"Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
MisterBill
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:57 am

bgf wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:53 am
i just signed in and was for the first time prompted to make the change. so, when you log into your credit card account, you'll know whether it is active or not. a big pop window will be there telling you.
Yes, ditto. It's about time!

Update - only 2 of my 3 accounts got converted. I'm currently on vacation and have 2 of the 3 cards with me. Of course the one that isn't converted yet is one I have with me and had planned to use for dining. I already changed the other one I have to travel but if I'd realized I wasn't going to be able to change both today I would have made it dining. Ugh.
Last edited by MisterBill on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
indexfundfan
Posts: 2385
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:21 am
Contact:

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by indexfundfan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:06 am

scrabbler1 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:52 am
I am not seeing the option to change the Rewards categories. Maybe it is being rolled out on a staggered basis, so I will see it in another day or so. My CC statement closing date is the 20th, so it would be nice to be able to change the option by the time the next cycle begins.
When I made the change, it says it is active on the same day. Thereafter, you can change it on the 1st of every month (next change date is 2/1).
My signature has been deleted.

deanmoriarty
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:19 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by deanmoriarty » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:46 am

Just got activated today into the new rewards.

I also just requested online a new cash rewards credit card (I currently have two cash rewards + one travel rewards + one old amex with BOA) so that I could get a permanent 5.25% in one more category, and was told that my application can't be accepted and will receive a letter in the mail.

I assume it's because I have too many cards with BOA already? I have high income, credit score in the 790s, lifted my credit, only opened one more credit card with another bank in the past 24 months, and have been a loyal BOA customer (checking + merrill edge) for a good 10 years now.

User avatar
indexfundfan
Posts: 2385
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:21 am
Contact:

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by indexfundfan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:01 pm

deanmoriarty wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:46 am
Just got activated today into the new rewards.

I also just requested online a new cash rewards credit card (I currently have two cash rewards + one travel rewards + one old amex with BOA) so that I could get a permanent 5.25% in one more category, and was told that my application can't be accepted and will receive a letter in the mail.

I assume it's because I have too many cards with BOA already? I have high income, credit score in the 790s, lifted my credit, only opened one more credit card with another bank in the past 24 months, and have been a loyal BOA customer (checking + merrill edge) for a good 10 years now.
I guess they are particularly "vigilant" about people having multiple cards so that they have multiple permanent 5.25% categories. LOL.
My signature has been deleted.

MisterBill
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:02 pm

deanmoriarty wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:46 am
Just got activated today into the new rewards.

I also just requested online a new cash rewards credit card (I currently have two cash rewards + one travel rewards + one old amex with BOA) so that I could get a permanent 5.25% in one more category, and was told that my application can't be accepted and will receive a letter in the mail.

I assume it's because I have too many cards with BOA already? I have high income, credit score in the 790s, lifted my credit, only opened one more credit card with another bank in the past 24 months, and have been a loyal BOA customer (checking + merrill edge) for a good 10 years now.
That's surprising that they outright rejected it. You can try calling one of these numbers that I posted earlier to see if they will reconsider. In my case, my application was not approved but it also was not rejected. I called and managed to get it approved (long story, posted previously):

Regular: 866-865-7842
Senior (for Preferred Rewards customers): 800-667-1867

MisterBill
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:03 pm

indexfundfan wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:01 pm
I guess they are particularly "vigilant" about people having multiple cards so that they have multiple permanent 5.25% categories. LOL.
Not unless it just changed. I already had 2 accounts and got approved for a 3rd at the beginning of the month.

User avatar
wildungar2000
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:41 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by wildungar2000 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:11 am

MisterBill wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:51 am
wildungar2000 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:03 pm
Can anyone confirm if they have had Ebay work for them in the Online category? I'm about to make a large purchase for an auction I won and would like to get the 3% instead of 2% from my Fidelity card.
Saw on DOC that ebay did not qualify for online shopping.
I tested it myself and ebay does qualify for 3% cashback. On the checkout screen I paid with a credit card directly, not with a credit card through paypal. This is very good news for me.

User avatar
cookymonster
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:22 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by cookymonster » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:30 am

I went with online shopping. Seems like this could be pretty lucrative since the terms and conditions make it sound like pretty much any online store would qualify. I will try, for instance, to use Walmart online pickup for groceries rather than just shop in the store (something I probably should do anyway). Only downside is that this negates my strategy of buying gift cards at Kroger to pick up rewards and Fuel Points.

