Satellite radio pricing ridiculousness

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ERguy101

Satellite radio pricing ridiculousness

Post by ERguy101 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I was just seeing if anyone had managed to solve the SiriusXM pricing ridiculousness. Every year I get a warning they are going to bill me like > $200 for service, so I call them, wait on hold for 30 minutes, and tell them I want to quit my service, and they offer the year for $80-100 or something. It's minimal work to save $100. And I do use the service so I don't want to drop it. Just curious if anyone has a better solution?

beyou

Re: Satellite radio pricing ridiculousness

Post by beyou » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:05 pm

Better solution was that I dropped it. I may add it back if I plan on doing more traveling by car.
But I think of this as a time bound purchase now, something I feel like getting for 3-6 months, take an offer dirt cheap during a time period
when I feel I would use it heavily, then cancel at the end of that period. When you call to cancel, they don't want to take no for an answer, but I tell them clearly, unless it's FREE, don't bother telling me any offers, the answer will be no. I can always call up again later and ask them if they have any intro offers to turn service back on.

I found that I listen to my favorite stations most often and that they became repetitious.
I can take a break for a long while.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:05 pm

That seems the standard business model for cable, radio, and internet providers. As a customer I hate the annual call.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:06 pm

This is why I won't use these services. If they would give reasonable pricing up front I would but I am not personally going to play these games. I guess it works for them.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:10 pm

I've never intentionally paid for satellite radio and never will. I got a free 6 months trial or something with new car, but I have never ever responded to any e-mails they sent asking me to confirm my e-mail address. They don't send me e-mail anymore at all.

So I consider any pricing more than $0.00 to be ridiculous. All the music, news, and weather that I need to listen to is free either through my cell phone or over the air.

I do have a satellite device for when I go into the wilderness for texting and weather. I pay only for the month that I am in the wilderness out of any contact with cell towers, so I have nothing against satellites.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

batpot

Post by batpot » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:18 pm

What content does XM have that isn't available from a streaming service like google play or spotify?

Topic Author
ERguy101

Post by ERguy101 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:54 pm

batpot wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:18 pm
What content does XM have that isn't available from a streaming service like google play or spotify?
A lot of comedy radio shows. Like Jim and Sam show, I guess Howard Stern, etc.

catdude

Post by catdude » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:54 pm

I'm in semi-annual call mode. Every six months I call and tell them I want to cancel, and they offer me another six months for $30. At that rate the service is just barely worth it.
catdude | | "As much as cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens." (Abraham Lincoln)

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Streaming Internet radio thru the cell phone and Bluetooth connection to the car stereo.

No additional charge! :beer
Moderator Warning-Free Since 2017.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:00 pm

batpot wrote:
Because it is satellite-based, the service does not depend on data from a phone or wifi. Consequently, it works while I travel in the middle of Nowhere.

This is the same reason I like a dedicated GPS. It works without draining the phone's battery and data plan especially when in remote areas.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:06 pm

I just turn on my radio and it works. There's not even a quarter slot on the dash to put money in.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:15 pm

Jimmie wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:00 pm
This is the same reason I like a dedicated GPS. It works without draining the phone's battery and data plan especially when in remote areas.
Phone GPS works in remote areas away from cell towers. One can use offline maps, so no data plan needed if one pre-loads maps when using WiFi. As for using the battery, I suppose you are talking about in the car, so you can always (generally?) keep your phone charged by the car, but if not, then Anker or other brand power banks can keep one's phone charged for a week or more.

beyou

Post by beyou » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:15 pm

If you love sports, you can list to all MLB, NHL, NBA games around the country.
Sports is usually the reason keep cable, same here.

There is great music content. Whether it's better than the many other options is a matter of opinion,
but it is vastly superior to listing to local radio stations with tons of commercials and the need to keep searching for new
stations on a trip. Compared to Apple Music, I Heart Radio, Spotify etc, matter of opinion, but those all require some subscription for
full access, use your phone battery and can be disruptive if you use Google/Apple maps.

I loved having Sirius, but dropped recently and listen to streaming music, but I just wont do that while using the maps app.
One of my cars has no Sirius receiver so I have no choice there, my other car (wife's) is where we had and dropped.
Wife after a few months mentioned that she misses having Sirius active. She listened to the cable news talk shows, and comedy channel.

For music, I love some of the live music and less popular songs I hear, rather than the same old greatest hits.

