The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Leesbro63

Re: The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses

Post by Leesbro63 »

This may have bee discussed somewhere above: Can Vanguard Admiral Shares be held in a TDAmeritrade account? I get it that I may not be able to buy more, but will they accept and hold what I have?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:17 pm This may have bee discussed somewhere above: Can Vanguard Admiral Shares be held in a TDAmeritrade account? I get it that I may not be able to buy more, but will they accept and hold what I have?
I have had Admiral shares in a few TDA accounts since they acquired Scottrade. Hold and dividend reinvestment has worked fine.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

neilpilot wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:28 pm
Leesbro63 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:17 pm This may have bee discussed somewhere above: Can Vanguard Admiral Shares be held in a TDAmeritrade account? I get it that I may not be able to buy more, but will they accept and hold what I have?
I have had Admiral shares in a few TDA accounts since they acquired Scottrade. Hold and dividend reinvestment has worked fine.
That's what I wanted to know. Thank you.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I started a purchase at TDA for VTSAX. It let me get started and the info didn't say it wasn't available. I don't have adequate cash in the account to get much farther.
robertmcd

Post by robertmcd »

Does anyone know if I can transfer VMMXX from vanguard to merill edge? And once it is in merrill edge can I sell it without a commission or not?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

robertmcd wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:35 am Does anyone know if I can transfer VMMXX from vanguard to merill edge? And once it is in merrill edge can I sell it without a commission or not?
Based on my very poor customer service experience with ME, I'm not sure they even know.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

robertmcd wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:35 am Does anyone know if I can transfer VMMXX from vanguard to merill edge? And once it is in merrill edge can I sell it without a commission or not?
Why would that be important? Transfers don't take long. Just use cash.
SVT

Post by SVT »

Can I open a 2nd CMA account with ME and get the bonus? I was looking at the current $900 ME bonus. My last bonus with them was over a year ago if that matters.
ananthar

Post by ananthar »

You don't need to open a 2nd account, you can just transfer another $200K by April 15 to the same account for the $900 bonus, as long as you have not received any bonus in the last 12 months. You can then transfer the entire $200k (or more) out after 90 days and still keep the $900 bonus. This was explained to me in a cold-call by my ME broker!

You need to call your ME broker to link the $900 bonus offer to your account before you do the transfer otherwise you just get $600 for a $200K additional money transfer.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Today in email I received a targeted offer from Etrade:
Offer valid for existing E*TRADE Securities retirement accounts and excludes E*TRADE Securities brokerage, E*TRADE Futures, E*TRADE Bank, and E*TRADE Savings Bank accounts. Other restrictions may apply.

1. Cash credits for eligible deposits or transfers of new funds or securities from accounts outside of E*TRADE will be made as follows: $1,000,000 or more will receive $2,500; $500,000–$999,999 will receive $1,500; $250,000–$499,999 will receive $1,000; $100,000–$249,999 will receive $500; $25,000–$99,999 will receive $200
Kind of unusual to have it IRA only. I'll have to look over my available Roth funds for transfer. The one-year retention period is a bit of a drag. Actually the best deal is the $200 for 25k transfer.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:38 am Today in email I received a targeted offer from Etrade:
Offer valid for existing E*TRADE Securities retirement accounts and excludes E*TRADE Securities brokerage, E*TRADE Futures, E*TRADE Bank, and E*TRADE Savings Bank accounts. Other restrictions may apply.

1. Cash credits for eligible deposits or transfers of new funds or securities from accounts outside of E*TRADE will be made as follows: $1,000,000 or more will receive $2,500; $500,000–$999,999 will receive $1,500; $250,000–$499,999 will receive $1,000; $100,000–$249,999 will receive $500; $25,000–$99,999 will receive $200
Kind of unusual to have it IRA only. I'll have to look over my available Roth funds for transfer. The one-year retention period is a bit of a drag. Actually the best deal is the $200 for 25k transfer.
Spoke to a local ETrade wealth rep - they could match it to brokerage type accounts too..
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:38 am Today in email I received a targeted offer from Etrade:

I need an IRA promo....but don't have an existing E-trade account anymore. They will give $1200 for a $500k transfer but only taxable.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:04 pm I need an IRA promo....but don't have an existing E-trade account anymore. They will give $1200 for a $500k transfer but only taxable.
If you didn't get the email, you can always contact them and say you heard about it, then ask if they could give it to you for a new IRA. Never hurts to try.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:12 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:04 pm I need an IRA promo....but don't have an existing E-trade account anymore. They will give $1200 for a $500k transfer but only taxable.
If you didn't get the email, you can always contact them and say you heard about it, then ask if they could give it to you for a new IRA. Never hurts to try.
I was looking at the Ally Invest. They will give $1200 for a $500k IRA. They look okay. I really don't need much. I rebalance annually so trading fees aren't really important.

