Crazy lady backs into my car...don't think she will pay me out of pocket

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Jags4186

Re: Crazy lady backs into my car...dont think she will pay me out of pocket

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:03 am

michaelingp wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:23 pm
For those of you who say, "File a police report," exactly how is that done? I live in Maryland, and my understanding was the police were not particularly interested in fender-bender type accidents with no injury and relative low damage, that they would much rather the drivers handled it themselves. The only accident I've had was with a neighbor and there were no police involved, so I'm pretty inexperienced in this area. Are you saying call the police no matter how minor the accident, or is there some other way in your state of "filing a report"? My GEICO instructions say, "Notify police or 911 if applicable", whatever that means.
I don’t know. You call the police to have them come. They then ask you a bunch of questions, ask the other person a bunch of questions, write down what they see and hear and file it. You can go pick it up at the station in a few days.

I suppose you could go to the police station later but that isn’t a police report, that is an incident report because they just have you fill out a sheet of paper of what happened. I don’t really understand the purpose of that other than you “wouldn’t lie to the police”.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:16 am

Pacman wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:34 am
Should I be on the hook for $100K for bumping your Lamborghini?
Yes, you should be responsible for the damage you cause to others’ property. Are we in the Twilight Zone or something? What is going on?

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:39 am

Pacman wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:34 am
toofache32 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:25 pm
Patrick584 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:51 pm
8foot7 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:42 am
Patrick584 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:03 pm
I don’t think it’s fair that someone is liable for multiple days pay because they put a scratch in your fragile car.

It costs you nothing to shrug it off and you would bring great relief to this woman.
I don’t think it’s particularly fair that you think people ought to be able to damage other people’s property and not be responsible for the cost of the damage.

Besides this woman has shown through her evasive actions that she doesn’t deserve “shrugging it off”
Maybe this woman is evasive because she is poor. Sometimes community and compassion can be more important than property rights. Exposing people to liabilities beyond their ability to pay can be unproductive. Their is some personal liability involved with bringing expensive, fragile things into public spaces.
Unbelievable. So the person with the most money should be the loser?
What if you are both poor??
I think Patrick has the right mindset here. The point isn’t to get taken of advantage of, but let little things go and remember it’s just a car. It’s also much less stressful if you are not worried about small dings. His point about bringing expensive things into public spaces and personal accountability is interesting. Should I be on the hook for $100K for bumping your Lamborghini?
So what I’m reading is that you and others think people shouldn’t be responsible for their negligent actions. So if some neighborhood kids are playing with fireworks and “accidentally” burn down your house, I guess that wouldn’t bother you. I mean, after all, who leaves an expensive thing like a house outdoors?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Crazy lady backs into my car...don't think she will pay me out of pocket

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:53 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted, contentious). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.