My biggest complaint is that the satellite reception was often bad. This more than the cost led to my canceling.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:20 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:15 pm
Jimmie wrote:
Phone GPS works in remote areas away from cell towers. One can use offline maps, so no data plan needed if one pre-loads maps when using WiFi. As for using the battery, I suppose you are talking about in the car, so you can always (generally?) keep your phone charged by the car, but if not, then Anker or other brand power banks can keep one's phone charged for a week or more.
Agreed, but the problem with using mission-critical apps while on the phone is that somebody will actually CALL you when you can least afford to miss something.

Post by 123 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:31 pm

I've had XM radio for over 10 years. I initially got it due to the consistent (in my travels) availability of the signal versus all the complications of geography that impact local AM & FM. When they made streaming available I found that I used it more in the home. I have resigned myself to the 6 or 12 month subscribe and cancel/renew routine since it reduces the price to a level that I find acceptable. I do find an abundance of alternative free internet radio streaming alternatives but they tend to come and go, the SiriusXM service has achieved a basic level of ongoing consistency that I can accept. They do package their product very well with a wide range of content offerings that I haven't found available consistently from an alternative source. So I've stuck with them.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:43 pm

I agree the pricing is ridiculous. I don't use their services.

My vehicle's Sat. radio trial is expiring in a week or so. I didn't care for the stations when they were "free".
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

BeTheMatch

Post by BeTheMatch » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:27 pm

It's $5 a month for Sirius XM. If you're paying more than that, you're the problem.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:35 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:05 pm
That seems the standard business model for cable, radio, and internet providers. As a customer I hate the annual call.
+1

I just switched from AT&T to Comcast for internet as I knew AT&T wouldn't match the deal ($20/mo) and so I didn't have to play that game. I already had the equipment. Most of them you actually have to say you are cancelling to get the best price. If you ask if they have any specials or deals it doesn't work as well.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:37 pm

In the time of Pandora, Soundcloud and podcasts I really don't see why I would pay for satellite radio.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:38 pm

BeTheMatch wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:27 pm
It's $5 a month for Sirius XM. If you're paying more than that, you're the problem.
For 6 months...Then it's $15.99 a month. (according to their website)

I pay more than $5 a month, so just call me "The Problem" :twisted:

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:38 pm

Dropped Sirius on both cars. Not worth the price shenanigans.

If they could integrate my Pandora stations I might sign up again.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:43 pm

ERguy101 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:54 pm
A lot of comedy radio shows.
If I want something specific, I subscribe (for free) to their podcast. It downloads it automatically to my phone when I am home or around wifi and then when in my car, it plays through the radio via bluetooth. I just checked, there are several dozen comedy podcasts to choose from in the iPhone podcast app.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:43 pm

Jimmie wrote:
batpot wrote:
Because it is satellite-based, the service does not depend on data from a phone or wifi. Consequently, it works while I travel in the middle of Nowhere.

That is misguided.
Phone GPS does NOT use data. Only searching google or traffic info uses some, but negligible. Having google power and infinite detail on maps at your fingers it's a plus not a minus. Knowing where police is ahead? Priceless!

The phone charges continuously in the car and also I have mirrored the phone screen on the car screen which is larger than a GPS screen. I get 50% more charge on the battery in 1h or so.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:45 pm

BeTheMatch wrote:
The "problem" people are subsidizing those with the low prices. It isn't much different than a lot of things like those that shop the weekly grocery store flyer or those that go to multiple car dealers and negotiate hard.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:50 pm

Starfish wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:43 pm
Jimmie wrote:
batpot wrote:

That is misguided.
Phone GPS does NOT use data. Only searching google or traffic info uses some, but negligible. Having google power and infinite detail on maps at your fingers it's a plus not a minus. Knowing where police is ahead? Priceless!

The phone charges continuously in the car and also I have mirrored the phone screen on the car screen which is larger than a GPS screen. I get 50% more charge on the battery in 1h or so.
Call me crazy, but I choose to use the phone for a phone and a dedicated GPS for directions and maps and not intermingle them. As far as charging, my phone holds a charge predictably long, unless I am using the GPS function in the boonies, then it is hopelessly discharged just as I get to my destination. Learned the hard way, so that's why I keep the functions separate.

And I'm even a gadget guy.

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:58 pm

I used to have XM for close to 10 years and did this dance every 5 months. They have a deal for 5 months for $25 but the only way to get it is to say you're canceling. Occasionally, I would forget to call and end up paying their regular rate for a month or so until I called them.