It's a pretty easy call for me to choose that over gas since my Chase Freedom card has gas in the 5% category through March, and I don't drive much anyway.

MMLC3
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MMLC3 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:03 am

Checked mine this morning and was able to pick the category. I went with online shopping for now.
Gas is moot for me, with an electric car :D

Thank you again to OP for finding this out!

scrabbler1
Posts: 2297
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by scrabbler1 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:42 am

I just got activated yesterday. For now, I'll stay with 3%-gas because my annual car maintenance is coming up this week and it is eligible for the 3% even though I don't actually buy gas.

User avatar
jeffyscott
Posts: 7594
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:50 am

MMLC3 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:03 am
Checked mine this morning and was able to pick the category. I went with online shopping for now.
Gas is moot for me, with an electric car :D

Thank you again to OP for finding this out!
I got an email today and picked online shopping also. I already get at least 4% on gas and 3% on travel, dining, and groceries from other cards. Our "drugstore" is Meijer, which counts as grocery.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

MisterBill
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:43 am

So, the statement for my new card closed, and I am finally able to select the 3% category.

User avatar
Halfvolley
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:41 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by Halfvolley » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:17 pm

Here's what I chose:

Cash Rewards - Online Shopping
MLB - Restaurants
SGK - Travel

For a fourth 5.25 card, hopefully I can add the WWF card in a few months once I'm clear of the 2/3/4 hurdle. It will also be nice to get another $350 bonus. :moneybag

When I was approved for the the SGK card, they lowered my Premium Rewards limit to 5k. I called and asked them to reallocate the limit more evenly among my four cards; the rep asked all kinds of demographics questions and then ultimately told me I was denied (probably because my credit was frozen). With Chase and AMEX, this process was so easy in the past (no credit pull, no questions)-- shame on me for assuming BOA was the same.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3888
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by munemaker » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:13 pm

indexfundfan wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:01 pm
I guess they are particularly "vigilant" about people having multiple cards so that they have multiple permanent 5.25% categories. LOL.
Based on my experience, I would say BOA is the opposite of vigilant.

Last year, I received a mailing for the Cash Rewards card and applied for the opening bonus. Then, a short time later, while my first application was being processed, I receive another mail offer for the same card. So I think: If you are going to send me two offers, I will respond to two offers. So I apply for the same card a second time and guess what? I received two Cash Rewards cards with different account numbers. Scored the opening bonus on both of them. From time to time, I thought about cancelling, but never got around to it. Now I am glad I have them. DW has a MLB card so we can have three permanent 3% (in our case) categories.

I tried the same trick with TD bank on multiple mail offers for the same credit card. Did not work there. Received a snail mail letter saying that I already have that card.

User avatar
Slick8503
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:25 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by Slick8503 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:27 pm

Please post data points/info regarding whether Walmart online grocery is counted as online purchase. We use this option almost exclusively now for our groceries and it would be great to save 5.25% for groceries on a card with no annual fee! Thanks in advance.

MMLC3
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MMLC3 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 am

anyone knows whether property tax payment on credit card will qualify under "Online" category? Seems like a stretch but just checking...
since I have chosen "online" as my category, wondering if I will get the 3% :D (in which case paying by credit card vs eCheck will make a lot of sense, given convenience fees)

Looking4Answers
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by Looking4Answers » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:25 am

Also wondering about Tracfone.

User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by dodecahedron » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:58 am

Nifty discovery!

It appears that some purchases can count in more than one category.

When I looked at my ¨history¨ on the page that provides info to support my choice of my new category, I discovered that my purchases of public transit credit to my ¨smartcard¨ via my public transit system´s online interface could have been counted in EITHER the BoA ¨travel¨ category OR the BoA ¨online shopping¨ category.

User avatar
jeffyscott
Posts: 7594
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by jeffyscott » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:12 pm

MMLC3 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:21 am
anyone knows whether property tax payment on credit card will qualify under "Online" category? Seems like a stretch but just checking...
since I have chosen "online" as my category, wondering if I will get the 3% :D (in which case paying by credit card vs eCheck will make a lot of sense, given convenience fees)
There's a list of exclusions on their site. I believe I saw it when logged in, they had links for "more info" or something like that for each category.

I'm pretty sure taxes were excluded. I think it also said it was limited to online retail purchases or something like that, as general description prior to getting to the specific list of exclusions.

