon dipping into the top of the mountains right in front of me. I have gobs of money to travel this year, yet no desire to go anywhere.
WOW
No matter what you think of Anthony Robbins, I agree wholeheartedly with him that finding the juice in the moment regardless of what's going on is a recipe for a having a good life. I didn't always do this, but am devoted to doing it now. People in the Midwest might hate the record low temperatures right now, but there's something pretty awesome about the beauty mother nature is creating, even when you're bone cold.

No amount of yield or performance chasing will ever be created by fulfillment because fulfillment is strictly an internal job.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:01 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:06 pm
flyingaway wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:42 am
After achieving financial independence, I have been doing more travels and care less about my job.
That, probably, makes me happier.
Congratulations flyingaway. We have chatted a bit about this stuff over the years. We too have recently reached a financial independence milestone. We went part time this year and find ourselves so much more happy. We work less, exercise more, eat healthier, spend more time with friends and family, and have more time to argue on the internet. Okay, that last one isn't making me any happier, lol. This year we did a 4 week road trip across the US, skiing, hiking, and a trip to Europe. Despite all this fun traveling, we spent less money this year as compared to when we worked full time.
Let us enjoy the fruits of hard-working and make our life happier, in whatever form it is, before we still have time.

Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:03 pm

SQRT wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:04 pm
Lots of things.
-helping family financially
-5 star hotels and first class air when vacationing
-having multiple vacation homes
-luxury performance cars (BMW’s).
-inviting friends and family along on our luxury trips

Designer clothes, expensive watches, jewelry, food/wine probably less impact.

Been retired for over 12 years and don’t feel we “over saved” whatever that might mean. Spending more in retirement than when working and quite happy about that. Having a great time.
"Spending more in retirement than when working and quite happy about that. Having a great time."

Love it

Trader/Investor

Post by Trader/Investor » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:16 pm

Nissan Xterras. I own three now and looking for my fourth. They fit my lifestyle and my original one is by far the best vehicle I ever owned maintenance-wise. They quit making them in 2015. I want to make sure when I go to the grave I am still driving a Nissan Xterra.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:54 am

I guess hiring a cleaning service

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:48 pm

Giving away $

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:50 pm

2015 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:36 pm
Oakwood42 wrote:
2015 wrote:
Moving to paradise has been one of the biggest fulfillment creeps of my entire life. Right now, at 8:30 in the morning, I'm marveling out my bedroom window at the moon dipping into the top of the mountains right in front of me. I have gobs of money to travel this year, yet no desire to go anywhere.
WOW
No matter what you think of Anthony Robbins, I agree wholeheartedly with him that finding the juice in the moment regardless of what's going on is a recipe for a having a good life. I didn't always do this, but am devoted to doing it now. People in the Midwest might hate the record low temperatures right now, but there's something pretty awesome about the beauty mother nature is creating, even when you're bone cold.

No amount of yield or performance chasing will ever be created by fulfillment because fulfillment is strictly an internal job.
I just have to say, there is literally nothing beautiful about -27 temps and -60 wind chills. Nothing.

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:08 am

Using most convenient gas station

Not having to look at price on menu of my local restaurants and ordering on what I want and not looking to “save” literally a few dollars on someth8ng that won’t make me as happy

House cleaning service

First class on 75% of flights due to status level achieved from business travel

More time with my daughter everyday while she is still in grade school and wants to spend time with her parents.

Coffee is not considered a luxury

Contributing to charity with both time and money.

ram

Post by ram » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:17 am

Housecleaning
Lawnmowing
Snow removal (when on vacation)
Car with heated seats and steering wheel.
Ram

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:53 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:50 pm
2015 wrote:
Oakwood42 wrote:
2015 wrote:
WOW

I just have to say, there is literally nothing beautiful about -27 temps and -60 wind chills. Nothing.
Well said by someone who evidently hasn't experienced the beauty of humanity that emerges in such circumstances. True enough, most would never *choose* to place oneself in such circumstances. Indeed, it appears that 2015 has done the rational thing (having earned the right and funding to do it) to not be there. BTW 2015, where is this paradise you speak of (in general terms - not asking you to reveal specific locale or anything else you wouldn't be comfortable revealing)? SoAnyway....

Having been in such circumstances many times, as well as other challenging circumstances created by forces outside the control of those in my immediate surrounding area and that caused all of us total strangers to come together and do what we could to help each other, all I can say Bacchus01 is that I hope you never find yourself in such a situation.