I also got tired of this game and decided to try Spotify instead (I only care about music and don't listen to shows and such). I like Spotify better than XM, and canceled XM altogether. No more games. No regrets.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:21 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:45 pm
BeTheMatch wrote:
The "problem" people are subsidizing those with the low prices. It isn't much different than a lot of things like those that shop the weekly grocery store flyer or those that go to multiple car dealers and negotiate hard.
That is the wrong way of looking at it.
There is no subsidizing. Any $ is an additional $ wth no increase in cost. If they give away the service to 10k people it does not cost them a penny more. If they charge 10000 people with 1 $ is 10k aditional dollars for them. They would rather take 5$ or even 50c than 0$ from you.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:24 pm

Jimmie wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:50 pm
Starfish wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:43 pm
Jimmie wrote:
batpot wrote:

That is misguided.

Call me crazy, but I choose to use the phone for a phone and a dedicated GPS for directions and maps and not intermingle them. As far as charging, my phone holds a charge predictably long, unless I am using the GPS function in the boonies, then it is hopelessly discharged just as I get to my destination. Learned the hard way, so that's why I keep the functions separate.

And I'm even a gadget guy.
Your approach makes sense if you are walking/hiking etc. In this case you are best served by a dumb phone which last 1 week and has better reception and a dedicated GPS.
However in the car and normal day to day life it does not make sense.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:31 pm

Starfish wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:24 pm
Your approach makes sense if you are walking/hiking etc. In this case you are best served by a dumb phone which last 1 week and has better reception and a dedicated GPS.
However in the car and normal day to day life it does not make sense.
I don't use GPS often and have had my Garmin for years for when I do need it. Since I want to just pick up and go, I don't need to load the maps when I have wifi so I can view them offline later, etc. It has worked forever this way and I like it, so I am not receptive for change.

This is MY definition of simple. To each his own.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:39 pm

When I subscribed to Sirius, I jumped on their chat once to try and renew at the 6 month/$30 rate and they insisted that it was a one-time promotional rate and the best they could do was $12.99. So, I put in a complaint on their site over the agent's handling of the interaction and got a nice voicemail from their corporate office wanting to discuss prices and was able to get the 6 month $30 rate.

I received two voicemails from the same guy in their executive resolution team (or whatever it is)... so I called back and basically said, "Let's be real, you want to keep me as a customer as you want my money, and I''m just looking for the 6 month promo rate." He laughed and two minutes later I was off the phone for the $30 plus $2 to $3 in taxes.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:20 pm

ERguy101 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:59 pm
Hi everyone,

I was just seeing if anyone had managed to solve the SiriusXM pricing ridiculousness. Every year I get a warning they are going to bill me like > $200 for service, so I call them, wait on hold for 30 minutes, and tell them I want to quit my service, and they offer the year for $80-100 or something. It's minimal work to save $100. And I do use the service so I don't want to drop it. Just curious if anyone has a better solution?
No, I've done this every year since 2014 for my wife.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:28 pm

My wife enjoys the Catholic channel on XM. That is the only channel she listens to. So I have to make this ridiculous phone call every six months to threaten cancellation. They always give me a deal, and keeps my wife happy!

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

All Star

Post by All Star » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:40 pm

Jimmie wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:38 pm
BeTheMatch wrote:
For 6 months...Then it's $15.99 a month. (according to their website)

I pay more than $5 a month, so just call me "The Problem" :twisted:
I’ve had the service since 2012 across multiple radios and vehicles continuously and have never paid more than $5-6 per month. You call them up saying you are going to cancel due to price and they offer you the “6 month special pricing”. Last time I did this the phone call took less than 15 minutes. You then set a reminder to call again when that period expires...I’ve been doing that for close to a decade.

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:42 pm

Starfish wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:37 pm
In the time of Pandora, Soundcloud and podcasts I really don't see why I would pay for satellite radio.
Howard stern

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:46 pm

I got Sirius when I bought the car 2 years ago, but did not buy Sirius. I am still getting letters from them to buy the service, never respond, don't need it, no interest in using it. I recently accidentally touched the field on my car display for Sirius and could hear music, so I might still have it, but never paid for it.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:09 pm

likegarden wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:46 pm
I recently accidentally touched the field on my car display for Sirius and could hear music, so I might still have it, but never paid for it.
That's a continuous commercial to sign up for SiriusXM that you heard part of. Quite annoying actually.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:19 pm

I listen to it for the 3 weeks or so per year they have the free trials. I find the stations I like very repetitive.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 pm

Starfish wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:21 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:45 pm
BeTheMatch wrote:
That is the wrong way of looking at it.
There is no subsidizing. Any $ is an additional $ wth no increase in cost. If they give away the service to 10k people it does not cost them a penny more. If they charge 10000 people with 1 $ is 10k aditional dollars for them. They would rather take 5$ or even 50c than 0$ from you.
I disagree. They are in business to make a profit. It does cost them a penny more. They probably pay royalties/broadcast fees based on the number of customers and also need to do billing and customer service.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:31 pm

