People with websites as side hustle or business, what marketing channels do you use

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
saagar_is_cool

People with websites as side hustle or business, what marketing channels do you use

Post by saagar_is_cool » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:01 am

One of my friends built a website and when visiting our place yesterday asked me for any marketing tips. I suggested he post here to get any pointers, so he created his ID and made a post but got banned. Not sure if he was banned because he mentioned his website in the post or posted from our place which has same IP address.

Anyways, the question is, people who built functional websites as side hustle or as primary business channel, how do you market them. I can think of posting on linkedon, facebook, pinterest, whatsapp etc. to friends and family but what else can be used. Is there any good guide anywhere for people with technical background to follow. I see some websites have hundreds of thousands of backlinks, is there an all-in-one place to post that generates these.

Any and all pointers are appreciated. My friend, Poor guy, I suggested bogleheads to him for financial advise and he has been lurking here for a while and got banned on his first post :)

whodidntante

Re: People with websites as side hustle or business, what marketing channels do you use

Post by whodidntante » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:18 am

You'll need more subtlety if you want to use a forum like this to get your name out. There are a few here who do it and have earned respect in the process. They post with their brand or real name as a possible signpost. It helps a lot if you know something and you're good at communicating it. Expect to give more than you get.

Topic Author
saagar_is_cool

Re: People with websites as side hustle or business, what marketing channels do you use

Post by saagar_is_cool » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:29 am

whodidntante wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:18 am
You'll need more subtlety if you want to use a forum like this to get your name out. There are a few here who do it and have earned respect in the process. They post with their brand or real name as a possible signpost. It helps a lot if you know something and you're good at communicating it. Expect to give more than you get.
@whodidntante, the intention is not to promote the website here but to get information from people on the forum on how they have done marketing for their websites. That said, I see the other perspective now, mentioning the site name can look like someone is cleverly trying to insert it in the form of a question and get visibility from here. This is why I chose not to add the website details or anything else about it in the post.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:28 am

First, there are plenty of books on this topic. Have him/her go to his local library and look at the internet business section. There also are websites and blogs that talk about promoting a website.

What does this website do/sell? My approach (for a non-income producing website) is respond to posts on forums related to the main topic of the website. In my case, it is bicycle touring. There are several active bike touring forums where I am an active member, responding to questions, and, where appropriate, suggesting links back to my website. One of the main markers for search engine placement is how many links you have back to your site from other sites.

I also make agreements with other similar sites to put a link to their site from mine if they will post a link back to mine. Most people are willing to do this because my site is known and full of useful information.

If a product is being hawked, maybe find people with influence in that market to test and review it. Does your friend have any specific expertise that s/he can use to get articles published or maybe interviews? People with podcasts have to have things to talk about. Is this website a possible topic.

Note that getting traffic to one's site is a main income generator for several huge internet companies. Getting attention from them for free won't be easy.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

Topic Author
saagar_is_cool

Post by saagar_is_cool » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks Raybo for your note. The website is a cloud based PDF utilities website. I will ask him to check out the library. I know a lot of people swear by LinkedIn marketing being very influential, but I had the same issue with LinkedIn when I did my site that you cannot have two profiles on LinkedIn. If you don't want your current company colleagues to know about your side hustle, then you cannot post with details on LinkedIn.

I like the idea of reaching out to others in the space, maybe utility sites like lifehacker.com may come in handy, I will suggest him that. I agree that companies spend big bucks on marketing, but if you have a genuine site and you bootstrapped it, how much money can you drown on marketing alone.

Any ideas from anyone else on what you have done to market your site.
Raybo wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:28 am
First, there are plenty of books on this topic. Have him/her go to his local library and look at the internet business section. There also are websites and blogs that talk about promoting a website.

