Business Class to Japan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Re: Business Class to Japan

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:48 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:30 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:58 pm
head gamez wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:55 pm
02nz wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:45 pm
head gamez wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:07 pm
For a direct flight, you are most likely going to be on JA or one of the US Carriers. Personally, I opt for AA (I am Concierge Key on AA), as I prefer the food offerings to the Asian carriers in J and F. I haven't taken JA to Japan, but have read many reviews stating that the cabin temperature is very warm. That would be a deal breaker for me.

CX is a great airline that I have flown a lot on intra asia routes, but I would not take them long haul just because of the food (not interested in airplane versions of fancy Asian dishes).

... I know... I am in the minority here.
The Asian carriers always have western options, too. They are seldom spectacular, but almost always preferable to the slop that passes for catering on AA. And don't get me started on the difference in FAs.
I knew I was in the minority....

Yes, they have a western option (Ive had it), but the AA usually has two western options :D . The FAs also always treat me like royalty.

The service on CX is amazing though. They manage to serve a full meal on the short hop from HKG to TPE. Ive done that route a LOT of times, and as soon as the 10k bell dings, they are working.

Edit to add... The Pier is the best lounge I have ever been in. Amazing service all the way around.
I don’t have any AA miles anymore. I’ve read Cathay has a really nice lounge, can’t remember whether it’s in Hong Kong or LAX.
The Pier *is* the nicer CX lounge in Hong Kong. The other is The Wing, closer to the check-in area.
:happy

BTW, just in case it's ever of interest, you can purchase AA awards points/miles, for just under 2 cents each.
If you figure out what the F travel on CX would cost if purchased for cash, it's one of the best bargains around.
(Of course, to consider it a *real* bargain, one would need to consider actually PAYING cash, which would be absurd, at least for most of us!).

But as you already mentioned, the difference in points between J and F is often not that much, which is why we try to go for the F when possible, especially on the ultra long-haul.

RM
Thanks, I might look into my AA account and see. I think I can transfer my points to AA also.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:27 am

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:43 am
02nz wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:07 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:50 pm
02nz wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:43 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:08 pm

I’m thinking of eliminating Singapore, hadn’t realized how far South it is from Japan. Originally I was planning 6-hour hop, because I don’t like to sit for long flights. I was planning to do LAX to HNL. Then HNL to New Zealand, then New Zealand to Australia, then Australia to Singapore. But my husband pooed pooed all these ideas, he didn’t want to see these countries, so flying direct to Japan from LAX is the best route. We don’t mind stopping in Hawaii. I’ve been using Google flights, and from Hawaii to Japan maybe about 30 minutes less than LAX to Japan. Surprising from Japan to HNLwas like 6.5 hours. Anyway, we don’t mind stopping in HNL, we go there frequently enough, it’s almost like a second home for us, lol.
OP, it seems like you overlooked pdxgreen's post about Singapore's nonstop flight from LAX to Tokyo. Singapore, JAL, and ANA have the best seat and service among the nonstop carriers on this route, although for me any flat bed, nonstop option is fine for a flight of this length (under 12 hours).

I would not stop over in Hawaii unless you wanted to do so anyway. Hawaiian has an ok business class (seats are flat now, but narrow and lacking in privacy), as a whole it's not anywhere near as good as the Asian carriers.
I’m not overlooking pdxgreen’s post, I’m just realizing that maybe I don’t want to go to Singapore, even though I really want to try the sky suites, actually that’s the only reason I want to fly on Singapore’s, lol, besides it costs me 90,000 points, in the past, it’s much more beneficial to book on Singapore airline, not anymore, they don’t give 15% discount for booking as a member.
What does not wanting to go to Singapore have to do with flying between Los Angeles and Tokyo? Again, Singapore Airlines flies that route nonstop. The flight continues on to Singapore, but it's a "fifth freedom" route so you can absolutely book just LAX-NRT.
Ok, got it. I thought it was LAX to NRT and to SIN. I thought somebody said only Japanese Airlines fly direct to Japan like ANA and JAL.
Does anybody know how many Krismiles is needed for oneway to NRT from LAX in the Sky business suite.
Note that it would never be "only X airline" flies to "home country of X airline", such as the LAX - NRT you just mentioned as an example. There would also be airlines from the "other country" [these international flights do connect two different countries, of course, by definition] that would fly that same route. So from LAX (USA) to/from NRT (Japan), you'd have the Japanese airlines and the USA airlines.

And then there are the few exceptions that are sort of grandfathered in.

Others may have also mentioned it, but I did briefly mention about the "to which countries issue" above:
ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:29 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:41 pm
THY4373 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:34 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:19 pm

I thought about Singapore suites 2 years ago when I had 100k reward points from Amex, but my husband at the time wasn’t keen on going to Japan, so the account was closed. Now he said he wanted to go to a Hong Kong when we go to Japan, so I might think about Singapore suites again. I’m leaning toward open with Cathay Airlines because it has 1:1 transfer directly for my card reward points.

Btw, you mentioned typhoon, which season is best to go to avoid this. I’m thinking I could go before Christmas, Oct-Dec, or after Christmas, Jan-Mar time frame.which season has the most business seats available?
You can use the Cathay (Asia Miles) or British Airways sites to check Cathay award availability. I think you would be very lucky to find anything in 2019 on Cathay as they pretty much sold out everything in 2019 during their fare mistake in early January to/from the US. I haven't looked personally but from what I am hearing there is very little award (or cheaper cash) availability to be had in premium cabins on Cathay. Likely 2020 will be better since that hadn't opened up for sale at time of fare mistake.
Good thing I wasn’t looking for 2019, might be in 2020. I did look on British Airways a few weeks ago and they have some business seats on Japan Airline for Feb-Mar, but I didn’t see Cathay Airline unless I put to fly to a Hong Kong.
Please do start to use the Matrix airline software:

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Then you can very quickly see what routes even exist.
If it doesn't exist, then you won't waste time trying to find awards tickets for that. :wink:

With few exceptions (others here can give more details), airlines can only fly between their "home" country and another country. So, for example, you won't find a United Airlines flight between Singapore and London, or between Toronto and Vancouver.
There are a few exceptions, and I'm forgetting precisely how those rules work. For example, one can fly on CX between NYC and Vancouver, but almost all other flights would begin or end in Hong Kong. That flight continues on to Hong Kong, but one can actually get ticketed for the partial flight.
(Airlines with HQ in larger countries will have more choices that countries with only one major international airport, no surprise. So CX and SIngapore sort of have the fewest "different" routes.)

RM
It was the "with few exceptions..." that I mentioned.

Singapore Airlines from LAX to Japan is one of those exceptions, as is the CX leg from NYC to Vancouver (en route to Hong Kong). There aren't many of them, but they are a good way to get a shorter "leg" on a specific airline you want to fly without going "as far" (as to/from the "home" country) with the few routes/airline combos that exist.

I don't know if there is a contemporary parallel, but I remember when one could fly nonstop from Seattle to Zurich (good old Pan Am, back in the mid-70's). And one could travel between those two cities with a stop in Chicago. People could get on or off in Chicago only if traveling to/from Zurich; one could *not* use that particular flight to fly between Seattle and Chicago, even though physically, such a flight was "possible". It just wasn't "allowed".
I used to encounter that relatively frequently, given I was flying occasionally from Seattle to/from Zurich, and more often from Seattle to/from Chicago, but only rarely between Zurich and Chicago. I didn't then understand "why", however.

And the "fifth flight" issue is still confusing, to me, anyway.
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... LxMAvenkLo
That link also has some lists of those flights, in addition to explanations of them.
-->> As mentioned, this IS a good way to sample some otherwise difficult to use foreign airlines/aircraft without going to the more distant destinations.
But do keep track of which exact aircraft type is used. If you are looking for the "double bed suites" on Singapore, for example, last time I looked, not all of these unusual flights had that particular aircraft. And that of course happens with regular international flights between countries: not all of the routes will use the aircraft with the "best" F accommodations.
That's why SeatGuru comes in very handy (with the usual caveat about how equipment can change, etc.).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:11 pm

A tip to quickly see the full schedule of nonstop flights on any route: type for example LAX-NRT flight schedule (or even replace NRT with TYO if you want to see flights to both Narita and Haneda) into the address/search bar in your browser (with search engine set to Google). Quicker than Google Flights and shows you some flights that may not show up on Google Flights.

One caveat is that this only shows the flight schedule in current effect. So if there's a flight that's only operated in the summer, you won't see it doing this search in February.

