Fidelity as a one stop shop

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
yeahman

Re: Fidelity as a one stop shop

Post by yeahman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:42 am

In my experience, Schwab offers by far the best consumer experience. Unfortunately, they don't offer an HSA or MM as overdraft.

I too have had issues with Fidelity and ACH transfers. If it triggers a fraud alert as it had for me, good luck with customer service. They do not have a uniform verification process in place. So now I use Schwab as an intermediary "hub" checking account if I have to move money around. Fidelity seems to play okay with Schwab and Schwab ACH transfers don't cause any problems.

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:28 am

As I was driving home from a meeting the other day, I realized there is a Fidelity Bank. Their website is lionbank.com, but the name is Fidelity Bank.

I had seen them around before and never paid attention to the name. Smaller banks seem to be a dime a dozen in Georgia.

I opened a CMA to use as a checking account, but I decided it would be best to store my emergency fund there. I can put money in a MM account and if an emergency hits, I can either use a debit card, get cash from an ATM, or write a check and it will be pulled from the MM automatically. A little better savings return than a standard brick-and-mortar savings account (maybe less than online savings accounts, but I have easier access to funds).

tfb

Post by tfb » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:34 am

I have used Fidelity CMA for over 10 years now, with money going in and out in all directions: checks deposited, checks paid, ACH pushed out, ACH pulled in, direct debits, direct deposits and ACH pushed in, bill pay, ATM withdrawals, wire transfer, .... I never had any problems. Other than keeping in mind that ACH pulled in has a few days of hold, everything works as expected if you keep a cushion and don't try to keep the balance too close to zero.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

Capricorn51

Post by Capricorn51 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:53 am

tfb wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:34 am
I have used Fidelity CMA for over 10 years now, with money going in and out in all directions: checks deposited, checks paid, ACH pushed out, ACH pulled in, direct debits, direct deposits and ACH pushed in, bill pay, ATM withdrawals, wire transfer, .... I never had any problems. Other than keeping in mind that ACH pulled in has a few days of hold, everything works as expected if you keep a cushion and don't try to keep the balance too close to zero.
true for me as well.

Cash

Post by Cash » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:23 pm

rainb0w88 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:51 pm
because they use a few of other banks, for Cash Management Account, can we schedule for bill pays as a bank checking account does? how many payments we can do per month from the Cash Management Account?
From the end user’s perspective, you shouldn’t really notice which banks Fidelity is using for your cash. The bill pay works like bill pay should. I am not aware of a limit on payments that can be scheduled.

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:36 pm

Had the Fidelity Cash Management account since its inception in 2012. I have never encountered any transactions that failed.
My signature has been deleted.

yogesh

Post by yogesh » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:43 pm

Fidelity seem to have mastered the one stop shop without compromising on feature set. I have been very pleased with consolidation and features. Besides mortgage we have everything at one place for beneficiary or custodian or trust to manage easily.

Checking: FDIC sweep ($1,250,000 limit), ATM cards, ATM fee refund, free checks, free bill pay, direct deposit, mobile deposit, overdraft
Savings: FDIC sweep, brokered CDs, CD ladder, bond ladder, auto-roll, money market prime, government, treasury, municipal bonds
Credit: 2% cashback (even more if you direct to 529/IRA), $0 annual fee, transactions/balance view, auto-payment, auto-cashback
Brokerage: 0% ER index funds, 0 minimums, no transaction fee, automatic investment, automatic withdrawal, mobile trade/transfer
IRA/401/529: Low fee target retirement index funds, 0% ER index funds, retirement calculators, excellent customer service
Emergency: FDIC | Taxable: VTMFX | Retirement: TR2040

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:57 pm

b0B wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:19 am
ThriftyPhD wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:28 pm
b0B wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:26 pm
My experience with Fidelity bank was terrible. Many transactions from other banks failed to go through. The Fidelity reps are hopeless, as they cannot explain anything about what happened, and they claim they cannot even see the transactions, so they cannot address anything.
It sounds like you tried to do something from a different bank (perhaps tried to transfer money into the Fidelity CMA), and that failed. Since you were taking an action at the other bank, it sounds like the issue was with the other bank, not Fidelity.