What does this website do/sell? My approach (for a non-income producing website) is respond to posts on forums related to the main topic of the website. In my case, it is bicycle touring. There are several active bike touring forums where I am an active member, responding to questions, and, where appropriate, suggesting links back to my website. One of the main markers for search engine placement is how many links you have back to your site from other sites.

I also make agreements with other similar sites to put a link to their site from mine if they will post a link back to mine. Most people are willing to do this because my site is known and full of useful information.

If a product is being hawked, maybe find people with influence in that market to test and review it. Does your friend have any specific expertise that s/he can use to get articles published or maybe interviews? People with podcasts have to have things to talk about. Is this website a possible topic.

Note that getting traffic to one's site is a main income generator for several huge internet companies. Getting attention from them for free won't be easy.

indexfund56

Post by indexfund56 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:43 pm

As someone who has operated a web site for going on 12 years (more than the last six as my full time job), the best advice I can give is, “there are no shortcuts to success.”

Our site operated for more than three years without generating a penny of revenue, but as we built an audience, opportunities to monetize grew. Right now, we spend no money on marketing and the majority of our traffic comes from Google, Facebook and Twitter. We have organically grown both FB and Twitter to over 22,000 and 33,000 likes/follows and we rank in the top three or four for most of our relevant terms in Google.

Topic Author
saagar_is_cool

Post by saagar_is_cool » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:57 am

Thank you for your response. I understand that you are no longer marmeting. How did you build an initial audience - Google Ads, Social Media ads, word if mouth ?
indexfund56 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:43 pm
As someone who has operated a web site for going on 12 years (more than the last six as my full time job), the best advice I can give is, “there are no shortcuts to success.”

Our site operated for more than three years without generating a penny of revenue, but as we built an audience, opportunities to monetize grew. Right now, we spend no money on marketing and the majority of our traffic comes from Google, Facebook and Twitter. We have organically grown both FB and Twitter to over 22,000 and 33,000 likes/follows and we rank in the top three or four for most of our relevant terms in Google.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:53 am

I run a training/publishing site in a niche professional arena. Just a few traffic sources I have used within the last year alone:

-Paid Facebook and Google ads to a custom audience
-I’ve written several hundred blog posts on site to boost SEO and get organic traffic
-Get published in professional trade journals to get links and eyeballs
-Speaking at trade shows and conferences
-Direct mail (yes, physical postal mail)
-YouTube videos
-Telemarketing (yes, telephone to drive web traffic)
-joint ventures with other companies

...and a few more. You’ll notice no active social media, because I despise it with a passion. So, I don’t do it.

There is no magic to marketing. It’s just about doing the work and, yes, investing some money.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

WannabeBogleHead01

Post by WannabeBogleHead01 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:47 pm

I’d recommend getting the basics of SEO right for any website. I used to run my own sites (roughly 2001-2008) as I side-hustle before it was even a term. Have been doing SEO at Fortune 100 companies ever since.

Would recommend starting here: https://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo

And if you go down the app road, search for “ASO Beginner Guide.” Lots of overlap.

The topic seems specific enough that the competition may be minimal. Probably a handful of big players, meaning you may be able to get page 1 rankings if successful at the basics.

Good luck. Once the basics are in place it gets tougher, but still worth the effort.

indexfund56

Post by indexfund56 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:50 am

saagar_is_cool wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:57 am
Thank you for your response. I understand that you are no longer marmeting. How did you build an initial audience - Google Ads, Social Media ads, word if mouth ?
indexfund56 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:43 pm

Word of mouth, primarily. Back in those days, 2007 and 2008, social media ads weren't really a thing and I didn't have the money to pay for Google Ads.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:41 am

Look up “inbound marketing” or “content marketing”. It's basically word-of-mouth marketing using an ecosystem of platforms, SEO, and user-generated feedback and engagement.

If your friend is looking to use message board and forums to promote his website, he will need to abstain from actually marketing his website and participate as a contributor, and add value through content.