I can tell you that there is extraordinary beauty in witnessing younger more able-bodied members of a community check in on elderly neighbors and report back to all concerned; in witnessing those midlife "tweeners" (not the youthful able-bodied 30yo-and-younger set but also not the elderly 70+yo set) set up an entire system to make sure everyone in the community was safe; in witnessing others take in total strangers until Monday morning, whose heating had failed and can't afford to pay time-and-a-half rates for someone to come fix it; and on and on and on.... And more to the point for my part, in contributing to the collective effort in the ways that my physical/mental/financial abilities allowed. It's how we humans get through challenging times. And it's a beautiful thing.

EDIT: My apologies, OP - I didn't answer your question. My answer is the same as one of the posters upthread, i.e. Everything. If it didn't make me happier I wouldn't have done it. (duh)
I aspire to be deliberate. I encourage you to do likewise. All best!

bstewie

Post by bstewie » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:07 am

1. Home
2. GT350

Post by 2015 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:50 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:50 pm
2015 wrote:
Oakwood42 wrote:
2015 wrote:
WOW

I'm sorry you choose to look at it that way. I really am. Because your viewpoint is determining the quality of your experience at this very moment. Appreciation of beauty, like fulfillment, is always an internal job. It determines your quality of life at all times. If you can't control your mind no matter what is going on, you will always be at the mercy of externals. In this regard, unchecked "lifestyle creep" is subject to hedonistic adaptation and the feeling of never enough.

This is why I believe those who devote much of their time and attention to chasing yield or performance are simultaneously choosing to ignore other, equally critical aspects of the complex adaptive system they live in which is the totality of their life. We see from biology and nature that life is all about balance.

chw

Post by chw » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:56 pm

Buying a vacation home that we intended to use summers, and several weekends in the off-season. We have used and enjoyed the home as expected, and it wasn't a burden financially, as DW and I had lived well below our means for all of our lives, and were debt free when the home was purchased.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:40 pm

Parking places closer to the football stadium and the basketball arena.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

SeaEngineer

Post by SeaEngineer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:15 pm

Oakwood42 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:07 pm
SeaEngineer wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:39 pm
Those of you flying first class - at what networth you started flying first class ? We are currently at 3M excluding home equity.I keep thinking may be one day when we reach 5M - I will think about first class.
lol
Lol indeed ...I guess I always thought guys at the front of the plane must be ultra rich ... we should loosen purse strings a bit I think - especially when we make 600-700 per year ...

supersecretname

Post by supersecretname » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:47 pm

thought of this thread last night.

ordering a shot of whiskey with my beer to start the evening.

ER2023

Post by ER2023 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:11 am

We both "retired" early from our very stressful/high paid Corp-America jobs to *much* lower paid/no stress positions in jobs we really enjoy. We paid off the mortgage/all debt before doing so and lowered our expenses to do it. We didn't sacrifice a thing. We focus on cooking healthy and delicious food, exercising, fun hobbies, and time with our loved ones.

Simplifying was THE best decision EVER.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:13 am

Flying premium economy
Increasing charitable giving
Occasional trips to Starbucks
Replacing cellphones when they become very annoying (vs when they stop functioning)

Bovinae

Post by Bovinae » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:19 am

Professional movers.

Never even thinking about getting insurance for smallish items, e.g. phone, appliances, rental car. The claims process is miserable. I accept that sometimes I will get burnt and just pony up the cash for replacement/repair. It’s a wonderful simplification.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:35 am

Bovinae wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:19 am
Professional movers.
Oh wow, yes. I've never paid for this out of my own pocket, but had my company pay for movers for a relocation before. I'll never ever move myself again without pros.

gliderpilot567

Post by gliderpilot567 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:01 pm

I paid a guy to paint a few small interior walls because I hate doing it. Used the time to go on a hike with my family.

I have a big shop full of tools which I use to build all kinds of stuff. Can also repair just about anything. Not sure this counts because although the space and tools were an outlay, it saves money in the long run. The tools are also a value store because in my town I could unload them fairly quickly if I needed emergency cash, and I take good care of them.

Lots and lots of plants and trees in front and back yard.

Home espresso machine. Breville Barista Express. It's awesome.

Motorized garage door opener. So the kids can get their bikes out on their own. DIY install of course.