What I am wondering is should I move my taxable from TDA too? I'd rather not, but am wondering if that will keep me from getting a bonus next time (like in a year if I want to go back to TDA from Ally and get a bonus). In other words, if I have an existing account would it keep me from getting a new account bonus in a year? I'm not sure if TDA works that way.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

TDA has been one that hands out bonuses pretty easily. I'm sure they have some limits, but having an existing account has never been a problem in the past.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:30 pm TDA has been one that hands out bonuses pretty easily. I'm sure they have some limits, but having an existing account has never been a problem in the past.
TDA has also handed out retention bonuses so you might want to let them know you are considering a move.
hailstate

Post by hailstate »

I opened the Chase Sapphire Checking account in branch last week for the 60k Ultimate Rewards bonus. Just wanted to follow up on my (long) post with more (long) info from my CPC banker:

-They will waive the $25 monthly fee for the first two months while you get everything set up and transferred. She was kind of shady about this, and double-checked that I was a CSR customer. Not sure if this is the case for all new customers?
-From DOC posts, the UR seem to be 1099d at 1cpp. She had previously told me they weren’t 1099d.
-I opened a Chase savings account at the same time. The money you transfer in for a savings bonus counts towards the $75k in assets.
-Interesting note from the fine print: Chase savings fees are waived if you are a Sapphire Checking customer. So there isn’t the need to keep $300 in the savings account for three months until you can close. You do need $75k in combined assets to keep the account fee free.
-There is a $75 fee when securities are transferred out of the YouInvest account. She had previously told me $0. I can’t find an account closing fee and she again said there wasn’t one, I assume it’s “covered” by the above.
-This offer is already extended to March, so her first thought on future offers being lower was not accurate.
-Probably accounts for her inconsistency / inaccuracy, but YouInvest seems to be a totally separate product. “Self directed” seems to mean that Chase bankers don’t touch it AT ALL. I had to set it up myself (website died the first try), print out the asset transfer forms myself, go to the post office to mail them (they won't take them in branch, there also doesn't seem to be a fax option?), etc. This is a stark contrast to my experience with Merrill Edge where my BofA banker had all the forms waiting for my signature and then sent them right to her back office.
-Along these lines, for a partial transfer you will need to print out forms, fill them out, have them notarized (was done by my CPC, at least), and then mail them in along with a recent account statement from the transferring brokerage. There may be a way to do it online for a full transfer, I didn’t go far enough down that path. It was kind of a pain and I’m used to letting the brokerage deal with all of it themselves.
-Initial impressions of the set up are not overly positive, especially with the CPC bankers being unable to do basically anything with YouInvest. I don’t use many checking account perks, but I’ll see if they come in handy.
-I do a fair amount of brokerage deals and this one, while a bit more complicated / time-consuming, was a good deal for only $75k. I do fly Lufthansa to Europe quite often so I value URs highly.

Hope that wasn’t too long, and that again I could be a bit of help to anyone looking to do this deal.
Last edited by hailstate on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
hailstate

Post by hailstate »

Another DP on the 12 month BofA restriction:

I received an unsolicited email from Merrill Edge advertising their current $900 Preferred Rewards client deal. No fine print about 12 months. I reached out to my broker and received the following reply:

"Normally we can’t initiate a cash back offer within 12 months of being paid out on a different cash back offer. It’s possible that I can have an exception offer created by my manager if you were planning to move more new money into Merrill Edge."
Mike14

Post by Mike14 »

hailstate wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:38 am "Normally we can’t initiate a cash back offer within 12 months of being paid out on a different cash back offer. It’s possible that I can have an exception offer created by my manager if you were planning to move more new money into Merrill Edge."
I wouldn't push them on this, but based on my research it seems that their system will reward the bonus, but any custom offer that is manually added by a banker will have that restriction.
fire_maybe

Post by fire_maybe »

I have shares at E-Trade that will soon reach the minimum holding period to avoid a clawback and I'm debating between (1) moving it to Ally, Merrill, or TD Ameritrade for another bonus or (2) moving more money into E-Trade (about 1/2 the amount that is there now) for another bonus if E-Trade is willing. (2) would unfortunately probably mean locking up the whole thing for 6 more months.

It seems like the best route is to just move everything out of E-Trade and hope they'll let me do another bonus at some point in the future after cycling through everyone else. Does that make sense?