If I tried to transfer money from my credit union account into Fidelity and it failed, and Fidelity had no record of it when I called, I'm not sure what I would expect them to do either. My concern would be with the local credit union. The Fidelity rep wouldn't know why a 3rd party bank you use isn't working.

Did you try PULLING money from within Fidelity? That's worked flawlessly, and is how I would first try to fund the account.
"Many transactions from [many] other banks failed to go through." It's Fidelity that is the problem. They're the common point of failure. And the customer reps are totally clueless. They seem too dim to realize they need to escalate it to someone that has access to more information. They just type up responses based on guesswork and generalizations. There's no way for the customer to get through to someone competent and informed.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you're also a common component of all of those failed transactions.

Since many here have zero issues transferring money into and out of their Fidelity CMA, the answer might be that you're doing it incorrectly. And if you're only ever initiating the transfer using an external banks interface to PUSH money into Fidelity, rather than using Fidelity's interface to PULL money from the external bank, you can't blame Fidelity for not knowing why it didn't work. Did you call your 3rd party bank and ask them why they're unable to transfer money?

Please reread this question:
ThriftyPhD wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:28 pm
b0B wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:26 pm
My experience with Fidelity bank was terrible. Many transactions from other banks failed to go through. The Fidelity reps are hopeless, as they cannot explain anything about what happened, and they claim they cannot even see the transactions, so they cannot address anything.
Did you try PULLING money from within Fidelity? That's worked flawlessly, and is how I would first try to fund the account.

lstone19

Post by lstone19 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:13 pm

ThriftyPhD wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:57 pm
Please don't take this the wrong way, but you're also a common component of all of those failed transactions.

Since many here have zero issues transferring money into and out of their Fidelity CMA, the answer might be that you're doing it incorrectly. And if you're only ever initiating the transfer using an external banks interface to PUSH money into Fidelity, rather than using Fidelity's interface to PULL money from the external bank, you can't blame Fidelity for not knowing why it didn't work. Did you call your 3rd party bank and ask them why they're unable to transfer money?
I have to wonder if the problem isn't the obvious: failure to properly follow Fidelity's instructions for the bank routing number and account number when initiating transfers from an external financial institution.

I don't have a CMA with them but I have done externally initiated ACH transfers to/from my brokerage accounts in the past with never a problem (but not for many years - easier to initiate everything from the Fidelity end since they will reliably post the next day so long as it's initiated before market close).

NoDoubt

Post by NoDoubt » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:27 pm

Based on all the great information in this thread, I'm seriously considering moving to Fidelity. I currently rely heavily on the mobile deposit feature to deposit checks from my rental property business so I need a high mobile deposit limit. Does anyone know if the Fidelity CMA account has high mobile deposit limits as compared with other institutions? I know the limits vary by person, but I've found Ally Bank to be far more generous with limits than Wells Fargo, etc. (although they have increased lately).

snowman

Post by snowman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:34 pm

tfb wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:34 am
same here; I would add that I also like how Fidelity establishes new ACH connections. I don't need to wait several days for 2 small deposits etc. The whole process takes maybe 2-3 minutes longer up front, but I can start moving money immediately. Very cool!

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:25 pm

NoDoubt wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:27 pm
Based on all the great information in this thread, I'm seriously considering moving to Fidelity. I currently rely heavily on the mobile deposit feature to deposit checks from my rental property business so I need a high mobile deposit limit. Does anyone know if the Fidelity CMA account has high mobile deposit limits as compared with other institutions? I know the limits vary by person, but I've found Ally Bank to be far more generous with limits than Wells Fargo, etc. (although they have increased lately).
My mobile deposit limit is $100k daily.
My signature has been deleted.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:10 pm

yogesh wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:43 pm
Credit: 2% cashback (even more if you direct to 529/IRA)
Could you elaborate on this? I was not aware that you could get more than 2% cash back.

drk

Post by drk » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:34 pm

mptfan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:10 pm
Could you elaborate on this? I was not aware that you could get more than 2% cash back.
Presumably because of tax-free earnings.

