Satellite radio pricing ridiculousness

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
madbrain

Re: Satellite radio pricing ridiculousness

Post by madbrain » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:08 pm

I think the most annoying thing about SiriusXM is that they have a 24 hour line for activations, but limited hours for cancellations.
And of course, you can only cancel by phone, not online. I have been doing that dance for a while. I just cancelled again after a new charge posted yesterday on my credit card. I had a refracture on my ribs and am unable to drive currently. I told them so. They didn't try to sell me another satellite package this time. They still tried to sell me the streaming (internet) package, but I declined. The cancellation call took 12 minutes overall.

segfault

Post by segfault » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:37 pm

4nursebee wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:21 am
My willingness to pay for satellite radio greatly diminished during the free trial. I had no idea they had commercials! I am not willing to pay for them shoving crap over the airwaves. If they got rid of ads perhaps I would consider.
IIRC, only a few channels have commercials - it was part of their lawsuit settlement with Clear Channel, I think. Some of the DJ chatter on some of the commercial-free channels is just as annoying, IMO.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:46 pm

segfault wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:37 pm
4nursebee wrote:
My willingness to pay for satellite radio greatly diminished during the free trial. I had no idea they had commercials! I am not willing to pay for them shoving crap over the airwaves. If they got rid of ads perhaps I would consider.
IIRC, only a few channels have commercials - it was part of their lawsuit settlement with Clear Channel, I think. Some of the DJ chatter on some of the commercial-free channels is just as annoying, IMO.
Of the 8 or so channels I sometimes listen to, I think only the music channels are commercial-free. Everything else has commercials.

spartanap

Post by spartanap » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:06 pm

catdude wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:54 pm
I'm in semi-annual call mode. Every six months I call and tell them I want to cancel, and they offer me another six months for $30. At that rate the service is just barely worth it.
+1

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:05 am

4nursebee wrote:
Ads depend on the channel. Many channels have no ads at all. Some Sirius original content (e.g. Howard Stern) have ads. Some content is imported from other sources (e.g. CNN, CNBC) and have ads, although the simulcast radio ads on satellite are not necessarily the same as the native ads.