Passport Photos ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dm200

Passport Photos ?

Post by dm200 »

I need to get a new passport - no rush. My last passport is long expired.

I notice that my local post office has the capability to do the photos. Is there a better and/or less expensive way? Or, just do the most convenient thing and get the photos right there?
student

Re: Passport Photos ?

Post by student »

I always do it at the post office because I will know for sure that it satisfies the requirement.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I did DIY last time around for myself and the kiddo, fairly easy.

http://www.epassportphoto.com/ is a great site that helps verify picture meets the requirments.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I make my own and print them out on my color printer. I realize that many people are way too worried to do this themselves, but it really is not hard if you are already used to printing photos yourself.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

student wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:54 pm I always do it at the post office because I will know for sure that it satisfies the requirement.
My thinking as well. What is the charge?
sport

Post by sport »

Costco does passport photos for $4.99.
https://www.costco.com/Passport,-Perman ... 42614.html
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

It’s free with certain AAA memberships.
student

Post by student »

dm200 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:03 pm
student wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:54 pm I always do it at the post office because I will know for sure that it satisfies the requirement.
My thinking as well. What is the charge?
According to this site, $15.

https://www.travelvisapro.com/blog/how- ... ost-office
drk

Post by drk »

Last time, I had them taken at my local pharmacy. I forget the price, but it was cheap.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

I renewed my passport last fall and used the local Walgreens store. About 5 bucks and she shot several by digital camera and did a nice job getting them into the passport size.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

sport wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:09 pm Costco does passport photos for $4.99.
Yes, the good ole Costco.
MrJones

Post by MrJones »

StevieG72 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:00 pm I did DIY last time around for myself and the kiddo, fairly easy.

http://www.epassportphoto.com/ is a great site that helps verify picture meets the requirments.
I second both points. I place 6 passport photos on a 4x6 and print them out at the local Walgreens or CVS. I think it costs 25cents. It does take up about 30mins of my time. If I had easy access to a $5 deal like Costco, I'd probably pick that.

I've always been amazed how most folks (myself included) want their passport photo to look good, given how little it gets looked at by complete strangers who don't care one bit about anything but the likeness.
6Pack

Post by 6Pack »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:15 pm It’s free with certain AAA memberships.
This is where my wife and I got ours done late last year. Also got some free updated car maps while we were in there.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

This may depend on your region. It used to be this way and we tried last year in the Southwest and were told it was no longer free for any members (after getting it done 3 years prior for free).
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

Your local post office may or may not be a good option.

A few years ago I tried to get mine at the PO. There was only one person there who was authorized to take the photos, and she also had to work the counter for stamps, certified mail, etc. That might sound reasonable, but customers at the counter had priority over passport photos. Every time a new counter customer came in, the photo progress stopped. Ridiculous "customer service."

So, it took a long time, but I got the photo taken there. Not a great picture, but I submitted it with the application. A couple of weeks later it came back rejected. I had had my glasses on, and while that may be permitted, apparently there was glare on the lens or the frame was shielding part of my eyes, or something else was a problem. So much for the PO photographer -- who does this routinely -- knowing how to do it and what's acceptable.

Cheapskate that I am, I went back to the PO to get it re-done for free. Waited again. When it was my turn, I explained the earlier photo and rejection, got an uncooperative reaction from the “photographer” but I had the proof of the rejection with me, of course. So, she took several more photos of me (without glasses this time) before she got one that she thought was good. When she showed it to me, I couldn’t believe it. It was literally the ugliest picture of me I had ever seen. (I know, I know. Like the sign in the Pentagon photo shop said: “If you want a better picture, bring a better face.”) I just accepted the photo, said thank you, walked out, and threw it in the trash.

I went to the Walgreens a quarter-mile from my house, paid a nominal fee, and got a great photo in less than 10 minutes. I submitted it and got my passport with no problem.

