What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
HIinvestor

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by HIinvestor »

Used my forever stamps that went for $.49 apiece to $.55 apiece to mail a flat rate medium sized box to D. Used 26 forever stamps + 5 $.01 stamps. Then went to Costco to buy $55 in forever stamps for $49.75. I’m happy they’re still available at the lower price, even though the cost went up last Sunday.
Elena

Post by Elena »

My dinner was a KIND protein bar that I got for free while walking the dog. She liked it too (almonds).
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Since it has been like -20 here, spouse is out of town, and I haven't needed to really leave the house I cut back on showers this week. :shock:
SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:43 pm Since it has been like -20 here, spouse is out of town, and I haven't needed to really leave the house I cut back on showers this week. :shock:
Hahaha.... We have a winner for the week. :sharebeer
OP, I recommend you bathe before your spouse returns. As many threads on this forum have shown, divorce is VERY expensive. LOL....
In all seriousness, to you and everyone else dealing with this arctic blast, bundle up and stay safe!!
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.
SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway »

neilpilot wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:18 pm
bearcub wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 am Instead of drinking craft beer last night. I had Miller High Life. Much cheaper.
I’m all for saving money, but sometimes you just need to draw the line and not get ridiculous.
+1.
Bearcub, MHL's marketing is great - Livin' the high life, etc. Which is precisely why you shouldn't be drinking MHL, hahaha.
Please splurge on craft beers (I love experimenting and finding the economical ones that appeal to my palette!) or try home brewing or picking up a growler from your local microbrewery and refilling as needed.
I am VERY frugal, but hey. If beer is part of how you enjoy life (as it is for me), life's waaay too short to be drinking crappy beer. Just sayin'.....
:sharebeer
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.
Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster »

SoAnyway wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:45 pm
neilpilot wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:18 pm
bearcub wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:02 am Instead of drinking craft beer last night. I had Miller High Life. Much cheaper.
I’m all for saving money, but sometimes you just need to draw the line and not get ridiculous.
+1.
Bearcub, MHL's marketing is great - Livin' the high life, etc. Which is precisely why you shouldn't be drinking MHL, hahaha.
Please splurge on craft beers (I love experimenting and finding the economical ones that appeal to my palette!) or try home brewing or picking up a growler from your local microbrewery and refilling as needed.
I am VERY frugal, but hey. If beer is part of how you enjoy life (as it is for me), life's waaay too short to be drinking crappy beer. Just sayin'.....
:sharebeer
No doubt. The days of quaffing Miller High Life and PBR are in the rear view mirror... :beer
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

rvflyer wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:06 pm Bought VIDBOX for MAC (about 39.00) on Amazon to do my own vhs video to DVD conversions rather than pay for someone else to do it. I have alot of tape and this product does vhs, 8mm etc.
For a split second there I thought "VIDBOX" was a mutual fund :P
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Go to my library for free movies & audio books.
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 »

Asked checkout clerk for extra plastic bags to be used (1 time) for packaging lunches.
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

I cut my cell phone plan cost from $29.95 a month (unlimited talk/text and 3gb data) to $12 a month (500 min talk, 300 MB data), as I rarely use data, and do few messags, and actually few calls on my iPhone 6. I realized that the auto payment every month was just a leakage of money. Also cancelled my local paper, which has become mostly wire service dreck from the NYT and the Washington Post and little local. Now I just read the WSJ. So I am cutting my monthly money drain down by about $42 a month, totalling the phone plan reduction and the paper. So in a way, that is a tax free return on 10k at a rate of 4.8%. I will be looking for more of those auto payment leakages. Would like to cut the cable but Comcast cleverly prices the internet/tv package at really the same rate as internet only.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

4nwestsaylng wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:01 pm Would like to cut the cable but Comcast cleverly prices the internet/tv package at really the same rate as internet only.
We have the same Comcast deal but recently figured out we can use the HBO GO app on the tv or via chromecast (or phone) to watch HBO shows of interest on demand. I don't use it on windows computers since it still requires FLASH if you can believe it in this day and age.

Worth checking out. We actually don't use the tv portion from comcast (it sucks) - we use Windows Media Center and OTA antenna - but the internet was cheaper at bandwidth we wanted. Saved money by unsubscribing to NETFLIX for a few months until we finish the HBO stuff that we want to watch. (hopefully 6 months of Netflix savings).

Code: Select all

I can't and won't watch a commercial anymore.
CORRECTION: Seems like many cable shows are one big smoking commercial (Mad Men, Sex in the City, etc)
Kersten

Post by Kersten »

1. Learned how to replace watch batteries via a U-Tube video. Purchased Energizer watch batteries at 20% off. In the past I have paid $10 to have a battery replaced in one watch. Today I replaced batteries in four watches for under $4.00.

2. While browsing in a local department store, I noticed a few shelves of 90% off Christmas items. I had "eyed" two wreaths around Christmas time, but they were $100 each. Today I got them for 90% off. Also, the store computer system had a "glitch" according to the sales lady and so, customers received the employee discount of 20%. Thus, my two wreaths totaled $16.00.

3. I live in Florida. We had hurricane Irma not too long ago. All seemed A-OK in my neighborhood-no blue plastic on roofs, indicating problems. Well all of a sudden there is blue plastic all over and roofs are being replaced, at double the cost of roofs in this area five years ago. Kind of suspicious that all of a sudden everyone needs a new roof-mostly the same roofing company is doing the roofs. I need a repair but I don't think I need a new roof. Trying to figure out how to get an honest opinion has been difficult. So I called the realtor who I hired to sell my Mom's home a few years ago. After a long long conversation with her husband, he suggested that someone who does home inspections might be a FIRST PERSON to call for an unbiased opinion(as long as that person is not affiliated with a roofer) No savings yet but I am thinking this might be the smart way to go and perhaps get an honest opinion and perhaps save the cost of a new roof versus a repair. From what I have read roofing scams abound in Florida( or hurricane states )so I think I need to be wise about how I approach the roof problem.
Moneta

Post by Moneta »

Learning to cook South Indian food so I can fill up on protein-rich lentils instead of eating meat at every meal.

I just had leftover Uzbaki carrot rice pilaf (their national dish) with South Indian sambar over the top -- it's a hot potato, lentil, carrot, onion mixture with tons of deliciousness from the spices. No meat involved, and it was really good as well as filling!

I didn't price out how much it cost per serving, but lentils, potatoes, etc. are quite a bit cheaper than meat, and I buy spices in bulk at the local ethnic market, so I know I'm saving $$.
northtexan

Post by northtexan »

Went and filled up a few 5 gallon jugs of drinking water. One dollar for 5 gallons. Its a lot better than tap water and a lot cheaper than bottled water.
Every things free

Post by Every things free »

Home made foot insoles.
I needed leather and cork.
Thrift store. Found a woman's leather long coat. Enough leather forever. $10.
Home Depot. Roll of cork with sticky backing. $4.

I traced out my insoles on the leather and cork. Stuck them together. Walaha. Best insoles ever. Form fitted to my feet.

Kim
You know when you are rich. You can buy anything you want but want nothing.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

We bought windshield wipers from Costco for $8.99, we returned the same pairs from O’reilley for $27 and $25.
The net savings was about $39 for a day.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Kersten wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:52 pm 1. Learned how to replace watch batteries via a U-Tube video. Purchased Energizer watch batteries at 20% off. In the past I have paid $10 to have a battery replaced in one watch. Today I replaced batteries in four watches for under $4.00.
That is a good one. I bought a tool for opening up the back of some watches that don't open with a screwdriver on eBay years ago. It has saved a lot of money. The Movado store wanted $50 to change a watch battery!

I also bought a tool to remove links from better watches for a few bucks. You can do it without the tool sometimes, but risk scratching things and the tool makes it much easier.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:31 pm
Kersten wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:52 pm 1. Learned how to replace watch batteries via a U-Tube video. Purchased Energizer watch batteries at 20% off. In the past I have paid $10 to have a battery replaced in one watch. Today I replaced batteries in four watches for under $4.00.
That is a good one. I bought a tool for opening up the back of some watches that don't open with a screwdriver on eBay years ago. It has saved a lot of money. The Movado store wanted $50 to change a watch battery!

I also bought a tool to remove links from better watches for a few bucks. You can do it without the tool sometimes, but risk scratching things and the tool makes it much easier.
My watches don’t use batteries, so my frugality exceeds yours. :D
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:16 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:31 pm

My watches don’t use batteries, so my frugality exceeds yours. :D
That depends on the price of the watches. :shock:
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:16 pm My watches don’t use batteries, so my frugality exceeds yours. :D
I don’t even own a watch anymore. I use my iPhone 5 (which still works great) to tell the time. It is in my pocket at all times. I must save at least $10 a year on watch batteries!!
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

Did 4 x 4 minute rounds of 20:10 seconds HIIT exercise in my living room to Spotify music.

Saving 150 bucks a month by not going to gym!

Also, joined library while there colouring with my 4 year old and checked out my first book which I had on my amazon checkout, saved 8 bucks!
edudumb

Post by edudumb »

Tracked a flight price on Google Flight for many weeks and booked it at what I thought the cheapest price -- $54.