One rule of thumb I've heard that makes a lot of sense from engaging with online communities: 90% give, 9% promote, 1% ask. If his first post on BH started with a heavy ask I wouldn't be surprised if he got banned on the spot.

celia

Post by celia » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:45 am

Your friend's post possibly was banned if it came across as promoting his business to us, especially if it was his first post.

To answer your question, it depends on what his website does. If it sells a product or service, he needs to figure out who will likely make use of the product or service and how to find those folks. These are just examples, but if he sells shoes to medical professionals who are on their feet all day in a clean environment, his audience will be different than those who need pet sitters or restaurant supplies. It also depends if his product or services is used by individuals or companies, and local or worldwide. I can see all of these using different strategies.

He should also know who his competitors are. How do they advertise?

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:57 am

I have a website that I do not operate for profit. It contains my travel photography, which is all annotated as to what and where. While any of the images can be purchased in any form from digital download to metal wall hanging or coffee cup, Google periodically does a crawl and picks up the annotations so that anyone searching for "xyz" may pickup a link to my image of it. The site costs me more to keep than it produces in revenue but I view it as the last line of photo-backup, so it has value to me. I suspect it may have value to others as well as the last 30 days have resulted in more than 117K views. www.martindareff.com

ny_rn

Post by ny_rn » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:48 am

100% of my marketing efforts are on Instagram.

Topic Author
saagar_is_cool

Post by saagar_is_cool » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:13 pm

AerialWombat wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:53 am
I run a training/publishing site in a niche professional arena. Just a few traffic sources I have used within the last year alone:

-Paid Facebook and Google ads to a custom audience
-I’ve written several hundred blog posts on site to boost SEO and get organic traffic
-Get published in professional trade journals to get links and eyeballs
-Speaking at trade shows and conferences
-Direct mail (yes, physical postal mail)
-YouTube videos
-Telemarketing (yes, telephone to drive web traffic)
-joint ventures with other companies

...and a few more. You’ll notice no active social media, because I despise it with a passion. So, I don’t do it.

There is no magic to marketing. It’s just about doing the work and, yes, investing some money.
Thank you for this list. Youtube videos is one channel we didn't think of. Kudos on writing hundreds of blog posts. I have my own enterprise software website and I have barely done one blog post so far, as I cannot pull myself to write content.

Topic Author
saagar_is_cool

Post by saagar_is_cool » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:16 pm

WannabeBogleHead01 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:47 pm
I’d recommend getting the basics of SEO right for any website. I used to run my own sites (roughly 2001-2008) as I side-hustle before it was even a term. Have been doing SEO at Fortune 100 companies ever since.

Would recommend starting here: https://moz.com/beginners-guide-to-seo

And if you go down the app road, search for “ASO Beginner Guide.” Lots of overlap.

The topic seems specific enough that the competition may be minimal. Probably a handful of big players, meaning you may be able to get page 1 rankings if successful at the basics.

Good luck. Once the basics are in place it gets tougher, but still worth the effort.
Thank you for the SEO link, appreciate it. There is some issue with Google indexing the site. Looks like he bought a domain which used to exist and is now defunct. And even though he built a fully functional website, Google won't index it by a mile irrespective of his submissions. That said, I heard of freelancers on fiverr and upwork who can do SEO. Personally, I stay away from these folks as I am afraid of them generating links that are blackmarked and hence might have negative effect from Google.

Topic Author
saagar_is_cool

Post by saagar_is_cool » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:19 pm

stimulacra wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:41 am
Look up “inbound marketing” or “content marketing”. It's basically word-of-mouth marketing using an ecosystem of platforms, SEO, and user-generated feedback and engagement.

If your friend is looking to use message board and forums to promote his website, he will need to abstain from actually marketing his website and participate as a contributor, and add value through content.

One rule of thumb I've heard that makes a lot of sense from engaging with online communities: 90% give, 9% promote, 1% ask. If his first post on BH started with a heavy ask I wouldn't be surprised if he got banned on the spot.
Thanks for the pointers. I will refer him to content marketing. He is spending a lot of time now on twitter and reddit, answering some posts, but I have my doubts as these one off things will not generate consistent inbound traffic.

Topic Author
saagar_is_cool

Post by saagar_is_cool » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:24 pm

celia wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:45 am
Your friend's post possibly was banned if it came across as promoting his business to us, especially if it was his first post.

To answer your question, it depends on what his website does. If it sells a product or service, he needs to figure out who will likely make use of the product or service and how to find those folks. These are just examples, but if he sells shoes to medical professionals who are on their feet all day in a clean environment, his audience will be different than those who need pet sitters or restaurant supplies. It also depends if his product or services is used by individuals or companies, and local or worldwide. I can see all of these using different strategies.

He should also know who his competitors are. How do they advertise?
One of the helpful users here sent me a direct message to enquire about the permanent ban and pointed to the rules. One of the rules was not to put a website link in the first post. As he was trying to say which site and posted a link, he violated that rule and got immediate ban.

On what the website does - it is cloud based pdf utilities for compressing, splitting, merging PDF files along with others like converting images to pdf and vice-versa, adding watermark to pdf, locking and unlocking pdf along with extracting text and deleting pages etc. The site is https://pdfgarage.com (Mods, if link is not permitted, let me know and I will remove it). This is to give an idea to helpful users to provide advise based on the site.

His competitors like smallpdf and ilovepdf seem to be established players for years with thousands of backlinks etc. We are not sure if they need to advertise. Is there a portal or somewhere to find where they advertise.

Topic Author
saagar_is_cool

Post by saagar_is_cool » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:25 pm

midareff wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:57 am
I have a website that I do not operate for profit. It contains my travel photography, which is all annotated as to what and where. While any of the images can be purchased in any form from digital download to metal wall hanging or coffee cup, Google periodically does a crawl and picks up the annotations so that anyone searching for "xyz" may pickup a link to my image of it. The site costs me more to keep than it produces in revenue but I view it as the last line of photo-backup, so it has value to me. I suspect it may have value to others as well as the last 30 days have resulted in more than 117K views. www.martindareff.com
Very nice. As a website owner for some enterprise software, I am curious what you mean by annotated. Do you mean the alt message for the images? Also, on your comment about site costing you more, have you looked at Google cloud and / or Amazon lambda. With google atleast, it allows 50k views per day for free.

Topic Author
saagar_is_cool

Post by saagar_is_cool » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:27 pm

ny_rn wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:48 am
100% of my marketing efforts are on Instagram.
I am always curious and fascinated when people talk about Instagram. Maybe I am getting old, but the last Social network I tried and got in was facebook besides WhatsApp. How do people use Instagram and how do you market there. For his website which is pdf utilities as I mentioned above, how can Instagram help.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:32 pm

saagar_is_cool wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:01 am
One of my friends built a website and when visiting our place yesterday asked me for any marketing tips. I suggested he post here to get any pointers, so he created his ID and made a post but got banned. Not sure if he was banned because he mentioned his website in the post or posted from our place which has same IP address.

Anyways, the question is, people who built functional websites as side hustle or as primary business channel, how do you market them. I can think of posting on linkedon, facebook, pinterest, whatsapp etc. to friends and family but what else can be used. Is there any good guide anywhere for people with technical background to follow. I see some websites have hundreds of thousands of backlinks, is there an all-in-one place to post that generates these.

Any and all pointers are appreciated. My friend, Poor guy, I suggested bogleheads to him for financial advise and he has been lurking here for a while and got banned on his first post :)
Not on Bogleheads obviously :).