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:26 pm

No question in my mind. Singapore Airlines. They fly nonstop to Narita from LAX.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:19 am

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:11 pm
28fe6 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:23 pm
What is this thread actually about? I have flown business class to Japan directly, either to NRT or HND, about 5 times. Flights are available out of Chicago, DFW, SFO, or Minneapolis, and probably Atlanta and NJ. I have gone on Delta, United, and American. What's this thread about? What's this about Cathay, Singapore, Hong Kong... what am I missing?
Which business class seats are best among these Airlines?
It depends on which plane is used on a particular route. I just flew LAX-Singapore nonstop on Singapore's A350, and I did not like the seat. They don't have the ability for the passenger to convert the seat into a bed by pushing buttons like most international business class seats. Instead, the passenger needs to stand up and the flight attendant will manually push part of the seat back forward to form the bed. The bed was extremely uncomfortable (harder than most I have experienced), and there is just a tiny space into which to place your feet, which can only be accessed if you are lying down at a weird angle. The service was great, however, as is the case for most Asian airlines.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:51 am

I've done AA Business Class between DFW and NRT three times, and between HND and LAX once.

All four times I enjoyed the new planes, pleasant service and comfortable lie-flat seats.

Carriers based outside the US have a reputation for a superior product, but I'm not willing to stipulate that AA is on the opposite end of the spectrum without firsthand experience.

Slightly off-topic, but on one of these trips I flew JAL from OKA-HND and it was on par with - but no better than - domestic AA / MCE.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:06 am

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:48 am
Thanks, I might look into my AA account and see. I think I can transfer my points to AA also.
AA has rather few transfer partners for US based folks. Basically Diners Club (and then I think only the corporate cards) and hotel programs and the only hotel program where it might make sense to do the transfer is Marriott/SPG.

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 am

Kennedy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:19 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
28fe6 wrote:
What is this thread actually about? I have flown business class to Japan directly, either to NRT or HND, about 5 times. Flights are available out of Chicago, DFW, SFO, or Minneapolis, and probably Atlanta and NJ. I have gone on Delta, United, and American. What's this thread about? What's this about Cathay, Singapore, Hong Kong... what am I missing?
It depends on which plane is used on a particular route. I just flew LAX-Singapore nonstop on Singapore's A350, and I did not like the seat. They don't have the ability for the passenger to convert the seat into a bed by pushing buttons like most international business class seats. Instead, the passenger needs to stand up and the flight attendant will manually push part of the seat back forward to form the bed. The bed was extremely uncomfortable (harder than most I have experienced), and there is just a tiny space into which to place your feet, which can only be accessed if you are lying down at a weird angle. The service was great, however, as is the case for most Asian airlines.
I flew from LAX to LHR on Airbus A380. It was uncomfortable. The padding is not plush, if I lay flat and sleep I was ok, but on the way back, I sat up the whole time, I was not able to sleep and it was awful.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:32 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:02 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:58 am
Which is a better Airlines to Japan from LAX? I’ve been reading online but can’t really decided. I need to know which airline to transfer my next reward points to. Also my preference is the shortest nonstop route.

Japan Airlines
Cathay Airlines
Singapore Airlines
Cathay is terrific, but I don't believe it flies non-stop from USA to Japan. It would connect in Hong Kong.
Singapore may be similar (no non-stop).

Use Matrix software to see the routing of all major airlines.
You can then also use SeatGuru to look at the seating, and read reviews.

We flew JL to Japan, and - through Hong Kong - CX.
Using points, we had the immense comfort of F, where both were fine, but CX was far beyond, especially the very wide beds (almost twin size).

RM
Planning several trips overseas as well. (Asia)

You have my interest. :happy

CX ??
beds ??
"Matrix" software ???

travel newbie.
j

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:34 am

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 am
Kennedy wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
28fe6 wrote:
I flew from LAX to LHR on Airbus A380. It was uncomfortable. The padding is not plush, if I lay flat and sleep I was ok, but on the way back, I sat up the whole time, Iwas notable to sleep and it was awful.
Flying to Hawaii in a few weeks, First Class on an Airbus with what "Hawaiian Airlines" calls "Cocoons" with lay flat seats. Have a bad spine. What did you not like about the seats? :shock:

thanks,
newbie traveler
j

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:43 am

I did look at some comparisons from flyertalk, and a few other sites. I decided to open Cathay Airline account to transfer my point. The first class seat is very plush, I like it, but I will most likely book with business class because from what I’ve read, very few first class seats are available for booking. I need to book 2 business class seats at the same time, unless I do one first class seat and one business class seat. My husband and I will have to fight over who gets to have the first class seat. Lol
Singapore Airlines business class seats are nice but it costs about 85,000 miles one way, a lot more than Cathay Airlines. I’m still deciding whether to book 2 round trips from Cathay vs one way from Cathay and one way from Alaska Air. Round trip is cheaper than one way, for example one way from LAX to Japan is 70,000 miles vs round trip is 120,000 miles, maybe even 100,000 miles. So if that’s the case, I need to hunt for another credit card to provide the extra miles for one account. Right now I only can come up with 140,000 miles, maybe 150,000 including the spending amount, not just the bonus.