Finished the front patio so we can watch the sunsets.

Huge real Christmas tree (12-17 ft last several yrs) and the expensive prime rib on Christmas.

There's probably a few more.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:19 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:52 am
I find it interesting too. I wonder how many responders have actually owned luxury cars (maybe not that many). I've never owned a luxury car, but my $30k car with the highest trim is more functional, a bit more comfortable and possibly more reliable than my $5k car. I think both were great purchases, but I don't think the car that cost 6x more makes me happier.
If the car that cost 6x as much doesn't make you any happier, than you probably shouldn't have purchased it. Now I'll agree that it's unlikely to make you 6x happier, that's why we all have to decide where along the curve of diminishing returns we want to fall. But one should never accept additional incremental expense without at least some incremental utility.

I've owned several luxury cars, and to me they have been "worth it". But I don't delude myself that I got dollar-for-dollar benefits over and above, say, a used Corolla. Just that what I got for the additional cost provided me with sufficient personal value to make it worthwhile.

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:27 pm

"Upgrading" from a Subaru Outback to an F-150. Just got back from a snowmobiling trip and towing ~1500 lbs with the F-150 was sooooooooooo much better than towing with the Outback.

Also snowmobiling.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:46 am

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:19 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
I find it interesting too. I wonder how many responders have actually owned luxury cars (maybe not that many). I've never owned a luxury car, but my $30k car with the highest trim is more functional, a bit more comfortable and possibly more reliable than my $5k car. I think both were great purchases, but I don't think the car that cost 6x more makes me happier.
If the car that cost 6x as much doesn't make you any happier, than you probably shouldn't have purchased it. Now I'll agree that it's unlikely to make you 6x happier, that's why we all have to decide where along the curve of diminishing returns we want to fall. But one should never accept additional incremental expense without at least some incremental utility.

I've owned several luxury cars, and to me they have been "worth it". But I don't delude myself that I got dollar-for-dollar benefits over and above, say, a used Corolla. Just that what I got for the additional cost provided me with sufficient personal value to make it worthwhile.
I don't think I'm happier driving the $30k car except for the fact that it has Satellite XM and good music will put me in a good mood. But the $30k car was bought new so should last longer and has a lot of nice convenient and safety features compared to the other car being bought with 180k miles on it. Both cars are SUVs and I have more fun driving small sports cars, but I need the utility for my lifestyle (family and outdoor activities). So both cars aren't exactly a blast to drive, but I think both have value. I think the takeaway is I'll probably just hang onto both for a while because I don't think a nice new car will make that me that much happier.
Last edited by ThankYouJack on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:51 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:46 am
lazydavid wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:19 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:

I don't think I'm happier driving the $30k car except for the fact that it has Satellite XM and good music will put me in a good mood. But the $30k car was bought new so should last longer and has a lot of nice convenient features compared to the other car being bought with 180k miles on it. Both cars are SUVs and I have more fun driving small sports cars, but I need the utility for my lifestyle (family and outdoor activities). So both cars aren't exactly a blast to drive, but I think both have value
Buying a Lexus was one of my best moves ever. I appreciate it every time I drive it. Because I appreciate I have kept it in better shape than any other vehicle I have ever owned. Because I enjoy it I have kept it longer and intend to keep it longer than any other vehicle I have ever owned. My wife keeps asking do I want a new car and I don't because I got what I wanted in the first place. I don't know if I actually saved money buying it, but my guess is it isn't going to end up costing much more than cycling through a series of economy vehicles I didn't enjoy.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:14 am

EnjoyIt wrote: ↑Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:06 pm
flyingaway wrote: ↑Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:42 am
After achieving financial independence, I have been doing more travels and care less about my job.
That, probably, makes me happier.
Congratulations flyingaway. We have chatted a bit about this stuff over the years. We too have recently reached a financial independence milestone. We went part time this year and find ourselves so much more happy. We work less, exercise more, eat healthier, spend more time with friends and family, and have more time to argue on the internet. Okay, that last one isn't making me any happier, lol. This year we did a 4 week road trip across the US, skiing, hiking, and a trip to Europe. Despite all this fun traveling, we spent less money this year as compared to when we worked full time.
Let us enjoy the fruits of hard-working and make our life happier, in whatever form it is, before we still have time.
After a lifetime of frugality, once we saw the target-number, I got serious about our bucket-list!---in fact, I started one for the first time.
We have rented a large beach house on a remote island and gathered the family there.
We took a dozen family members on a cruise to Alaska; grandkids were the perfect ages for this.
Now we are renting a villa in Italy to gather the whole clan, the first Europe trip for the grandkids.
Life is very sweet.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

Every things free

Post by Every things free » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:50 am

Nicer shoes. Setting aside more time to read books.
You know when you are rich. You can buy anything you want but want nothing.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:52 am

Per another recent thread, I am now buying better Q tips. .