YMMV. Good luck!
"Well, she was just seventeen, You Know What I Mean, and the way she looked... was way beyond compare."
spectec

Post by spectec »

Costco, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, etc. Walk in, get the photos taken, walk out. Guaranteed to meet all requirements. Cost is $6 - $12, depending upon which one you choose.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
IMO

Post by IMO »

Agreed. Last time I went to CVS, got some pictures done, but they weren't done correctly at CVS for some minor technicality.
Probably could have asked for a refund, but lost the receipt and just ate the cost. Live and learn....
canderson

Post by canderson »

We have used a dedicated iPhone app and then emailed to/printed for 30 cents at CVS. Never an issue and done this at least 6 times for ourselves and friends.
Ged

Post by Ged »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:17 pm
I went to the Walgreens a quarter-mile from my house, paid a nominal fee, and got a great photo in less than 10 minutes. I submitted it and got my passport with no problem.

YMMV. Good luck!
My mileage at Walgreens was great with no waiting and was accepted on first try
Pranav

Post by Pranav »

livesoft wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:00 pm I make my own and print them out on my color printer. I realize that many people are way too worried to do this themselves, but it really is not hard if you are already used to printing photos yourself.
On a Regular Paper or Glossy Paper?
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki
spectec

Post by spectec »

Incidentally, when getting passport photos made, its a good idea to get a couple of extras and carry them in a safe place with you when you travel. You'll probably never need them UNLESS you lose your passport (or it gets stolen) in a foreign country.

Having those passport photos in hand will vastly speed up the process of getting a temporary replacement passport at a US Embassy or Consulate. Not every foreign country has a place on every corner where you can get a quick photo that will satisfy the US government. In some countries, it's a major hassle to get that simple task done properly (voice of experience here).
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
drg02b

Post by drg02b »

I downloaded a free app on my phone (forget which one) that lined your face up appropriately and then printed a 4x6 at Walgreens for less than $1. It worked, no issues.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

spectec wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:20 pm Costco, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, etc. Walk in, get the photos taken, walk out. Guaranteed to meet all requirements. Cost is $6 - $12, depending upon which one you choose.
+1
DW and I are photographers but didn't want to bother with getting the size and spacing requirements just right.
Kept it Simple.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Pranav wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:01 pm
livesoft wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:00 pm I make my own and print them out on my color printer. I realize that many people are way too worried to do this themselves, but it really is not hard if you are already used to printing photos yourself.
On a Regular Paper or Glossy Paper?
Glossy photo paper is what I've always used. I gotta use the free glossy photo paper that came with the printer for something.
ASpenderInRecovery

Post by ASpenderInRecovery »

Coincidentally, earlier today I got passport photos taken at my local CVS for $15 and they printed out a sheet verifying it meets all passport requirements. Total process took 5 minutes.
khh

Post by khh »

Got mine at a Fedex store. I would guess UPS does this as well.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Don't forget that many visa applications require a photo, too.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

spectec wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:03 pm Incidentally, when getting passport photos made, its a good idea to get a couple of extras and carry them in a safe place with you when you travel. You'll probably never need them UNLESS you lose your passport (or it gets stolen) in a foreign country.

Having those passport photos in hand will vastly speed up the process of getting a temporary replacement passport at a US Embassy or Consulate. Not every foreign country has a place on every corner where you can get a quick photo that will satisfy the US government. In some countries, it's a major hassle to get that simple task done properly (voice of experience here).
What a great idea! Thank you for sharing.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

MrJones wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:36 pm
StevieG72 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:00 pm I did DIY last time around for myself and the kiddo, fairly easy.

I second both points. I place 6 passport photos on a 4x6 and print them out at the local Walgreens or CVS. I think it costs 25cents. It does take up about 30mins of my time. If I had easy access to a $5 deal like Costco, I'd probably pick that.

I've always been amazed how most folks (myself included) want their passport photo to look good, given how little it gets looked at by complete strangers who don't care one bit about anything but the likeness.
I did this also. Spent 15 minutes one time several years ago to create a Photoshop template. Now it's a 30 second exercise to copy & paste it into a 4x6 and have it printed at a pharmacy for $0.25-$0.30.
Ben Mathew

Post by Ben Mathew »

MrJones wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:36 pm

This is how I do it too. Hardest part is getting the lighting so there's no shadow in the background.
Total Portfolio Allocation and Withdrawal (TPAW)
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Ten years ago, I did it myself. Set up the lighting, took the pictures, used photoshop to format according to the guidelines, printed them for $0.17 at Costco, then cut them to size with scissors. They worked fine and looked great.