Cash

Post by Cash » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:44 pm

indexfundfan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:25 pm
NoDoubt wrote:
Mine is $200k

yogesh

Post by yogesh » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:47 pm

drk wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:34 pm
mptfan wrote:
Yes. 2% cashback automatically deposited to ROTH IRA or 529 instead of taxable accounts.
Emergency: FDIC | Taxable: VTMFX | Retirement: TR2040

Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:48 pm

yogesh wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:47 pm
drk wrote:
mptfan wrote:
Yes. 2% cashback automatically deposited to ROTH IRA or 529 instead of taxable accounts.
A cash back deposited into a Roth IRA will be counted towards the annual contribution limit, won't it?
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

Cash

Post by Cash » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:40 am

I got an e-mail from Fidelity about security features and saw one that I had never noticed before: Money Transfer Lockdown. It looks like you can now click a button, select one or more accounts, and prevent most outbound money transfers.

The explanation screen says that it will not prevent the following:

Deposits or Transfers into your Fidelity accounts
Checkwriting and Direct Debit
Debit card/ATM transactions
Trading
Scheduled Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) or Personal Withdrawal Scheduled Plan
BillPay

Seems like this would be most useful for preventing unauthorized withdrawals from a brokerage account that does not have checkwriting or a debit card associated with it. Keep most money there and a smaller amount in a CMA account (which is what I do).

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:36 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:48 pm
yogesh wrote:
drk wrote:
mptfan wrote:
A cash back deposited into a Roth IRA will be counted towards the annual contribution limit, won't it?
Yes. No way around the max cap on contributions.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:41 am

I appreciate every single post here, you guys helped me to take a decision. I decided to move my Roth's to Fido, while leaving my Taxable (Prime MM fund 100%) at Vanguard (for now). I was confident to pull the trigger because of the assuring posts here. I will miss some things in Vanguard though, I still feel that its menus and color scheme are better than Fido, or may be just I am not used to Fido yet.. I really liked Fidelity CS and their availability. I usually have questions to CS people, and it is nice to find someone there at Sundays to answer them!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

lstone19

Post by lstone19 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47 am

Cash wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:40 am
I got an e-mail from Fidelity about security features and saw one that I had never noticed before: Money Transfer Lockdown. It looks like you can now click a button, select one or more accounts, and prevent most outbound money transfers.
And, as I just discovered, it also stops in-kind Roth conversions (no cash involved) between Fidelity accounts. I tried twice, it failed, turned off Money Transfer Lockdown for the t-IRA, and then it worked.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Cash wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:44 pm
indexfundfan wrote:
NoDoubt wrote:
Mine is $200k
Mine is $50k for the CMA account and $50k for the brokerage account. I wonder how they set the limits.
lstone19 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47 am
Cash wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:40 am
And, as I just discovered, it also stops in-kind Roth conversions (no cash involved) between Fidelity accounts. I tried twice, it failed, turned off Money Transfer Lockdown for the t-IRA, and then it worked.
Good to know. Very useful feature.
Last edited by mervinj7 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:23 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:17 pm
Cash wrote:
indexfundfan wrote:
NoDoubt wrote:
Mine is $200k
Mine is $50k for the CMA account and $50k for the brokerage account. I wonder how they set the limits.
I just opened CMA, limit is only $10k. Probably because i am a new customer

tj

Post by tj » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:33 pm

yogesh wrote:
drk wrote:
mptfan wrote:
Still don't see how that makes the cash back more than 2%.

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:05 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:17 pm
Cash wrote:
indexfundfan wrote:
Mine is $200k
And mine is $500k for both CMA and brokerage! Anyone want to send me a check to try it out?

BTW I also just noticed that they have a Send Money with Paypal feature. I had not noticed that before.

jpsfranks

Post by jpsfranks » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:01 am

MisterBill wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:05 pm
BTW I also just noticed that they have a Send Money with Paypal feature. I had not noticed that before.
As far as I can tell this feature does not do anything useful beyond just linking to Paypal. After asking for the recipient and amount it just redirects to a browser where you log into Paypal to complete the transaction. It does not appear to magically integrate with your Fidelity accounts; after logging in the funding sources for the transfer are only those that I already had linked to Paypal anyway, which do not include any of my Fidelity accounts.

