Fidelity login security

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
investor4life
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:45 am

Fidelity login security

Post by investor4life » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:28 pm

The Security Center in my Fidelity account (click on Profile at the top and scroll down) shows two options for 2FA: the usual random numeric code sent by text and the Symantec VIP app. I have had the Symantec option turned on for a while and am now being presented with the option to turn on the other one as well (they don't seem to be mutually exclusive options). I'm confused as to why this is so---I thought that the Symantec option was more secure anyway.

Also, there is a Lockdown feature to prevent unauthorized movement of money out of the account. If this is turned on, do I have to turn it off each time I want to move funds out?

I could call Fido to check on this but figured I'd tap the collective wisdom/experience here first.

Thanks!

JBTX
Posts: 4614
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Fidelity login security

Post by JBTX » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:00 pm

I think the vip app is for login. Text may be for other types of 2fa verification. Vip app works well and is more secure than text.

I am on lockdown, but I never pulled money out since doing that. I'd assume you have to unlock down before pulling money out.

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 5640
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Fidelity login security

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:05 pm

JBTX wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:00 pm
I think the vip app is for login. Text may be for other types of 2fa verification. Vip app works well and is more secure than text.

I am on lockdown, but I never pulled money out since doing that. I'd assume you have to unlock down before pulling money out.
What is this feature and how does it work? I can guess by the name what it does.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

JBTX
Posts: 4614
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Fidelity login security

Post by JBTX » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:08 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:05 pm
JBTX wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:00 pm
I think the vip app is for login. Text may be for other types of 2fa verification. Vip app works well and is more secure than text.

I am on lockdown, but I never pulled money out since doing that. I'd assume you have to unlock down before pulling money out.
What is this feature and how does it work? I can guess by the name what it does.
It is called lockdown and presumably it disallows withdrawals, which in theory would reduce chance of a fraudulent withdrawal. I don't know the security steps involved to unlock. I just saw the option and did it. Figure it can't hurt. I've never talked to anybody about it.

ladycat
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: Fidelity login security

Post by ladycat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:23 pm

If you click on the Lockdown button, you get a page that explains what is and is not affected.
You can also choose which account are locked down.

If you want to move funds out of your account, you need to turn lockdown off. It sounds like you might need to confirm the change via a code sent to your phone. It says "make sure your account profile has your up-to-date phone numbers on file."

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 6601
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Fidelity login security

Post by HueyLD » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:11 pm

investor4life wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:28 pm
The Security Center in my Fidelity account (click on Profile at the top and scroll down) shows two options for 2FA: the usual random numeric code sent by text and the Symantec VIP app. I have had the Symantec option turned on for a while and am now being presented with the option to turn on the other one as well (they don't seem to be mutually exclusive options). I'm confused as to why this is so---I thought that the Symantec option was more secure anyway.

Also, there is a Lockdown feature to prevent unauthorized movement of money out of the account. If this is turned on, do I have to turn it off each time I want to move funds out?

I could call Fido to check on this but figured I'd tap the collective wisdom/experience here first.

Thanks!
VIP access is an app (token) that can only be installed in one device. That's why you still need the other 2FA for other devices you may use to access your account.

And the lockdown feature is very useful when you are going to be out of town for a while.

User avatar
TheTimeLord
Posts: 5640
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: Fidelity login security

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:02 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:11 pm
investor4life wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:28 pm
The Security Center in my Fidelity account (click on Profile at the top and scroll down) shows two options for 2FA: the usual random numeric code sent by text and the Symantec VIP app. I have had the Symantec option turned on for a while and am now being presented with the option to turn on the other one as well (they don't seem to be mutually exclusive options). I'm confused as to why this is so---I thought that the Symantec option was more secure anyway.

Also, there is a Lockdown feature to prevent unauthorized movement of money out of the account. If this is turned on, do I have to turn it off each time I want to move funds out?

I could call Fido to check on this but figured I'd tap the collective wisdom/experience here first.

Thanks!
VIP access is an app (token) that can only be installed in one device. That's why you still need the other 2FA for other devices you may use to access your account.

And the lockdown feature is very useful when you are going to be out of town for a while.
I think you only need it installed on one device then enter the code to the logon on any device.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

Luckywon
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:33 am

Re: Fidelity login security

Post by Luckywon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:01 pm

ladycat wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:23 pm
If you click on the Lockdown button, you get a page that explains what is and is not affected.
You can also choose which account are locked down.

If you want to move funds out of your account, you need to turn lockdown off. It sounds like you might need to confirm the change via a code sent to your phone. It says "make sure your account profile has your up-to-date phone numbers on file."
I use something similar at Etrade called "no funds out". Any withdrawals or transfers out are blocked until my identity is verified and I lift the restriction. The verification is by phone.

ladycat
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: Fidelity login security

Post by ladycat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:27 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:02 pm
HueyLD wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:11 pm
investor4life wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:28 pm
The Security Center in my Fidelity account (click on Profile at the top and scroll down) shows two options for 2FA: the usual random numeric code sent by text and the Symantec VIP app. I have had the Symantec option turned on for a while and am now being presented with the option to turn on the other one as well (they don't seem to be mutually exclusive options). I'm confused as to why this is so---I thought that the Symantec option was more secure anyway.

Also, there is a Lockdown feature to prevent unauthorized movement of money out of the account. If this is turned on, do I have to turn it off each time I want to move funds out?

I could call Fido to check on this but figured I'd tap the collective wisdom/experience here first.

Thanks!
VIP access is an app (token) that can only be installed in one device. That's why you still need the other 2FA for other devices you may use to access your account.

And the lockdown feature is very useful when you are going to be out of town for a while.
I think you only need it installed on one device then enter the code to the logon on any device.
Yes. I can generate the VIP Access code on my computer and use it to log in using a different computer.

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 6601
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Fidelity login security

Post by HueyLD » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:45 am

I didn’t write very clearly. What I meant to say was: since the VIP token can only be installed on one device, one may need another 2FA access method if that device is not readily available. For example, the token is installed on an iMac at home and you are out of town.

Hockey10
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:20 pm
Location: Philadelphia suburbs

Re: Fidelity login security

Post by Hockey10 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:23 am

I have the VIP Access token installed on my phone, which is always with me wherever I go, so I can in theory log into my Fidelity account from any location. However, in practice, I have only logged into Fidelity from my home computer. I don't even have the Fidelity app installed on my phone.

I just signed up for the lockdown feature yesterday. I rarely transfer money out of Fidelity, so it seems like a reasonable safety precaution.

Post Reply