This time around, we just went to Costco. For $4.99, it’s totally worth it to let them do it.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I did it myself one time and had it rejected. I believe it was because I was smiling. I just go to Costco now.
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

Our local CVS was really, really good about taking pictures of our daughter. She was 2 at the time, and has some special needs that make it very hard for her to sit still and focus directly on something, but she was still subject to the various rules (no smiling, etc). They probably spent 15 minutes trying to get a picture that would work.
TheDoorMan19

Post by TheDoorMan19 »

Walmart and fedex stores are other options...
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

TheDoorMan19 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:05 pm Walmart and fedex stores are other options...
Walmart was the cheapest we found, but I can't remember the price. My GF and my passports were near expiration a couple of years ago, so we went there. The associate who took the photos did not seem like he knew what he was doing. He gave us each two or three shots to choose from. All the versions seemed like they met the requirements posted on the State Department website. (It was easy for me NOT to smile, I just looked at the Walmart sign)

State Department accepted mine - no problem. GF's was rejected for some reason that was not obvious to me, an incorrect margin or something weird like that. Rather than go back and fight for more questionable photos, we went to a camera store who does passport photos and their photos of GF were accepted.

Sometimes the cheapest method is just not the best value.
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

Remember not to smile for the photo. Have had an application for a family member rejected for that. Keep it neutral.
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

3504PIR wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:29 pm Remember not to smile for the photo. Have had an application for a family member rejected for that. Keep it neutral.
This is a weird one from State Department website, travel.state.gov:

Effective November 1, 2016, eyeglasses are no longer allowed in new visa photos, except in rare circumstances when eyeglasses cannot be removed for medical reasons; e.g., the applicant has recently had ocular surgery and the eyeglasses are necessary to protect the applicant's eyes. A medical statement signed by a medical professional/health practitioner must be provided in these cases. If the eyeglasses are accepted for medical reasons:
  • The frames of the eyeglasses must not cover the eye(s).
  • There must not be glare on eyeglasses that obscures the eye(s).
  • There must not be shadows or refraction from the eyeglasses that obscures the eye(s).
EDIT: I copied and pasted from the visa section but the passport section has the same "no glasses" stipulation.
margered

Post by margered »

Ditto my local CVS pharmacy. There was a coupon online. I think the total was about $8.00.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

runner3081 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:05 pm
This may depend on your region. It used to be this way and we tried last year in the Southwest and were told it was no longer free for any members (after getting it done 3 years prior for free).
Free in Michigan, for member and associate member. $5 at Walgreens, and easy.
spectec

Post by spectec »

Jimmie wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:34 pm
3504PIR wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:29 pm Remember not to smile for the photo. Have had an application for a family member rejected for that. Keep it neutral.
This is a weird one from State Department website, travel.state.gov:

Effective November 1, 2016, eyeglasses are no longer allowed in new visa photos, except in rare circumstances when eyeglasses cannot be removed for medical reasons; e.g., the applicant has recently had ocular surgery and the eyeglasses are necessary to protect the applicant's eyes. A medical statement signed by a medical professional/health practitioner must be provided in these cases. If the eyeglasses are accepted for medical reasons:
  • The frames of the eyeglasses must not cover the eye(s).
  • There must not be glare on eyeglasses that obscures the eye(s).
  • There must not be shadows or refraction from the eyeglasses that obscures the eye(s).
EDIT: I copied and pasted from the visa section but the passport section has the same "no glasses" stipulation.
I think the "no eyeglasses" rule is tied to increasing reliance upon biometric facial recognition at, or even prior to entering, Customs & Immigration. Personally I'm OK with that.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

I take my own photos and use a drug store/Target/wherever to print them out on photo paper for 10-20 cents a 4x6 sheet. This holds 6 2x2 photos, and you only need 2 for a passport, so you have 4 spares for visas, replacements, passport cards, etc.

Just follow the state department specifications and there is nothing to worry about. They have a template to follow:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... plate.html

The most important things are ensure the head/photo size is correct, ensure you aren't smiling, and ensure the background is white or near white.

It's really simple to ensure your photos are compliant before you print them. Perhaps in the future you can just submit your photos electronically instead of digital -> hard copy -> digital.

See also, photo examples:
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... mples.html

Best part of taking your own photos is you keep an electronic copy, you do it on your own time, and you don't have to wait or hope for the right person with the right equipment is at some office or store when you are. You can submit your images to a store electronically and pick up on your schedule. That's the big savings for me, although 15¢ vs $8 is nice too. I keep the digital version available to me electronically in case I ever need a new copy during a travel emergency.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

sport wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:09 pm Costco does passport photos for $4.99.
They're definitely cheap. But when I renewed my passport photo the last time, the photos from Costco were rejected due to background color. YMMV, of course. Always good to save money, but given the cost of the passport itself and airline tickets overseas, I'll always do it at the post office from now on when I renew.
Ruger

Post by Ruger »

I just had mine done a month ago at Costco. $4.95 for four photos.
Viking65

Post by Viking65 »

Not necessarily.
We had one made for my son at the PO last summer that was rejected. It was a big hassle because he was in summer camp and needed his new passport at the end of summer. I had to drive 3 hours one way, take him out of camp, find a CVS (not easy in the mountains of New Hampshire) to have a new one taken, and then return him to camp, and drive home. An 8 hour diversion in total.
The CVS picture was fine.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

HueyLD wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:56 pm
spectec wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:03 pm Incidentally, when getting passport photos made, its a good idea to get a couple of extras and carry them in a safe place with you when you travel. You'll probably never need them UNLESS you lose your passport (or it gets stolen) in a foreign country.

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing.
Yup... I never thought about that!

Do the photos need to match the photos on the current (er, lost) passport?

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
spectec

Post by spectec »

No, the most important thing is that the photo matches your current appearance. After all, you're going to have to show up at an embassy or consulate in person, so the person issuing the temporary passport is looking at you. :)

If one's appearance has changed significantly since the passport was issued, they will need to have a fairly recent photo. I generally pop into a CVS or Walgreens and have new passport photos made every couple of years, which I carry while traveling overseas.

EDIT: It's also a good idea to carry multiple copies of your passport in your bags. I also email a password-protected copy of my passport, birth certificate, and drivers license to myself. That enables me to retrieve the info anywhere I can get internet access.

Finally, when getting one's visa validated upon entering a foreign country which requires a visa or entry permit, it's smart to snap a picture of the entry visa and email or text it it to yourself. In countries requiring visas, a lost/stolen passport also means a lost/stolen visa. Depending upon the country, their immigration officials are going to be very interested in knowing that you didn't overstay your visa and are just claiming to have lost the passport as a way of covering up that fact. In those countries, a lost/stolen passport entails dealing with two different bureaucracies with very different policies & procedures. In our case, we were in India. Once we got the replacement passport the official at the US consulate told us they have no influence with the Indian government and we would be on our own in dealing with the Indian Customs & Immigration officials. Some of the truest words ever spoken to me.
Last edited by spectec on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

spectec wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:24 am No, the most important thing is that the photo matches your current appearance. After all, you're going to have to show up at an embassy or consulate in person, so the person issuing the temporary passport is looking at you. :)

If one's appearance has changed significantly since the passport was issued, they will need to have a fairly recent photo. I generally pop into a CVS or Walgreens and have new passport photos made every couple of years, which I carry while traveling overseas.
Thanks again.

We had our most recent passport photos taken at CVS, and it was fast and both were accepted.
My only complaint is that it was even worse than the DMV photo in terms of making me appear, well, I'd sort of hope someone *would* question whether it's really me :wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
spectec

Post by spectec »

As I get older, I'm becoming ever more appreciative of the sign at the Pentagon mentioned in a previous reply' "If you want a better picture, bring a better face."
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

spectec wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:50 am As I get older, I'm becoming ever more appreciative of the sign at the Pentagon mentioned in a previous reply' "If you want a better picture, bring a better face."
Or you can ask the photo taker to do a little bit of photo shopping. In fact, I was in another country and needed to have passport pictures taken. The photo booth owner asked me if I would like some minor photo touch-up to enhance my appearance. It was a very small fee and of course I took the better choice. :wink:
spectec

Post by spectec »

I like that idea. Some people complain that a particular photo doesn't do them justice. Not me. I don't want the photographer to give me justice - I want mercy.