Leased car, but no statements for monthly payment

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Leased car, but no statements for monthly payment

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:27 am

I leased a Honda the beginning of January. Got all the paperwork from the dealer, got permanent registration from the state 10 days later but I haven't received an invoice for the second month's payment.

I went to Honda Finance and entering my VIN into the system I am told that there is no record of the vehicle. I have called the dealer twice looking for a way forward and have been told I will get a callback, which hasn't happened.

Any ideas what might be going on here, did I win an unannounced contest, free lease for 3 years? :)
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

bloom2708

Re: Leased car, but no statements for monthly payment

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:23 pm

Do you have the lease paperwork? Did you make the first payment with the signed paperwork?

Does the paperwork mention the day of the month for the payment? Or timing of the first payment due?

I don't think you are going to get a free car. You could have paid the Feb payment with the down payment. That would mean you might not get a statement until the end of February/early March.

It will probably be in the mail today or tomorrow because that is how it generally works for me. Start to dig in and there it is.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

Topic Author
TheGreyingDuke

Re: Leased car, but no statements for monthly payment

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:06 pm

Finally got Honda Financial on the phone (efforts to log in with the VIN were not successful).

After a bit of sleuthing, I was told that they in fact had the title (good) but that the dealer had yet to submit the necessary paperwork. I was assured that there was no consequence i.e. late payment for me.

This was a zero down lease, by the way, all was rolled into the lease payment.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells