Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
icedtea
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:12 pm

Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by icedtea » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:29 am

I received two W-2s from my employer. They are identical except one of them says City or Local Reference Copy, and the #s in boxes 12a and 14 are different from the other W-2. How should I handle entering the information into my tax software?

Thanks,
Iced Tea

UpperNwGuy
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:36 am

icedtea wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:29 am
I received two W-2s from my employer. They are identical except one of them says City or Local Reference Copy, and the #s in boxes 12a and 14 are different from the other W-2. How should I handle entering the information into my tax software?

Thanks,
Iced Tea
Go talk to the payroll office at your employer. They need to fix this before you start inputting data into tax software.

livesoft
Posts: 68680
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by livesoft » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:41 am

Does one of them say "Corrected" ????

My spouse received a corrected w-2, then a correction to the corrected W-2, then a corrected to the correction to the corrected W-2. The payroll/HR had to send out a 5 page explanation of their screw ups.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

fabdog
Posts: 801
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 pm
Location: Williamsburg VA

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by fabdog » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:58 am

If you live in a location with city or county taxes that they withheld, then that's what they are showing you on the second W2.

Or if you worked in multiple states on assignments it could be that allocating to different states, but since it specifically references local I'd suspect that

Your tax software should be able to accommodate.

What does it show for locality on the second W2 that has the different numbers?

What state do you live in? Does your city or county have an income tax?

Mike

lstone19
Posts: 468
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:33 pm

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by lstone19 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:13 pm

Sounds more like the OP has a 2-page W-2. I had one like that for 2017 because I had five box 12 codes and amounts and a W-2 can only show four. For my employer, the "second W-2" was blank except for names and the fifth box 12 code and amount (sounds like in the OP's case, all the other boxes were duplicated).

I use TT and it that's the case, when you enter a W-2, although it starts with four box 12 lines (just like a W-2), once you enter the fourth box 12 code and amount, a line for a fifth code automatically appears (and so forth) so it appears TT handles an unlimited number of box 12 codes. Although a printed W-2 has the boxes marked 12a, 12b, 12c, and 12d, they go into TT as just box 12 (no need to worry about letters).

As for box 14, that box is used for miscellaneous items and very little of it can be processed automatically by tax software so it will probably ask you lots of questions about box 14 items.
Last edited by lstone19 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5024
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:15 pm

On the W2 entry, it has a place to add more boxes if your form has them. Clearly you must have a local payroll tax.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Topic Author
icedtea
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:12 pm

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by icedtea » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:47 pm

OP here.

The first W-2 says Page 1, Employee Reference Copy Wage and Tax Statement. The second W-2 I received says Page 2, City or Local Reference Copy Wage and Tax Statement.

I live in NYC where we have state and city tax.

The second W-2 has different info for 12a. Both forms say C but have different amounts listed. The second W-2 also has different info for 14. Both have an SDI amount listed but the second W-2 has a different amount.

How do I enter the different info from 12a and 14 into my tax software? I use TaxAct.

Iced Tea

Topic Author
icedtea
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:12 pm

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by icedtea » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:09 am

Bump

I confirmed with my payroll dept that I have pages 1 and 2 of a single W-2, not two different W-2s. Page 1 is for federal filing and NY state filing, page 2 is for city or local filing. As I mentioned before, the two pages have identical data except for boxes 12a and 14.

How do I enter this information correctly in Tax Act?

livesoft
Posts: 68680
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by livesoft » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:12 am

icedtea wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:09 am
How do I enter this information correctly in Tax Act?
What did the TaxAct folks tell you when you asked them this?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
icedtea
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:12 pm

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by icedtea » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:13 am

livesoft wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:12 am
icedtea wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:09 am
How do I enter this information correctly in Tax Act?
What did the TaxAct folks tell you when you asked them this?
I called them 5 times but haven't been able to get through to a tax agent.

Topic Author
icedtea
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:12 pm

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by icedtea » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:39 am

I called TaxAct over and over again and emailed them 3-4 times but never got any help on this matter. There's no place in TaxAct to enter the #s for boxes 12a and 14 for the NYC local filing. Anyone have any idea what I'm supposed to do? I called payroll and they couldn't comment on how to enter the information in the software.

Edit: I found this article which suggests I should just enter the federal info for my federal W-2 (which I've already done) and ignore the city info in boxes 12a and 14. Anyone else have experience with this?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/43267 ... -this-out

Iced Tea

dbr
Posts: 30828
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by dbr » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:08 am

Very possibly TaxAct does not support filing of local taxes. That would mean you have to obtain a local tax return form, fill it out, and mail it in. They probably have some ability to file online as well.

Topic Author
icedtea
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:12 pm

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by icedtea » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:15 am

dbr wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:08 am
Very possibly TaxAct does not support filing of local taxes. That would mean you have to obtain a local tax return form, fill it out, and mail it in. They probably have some ability to file online as well.
That must be the case. There's no place in TaxAct for local tax information.