I think I ran across this when clicking around as if choosing or changing category.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

danaht
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:28 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by danaht » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:04 pm

I wish I could make gas 2% and the grocery/department store option 3%. But, it seems that the grocery is a permanent 2% category that cannot be changed. So, the new options are good - just not good enough for me to may any changes.

NewOldGuy
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:37 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by NewOldGuy » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:17 am

danaht wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:04 pm
I wish I could make gas 2% and the grocery/department store option 3%. But, it seems that the grocery is a permanent 2% category that cannot be changed. So, the new options are good - just not good enough for me to may any changes.
Yes, without the preferred honors bonuses, the card is just average at best. Waiting to qualify the 90 days, hopefully by next statement.

User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by dodecahedron » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:29 am

danaht wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:04 pm
I wish I could make gas 2% and the grocery/department store option 3%. But, it seems that the grocery is a permanent 2% category that cannot be changed. So, the new options are good - just not good enough for me to may any changes.
Groceries are a 5% category for Discover Card this quarter. (And for me they are a 10% category. For reasons unknown, Discover contacted me last April and offered to double all my Discover cash back for the next 12 months on one of my two Discover cards.)

So I am charging all my groceries to Discover this quarter and will probably stock up on some grocery staples before the quarter ends, particularly if I see any opportunistic sales.

After the quarter ends, I will go back to using my BoA Cash Rewards for groceries, since 2% translates into 3.5% with the Platinum Preferred bonus.

focusedonwhatmatters
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:49 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by focusedonwhatmatters » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:37 pm

Does anyone know if this BoA Cash Rewards Card has something similar to the Citi Price Rewind for product purchases? I can't find anything about that on their website.

Thanks in advance,

fowm

Looking4Answers
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by Looking4Answers » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:04 pm

focusedonwhatmatters wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:37 pm
Does anyone know if this BoA Cash Rewards Card has something similar to the Citi Price Rewind for product purchases? I can't find anything about that on their website.
fowm
According to this website, they do not.

https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-card- ... -policies/

MisterBill
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:13 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:29 am
Groceries are a 5% category for Discover Card this quarter. (And for me they are a 10% category. For reasons unknown, Discover contacted me last April and offered to double all my Discover cash back for the next 12 months on one of my two Discover cards.)

So I am charging all my groceries to Discover this quarter and will probably stock up on some grocery staples before the quarter ends, particularly if I see any opportunistic sales.
Buy some grocery store gift cards before the end of the quarter as well, to use next quarter.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 3888
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by munemaker » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:51 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:29 am
For reasons unknown, Discover contacted me last April and offered to double all my Discover cash back for the next 12 months on one of my two Discover cards.)
I know a little bit about this. Discover apparently found that their customers prefer cash back over the other benefits associated with their CC. As a result, they offer double the cash back for one year on new accounts. They seem to be going through the existing accounts and offering the same deal: double the cash back for a year. We have two cards. They offered it to us on one card, and a little while after that 1 year period ran out, they offered it to us on our other card. Really liked that!

algorithm
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:53 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by algorithm » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:39 am

focusedonwhatmatters wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:37 pm
Does anyone know if this BoA Cash Rewards Card has something similar to the Citi Price Rewind for product purchases? I can't find anything about that on their website.

Thanks in advance,

fowm
No, BoA cash rewards card does not have a feature that is similar to Citi Price Rewind. I wish it had it. That would be great!
Uber Visa card has something similar to Price Rewind.

https://www.hotpersonalfinance.com/maxi ... dit-cards/

algorithm
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:53 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by algorithm » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:46 am

deanmoriarty wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:46 am

I also just requested online a new cash rewards credit card (I currently have two cash rewards + one travel rewards + one old amex with BOA) so that I could get a permanent 5.25% in one more category, and was told that my application can't be accepted and will receive a letter in the mail.
You can try to ask them to convert your existing old BOA amex to the cash back card instead of applying for a new one. BOA allows a product change without pulling credit. A product change also keeps the same account history in the credit report.

www.hotpersonalfinance.com

Looking4Answers
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by Looking4Answers » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:13 pm

Just did a chat with Bank of America. They confirmed ebay for getting the 3% for online purchases. But it seems that any payments made through Paypal will not get the online rewards, because they are a "third party processor".

MMLC3
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MMLC3 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:52 am

Could someone remind me if there is a limit on $$ spent for this customizable 3% category?

