Experience selling car to Carmax?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rob65

Re: Experience selling car to Carmax?

Post by rob65 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:19 am

I think CarMax is what it is, both when buying and selling. You’re not going to get the best possible deal, but it will be simple and quick and you won’t get a terrible deal.

delamer

Post by delamer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:03 am

rob65 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:19 am
I think CarMax is what it is, both when buying and selling. You’re not going to get the best possible deal, but it will be simple and quick and you won’t get a terrible deal.
Agreed.

And in my state, if you both sell and buy as part of the same transaction then you only pay sales tax on the difference in price. (Or course, this is true at any dealer.)

b4real

Post by b4real » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:29 am

We’ve been retired about 2 years and have been talking about becoming a 1 car family as we rarely use the 2nd car. This thread provided the impetus to take action. Both cars are late models in great condition and "we" decided to sell "my" car as DW wanted to keep "her" car.

Last week I got quotes from carvana, vroom, and kbb instant cash offer. I had never heard of carvana or vroom until reading about them here. The quotes were within $354 of each other with vroom the lowest and kbb the highest. I then took the car to the local dealer and they offered me more than the highest kbb trade-in value which was $996 greater than the kbb instant cash offer. We are now a happy 1 car family.

This took all of about 15 minutes to get the 3 online quotes and an hour to drive to the dealer, get their appraisal and offer, and sign the papers. The dealer even drove me home. Best of all, there was no hassle and I doubt I could have sold the car for more on craigslist.
Last edited by b4real on Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:43 am

b4real wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:29 am
We’ve been retired about 2 years and have been talking about becoming a 1 car family as we rarely use the 2nd car. This thread provided the impetus to take action. Both cars are late models in great condition and "we" decided to sell "my" car as DW wanted to keep "her" car.
Last week I got quotes from carvana, vroom, and kbb instant cast offer. I had never heard of carvana or vroom until reading about them here. The quotes were within $354 of each other with vroom the lowest and kbb the highest. I then took the car to the local dealer and they offered me more than the highest kbb trade-in value which was $996 greater than the kbb instant cash offer. We are now a happy 1 car family.
This took all of about 15 minutes to get the 3 online quotes and an hour to drive to the dealer, get their appraisal and offer, and sign the papers. The dealer even drove me home. Best of all, there was no hassle and I doubt I could have sold the car for more on craigslist.
Glad it worked out so well for you.

01rkharley

Post by 01rkharley » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:57 pm

NEVER EVER trade/sell your cars at Carmax, you'll get ripped off every time. Sell it outright or trade it somewhere else.

wilked

Post by wilked » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:37 pm

Went to Carmax for my 2008 Nissan Rogue, 102k miles, good condition. They offered $1600

Sold it 5 days later on craigslist for $4k

xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:38 pm

Reporting a bad experience with CarMax too as far as the price they wanted to give me for my late model used car. The price they were trying to sell a car which was exactly like mine as far as year, model, options, mileage was exactly $5,000 more than what they offered to buy it from me...that was really ridiculous. Also, Carvana's offer price to purchase my vehicle was more fair in my opinion because it was 7 to 8 percent higher than CarMax.

I doubt I would ever buy from or sell to CarMax.

MiddleOfTheRoad

Post by MiddleOfTheRoad » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:06 pm

Recently sold an Audi

Carmax 42k
Carvana 40k
Kbb instant cash 40.5k
Local dealer 44k. Sold, no hassles.

Previously, sold 2 cars to Carmax and they are ok, but easy.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:17 pm

I will say a couple of anecdotes in December and January from relatives and friends selling to Carmax have me thinking they have tweaked their offer formula to be not insignificantly less aggressive than before. The quotes I saw were easily $1,000 too low compared to other avenues and just even using common sense.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:57 am

Depends on the car and whether they can recondition it and sell it themselves, or if they'll just dispose of it at an auction (they have age and mileage limits for what they'll put on their lot).

Some years ago Carmax offered me $6,000 for a 7-year-old Mercedes E500 with 138,000 miles. I consigned it instead with the independent MB mechanic I'd used for several years, and in about four weeks he got $10,500 (and kept $1,050).
Last edited by Trism on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

wilshuer

Post by wilshuer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:31 am

An old thread from the past, some of my experience. I used carmax, another wholesale dealer, and an online service to get offers. Between the three used them against each other and got around $1800 more. Wasn’t expecting a lot for 150k mile plus car, so worked well. If they cover your area, give me the vin was where I landed at. A few pictures through email, increased offer twice based on the other offers, and had final offer in a few hours.

They came to my house, test drove it, and handed me a check. For a few minutes it was so easy had me thinking in back of my head it was a scam... :D