20 hours later, the price dropped to $52. I cancelled the original flight and rebooked it -- $2 saved.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Pete12 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:14 am
Nicolas wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:16 pm My watches don’t use batteries, so my frugality exceeds yours. :D
I don’t even own a watch anymore. I use my iPhone 5 (which still works great) to tell the time. It is in my pocket at all times. I must save at least $10 a year on watch batteries!!
I don't use a watch or iphone, I use my sun dial.

Kidding :wink:
Carson

Post by Carson »

I bought some mini english cucumbers, cut them into quarters (length-wise) and stuck them in a jar of the brine that remained after we finished up some pickles. Pop back in the refrigerator, and I replenished my favorite pickle supply in 2 days. :beer
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

minimalistmarc wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:28 am...

Also, joined library while there colouring with my 4 year old and checked out my first book which I had on my amazon checkout, saved 8 bucks!
You can use your library membership to access the library's online research tools from home. (Put your property tax dollars to work for you.)

Example. Many of Morningstar's subscription features are available for free when accessed through your library account. It's interesting to use M*'s premium Portfolio X-Ray tool to look at your total family investments.

Did I mention that you can do this from home?

Example. From home, you can also search the library's book (and media) catalog for the other books on your Amazon list. Put in a request for them. The library will send you an email when each is ready to be picked up/checked out. You will have one week to pick up each from the library's "holding" area.

You will want to stagger your requests over several weeks because you can't read all of them at once, and if there is a "hold" (for someone else) on the book when its due date arrives, then you will not be able to renew your checkout. So best to stagger your requests so you know you have time to finish each before its due date.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

Went to an $8. Movie in Manhattan using my half price MetroCard. It was a crying baby matinee but no crying babies. Got a 5$ sushi roll at the Fairway next door on the way home to Brooklyn.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

Made my own chicken noodle soup. Yum! :moneybag :idea:
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Discussions of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law is totally unacceptable.

I removed a post and several replies which violate Xfinity's terms of service (using someone else's account for wi-fi access).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Carson wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:38 pm I bought some mini english cucumbers, cut them into quarters (length-wise) and stuck them in a jar of the brine that remained after we finished up some pickles. Pop back in the refrigerator, and I replenished my favorite pickle supply in 2 days. :beer

I do something similar by re-infusing (apple cider) vinegar into my favorite pepper sauce.

I like Big Tex (Tabasco) Pepper Sauce. It tastes great on Glory Mixed Greens (Southern style). But the bottle is small so the contents don't last long. What to do?

I now have a larger pickle jar that I filled with Tabasco peppers as I emptied each Big Tex bottle. An ice pick hole in the top takes care of dispensing the pepper sauce.

When the large jar is full of peppers (5x bottles of Big Tex peppers), I...
--Fill it full of apple cider vinegar. (Now I know how much liquid is needed.)
--Then pour the vinegar into a sauce pan and heat to boiling. (You will remember to turn on vent hood.)
--Then pour the hot vinegar into the large jar, allow it to cool, then put it into refrigerator to wait.

While waiting for the flavors to blend, I open a new bottle of Big Tex and use it up in a couple of weeks. When it's empty, I save it in the refrigerator and go back to using the large jar of pepper sauce.

After I've emptied and re-infused the large jar 5x, I have 5 empty bottles of Big Tex peppers waiting in the refrigerator. So I dump out the large jar peppers onto the compost pile, and refill it with the peppers from the saved 5 Big Tex bottles waiting in the refrigerator.

I feel sorry for rabbits that bite into the discarded Tabasco peppers.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa »

I've started taking my after workout shower at the gym instead of waiting until I get home. It saves me time because I don't take as long of a shower at the gym and it saves me money because I'm using less water at home! It's a win-win.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

jumbopapa wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:04 pm I've started taking my after workout shower at the gym instead of waiting until I get home. It saves me time because I don't take as long of a shower at the gym and it saves me money because I'm using less water at home! It's a win-win.
Haven't taken a shower at home in a long time. My corporate gym is 1/3 mile away, I'm there Monday-Saturday anyway, and I get employer-provided shampoo and bodywash.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

I just got a Prius last month and am now being a crazy MPG person, by constantly looking at my MPG meter and not using the heat during my morning commute.
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

Commuted my first week to work with my bicycle. Yeah!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Not today, but recently I told the eyeglasses place that I was NOT going the pay the amount billed to me because they screwed up my vision insurance calculation. And to my surprise, they sent me an updated bill with the amount to pay zeroed out and the missing money labelled as "Insurance write-off."
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
germark

Post by germark »

Took the bus instead of uber.
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Recently purchased an instant pot and we have increased our use of dried lentils, beans etc. in recipes - no soaking required and a good way to fill up on cheap protein. Our heating bills have also reduced correspondingly due to all the extra "gas" in the house!! :P
carol-brennan

Post by carol-brennan »

I'm sorry that most of the replies I've read to your post are smart-alecky. Just let that stuff roll off. Kinda sad, though.