I found this page: https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/serv ... income-tax

I'm a little concerned if I fill out NYC 1127, that I'll end up being double taxed. I mean, I've never had to fill out this form before. Do you think all this is necessary when the only discrepancies are boxes 12a (C) and 14 (SDI)?

dbr
Posts: 30828
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by dbr » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:17 am

icedtea wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:15 am
dbr wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:08 am
Very possibly TaxAct does not support filing of local taxes. That would mean you have to obtain a local tax return form, fill it out, and mail it in. They probably have some ability to file online as well.
That must be the case. There's no place in TaxAct for local tax information.

I found this page: https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/serv ... income-tax

I'm a little concerned if I fill out NYC 1127, that I'll end up being double taxed. I mean, I've never had to fill out this form before. Do you think all this is necessary when the only discrepancies are boxes 12a (C) and 14 (SDI)?
I personally have no idea if you yourself are actually required to file NY City income tax or pay a tax there.

MarkNYC
Posts: 1590
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by MarkNYC » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:03 pm

icedtea wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:15 am
dbr wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:08 am
Very possibly TaxAct does not support filing of local taxes. That would mean you have to obtain a local tax return form, fill it out, and mail it in. They probably have some ability to file online as well.
That must be the case. There's no place in TaxAct for local tax information.

I found this page: https://www1.nyc.gov/nyc-resources/serv ... income-tax

I'm a little concerned if I fill out NYC 1127, that I'll end up being double taxed. I mean, I've never had to fill out this form before. Do you think all this is necessary when the only discrepancies are boxes 12a (C) and 14 (SDI)?
You can ignore the amounts in box 12 and 14 of the City copy of the W-2. Do not file form NYC 1127. NY State collects NY City resident income tax on behalf of the city. That tax is reported on line 47a of NY St Resident Income Tax Return Form IT-201.

Topic Author
icedtea
Posts: 793
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:12 pm

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by icedtea » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:20 am

MarkNYC wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:03 pm
You can ignore the amounts in box 12 and 14 of the City copy of the W-2. Do not file form NYC 1127. NY State collects NY City resident income tax on behalf of the city. That tax is reported on line 47a of NY St Resident Income Tax Return Form IT-201.

Thanks for the help. I've inputted the federal #s for my federal W-2 and ignored the different figures in boxes 12 and 14 in the City copy.

Iced Tea

wfrobinette
Posts: 753
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by wfrobinette » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:22 pm

dbr wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:08 am
Very possibly TaxAct does not support filing of local taxes. That would mean you have to obtain a local tax return form, fill it out, and mail it in. They probably have some ability to file online as well.
Bingo!

MarkNYC
Posts: 1590
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by MarkNYC » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:47 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:22 pm
dbr wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:08 am
Very possibly TaxAct does not support filing of local taxes. That would mean you have to obtain a local tax return form, fill it out, and mail it in. They probably have some ability to file online as well.
Bingo!
Not sure what you mean. For NY City resident income tax, there is no local tax return form or separate filing. The tax is paid on the NY State individual income tax return.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 4144
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by munemaker » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:53 pm

icedtea wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:29 am
I received two W-2s from my employer. They are identical except one of them says City or Local Reference Copy, and the #s in boxes 12a and 14 are different from the other W-2. How should I handle entering the information into my tax software?

Thanks,
Iced Tea
The same thing happened to a friend whose taxes I do. The answer is beyond obvious. You enter the numbers from the state & local W2s into the state and local forms (Of course, if your state or local does not have income tax, just ignore those W2s). Enter numbers from the other (federal) W2 into the federal tax form.

If you are filing paper copies, attach the state & local W2s to the state and local returns, and the other (federal) W2 to the federal return.

MarkNYC
Posts: 1590
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Received 2 W-2s from same employer - what to do

Post by MarkNYC » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:16 pm

munemaker wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:53 pm
icedtea wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:29 am
I received two W-2s from my employer. They are identical except one of them says City or Local Reference Copy, and the #s in boxes 12a and 14 are different from the other W-2. How should I handle entering the information into my tax software?

Thanks,
Iced Tea
The same thing happened to a friend whose taxes I do. The answer is beyond obvious. You enter the numbers from the state & local W2s into the state and local forms (Of course, if your state or local does not have income tax, just ignore those W2s). Enter numbers from the other (federal) W2 into the federal tax form.

If you are filing paper copies, attach the state & local W2s to the state and local returns, and the other (federal) W2 to the federal return.
Starting with tax year 2015, when paper filing the NY State tax return, the Form W-2 should NOT be attached to or enclosed with the NY tax return. Instead, the W-2 information goes onto Form IT-2 which is part of the tax return.

Post Reply