What is the easiest way to convert a target retirement account to a 3 fund blend?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
shanebagel

What is the easiest way to convert a target retirement account to a 3 fund blend?

Post by shanebagel » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi everyone! I currently have only a target retirement account in my Roth Ira. I am interested in doing a 3 or 4 fund blend instead, investing in the same funds that the target retirement account does. What is the easiest way to do this? Thanks! :beer

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: What is the easiest way to convert a target retirement account to a 3 fund blend?

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Welcome! I assume you have a target date retirement fund that you want to break into its underlying component funds. Just look at the fund info, which will give you that information.

See the wiki: Approximating Vanguard target date funds (Example of approximating a Vanguard target date fund)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

FiveK

Re: What is the easiest way to convert a target retirement account to a 3 fund blend?

Post by FiveK » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:13 pm

shanebagel wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:40 pm
Hi everyone! I currently have only a target retirement account in my Roth Ira. I am interested in doing a 3 or 4 fund blend instead, investing in the same funds that the target retirement account does. What is the easiest way to do this? Thanks! :beer
Assuming that by "target retirement account" you mean a Target Retirement Funds:
1. Sell the target fund.
2. Buy the funds held by the target fund.

If this is your first time doing it, it really is that simple. If that answer is too simplistic, then I may have misunderstood the question.