Again, thank you all for your contributions to this thread.

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:47 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:34 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 am
Kennedy wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
28fe6 wrote:
I flew from LAX to LHR on Airbus A380. It was uncomfortable. The padding is not plush, if I lay flat and sleep I was ok, but on the way back, I sat up the whole time, Iwas notable to sleep and it was awful.
Flying to Hawaii in a few weeks, First Class on an Airbus with what "Hawaiian Airlines" calls "Cocoons" with lay flat seats. Have a bad spine. What did you not like about the seats? :shock:

thanks,
newbie traveler
j
I flew first class seat or business class from HNL to PPT, Tahiti. I don’t remember it was comfortable. But what I’ve read online it was positive. So I’m not sure, they changed since. But my flight was very recent like Feb of 2018.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:31 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:32 am
ResearchMed wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Which is a better Airlines to Japan from LAX? I’ve been reading online but can’t really decided. I need to know which airline to transfer my next reward points to. Also my preference is the shortest nonstop route.

Japan Airlines
Cathay Airlines
Singapore Airlines
Cathay is terrific, but I don't believe it flies non-stop from USA to Japan. It would connect in Hong Kong.

Using points, we had the immense comfort of F, where both were fine, but CX was far beyond, especially the very wide beds (almost twin size).

RM

CX ??
beds ??
"Matrix" software ???

travel newbie.
j
Uh, oh... My apologies... I was sloppy without any explanations!

First, Matrix SW:
They have almost all commercial flights.
And you can configure the search page (first page) to force connections through certain cities, etc.
Actually, there are a lot of ways to customize that first page such as restricting to a certain airline (and lots more!), but I haven't bothered to learn that. When the results come back, I sometimes just select one airline (across the top) if we ONLY want that one, but usually we are at least interested in knowing about others.
Note in the very bottom right hand corner, click the highest number so you get a display where you can scroll through ONE page, rather than needing to keep advancing pages.
Also, on the search page, not the box to check if you do not want possibly to need to change airports in one city.
And... I'm not sure the best way to find something like premium economy.
Sometimes I'll open two search windows, one for F and one for J or better.

Finally, there are some oddities, with this and other SW. For example, we CAN fly some routes with connections in a certain class that simply does not show up. But if we go to the airline website, "there it is"... That's rare, however. We also found one time that our travel agent couldn't find a specific and nice low fare *anywhere*, but the special website for DH's employer had it. That isn't always the case, and we've "caught" that "special" website charging more than regular online, so we have to watch that really carefully. (He can book there for me, too, but we need to reimburse, obviously.)

CX = Cathay Pacific Airline.
JL = Japan Airlines.
LHR = London Heathrow Airport.
2 letters for airlines; 3 for airports; I think this is standard (??).
You might want to download a cheat sheet for each (search Google). I still have to look some up if it's a new route we are considering.

As for BEDS... Yes, *BEDS*. :happy :happy
Especially on the premium international carriers.
CX has what might be the widest single seat/bed, at least on some aircraft: 33 inches wide, almost like a twin bed. (The arm rest gets raised, and the bed is wonderfully wide where the shoulders are. Also a hip, where some of us like to curl up like a ball :wink: . And the foot area is almost as wise; no "cubby holes" sized for only tiny feet, etc.
And Singapore has DOUBLE beds. You read that right.
Google for photos.

SeatGuru.com has descriptions of each airline date/flight number seating plans, and they also display each class's seat width and pitch. Pitch is something like distance from point A on one seat to point A on the next row seat, so it can be confusing if legs go sort of diagonal under the row ahead. That's not uncommon except for the very premium airlines F and perhaps J. You can sometimes tell by the diagram.
There are also some photos by SeatGuru users.
READ the (usually limited) reviews there. They are obviously very subjective, but can be quite informative.
Watch out for J seating with missing windows on rare occasions (usually marked).