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:50 am

Fly business class on my travel hacks. Not sure which part makes me happier, the travel hacks or the business class.

mancich

Post by mancich » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:46 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:52 am
Per another recent thread, I am now buying better Q tips. .
:D

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:19 am

Late to the party:

Moccamaster coffee maker that replaced a half dozen other, pricey, but ultimately inferior coffee makers
Hawaiian Kona beans
TOTO washlet toilets in all 6 house bathrooms (not garage and cabana bathrooms; we’re not the Gates family :D )
Anthem amplifier with Room Correction software to power Martin Logan speakers
77” OLED TV
Geothermal
32kw battery for house and upgraded solar
New SubZero fridge and Miele DW
Farm to table restaurants
Tesla Model X
Eat lots of eggs, but only local pasture raised
DarnedTough Socks, but haven’t yet tried the really pricey ones (woohoo!)

Cleaners, plowers, mowers, handyman, pooper scoopers, etc., but we still can’t seem to pay for business class flights (I’m closer than DW) other than flights to Asia.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:40 am

Enough pairs of these to wear every day of the week:

Ex OFficio Men's Give N Go Boxer

https://www.exofficio.com/give-n-go-box ... ar#start=1

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:06 am

bluebolt wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:40 am
Enough pairs of these to wear every day of the week:

Ex OFficio Men's Give N Go Boxer

https://www.exofficio.com/give-n-go-box ... ar#start=1
That wasn't lifestyle creep for me but I have 10 or so (found a great sale) and used them to replace everything else. Great quality items.

Cheers

jabbahop

Post by jabbahop » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:57 am

When we lived all year in vermont... Radiant floor heat (warm feet all winter) and heated garage (no cold car in the morning). Now it is snowbirding so can enjoy outdoors all year long.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:58 pm

jabbahop wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:57 am
When we lived all year in vermont... Radiant floor heat (warm feet all winter) and heated garage (no cold car in the morning). Now it is snowbirding so can enjoy outdoors all year long.
Love Radiant heat floors.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

sandorclegane

Post by sandorclegane » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:23 am

Lifestyle creeps we've enjoyed:

* California King size bed; room for tossing and turning spouses and/or breastfeeding babies. needy toddlers, etc.

* Instacart/Doordash/Uber Eats

* Replaced grunky white tile with missing grout with Formica countertop; replaced cheapest-thing-at-Home-Depot dishwasher with an $800 Bosch; plus, new deeper kitchen sink (get a deeper sink you'll love it!)

* Order new furniture from Living Spaces as needed; they deliver and set it up, no assembly required

* Husband hired a "black car SUV" to drive the family to and from BIL's house for Thanksgiving overnight visit four hours away in a remote area; the relaxation of just zoning out from door to door was fabulous.

jabbahop

Post by jabbahop » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:16 am

One other that was a temporary creep but probably the best money we ever spent.

A night nurse for the first 3 months when my wife had twins and had a 3 year old. 5 nights a week she would handle feedings (pumped milk) from midnight to 7am. One of the kids had reflux so couldn’t sleep more than an hour or two at a stretch. This was a big expense for us at the time but getting a few extra hours of sleep every night made a ton of difference.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Size of house :
In 1985 we went from 1250 sqft to 1750, then in 1987 to 2500 sqft and a very nice town with a very good school system, and stayed there.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:26 pm

What has made us happier?

- A house on the water, instead of living in an urban area.

- Trips to tropical locations, and staying at nice hotels with maid service.

- Owning jet skis. What's the joke? I've never seen an unhappy person riding a jetski? ;)

- A dishwasher.

- A housekeeper, once per month, to do the deep cleaning.

- A Lexus. Rides quieter and softer than my pre-spinal-surgery car. ;)

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:39 pm

We are renting. We decided this year to put our cars at the garage under the ground. We are paying way more, but we don't have to worry anymore of snow removal at the morning.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather