3 year old tires installed (Sam's club). Should I do anything about this?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
oko

3 year old tires installed (Sam's club). Should I do anything about this?

Post by oko »

After reading all these articles about tires should be replaced after 6 years regardless of thread depth, I had my tires replaced today, which only had 25K miles on them (we drive only 4K to 5K/year). When I came home and checked them, I see that they are manufactured in 2016, making them almost 3 years old! These tires were ordered through Sam's club web site and and shipped to the local tire center (i.e. not the ones waiting at the club for 3 years). And this means I need to change them again 3 years later, only at 15K.

I am not sure what to do now. I am beating myself now about why I did not do Michelin at Costco, which was only $100 more expensive. Any recommendations? These are Goodyear tires, mid-range ($120/tire). I'll contact Goodyear tomorrow, but based on the articles they have (which claims there is no evidence about 6-year tire life), I don't have many hopes.

If anyone asking why I changed the tires only at 25K: Although I am very frugal, since my wife drives this car also, if something happened to me or to her because of the tires, I would beat myself to death for not spending $500 for new tires.
SimonJester

Re: 3 year old tires installed (Sam's club). Should I do anything about this?

Post by SimonJester »

oko wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:49 pm After reading all these articles about tires should be replaced after 6 years regardless of thread depth, I had my tires replaced today, which only had 25K miles on them (we drive only 4K to 5K/year). When I came home and checked them, I see that they are manufactured in 2016, making them almost 3 years old! These tires were ordered through Sam's club web site and and shipped to the local tire center (i.e. not the ones waiting at the club for 3 years). And this means I need to change them again 3 years later, only at 15K.

I am not sure what to do now. I am beating myself now about why I did not do Michelin at Costco, which was only $100 more expensive. Any recommendations? These are Goodyear tires, mid-range ($120/tire). I'll contact Goodyear tomorrow, but based on the articles they have (which claims there is no evidence about 6-year tire life), I don't have many hopes.

If anyone asking why I changed the tires only at 25K: Although I am very frugal, since my wife drives this car also, if something happened to me or to her because of the tires, I would beat myself to death for not spending $500 for new tires.
Do you know what week in 2016 they were manufactured? Should be first two numbers of the date code. I would call Sams Club corporate and complain, see what they will do about it. I wonder if the 6 year rule is based on tires out exposed to the elements vs stored in a warehouse.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
squirm

Post by squirm »

6 years and replace tires? I've got tires on a pickup that are almost 20 years old.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I wouldn’t replace tires unless there is visible dry rot or the tread is below 3/32.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Rubber tires age even in storage. No way you should accept new tires that are already 3 years old especially if you don't drive much each year. If you were driving 30k miles a year it would not be a big deal becus ethe tires would be worn out within 6 year recommended age.

Take them back and request new set of same tires that are no more than 12 months old based on manufacture date. If they refuse ask for your money back (hopefully they still have your old tires).

Next time get your tires at Costco but also be sure to specify that any installer or tire seller install a set that is no more than 12 months old. You have to let them know up front or many sellers will will install the oldest set they have in stock.
Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 »

jabberwockOG wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:46 pm Rubber tires age even in storage. No way you should accept new tires that are already 3 years old especially if you don't drive much each year. If you were driving 30k miles a year it would not be a big deal becus ethe tires would be worn out within 6 year recommended age.

Take them back and request new set of same tires that are no more than 12 months old based on manufacture date. If they refuse ask for your money back (hopefully they still have your old tires).

Next time get your tires at Costco but also be sure to specify that any installer or tire seller install a set that is no more than 12 months old. You have to let them know up front or many sellers will will install the oldest set they have in stock.
Good answer, and Point #4 from a major tire manufacturer:
"4. Place the tires in a cool, dry location. A basement or climate-controlled space works best whereas a standard garage, shed or attic often see a wide range of hot and cold temperatures as well as precipitation and humidity. Make sure to store your tires away from things like electric motors, furnaces, switches, and sump pumps because they are sources of ozone.(credit and thanks to ©2019 Continental Tire the Americas, LLC) I have no intention to plug any tire company here, just giving credit where credit is due.

For those of you who cop out on tire safety, in addition to what you like to do to make your driving experience unsafe, please post the city and times you drive, being retired I will be happy to avoid the road, unfortunately my adult children and grandchildren may not be able to do the same. Forum moderators if you have to delete this to keep the peace, feel free to do so. My DW's Mom, and her Honda dealer said she could wait to buy new tires late last fall, however after the first snowfall she changed her mind and did what I suggested for her to do in late Sept. I told DW, it is amazing how smart a SIL can become after a few snowflakes hit the pavement. Our used tires got hauled away once every week, so their old tires may be gone. Six years after build date might be a little conservative, some companies hold to ten years, but twice that is asking for disaster. My mind flashes to the ride failure at the Ohio State fair, 2017, the ride was 18 years old. Hidden corrosion. The victim of the fatality was 18 years old also. I have never been into compromising safety to save money.
Oreamnos

Post by Oreamnos »

Many tire shops won't repair flats in tires that are beyond a certain age (I've encountered several that use 8 years from the mfg date as the cutoff). By getting 3 year old tires, you're potentially limiting your repairability in the future. Just FYI.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

This is odd to me. They prob thought you wouldn't notice.

If it were me? yes, would definitely complain. 2 solutions I'd consider:

1) complete new set (of course)

2) OR, they leave these on the vehicle but refund ~1/2 your $$. Part of me prefers this option. Seems I always catch a nail in a tire in the first year, so, run em then replace in a few years.

On a car/truck running older tires isn't as much of an issue to me as long as they're not dryrotting. On a motorcycle completely different story.

Post the outcome if you would. Thanks.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

squirm wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:16 pm 6 years and replace tires? I've got tires on a pickup that are almost 20 years old.
wow.....hoping you don't keep your underwear that long! :P
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
3dream3

Post by 3dream3 »

Here is an article on old tires and the need to replace... https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance ... tires.html

Specifically, this section applies to your exact situation:

Make Sure You're Getting a "Fresh" Tire
"Just because a tire is unused doesn't mean it's new. In a number of instances, people have purchased "new" tires at retail stores only to find out that they were manufactured years earlier. In addition to having a shorter life on the road, a tire that's supposedly new but is actually old may be past its warranty period.

If you buy tires and soon after discover that they're really a few years old, you have the right to request newer ones. Any reputable store should be willing to make amends. But to save yourself the hassle, check the date before you buy."
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Ive never heard of this "six" year rule for tires. Who makes this stuff up?
camaro327

Post by camaro327 »

From my experience tire stores will not put air in your tires if they are 10+ years old for liability reasons. I’ve never heard a six year rule before.
Trism

Post by Trism »

Fletch

Post by Fletch »

ponyboy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:57 am Ive never heard of this "six" year rule for tires. Who makes this stuff up?
http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tires-ex ... six-years/
Snert

Post by Snert »

Interesting - it's never occurred to me to check the manufacturing date of new tires. I happened to have a set replaced last week on an SUV I bought new in the summer of 2016. I had the original tires replaced because they were getting noisy, but they still had quite a bit of thread left. When I mentioned to the mechanic that it seemed a shame to retire them so soon, he pointed out that they were manufactured in 2015 and he showed me lots of hairline cracks between the threads, indicating dry rot. I was surprised that a new vehicle came with year-old tires and that dry rot was setting in on a garage-kept vehicle in my mild-climate state. Out of curiosity, I just walked out to the garage to check the manufacturing date on the new tires. March 2018, making them about 10-11 months old.
Don't listen to me, I'm just a dog!
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Go back immediately and get them replaced with brand new tires less than 90 days old. If they don't have them, make them order them and note that you will get a full refund and replacement.

I bought a vehicle in 1998. Went to check the spare pressure and found an old, sun-faded tire. Went back and got a new one.

I now check date codes before installation every time.

At 6 years, tires should be inspected yearly. There is no need for replacement until you see cracks, wear gets below 3/32, or you hit 10 years.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

RickBoglehead wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:08 am Go back immediately and get them replaced with brand new tires less than 90 days old. If they don't have them, make them order them and note that you will get a full refund and replacement.

I bought a vehicle in 1998. Went to check the spare pressure and found an old, sun-faded tire. Went back and got a new one.

At 6 years, tires should be inspected yearly. There is no need for replacement until you see cracks, wear gets below 3/32, or you hit 10 years.
So your spare was sun faded? Is it stored in the sun?? None of the spares in my former cars ever saw the light of day beyond the 5 minutes each year it took to check the pressure. BTW I’m not entirely happy that my current ride has no spare....not even a jack.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

neilpilot wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:14 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:08 am Go back immediately and get them replaced with brand new tires less than 90 days old. If they don't have them, make them order them and note that you will get a full refund and replacement.

So your spare was sun faded? Is it stored in the sun?? None of the spares in my former cars ever saw the light of day beyond the 5 minutes each year it took to check the pressure. BTW I’m not entirely happy that my current ride has no spare....not even a jack.
Yes, because either the car manufacturer used an old tire, or more likely the dealer swapped it with one from a vehicle where the spare was on the back. No one could explain it, they swapped with another vehicle.

Flash forward and they were part of the Firestone recall...
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Snert wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:53 am Interesting - it's never occurred to me to check the manufacturing date of new tires. I happened to have a set replaced last week on an SUV I bought new in the summer of 2016. I had the original tires replaced because they were getting noisy, but they still had quite a bit of thread left. When I mentioned to the mechanic that it seemed a shame to retire them so soon, he pointed out that they were manufactured in 2015 and he showed me lots of hairline cracks between the threads, indicating dry rot. I was surprised that a new vehicle came with year-old tires and that dry rot was setting in on a garage-kept vehicle in my mild-climate state. Out of curiosity, I just walked out to the garage to check the manufacturing date on the new tires. March 2018, making them about 10-11 months old.
Not at all surprising. If you bought the truck off the lot, it very well may have been built in 2015, so it would have been impossible to have OEM installed tires newer than 2015. Manufacturers start building for the next model year quite a bit earlier than the beginning of the year. Some next year models show up in dealer lots as early as May of the year before the designated model year.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

And fwiw, tires that sit a lot dry out faster than tires that are used regularly. This comes up frequently on boat forums when discussing boat trailers.
Here's a comment picked at random.

"Tire companies add carbon black to help with UV exposure, and a wax to prevent air exposure. The wax is throughout the tire, and apparently redistributes itself slowly through normal usage - rolling, flexing, and heating and cooling cycles. Tires that are not used typically dry rot faster than tires that are used."
Topic Author
oko

Post by oko »

OP here, thanks for all the suggestions. The tire date is 2816, which makes it July 2016, so the tires are 2 years 7 months old. I'll contact the tire center when they open today. I'll post the progress (if they will do anything about this).

BTW: Here's a link on NTSB's own website about tire aging:

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Docume ... b_Kane.pdf
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I would say this probably isn't something anybody at Sams noticed or knew anything about, just because not enough customers know/care. I bought a spare tire once that was even older than the tires you bought, because I didn't think to ask. Sams seems to be pretty good about customer service so it will be interesting to see if they will accommodate a request to replace them with newer tires.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

ponyboy wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:57 am Ive never heard of this "six" year rule for tires. Who makes this stuff up?
I don't know where you live but here in Arizona the freeways are littered with the tread carcasses of tires that have disintegrated. They are not worn out treads either, they are just the results of old tires plus 100deg+ temperatures.

A real hazard to the driver and any car behind that can't avoid them. They get tossed up into your undercarriage and wreck havoc on brake lines and similar items. We call them "alligators" here.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
Topic Author
oko

Post by oko »

Turbo29 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:19 am
I don't know where you live but here in Arizona the freeways are littered with the tread carcasses of tires that have disintegrated. They are not worn out treads either, they are just the results of old tires plus 100deg+ temperatures.

A real hazard to the driver and any car behind that can't avoid them. They get tossed up into your undercarriage and wreck havoc on brake lines and similar items. We call them "alligators" here.
This is Austin, Texas, probably not as hot as Arizona but hot enough. Rubber aging seems to be especially bad for hot climates.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

oko wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:48 am OP here, thanks for all the suggestions. The tire date is 2816, which makes it July 2016, so the tires are 2 years 7 months old. I'll contact the tire center when they open today. I'll post the progress (if they will do anything about this).

Do what ever makes you happy. I would not do anything unless I had time to waste. Would you really be happier if your tires were only 7 months old, instead of 2 years and 7 months?
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
midareff

Post by midareff »

You bought and paid for new tires, they gave you three year old tires. NOT acceptable. To me.. .. tires are an integral part of a vehicles safety. Wet and dry traction, resistance to aquaplaning and so forth are prime considerations when I replace.... which often means I am at the top of Michelin's food chain. The life I save could be my own.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

The vast majority of the tire carcasses you see at the side of the road are from commercial trucks using retreads. That is a whole other ball of wax than standard passenger car tires that aren't retreaded.
squirm

Post by squirm »

F150HD wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:01 pm
squirm wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:16 pm 6 years and replace tires? I've got tires on a pickup that are almost 20 years old.
wow.....hoping you don't keep your underwear that long! :P
Ten years and counting.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

A real hazard when a tire of a car in front of you explodes? Not necessarily. I once drove on a German Autobahn behind a truck at legal 80 mph, and one of the truck's tires exploded and pieces hit my windshield. No damage to my rental car or the truck, truck did not stop.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

never heard of the six year 'rule' so I googled it:
Carmakers, tiremakers and rubber manufacturers differ in their opinions about the lifespan of a tire. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has no specific guidelines on tire aging and defers to the recommendations of carmakers and tire manufacturers.

Many automakers, including Ford, Nissan and Mercedes-Benz, tell owners to replace tires six years after their production date, regardless of tread life. Tire manufacturers such as Continental and Michelin say a tire can last up to 10 years provided you get annual tire inspections after the fifth year.
But I also buy Michelin, so never been concerned.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance ... tires.html
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Michelin says 10 years, with yearly inspects starting at year 6.

https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/ ... tires.html

Discount Tire says 6 years. https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-safety
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Of course, they have no vested interest in their customers replacing tires more frequently? Hmmmmmm.....
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I would send them back.

The link referring to six year replacement cites a 1984 study. Surely tire materials have improved in the last 35 years.

Michelin says don’t run their tires more than 10 years, but have them inspected at least annually after 5. They'd have more incentive than anyone to recommend earlier replacement.

But a tire certainly could need replacement after only six years due to age. It's important to have them inspected and be cognizant of any changes in performance.

JT
falconsfan

Post by falconsfan »

THY4373 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:28 am

The vast majority of the tire carcasses you see at the side of the road are from commercial trucks using retreads. That is a whole other ball of wax than standard passenger car tires that aren't retreaded.
This is a major misconception. Retreads are used by every major fleet in the country plus fire trucks, airlines and school buses. Studies have shown that the vast majority of 'alligators' are failures caused by under inflation (slow leak, nail, road debris, or poor maintenance). Applies to passenger as well as truck tires.
harrington

Post by harrington »

Of course the tire companies will say replace your tires every 6 years regardless of miles. As long as there isn't visible dry rot it would be a waste to change tire every six years. I was driving a 2003 Buick I inherited last year with the original tires and extremely low miles and my local tire shop checked them and said they are fine.
IMO

Post by IMO »

oko wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:49 pm After reading all these articles about tires should be replaced after 6 years regardless of thread depth, I had my tires replaced today, which only had 25K miles on them (we drive only 4K to 5K/year). When I came home and checked them, I see that they are manufactured in 2016, making them almost 3 years old! These tires were ordered through Sam's club web site and and shipped to the local tire center (i.e. not the ones waiting at the club for 3 years). And this means I need to change them again 3 years later, only at 15K.

Based on safety sites I've reviewed also, 6 to 10 yrs maximum is the advised replacement of any automotive tire.
Ironically, I've always thought about this issue, but always fail to check the actual date of manufacture on new tires that I just bought.

Sam's Clubs are not individual franchises. I would asap, print out a couple of website articles on tire age and head over to the local Sam's Club and speak to a manager. Ask them that you would like to have the tires re-ordered/replaced by a tire that was manufactured within 1 yr (so even a "new" tire 1 year old would in theory only be good 5 to 9 years). Another option is to ask for a pro-rated discount/refund.

On the positive, the tires you got, they were not 3 years old out on the road/elements. Yes there will be some oxidation/weathering/aging occurring at a tire warehouse storage site, but it would not compare to a tire that had been mounted on a car for 3 years. You could use this thought to ask for a prorated discount/refund on your tires as an option.
3 yrs old/9 yrs maximum safe life would be 30% discount.

Best of luck, post how the resolution goes.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Three years seems (to me) to be too old to be reasonable. Even if you go for 10 years vs 6, losing three years does not make sense to me. I would think that 12 months or less should be reasonable.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I just had my tires replaced on my 2006 Outback. I gave the mechanic no instruction as to how new the tires should be (except they should all be the same) and when I got the car home I was pleased to see they’re only sixteen weeks old, made in week 41 of 2018.

I right away noticed the better road feel. And I feel better knowing I’ve done what I can to keep my wife safe. My previous tires were nearly seven years old with 55,000 miles driven.

I’m going to follow the six-year-rule from now on, I can afford to. But it’s likely I won’t keep this car another six years anyway.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 »

Right? :oops:

There is absolutely no need to change tires in any specific time frame. Condition is the only factor.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

You're supposed to replace tires every six years? Why? Is that like you're supposed to throw drugs away the day after their expiration date? That somehow they go from perfectly fine to completely unacceptable overnight?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 »

dknightd wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:21 am
oko wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:48 am OP here, thanks for all the suggestions. The tire date is 2816, which makes it July 2016, so the tires are 2 years 7 months old. I'll contact the tire center when they open today. I'll post the progress (if they will do anything about this).

Do what ever makes you happy. I would not do anything unless I had time to waste. Would you really be happier if your tires were only 7 months old, instead of 2 years and 7 months?
Yes, I would be.

Almost 3 year old tires are unacceptable as “new.”
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I wonder if higher quality tires could/should last longer, safely?
Topic Author
oko

Post by oko »

OP here. I called Sam's Club 10 minutes after they opened. They promised a call back from supervisor, and I finally got the call a short while ago. Here's what he says:

1-They have no control over what tires are/will be sent and they cannot know the tire manufacture date before the tires are sent. If we reorder, we can again get 3 year old tires for the specific model I ordered (I need energy saving tires for my electric car).
2-He cannot do any discounts because "he does not have the authority to do so".
3-Best thing they can do is finding my old tires before they are sent for disposal and re-install the old tires.

He also refused when I told him I can have them replaced at Costco and bring back your tires.

He'll call me back when he finds my old tires. He has not called yet.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

The 6 year rule applies to tires exposed to elements (UV light for example) not to stored tires. Tires don’t go bad in storage, not in such short time at least.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

You are a public danger.
falconsfan

Post by falconsfan »

oko wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:28 pm OP here. I called Sam's Club 10 minutes after they opened. They promised a call back from supervisor, and I finally got the call a short while ago. Here's what he says:

1-They have no control over what tires are/will be sent and they cannot know the tire manufacture date before the tires are sent. If we reorder, we can again get 3 year old tires for the specific model I ordered (I need energy saving tires for my electric car).
3-Best thing they can do is finding my old tires before they are sent for disposal and re-install the old tires.

He also refused when I told him I can have them replaced at Costco and bring back your tires.

You can use any tire that is the correct size. There is no requirement to use energy saving tires. If you ordered something special that could be why they are 3 years old. Take the old tires and your business elsewhere.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

falconsfan wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:46 pm
oko wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:28 pm OP here. I called Sam's Club 10 minutes after they opened. They promised a call back from supervisor, and I finally got the call a short while ago. Here's what he says:

You can use any tire that is the correct size. There is no requirement to use energy saving tires. If you ordered something special that could be why they are 3 years old. Take the old tires and your business elsewhere.
Michelin Defenders are a good replace for Michelin Energy Savers. There is a non-noticeable difference.
Topic Author
oko

Post by oko »

White Coat Investor wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:54 pm You're supposed to replace tires every six years? Why? Is that like you're supposed to throw drugs away the day after their expiration date? That somehow they go from perfectly fine to completely unacceptable overnight?
The worst thing that could happen from using drugs after expiration dates (which BTW is something I always do) is that that Tylenol will not be affective for your headache. The second worst thing that could happen from an aged tire incident is to prepare your wife's and children's funeral. I will leave the worst thing to your imagination :-).

According to this article, just in 2012, there were over 250 incidents due the aged tires with 200+ deaths and 300 injuries.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance ... tires.html
pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 »

If they have treads left and no dry rot, you don't need to replace.

Ask for a partial refund if you are mad at them.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

For what it's worth, I recently purchased high end three year old but unused winter tires for my car at a substantial discount compared to fresh tires. The tires were also OEM equipment for a certain high end Mercedes car and branded as such in all marketing materials, so I assume that most people would think that somehow makes them unsuitable for my significantly less expensive American designed rocketship. The discount was $90 less per tire than fresh comparable tires from the same manufacturer after the "sale" those tires are invariably on. :dollar It's highly likely I will wear them out before they age makes them unsafe. And the tires are fantastic; I'm very satisfied. My rocketship has been made borderline tolerable in this awful weather.

The only problem I would have with receiving three year old tires is that I was charged full retail price. You are receiving less value with older tires. For example, the design has likely changed, so if you have a blowout then you are going to need to purchase at least two tires to match the set on one axle.