User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:55 am

MMLC3 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:52 am
Could someone remind me if there is a limit on $$ spent for this customizable 3% category?
Combined limit of $2,500 per quarter in spending on groceries (at 2%) and the customizable (at 3%) category. Any excess over $2,500 per quarter in those two categories combined get 1% credit.

Topic Author
b0B
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by b0B » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:46 pm

Halfvolley wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:17 pm
For a fourth 5.25 card, hopefully I can add the WWF card in a few months once I'm clear of the 2/3/4 hurdle. It will also be nice to get another $350 bonus. :moneybag
If they give you a card, it'll be $150 bonus, not $350.

And don't forget 24 month rule in addition to 2/3/4.

MisterBill
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:54 pm

b0B wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:46 pm
Halfvolley wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:17 pm
For a fourth 5.25 card, hopefully I can add the WWF card in a few months once I'm clear of the 2/3/4 hurdle. It will also be nice to get another $350 bonus. :moneybag
If they give you a card, it'll be $150 bonus, not $350.
In theory, $225 assuming they still apply the 75% PR multiplier to the sign-up bonus. If anyone can confirm that, please post. I'm a couple of weeks away from hitting my required spend.

Topic Author
b0B
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by b0B » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:33 pm

MisterBill wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:54 pm
b0B wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:46 pm
Halfvolley wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:17 pm
For a fourth 5.25 card, hopefully I can add the WWF card in a few months once I'm clear of the 2/3/4 hurdle. It will also be nice to get another $350 bonus. :moneybag
If they give you a card, it'll be $150 bonus, not $350.
In theory, $225 assuming they still apply the 75% PR multiplier to the sign-up bonus. If anyone can confirm that, please post. I'm a couple of weeks away from hitting my required spend.
$150*1.75=$262.50
$150*1.5=$225

But they've changed their system, (multiplier applies at time of spend, not redemption, and they did a one-off multiplier application to unredeemed rewards) and I very strongly doubt the multiplier applies to the sign-up bonus any more. You can let us know what happens with yours.

MisterBill
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:04 pm

b0B wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:33 pm
But they've changed their system, (multiplier applies at time of spend, not redemption, and they did a one-off multiplier application to unredeemed rewards) and I very strongly doubt the multiplier applies to the sign-up bonus any more. You can let us know what happens with yours.
They're applying the bonus when the rebate is posted to the account. So it's certainly reasonable to think it would apply to the $150 as it does with normal spend.

Others applied for new cards so perhaps they card report back. I just asked on DOC.

And yeah, I should have known that 150 x 1.75 = 262.50 (from the Preferred Rewards card rebate). Oops.

frankandbeans
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:55 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by frankandbeans » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:16 pm

I am fairly certain that the PR bonus won't apply to the $150 signup bonus given their revision to the way the bonus is applied (time of post instead of time of redemption). I hold their Premium Rewards card and the PR bonus was not applied to that card's signup bonus.

MisterBill
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:18 pm

BTW for anyone who has inadvertently incurred a foreign transaction fee on this card, I have a story from my daughter. She's booking a trip to Thailand and gave her travel agent this card to use. It turns out that some of the internal flights she booked were with a foreign airline and she got hit with the FTF. My daughter called BofA and they said that because she was a good customer (Platinum Honors level), they would refund the FTF's!

She subsequently applied for the Travel Rewards card for their trip.

pshonore
Posts: 6505
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by pshonore » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:32 pm

frankandbeans wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:16 pm
I am fairly certain that the PR bonus won't apply to the $150 signup bonus given their revision to the way the bonus is applied (time of post instead of time of redemption). I hold their Premium Rewards card and the PR bonus was not applied to that card's signup bonus.
What revision? I was told not to request the "rewards bonus" until I had the appropriate fund balance for three months. When I did, I got $350 (in early January). $200 bonus for spend and the 75% match for platinum honors equals $350

Topic Author
b0B
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by b0B » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:38 pm

pshonore wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:32 pm
frankandbeans wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:16 pm
I am fairly certain that the PR bonus won't apply to the $150 signup bonus given their revision to the way the bonus is applied (time of post instead of time of redemption). I hold their Premium Rewards card and the PR bonus was not applied to that card's signup bonus.
What revision? I was told not to request the "rewards bonus" until I had the appropriate fund balance for three months. When I did, I got $350 (in early January). $200 bonus for spend and the 75% match for platinum honors equals $350
You probably got in before the changeover (mid Jan). I'm sure there'll be many datapoints soon of what happens to bonuses received after the changeover.

