Protecting vinyl plank floor from sofa

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dp102288

Protecting vinyl plank floor from sofa

Post by dp102288 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:33 pm

I need advice.

Been remodeling home. Time to schedule sofa delivery. Living room has 6mm vinyl plank flooring.

What to put between the sofa & floor? Nothing? Felt? Rubber? Scrap rug?

Desire:
Avoid easy accidental movement of sofa.
Avoid scratches on floor.

Undesired:
Anything that will break down or become sticky on the floor due to time & weight, heat, humidity, summer/winter temperature changes.

I though about a rubber backed area rug. But will the rubber begin to break down & stick to the vinyl?

A scrap piece of rug. But will that plastic-y rough backing scratch the floor? And be too slip prone?

Felt? Too slippery?

Any ideas?

Sandtrap

Re: Protecting vinyl plank floor from sofa

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Padded super sliders.
They come in a kit at Walmart, etc.
Solid smooth base for carpet and padded for hard floors.
Have in all our furniture. Works great.
https://smile.amazon.com/Supersliders-4 ... rs+sliders

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:41 pm

^^^ +1

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:54 pm

Super sliders are exactly what the OP does not want. They make furniture SLIDE easier. OP said they want to avoid accidental moving of the sofa...

OP, if the bottom of the legs are wood, I think you would need nothing. If they are metal, you might. You can buy felt pads with adhesive in different sizes at most big box stores. Floor protection section is quite large.
Avid user of forums on a variety of interests - financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair and more. Enjoy learning and passing on knowledge.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:12 pm

We bought clear plastic feet to go between the couch legs and the floor. They are very unobtrusive, about 1/2 " high, the couch leg fits inside. They protect our oriental carpets.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:53 pm

Can you see the legs or does the sofa have a skirt?

If it's near a wall you can put slats of wood (or flooring) matching the floor, between the sofa legs and a wall. That stops the sofa sliding in one direction, but it's often the most important direction.

If the flooring is easily replaced (e.g. a snap together floating floor) if I did not intent to move the furniture I would consider drilling holes and put round gliders on the legs so the sofa is effectively socketted. Make sure you have spare flooring if you do this.

IMO

Post by IMO » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:19 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:53 pm
If the flooring is easily replaced (e.g. a snap together floating floor) if I did not intent to move the furniture I would consider drilling holes and put round gliders on the legs so the sofa is effectively socketted. Make sure you have spare flooring if you do this.
Replacing boards on floating floors isn't easy and has issues, and I personally wouldn't advise that.

Just use some thin felt pads under the couch feet. Very inexpensive, can find these at Walmart, Lumbar liquidators, and even at some dollar stores. Using a couple small pads vs a larger pad should provide protection and also provide enough friction to not have the couch easily moved.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:15 pm

IMO wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:19 pm

Replacing boards on floating floors isn't easy and has issues, and I personally wouldn't advise that.
I've done it a couple of times. No doubt it depends on exactly which system you have, but I found it not much more difficult than sending a rug out for dry cleaning. In both cases the majority of work was removing all the furniture.

IMO

Post by IMO » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:26 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:15 pm
IMO wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:19 pm

I've done it a couple of times. No doubt it depends on exactly which system you have, but I found it not much more difficult than sending a rug out for dry cleaning. In both cases the majority of work was removing all the furniture.
I don't know, I just don't think the typical person can do this (it's not rocket science by any means):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDVCgu7VltA vs. sending out an area rug to be dry cleaned.

But I'll just leave that as a difference of opinion. :D

Topic Author
dp102288

Post by dp102288 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:45 pm

Thank you everyone for the replies.

It's a sectional, with recliners. I don't there there will be legs. I think it's metal rails. But I don't know for sure.

Which is why I was thinking an area rug or something.

I have tons of extra vinyl flooring planks left. I was gonna put some pieces under the sofa, as a sacrificial layer. But too slippery.

And since I'm having the sofa delivered & assembled, I want it ready, waiting for them. Trying to avoid having to lift pieces to get something under there once the delivery people are gone.

Replacing my kind of planks is not easy. Click lock style. Can't get just one piece up without sawing a plank in half. Then getting a new one in, with the tongue & groove, doesn't go well. Don't ask me how I know.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:36 am

dp102288 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:45 pm
Thank you everyone for the replies.

It's a sectional, with recliners. I don't there there will be legs. I think it's metal rails. But I don't know for sure.

Which is why I was thinking an area rug or something.

I have tons of extra vinyl flooring planks left. I was gonna put some pieces under the sofa, as a sacrificial layer. But too slippery.

And since I'm having the sofa delivered & assembled, I want it ready, waiting for them. Trying to avoid having to lift pieces to get something under there once the delivery people are gone.

Replacing my kind of planks is not easy. Click lock style. Can't get just one piece up without sawing a plank in half. Then getting a new one in, with the tongue & groove, doesn't go well. Don't ask me how I know.
We bought runner rugs at Costco and cut them to size to fit under the rails of the recliners. Fortunately we found a runner that was very similar to the color of our vinyl plank flooring. They were about $10 per rug. One rug per recliner.

We put felt pads on all the other furniture.

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:04 pm

We’ve been careful to put fuzzy/sticky pads under all furniture legs including dining room chairs. The chairs are sometimes drug into the living room which has laminent flooring.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:33 pm

dp102288 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:45 pm
With floating floor you don't take one piece up. Start at the correct edge and take the whole floor up until you get to the board(s) you need to replace and then relay everything. It's not entirely trivial, but I've done most of a 15x20 room in about an hour. It's like LEGOs, click, click, click, ... .

You may have something different, where the planks are nailed or glued. In that case you need to patch it the way you did -- the same way you'd patch a traditional hardwood floor.