Home radon detectors - which is best

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
F150HD

Home radon detectors - which is best

Post by F150HD » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Have offer in on a home (midwest). Upcoming inspection they want to know if I want a 'radon test'-$150ish.

I am wondering if something like this may be more appropriate for longer term sampling data? (link below)
For the cost of this unit below I could get real time data for years, versus a one time $150 radon test by the inspector?
Seems a bit wiser to think longer term on the testing and monitoring? (for nearly the same cost)

Anyone have one of these? or can suggest one like it? (that may be cheaper?)

The one time kits are fine, but I struggle w/ the sampling error that can occur w/ such a kit. Similar to the sampling error that could occur w/ the inspector doing his test "once".

The radon thing seems like the hot button realty topic now. Stats show 1 in 15 homes need radon mitigation, have read all the articles. Didn't ask for the radon test in the offer, home does have a crawlspace under one of the floors (and it has an appropriate vapor barrier etc). Will also consider putting in a vent fan though not sure its needed. TBD

bhsince87

Re: Home radon detectors - which is best

Post by bhsince87 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:36 pm

I have the Airthings Wave. Very happy with it. I paid the extra $20 for it because I liked the data plotting.

It's nice to be able to pick it up and test various locations around the house (or outside even!) at different times of the year. There are significant differences around here (PA) between seasons, and even with different atmospheric pressures.

It goes through batteries faster then they said it would though.

That being said, I would still want to do BOTH.

The home inspection test is "official", and if the home is found to be outside acceptable limits, the data can be used to negotiate for a lower cost and/or installation of remediation equipment.

I suspect (don't know for sure) that the long term personal test units don't yet have the legal standing that the other tests have. Could hurt to ask your inspector though. Although he probably makes some money off the old style tests.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:00 pm

My kid bought a house that had high levels. He has a Corentium which is a nice little device. After mitigation we compared the corentium to the radon mitigation folk's $1000 device and it had the same readings. It's a nice little device. The company that makes it, Airthings, is in Norway. I know Finland has some of the highest radon levels in the world so I expect Norway does too?

The activated charcoal boxes from Home Depot /Lowes are considered the gold standard if used properly for a one-time snapshot.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:50 pm

I have used this one since 2012 and it has worked consistently. Seems to have the same short term and long term measures as the Airthings, but it plugs into the wall, so no batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C ... UTF8&psc=1

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:30 am

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (radon detector).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:11 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:30 am
This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (radon detector).
Thanks. I thought I had put it there!
-----

Thanks for all other replies. :thumbsup