Trism
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by Trism » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:38 pm

I am pessimistic, but I am hoping that this indicator determines whether a purchase qualifies as online shopping or not.

This example clearly is, but on a different Bank of America card some transactions I wouldn't expect to see flagged this way are... like our HOA payment.

Image

User avatar
indexfundfan
Posts: 2385
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:21 am
Contact:

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by indexfundfan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:46 pm

I think "Online Transaction = Y" is a requirement but not sufficient condition to put it into the Online Shopping category.

Some reported examples:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit- ... ons-2.html
My signature has been deleted.

MisterBill
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:13 pm

Trism wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:38 pm
I am pessimistic, but I am hoping that this indicator determines whether a purchase qualifies as online shopping or not.

This example clearly is, but on a different Bank of America card some transactions I wouldn't expect to see flagged this way are... like our HOA payment.

Did the charge post or is that just the authorization? You can see how many points you got in the Rewards section once it posts.

Trism
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by Trism » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:45 am

MisterBill wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:13 pm
Trism wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:38 pm
I am pessimistic, but I am hoping that this indicator determines whether a purchase qualifies as online shopping or not.

This example clearly is, but on a different Bank of America card some transactions I wouldn't expect to see flagged this way are... like our HOA payment.

Did the charge post or is that just the authorization? You can see how many points you got in the Rewards section once it posts.
I just changed the 3% rewards category to Online Shopping at the beginning of the month, and since then four transactions have posted.

PayPal (Ebay purchase), Amazon and B&H Photo all had the Online=Y flag in the transaction detail, and the rewards posted at 3% + the Preferred Rewards bonus.

As expected, a dry cleaner charge was Online=N and paid 1% + Preferred Rewards bonus.

I am trying to figure out if a couple of transactions on my Travel Rewards card would have counted as Online Shopping if I had put them on the Cash Rewards card instead. The HOA payment on the Travel Rewards card shows Online=Y.

BashDash
Posts: 630
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by BashDash » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:03 pm

Will a 150$ bonus I got in mail for pga Bank of America card get the preferred rewards 75% bonus?

mighty72
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by mighty72 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 pm

BashDash wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:03 pm
Will a 150$ bonus I got in mail for pga Bank of America card get the preferred rewards 75% bonus?
I have a cash rewards and got 75% on the 200$ sign up bonus

Topic Author
b0B
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by b0B » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:36 pm

Everything expected has qualified as "Online Shopping" (i.e. things that are literally Online Shopping).

But paying for school meals online did NOT qualify as "Online Shopping", but DID say "Online Transaction: Y", so "Online Transaction: Y" need not imply that it's "Online Shopping".

MisterBill
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:00 am

viz wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 pm
BashDash wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:03 pm
Will a 150$ bonus I got in mail for pga Bank of America card get the preferred rewards 75% bonus?
I have a cash rewards and got 75% on the 200$ sign up bonus
And just to be clear, did the $200 bonus post AFTER they had switched to the new system and applied the 75% bonus to the points you had already earned?

spacecadet610
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by spacecadet610 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:49 am

viz wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 pm
BashDash wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:03 pm
Will a 150$ bonus I got in mail for pga Bank of America card get the preferred rewards 75% bonus?
I have a cash rewards and got 75% on the 200$ sign up bonus
My statement closed last week and did not get the 75% on top of the $200 sign up bonus

mighty72
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by mighty72 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:56 pm

spacecadet610 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:49 am
viz wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 pm
BashDash wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:03 pm
Will a 150$ bonus I got in mail for pga Bank of America card get the preferred rewards 75% bonus?
I have a cash rewards and got 75% on the 200$ sign up bonus
My statement closed last week and did not get the 75% on top of the $200 sign up bonus
ok, my bad. we have 2 cards. they credited the 75% bonus for all rewards which were earned but not redeemed when they switched to the new rewards program. they did not give 75% bonus on 200 on the new card

MisterBill
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:58 pm

spacecadet610 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:49 am
My statement closed last week and did not get the 75% on top of the $200 sign up bonus
That's disappointing. I guess I should have gotten one and done the required spending before the switchover. Still worth it for the $150 (reduced amount this year) and having a 3rd 5.25% category.

Post Reply