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:39 am

Sending money with PayPal took days. Better to use Venmo. Venmo has a $3k weekly limit though, compared to $10k/transaction for PayPal. Really wish Fidelity would implement Zelle.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:02 am

yeahman wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:39 am
Really wish Fidelity would implement Zelle.
Zelle transfers money between banks, Fidelity is not a bank.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 am

lstone19 wrote:
. . .

So you can transfer say 100 shares of the Fidelity Total Stock fund in a rollover IRA directly to the Roth IRA not cash out, move cash, repurchase funds? Of course this transaction would be subject to income tax.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:30 am

jpsfranks wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:01 am
MisterBill wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:05 pm
As far as I can tell this feature does not do anything useful beyond just linking to Paypal. After asking for the recipient and amount it just redirects to a browser where you log into Paypal to complete the transaction. It does not appear to magically integrate with your Fidelity accounts; after logging in the funding sources for the transfer are only those that I already had linked to Paypal anyway, which do not include any of my Fidelity accounts.
Thanks, I had not actually tried it. That is disappointing. One bank I have an account with does let you transfer directly from Paypal and it's almost immediate.

lstone19

Post by lstone19 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:00 pm

radiowave wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 am
lstone19 wrote:
. . .

So you can transfer say 100 shares of the Fidelity Total Stock fund in a rollover IRA directly to the Roth IRA not cash out, move cash, repurchase funds? Of course this transaction would be subject to income tax.
I'm not at all sure what you're trying to say. All I was saying is if you have Money Transfer Lockdown on, you cannot do in-kind conversions from a t-TRA to a Roth IRA even though no cash is involved in that transaction and it's between Fidelity accounts. I was not "cashing out" - just making a t- to Roth conversion. Any issues of income tax due on it is separate from this.

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:52 pm

mptfan wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:02 am
yeahman wrote:
But it has an ABA routing number and the CMA account operates as a bank account. So unless the issue is that the organization that operates Zelle will not accept a company that is not a bank, I'm not sure that the distinction is important.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:35 pm

Thanks for this thread and all who posted. I am moving all of my banking and brokerage from USAA to FIDO. Might take a few months to test drive FIDO before I move everything, but it will be moved. The only thing I will keep with USAA is my insurance and my 2.5% unlimited cash back card.
Don't do something, just stand there!

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:32 pm

MisterBill wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:52 pm
mptfan wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:02 am
yeahman wrote:
But it has an ABA routing number and the CMA account operates as a bank account. So unless the issue is that the organization that operates Zelle will not accept a company that is not a bank, I'm not sure that the distinction is important.
This is from the Zelle website as a response to the question "What is Zelle?"...

Zelle is an easy way to send money directly between almost any U.S. bank accounts typically within minutes. With just an email address or mobile phone number, you can quickly, safely and easily send and receive money with more people, regardless of where they bank.

The Fidelity CMA is not a bank account, so it makes sense that you cannot use Zelle to transfer money to or from that account. Operating as a bank account is not the same as being a bank account.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:35 pm

mptfan wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:32 pm
The Fidelity CMA is not a bank account, so it makes sense that you cannot use Zelle to transfer money to or from that account.
Zelle works with any account with a US routing and account number, including the CMA and brokerage. It's just an ACH transfer behind the scenes and in some cases the banks will float you the amount to make it appear instant.
Last edited by arf30 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:38 pm

mptfan wrote:
The Fidelity CMA is not a bank account, so it makes sense that you cannot use Zelle to transfer money to or from that account. Operating as a bank account is not the same as being a bank account.
External transfers from Fidelity are processed by UMB Bank. Besides Morgan Stanley isn't a bank but works with Zelle.

