anyone experiencing problems with Vanguard Admiral shares?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
bernoulli

anyone experiencing problems with Vanguard Admiral shares?

Post by bernoulli » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:06 pm

Today I was trying to exchange some shares of my Vanguard Money Market Fund in my individual 401K into the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares. The system would not allow me to do it. It gave me a message saying something like this type of fund (the admiral shares) is not allowed in the individual 401K account. The Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares shows up in my list of available funds under my 401K plan.

I thought admiral shares are now available in individual 401K accounts? What is your experience?

Thanks!
Last edited by bernoulli on Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Greco

Re: anyone experiencing problem with Vanguard Admiral shares?

Post by El Greco » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:13 pm

Admiral shares usually require a purchase minimum. For VTSAX I believe it is 3K. Is there a purchase minimum for Admiral shares in your 401k?

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:16 pm

I don’t know if they have implemented the admiral shares into the ind 401ks yet. You might go ahead and buy the investor shares, I imagine they will be converted at some point.
Last edited by mhalley on Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
bernoulli

Post by bernoulli » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:17 pm

Vanguard has a different message if the minimum is not met. I have seen that message saying something like this fund has a minimum of $3000. But this message is just about the admiral shares is not "the type of funds" my solo 401K account can have.

In any case, the amount of my attempted purchase was more than $3,000

Oblivious

Post by Oblivious » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:20 pm

The Wells Fargo website is down today. I wonder if there's something going on that's giving multiple banks problems with processing items today.

Nummerkins

Post by Nummerkins » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:22 pm

Call Vanguard. I believe another post indicated they have to add it manually.

profet

Post by profet » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:24 pm

I had to call in. Once I called they converted all shares over to Admiral in my solo 401k. There were no minimums. Can't be done online... yet.

Topic Author
bernoulli

Post by bernoulli » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:30 pm

I see, thanks everyone!

BlueCable

Post by BlueCable » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:31 pm

My wife has a SIMPLE IRA at Vanguard, and her funds are not in Admiral shares. I think we called Vanguard a couple years ago, and they said that Admiral shares were not available for her SIMPLE IRA.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:37 pm

My shares were converted to Admiral on 11/26. Yesterday, they were converted back in two of my three holdings, Vanguard Intermediate-Term Investment Grade and Vanguard Long-Term Investment Grade.

I emailed my Flagship rep and asked what was going on, and haven't heard back. It appears that the $50,000 minimums for Admiral did not change on those two funds. It appears that they may have been converted in error, because they are actively managed funds, not index funds. My Total Stock Market stayed Admiral.

Back in November, there were "38" funds changed to lower Admiral levels. Now it says 43 funds.

I think Vanguard hasn't communicated or handled this especially well.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

smallpotato

Post by smallpotato » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:52 pm

BlueCable wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:31 pm
My wife has a SIMPLE IRA at Vanguard ... a couple years ago, and they said that Admiral shares were not available for her SIMPLE IRA.
After the SIMPLE account is 2 years old she can transfer shares to another IRA. So, create an IRA brokerage account, transfer the SIMPLE shares to it, and convert to Admiral shares.

I have my contribution go to the Prime Money Market fund in my SIMPLE, one week later (settlement) transfer that to the settlement fund on a rollover IRA, and the next day buy ETFs.

AHTFY

Post by AHTFY » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:37 pm

profet wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:24 pm
I had to call in. Once I called they converted all shares over to Admiral in my solo 401k. There were no minimums. Can't be done online... yet.
Awesome! I'll have to call in (tomorrow or next week) and convert my shares.

catchinup

Re: anyone experiencing problems with Vanguard Admiral shares?

Post by catchinup » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:58 am

bernoulli wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:06 pm
Today I was trying to exchange some shares of my Vanguard Money Market Fund in my individual 401K into the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares. The system would not allow me to do it. It gave me a message saying something like this type of fund (the admiral shares) is not allowed in the individual 401K account. The Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares shows up in my list of available funds under my 401K plan.

I thought admiral shares are now available in individual 401K accounts? What is your experience?

Thanks!
This is an issue with their website. If you call in to place the order for admiral shares, they'll process the order. I'm annoyed they haven't fixed it yet. I called in and converted my investor shares to admiral the same week Vanguard made the announcement about the new policy with admiral shares. But you still can't purchase online from inside your solo 401K. Gotta keep calling in. They need better IT support!