filling small holes in metal, exterior.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fru-gal

filling small holes in metal, exterior.

Post by fru-gal » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 am

I had a storm door replaced, and that left the metal (aluminum?) surround with some visible screw holes in it that I'd like to fill and paint over.

I've been searching for exterior putty metal on the web, and nothing leaps out at me as the best choice. I read about Bondo, but it gets mixed reviews and apparently needs stuff mixed into it, the packaging breaks, etc.

Is there some simple product that does this? What I had in mind was leveling it off in the small holes and after it cures painting over it.

Thank you.

mancich

Re: filling small holes in metal, exterior.

Post by mancich » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:55 pm

You might try some paintable silicone caulk. Squeeze a bunch into each hole, then use a very small putty knife or the edge of an old credit card to smooth it as best you can. It might work. Good luck

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:56 pm

What does your friendly local auto body shop use?

Check out youtube.com for some videos.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

edge

Post by edge » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:11 pm

bondo probably

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:14 pm

JB Weld
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

PVW

Post by PVW » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:22 pm

If the frame for the storm door is a hollow tube, fill the holes with expandable spray foam (e.g., Great Stuff). After it dries, use a utility knife to remove any squeeze out and then sand the area smooth. Painting over spray foam will have a different appearance, but won't be too noticeable with small holes. If it doesn't look good enough, then drill out a little of the spray foam and fill the holes with paintable caulk. Remove any excess caulk before it dries.

Expandable spray foam is very expandable, so start with very small amounts and be careful not to get it on any other surfaces as it's difficult to clean up.

If the frame is a piece of angle aluminum that is directly attached to wood behind it, then you can fill it with paintable caulk.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:32 pm

I put screws in the empty screw holes. IMHO it often looks better than caulk or other fillers.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:14 pm
JB Weld
+1 If you aren't familiar with this stuff, it comes in two tubes connected with one plunger so you just squirt a little out on a piece of cardboard, mix until combined and fill the holes. It will harden very hard like metal, can be sanded flush and accepts just all painting finishes.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:35 pm

All of the above should work (silicone caulk, bondo, epoxy). If it were me it might depend on what was on hand.