ERguy101

Post by ERguy101 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:02 pm

corn18 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:35 pm
Thanks for this thread and all who posted. I am moving all of my banking and brokerage from USAA to FIDO. Might take a few months to test drive FIDO before I move everything, but it will be moved. The only thing I will keep with USAA is my insurance and my 2.5% unlimited cash back card.
I'm in the same boat, contemplating the same move. It looks like insurance can be setup to autodraft on the USAA website from an external bank account (fidelity.) It should all work. Just feels weird leaving USAA!

corn18

Post by corn18 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:59 pm

ERguy101 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:02 pm
corn18 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:35 pm
I'm in the same boat, contemplating the same move. It looks like insurance can be setup to autodraft on the USAA website from an external bank account (fidelity.) It should all work. Just feels weird leaving USAA!
It does feel weird. I’ll move all my investments first as they are all FIDO funds anyway. Then I’ll put enough cash at FIDO to start moving all the checking and bill pay stuff. I won’t miss the .000000001% checking interest rate.
Don't do something, just stand there!

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:48 pm

Epic thread! Fidelity customer already. I am going to open a Fidelity CMA. Couple questions:

1. Can checks be deposited in person at local Fidelity offices? I see upthread they can be mobile deposited or mailed in.

2. What is the best way to move funds directly between Fidelity and Vanguard? Do I also need to set up a VanguardAdvantage account? I currently use ACH with my B&M bank as intermediary, but I’d like to reduce my transfer time/steps.

3. Looks like the auto collision coverage offered by the Fidelity Visa is secondary coverage. Anyone have experience with a claim?

Thanks!
Last edited by HomeStretch on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emlowe

Post by emlowe » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:04 pm

https://www.fidelity.com/customer-servi ... s-overview

"I Want To Deposit money into an account
Deposit a check by mobile device, U.S Mail, or bring it to a branch
"

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 pm

arf30 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:35 pm
mptfan wrote:
The Fidelity CMA is not a bank account, so it makes sense that you cannot use Zelle to transfer money to or from that account.
Zelle works with any account with a US routing and account number, including the CMA and brokerage. It's just an ACH transfer behind the scenes and in some cases the banks will float you the amount to make it appear instant.

That is true. However, one end of the Zelle transaction have to be a bank that supports it. So Fidelity could be one end but the other would have to be a Zelle bank. The list is here: https://www.zellepay.com/get-started

BTW one thing not mentioned is that Fidelity offers free outgoing wire transfers, which can be even better than Zelle. However, the receiving bank may charge for it. And of course you'd need to know the account # for the person you're sending money to.

ERguy101

Post by ERguy101 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:04 pm

Question, I finally opened the Cash Management Account w Fidelity.

So it lists "CASH MANAGEMENT" as an account on the left. There is a default CORE position with no money. Do I basically just move, lets say, $10,000 into that account, then I buy $10,000 worth of SPRXX? Or should the money market account be in a separate brokerage account? I'm confused because I want to set it up so that withdrawals are from the $0 account, and deposits would be made directly into a money market account. I have found the part where I can set the default account for overdraws to a money market account.

Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:20 pm

ERguy101 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:04 pm
Question, I finally opened the Cash Management Account w Fidelity.

So it lists "CASH MANAGEMENT" as an account on the left. There is a default CORE position with no money. Do I basically just move, lets say, $10,000 into that account, then I buy $10,000 worth of SPRXX? Or should the money market account be in a separate brokerage account? I'm confused because I want to set it up so that withdrawals are from the $0 account, and deposits would be made directly into a money market account. I have found the part where I can set the default account for overdraws to a money market account.
I think you mean money market fund not "account"
In the CMA, you have to buy the fund yourself. So many data points here confirms that the fund shares will be sold automatically to cover any debits (bill pay, checks..etc), but I haven't yet tested that.
You can alternatively open a brokerage account and change the core fund to be SPRXX (MM fund), but I also haven't tested this option.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:56 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:20 pm
You can alternatively open a brokerage account and change the core fund to be SPRXX (MM fund), but I also haven't tested this option.
I'm not aware that this is an option, to my knowledge the only available options as a core position in the Fidelity brokerage account are SPAXX (Fidelity Government Money Market) and FZFXX (Fidelity Treasury Fund). This information comes from the Fidelity trading FAQ on their website...

What are the investment options for my core position?
Non-retirement accounts
Fidelity Government Money Market Fund (SPAXX), a taxable money market mutual fund investing in U.S. Government Agency and Treasury debt, and related repurchase agreements. Intended for investors seeking as high a level of current income as is consistent with the preservation of capital and liquidity.1,2

Fidelity Treasury Fund (FZFXX), a taxable money market mutual fund investing in U.S. Treasury securities and related repurchase agreements. Intended for investors seeking as high a level of current income as is consistent with the preservation of capital and liquidity.