I've done these things, not today but since the new year:

Swore off Starbucks. No more $4 coffees for me. Over the course of the year that will save me well over a thousand dollars. Plus I'm liking my own coffee better now anyway.

Said no to expensive razors.

Cutting back on: cell phone bills, tax preparation services, cable TV, and most importantly, I'm eyeing the things around the place here that I'm not using enough. Going to sell it all.
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

carol-brennan wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:30 am
Swore off Starbucks. No more $4 coffees for me. Over the course of the year that will save me well over a thousand dollars. Plus I'm liking my own coffee better now anyway.
Living most my life in Europe I never got why people run to Starbucks anyways. The coffee is usually awful and not enjoyable. I guess it must be convenience for most buyers.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I was getting ready to pay $180 for an annual subscription to Adobe Reader DC, when I I decided to try several free PDF readers. After several hours of testing, I found a free PDF reader that serves my needs.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

VictoriaF wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:46 am I was getting ready to pay $180 for an annual subscription to Adobe Reader DC, when I I decided to try several free PDF readers. After several hours of testing, I found a free PDF reader that serves my needs.

Victoria
............and the name of that PDF reader is?
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

Ice finally melted away today.
Rode my bike to work for the first time this year!
Saved 20 miles worth of gasoline and, my lungs feeling mighty happy - priceless.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

neilpilot wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:50 am
VictoriaF wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:46 am I was getting ready to pay $180 for an annual subscription to Adobe Reader DC, when I I decided to try several free PDF readers. After several hours of testing, I found a free PDF reader that serves my needs.

Victoria
............and the name of that PDF reader is?
PDF-XChange Editor, https://www.tracker-software.com/produc ... nge-editor . When you first launch it, the interface is very busy, but you can easily turn off menu options that you are not planning to use.

My primary requirement for a PDF application is to read books and papers, highlight sentences and paragraphs, add my own comments in the form of Sticky Notes, and then extract the highlighted text together with my own related notes. After extensive testing of PDF-XChange, including turning on and off various options, I now have it working perfectly for me.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
jb1

Post by jb1 »

Took all the doors off in my house to save wear and tear on my hinges
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Did not push the gas pedal down as hard!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
mindgap

Post by mindgap »

Faith20879 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:52 am Ice finally melted away today.
Rode my bike to work for the first time this year!
Saved 20 miles worth of gasoline and, my lungs feeling mighty happy - priceless.
Awesome. Did the same this week. It feels so good to be out of the car and enjoy nature.
BuyandHold37

Post by BuyandHold37 »

Used some skymiles to reduce my ticket price
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Nectarineman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:05 am Since frugality seems to be a way of life, what did you do today that was frugal?

As for me, worked out at the gym, but shaved and took an extra long shower there to save on my utilities.

:D
Recently I have been using Uber instead of using a car service, a taxi service or an airport shuttle service. Uber is much, much cheaper than all of the rest. I am also not expected to give a tip when using Uber. Even more savings.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I am not renewing my Consumer Report's online subscription. Just like the paper magazine I didn't renew last year, I just don't find that much useful info for our current lifestyle in retirement.

We just purchased a new suite of kitchen appliances, so I won't be shopping them again for some time.

Others do find Consumer Reports useful, if I need to research something that I think CR's info would be helpful, I'll just visit the library.

I did renew my Bloomberg BusinessWeek magazine subscription for another year of delivery at my "one-time only" renewal rate of $2/year, for the 5th or 6th time now. I thought sure I wouldn't be able to renew again this year, but here I am.

I also get a yearly subscription to The New Yorker mag for $2/year. Same thing as my Bloomberg BusinessWeek mag, Every year I cancel the magazine renewal, and every year I get my cheap offer.

For Christmas last year I paid $12 total for 3,1 year subscriptions of The Food Network magazine. Wife and DDs were worth at least $4.

I guess the magazine companies want legit subscriptions for ad rates, even if they are basically giving away the publications.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Dimmed the lights in the house.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Loaded up on my favorite chocolates (in Valentines wrapping) at 50% off! :mrgreen:
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)