I do LinkedIn, FaceBook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, Reddit, my own channels, word of mouth, and then I generally try to be helpful on forums and blogs around the internet. Sometimes it is hard to keep all the different forum rules straight. If you forget, you get moderated, warned, or banned. Hopefully you've helped enough people that the moderators are in a forgiving mood when you accidentally cross the line and break the rules.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:33 pm

saagar_is_cool wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:19 pm

Thanks for the pointers. I will refer him to content marketing. He is spending a lot of time now on twitter and reddit, answering some posts, but I have my doubts as these one off things will not generate consistent inbound traffic.
Oh, did you expect this to work quickly? Did I mention it will likely take years? If you want something faster, buy Facebook or Google ads.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:28 am

saagar_is_cool wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:25 pm
midareff wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:57 am
Very nice. As a website owner for some enterprise software, I am curious what you mean by annotated. Do you mean the alt message for the images? Also, on your comment about site costing you more, have you looked at Google cloud and / or Amazon lambda. With google atleast, it allows 50k views per day for free.
By annotated I mean the what and where of the image captured, as in the Statue of the Holy Ce in front of the Cathedral of the Ce in Belen, Brazil. I have not looked at other sites as I know they maintain full resolution at this one and they are my last line of defense (read backup) for my images. I also have no interest in recreating the site at another host and loading >8K full resolution images to save a few bucks a year.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:17 am

DW and I do professional commercial photography. Portfolios are at Getty, Adobe, Istock, Shutterstock, etc. They market the images globally, handle copyrights, releases, reports, etc, and send us the proceeds monthly. Microstock is difficult to break into but, for some, worth the effort. Another advantage is, no physical location, no rent, no advertising, etc.

DW also designs various websites that also carry our work and so forth. We also do product photography, etc, for companies.

Keeps us busy in retirement. :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Topic Author
saagar_is_cool

Post by saagar_is_cool » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:59 pm

Thanks White Coat Investor for this list. How do you market on pinterest and instagram though. They look picture centric for instagramand pinterest, I am
yet to understand what it does.
White Coat Investor wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:32 pm
saagar_is_cool wrote:

I do LinkedIn, FaceBook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, Reddit, my own channels, word of mouth, and then I generally try to be helpful on forums and blogs around the internet. Sometimes it is hard to keep all the different forum rules straight. If you forget, you get moderated, warned, or banned. Hopefully you've helped enough people that the moderators are in a forgiving mood when you accidentally cross the line and break the rules.

Topic Author
saagar_is_cool

Post by saagar_is_cool » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:04 pm

Certainly not expecting to work quickly, but want to see some traction over period of time. For mine, I was lucky that ours was enterprise software and a large company reached out to us to license in the first 6 nonths. For him, it is b2c utilities website as stated above, and it is difficult to get the attention / traction. He doesn’t have large budge for facebook or google ads as they are bootstrapping but they are patient. Any whatsapp or social campaigns cause short term spile for a day or two, but it fizzles out afterwords, so they are looking for sustainable sources
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:33 pm
saagar_is_cool wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:19 pm

Oh, did you expect this to work quickly? Did I mention it will likely take years? If you want something faster, buy Facebook or Google ads.

Topic Author
saagar_is_cool

Post by saagar_is_cool » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:17 am
DW and I do professional commercial photography. Portfolios are at Getty, Adobe, Istock, Shutterstock, etc. They market the images globally, handle copyrights, releases, reports, etc, and send us the proceeds monthly. Microstock is difficult to break into but, for some, worth the effort. Another advantage is, no physical location, no rent, no advertising, etc.

DW also designs various websites that also carry our work and so forth. We also do product photography, etc, for companies.

Keeps us busy in retirement. :D
Thats great, looks like these sites are handling the marketing for you :sharebeer

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:34 pm

saagar_is_cool wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:59 pm
Thanks White Coat Investor for this list. How do you market on pinterest and instagram though. They look picture centric for instagramand pinterest, I am
yet to understand what it does.
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:32 pm
saagar_is_cool wrote:

Still figuring out those two. Not a lot of success there yet.