Taxable Interest Bearing Cash Option (FCASH), a free credit balance and is payable to you on demand by Fidelity. Fidelity may use this free credit balance in connection with its business, subject to applicable law. Fidelity may pay you interest on this free credit balance, and this interest will be based on a schedule set by Fidelity, which may change from time to time. As of December 20, 2018, the interest rate for this option will depend on the balance amount: a balance up to $99,999.99 will have an interest rate of 0.37%, a balance of $100,000 and above will have an interest rate of 0.79%.

Generally speaking, these are the options available to you at the time you open your account. However, certain types of accounts may offer different options from those listed here. Please keep in mind that once your account has been established, you can change your core position to any other option that Fidelity might make available for that purpose.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong, can you select SPRXX as a core position in a Fidelity brokerage acccount?

Topic Author
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:01 pm

mptfan wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:56 pm
BogleMelon wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:20 pm
I'm not aware that this is an option, to my knowledge the only available options as a core position in the Fidelity brokerage account are SPAXX (Fidelity Government Money Market) and FZFXX (Fidelity Treasury Fund). This information comes from the Fidelity trading FAQ on their website...
My apologize. I meant SPAXX

ERguy101

Post by ERguy101 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:18 pm

It appears the core position of a CMA cannot be changed. That is going to be straight cash. So for the auto-overdraft, you have a core position that is SPAXX, etc, in another brokerage account and then it will draw from that. So you have your direct deposits setup for the brokerage account that has SPAXX as its core (this would be nicknamed your Savings account), and then your auto-debits would be setup from the CMA account.

emlowe

Post by emlowe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:43 pm

I think there are two ways here to setup - one of which I know works because I've done it.

1 Account - CMA:
Deposits automatically go into "Cash" (low interest but FDIC)
You have to manually purchase SPRXX (or SPAXX or other MM)
Debits automatically come from "Cash" and from Fidelity MM funds like SPRXX

2 Accounts - CMA + Another Brokerage
SPAXX is your Core account in Brokerage
You use the Brokerage account for Deposits; Deposits automatically go into SPAXX in Brokerage
You use the CMA for debits (check/atm/billpay); Debits from CMA automatically pull from SPAXX in the Brokerage account
You keep relatively minimal money in the CMA cash account

I've used the 2 Account method.

Note in the 2 account method if you wanted to use SPRXX or other MM, you would still need to manually purchase it.

emlowe

Post by emlowe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:49 pm

To set your "CMA Funding Accounts"

Select your CMA account
Select the "Manage Cash" tab
Select "Your Settings" under "Cash Manager" - on my screen it's on the right side
Select "Self Funded Overdraft" and other settings
Click Next
Select your "Funding Accounts"

It's a little obscure, to say the least, but it works well

ERguy101

Post by ERguy101 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:02 pm

emlowe wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:43 pm
I think there are two ways here to setup - one of which I know works because I've done it.

1 Account - CMA:
Deposits automatically go into "Cash" (low interest but FDIC)
You have to manually purchase SPRXX (or SPAXX or other MM)
Debits automatically come from "Cash" and from Fidelity MM funds like SPRXX

2 Accounts - CMA + Another Brokerage
SPAXX is your Core account in Brokerage
You use the Brokerage account for Deposits; Deposits automatically go into SPAXX in Brokerage
You use the CMA for debits (check/atm/billpay); Debits from CMA automatically pull from SPAXX in the Brokerage account
You keep relatively minimal money in the CMA cash account

I've used the 2 Account method.

Note in the 2 account method if you wanted to use SPRXX or other MM, you would still need to manually purchase it.
Sincerely thank you. I think the 2 account way you describe works best because deposits get placed automatically in SPAXX. Sincerely again, thank you.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:02 pm

emlowe, thanks for the information. Does the overdraft feature liquidate other mutual funds (i.e. stock or bond mutual funds) in the brokerage account if there are insufficient funds in the SPAXX?