Probably you are right but that amount of money should way under 5$ per customer.
If it was over you can call it subsidizing.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:36 pm

catdude wrote:
I'm in semi-annual call mode. Every six months I call and tell them I want to cancel, and they offer me another six months for $30. At that rate the service is just barely worth it.
I don’t know how I did it, but I finally talked them into a perpetual rate ($5.94/monthly, including taxes). Have you asked for that? I’m willing to pay the extra dollar to not have to call every six months, and my kids still enjoy “their” stations.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:42 pm

A few hundred million to service the first customer, and pennies to serve each additional one.

I'm pretty sure that was covered in my economics class but I was probably asleep.

But I think you need to charge enough to cover the fixed costs or you go bankrupt and eventually there's no more service when the satellite needs replacing.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:45 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:42 pm
I'm pretty sure that was covered in my economics class but I was probably asleep.
So, you missed the part in your economics class that covered the part about a public company having the fiduciary duty to maximize returns for its shareholders. :D

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:48 pm

Jimmie wrote:
batpot wrote:

+1 I live in the mountains and I lose the local radio station frequently. I could go to exclusively to podcasts to deal with this but this is a easier although more expensive option.

Other content related options that satellite-based content offers me:

- Variety of sports options that in some cases are not available on I-heart, spotify or podcasts. Of if available from other sources, satellite offers an easy one stop shopping option
- Sirius app allows me access to above options at times when I want to listen on my own schedule (outside of my my car) via various other devices such as my phone and iPad. Can have access to this content via Wifi or can download programming to listen offline as you would via a podcast.
- Howard Stern

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:52 pm

Copper John wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:48 pm
Jimmie wrote:
batpot wrote:

+1 I live in the mountains and I lose the local radio station frequently. I could go to exclusively to podcasts to deal with this but this is a easier although more expensive option.

Other content related options that satellite-based content offers me:

- Variety of sports options that in some cases are not available on I-heart, spotify or podcasts. Of if available from other sources, satellite offers an easy one stop shopping option
- Sirius app allows me access to above options at times when I want to listen on my own schedule (outside of my my car) via various other devices such as my phone and iPad. Can have access to this content via Wifi or can download programming to listen offline as you would via a podcast.
- Howard Stern
On the other hand the signal does drop frequently in many of the places I have driven (next to high hills, buildings, etc.). I've observed this with multiple cars - it was one of the reasons I stopped paying for it - FM, 4G, etc all see to do better where I drive versus the satellite line of sight required for XM.

runner262

Post by runner262 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:53 pm

I paid about $300 for the "lifetime" package back in 2008 for XM/Sirius when I purchased my car. I haven't paid a cent more since. Considering they also offered a 3 year package for $240, the lifetime offer was a no brainer. This is probably why they no longer offer it.

I believe the "lifetime" is only connected to my car though so I have no clue what I'll do once I sell it (hopefully still far down the road).

catdude

Post by catdude » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:47 pm

EddyB wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:36 pm
catdude wrote:
I don’t know how I did it, but I finally talked them into a perpetual rate ($5.94/monthly, including taxes). Have you asked for that? I’m willing to pay the extra dollar to not have to call every six months, and my kids still enjoy “their” stations.
No, I've never asked for that perpetual rate... I had no idea they offered such a deal. $5.94 a month is reasonable, I may see if I can snag that deal next time I have to call them (in August).
catdude | | "As much as cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens." (Abraham Lincoln)

segfault

Post by segfault » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:12 pm

I use Billfixers, but they charge 50% of the savings they are able to negotiate. I used to have a perpetual "XM Basic" plan that was like $6 plus tax, but I didn't like it because it didn't include the Frank Sinatra channel.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:04 pm

ERguy101 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:59 pm
Hi everyone,

There appear to be redundant threads on Sirius XM pricing and discounts.
See viewtopic.php?f=11&t=198331&start=1

If you like Sirius XM, the Select package is continuously available at $5/month plus their fees and your taxes.

You can call and ask, or just turn off auto renew and let it lapse for a day or two. You will be bombarded with emails for $5/month, and then letters in the mail.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:21 am

My willingness to pay for satellite radio greatly diminished during the free trial. I had no idea they had commercials! I am not willing to pay for them shoving crap over the airwaves. If they got rid of ads perhaps I would consider.
4nursebee

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:32 am

I don’t pay for either TV or radio.