HVAC contractor did the work, still no bill

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
motorcyclesarecool

HVAC contractor did the work, still no bill

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:00 am

We had a gas space heater replaced in November. The company that did it hasn’t sent us a bill. In January as we were taking care of bills, we realized that we hadn’t paid anything for it, and could not find a bill. We called the company. They indicated it was their mistake, and that they would issue a bill, but still nothing. We’re hoping to sell our house in spring, and we don’t want any loose ends fouling up the deal.

How do I induce them to send me a bill? I’m thinking of sending a certified letter with return receipt next, in which we ask them to bill us. Any suggestions?

The last time we had work done by this company they billed us promptly and we paid promptly.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

tainted-meat

Re: HVAC contractor did the work, still no bill

Post by tainted-meat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:07 am

The local trades companies where I am (HVAC, plumbing, etc) all ask for payment on the spot after finishing the work.

I would call again and ask for a bill, or if they are local just stop in and let them know I’d like to settle up what I owe. They’ll probably be happy to see you.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:31 am

I’d send the CMRRR in writing requesting the bill as you suggest and then leave it alone. It’s no longer your responsibility if you’ve notified them twice.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:40 pm

This happened to me once too with an arborist. But I got billed then in the new year after they probably did their taxes.

IMO

Post by IMO » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:15 pm

motorcyclesarecool wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:00 am

How do I induce them to send me a bill? I’m thinking of sending a certified letter with return receipt next, in which we ask them to bill us. Any suggestions?
Seems like you might call and ask to speak to either the owner or a manager. Let them know you are moving and that if this can't be resolved, they might never get paid!

Appreciate seeing a post about someone trying to do the morally/ethically right thing.

J295

Post by J295 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:52 pm

Something like this won't foul up a real estate sale .... easy to handle whenever it pops up. Write them a second time then the ball remains in their court.