But be clear: Airlines do change equipment over time, and sometimes at the last minute if scheduling needs require it, etc.
No guarantees about exact seat/bed type.

"FLAT bed" means ... usually truly flat, but sometimes not 100% horizontal.
Angled can mean either flat but not totally horizontal, or slight angle at a bend.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/77-cruise-air/
is very helpful about air travel, as most of it is NOT "cruise specific" (a small amount is).

www.FlyerTalk.com is also very helpful. Sometimes.
I've found it very difficult to navigate.
And... some of the least 'newbie friendly' members around. Just ignore them. It seems to be a bit better these days (?).
That is where you'll get the best information in general, including awards programs (and ticketing), airport lounges, etc.

Enjoy!
And sorry if it's TMI !

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:41 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:31 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:32 am
ResearchMed wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:

Japan Airlines
Cathay Airlines
Singapore Airlines

RM

CX ??
beds ??
"Matrix" software ???

travel newbie.
j
Uh, oh... My apologies... I was sloppy without any explanations!

First, Matrix SW:
They have almost all commercial flights.
And you can configure the search page (first page) to force connections through certain cities, etc.
Actually, there are a lot of ways to customize that first page such as restricting to a certain airline (and lots more!), but I haven't bothered to learn that. When the results come back, I sometimes just select one airline (across the top) if we ONLY want that one, but usually we are at least interested in knowing about others.
Note in the very bottom right hand corner, click the highest number so you get a display where you can scroll through ONE page, rather than needing to keep advancing pages.
Also, on the search page, not the box to check if you do not want possibly to need to change airports in one city.
And... I'm not sure the best way to find something like premium economy.
Sometimes I'll open two search windows, one for F and one for J or better.

Finally, there are some oddities, with this and other SW. For example, we CAN fly some routes with connections in a certain class that simply does not show up. But if we go to the airline website, "there it is"... That's rare, however. We also found one time that our travel agent couldn't find a specific and nice low fare *anywhere*, but the special website for DH's employer had it. That isn't always the case, and we've "caught" that "special" website charging more than regular online, so we have to watch that really carefully. (He can book there for me, too, but we need to reimburse, obviously.)

CX = Cathay Pacific Airline.
JL = Japan Airlines.
LHR = London Heathrow Airport.
2 letters for airlines; 3 for airports; I think this is standard (??).
You might want to download a cheat sheet for each (search Google). I still have to look some up if it's a new route we are considering.

As for BEDS... Yes, *BEDS*. :happy :happy
Especially on the premium international carriers.
CX has what might be the widest single seat/bed, at least on some aircraft: 33 inches wide, almost like a twin bed. (The arm rest gets raised, and the bed is wonderfully wide where the shoulders are. Also a hip, where some of us like to curl up like a ball :wink: . And the foot area is almost as wise; no "cubby holes" sized for only tiny feet, etc.
And Singapore has DOUBLE beds. You read that right.
Google for photos.

SeatGuru.com has descriptions of each airline date/flight number seating plans, and they also display each class's seat width and pitch. Pitch is something like distance from point A on one seat to point A on the next row seat, so it can be confusing if legs go sort of diagonal under the row ahead. That's not uncommon except for the very premium airlines F and perhaps J. You can sometimes tell by the diagram.
There are also some photos by SeatGuru users.
READ the (usually limited) reviews there. They are obviously very subjective, but can be quite informative.
Watch out for J seating with missing windows on rare occasions (usually marked).

But be clear: Airlines do change equipment over time, and sometimes at the last minute if scheduling needs require it, etc.
No guarantees about exact seat/bed type.

"FLAT bed" means ... usually truly flat, but sometimes not 100% horizontal.
Angled can mean either flat but not totally horizontal, or slight angle at a bend.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/77-cruise-air/
is very helpful about air travel, as most of it is NOT "cruise specific" (a small amount is).

www.FlyerTalk.com is also very helpful. Sometimes.
I've found it very difficult to navigate.
And... some of the least 'newbie friendly' members around. Just ignore them. It seems to be a bit better these days (?).
That is where you'll get the best information in general, including awards programs (and ticketing), airport lounges, etc.

Enjoy!
And sorry if it's TMI !

RM
This is awesome!!!!
Exactly the info I was looking for.
You're a "PRO" !!!

mahalo
"world traveler newbie wannabe"
j :D