Also, which brokerages will agree to prorate bonuses above the top tier? I don't really want to split up shares after reading some horror stories about tax lot information getting messed up.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

fire_maybe wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:10 pm I have shares at E-Trade that will soon reach the minimum holding period to avoid a clawback and I'm debating between (1) moving it to Ally, Merrill, or TD Ameritrade for another bonus or (2) moving more money into E-Trade (about 1/2 the amount that is there now) for another bonus if E-Trade is willing. (2) would unfortunately probably mean locking up the whole thing for 6 more months.

It seems like the best route is to just move everything out of E-Trade and hope they'll let me do another bonus at some point in the future after cycling through everyone else. Does that make sense?
I don't know that moving in a new amount will block moving out the old. I'd move the new in first so that they know you didn't just return the old money.
fire_maybe

Post by fire_maybe »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:01 pm I don't know that moving in a new amount will block moving out the old. I'd move the new in first so that they know you didn't just return the old money.
This last bonus had paperwork attached and there is specific phrasing in one section, here:
Customer's Account will have a minimum balance of $_______ ("Minimum Balance") within two weeks from the Effective Date ("Funding Date").
Which makes it sound like the total amount matters if they are doing any kind of one-off bonus deal rather than the incoming amount. If I decide to hang with E-Trade for another 6 months, I'll definitely move in the new money first.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

fire_maybe wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:15 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:01 pm I don't know that moving in a new amount will block moving out the old. I'd move the new in first so that they know you didn't just return the old money.
This last bonus had paperwork attached and there is specific phrasing in one section, here:
Customer's Account will have a minimum balance of $_______ ("Minimum Balance") within two weeks from the Effective Date ("Funding Date").
Which makes it sound like the total amount matters if they are doing any kind of one-off bonus deal rather than the incoming amount. If I decide to hang with E-Trade for another 6 months, I'll definitely move in the new money first.
Paperwork? I've never received anything like that. Was there a number, and was it more than the new money? Normally only the amount transferred in matters for a bonus, unless you're getting a retention bonus.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

It seems like the best award for a transfer in the 100K-200K range (below 200K, so no ME $900) is $300 from TDAM and Etrade.

Is that correct ? $500 is normally the best you can get for that amount, but there doesn't seem to be a $500 offer on the table.

And nothing from Fidelity in the < $1M range, IIRC.
fire_maybe

Post by fire_maybe »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:08 am Paperwork? I've never received anything like that. Was there a number, and was it more than the new money? Normally only the amount transferred in matters for a bonus, unless you're getting a retention bonus.
The amount was filled into the blank space. It was a number exceeding the top tier hence the one-off agreement for a slightly higher negotiated bonus. The account was fairly small prior to that incoming transfer.
hailstate

Post by hailstate »

Another DP on the 12 month BofA restriction:

I received an unsolicited email from Merrill Edge advertising their current $900 Preferred Rewards client deal. No fine print about 12 months. I reached out to my broker and received the following reply:

"Normally we can’t initiate a cash back offer within 12 months of being paid out on a different cash back offer. It’s possible that I can have an exception offer created by my manager if you were planning to move more new money into Merrill Edge."
Follow-up: I replied and told my broker that I was interested in the offer, but that if she couldn't get me an exception then I just wouldn't transfer more money to Merrill Edge at the moment. Within a couple hours I had a call from her back office authorizing an exception offer on my account. Only difference was a 6 month holding period (not 3). No need to open a new account, either.

So it seems pretty easy to get around, at least in my case. My takeaways would be to a) communicate in advance of a transfer, b) mention you received an unsolicited email offer from Merrill Edge, and c) tell them (politely) that without the offer you just won't be giving them more money.
pre

Post by pre »

hailstate wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:51 pm The enhanced Merrill Edge offers are available again, until Jan 12, 2019:

https://www.merrilledge.com/offers/1000 ... ail_vanity
The offer's back again, until April 11, 2019:

https://www.merrilledge.com/offers/1000 ... -_-orlms19
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

pre wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:09 pm
hailstate wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:51 pm The enhanced Merrill Edge offers are available again, until Jan 12, 2019:

Crap. I literally just opened an account yesterday for the $900 one, but haven't moved any money yet.

What are my options?

- Should I close the one I just opened and open a new one with this bonus?

- I have a customer service rep's email who I talked to over the phone about opening up the $900 one. Should I try to get him to attach this one instead? The $1000 one"requires" you to be an expo attendee though so I'm not sure that would fly.

- Just do the $900 one and forget about the extra $100?

What would you guys do?
pre

Post by pre »

JustinR wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:19 pm

Crap. I literally just opened an account yesterday for the $900 one, but haven't moved any money yet.

What are my options?

- I have a customer service rep's email who I talked to over the phone about opening up the $900 one. Should I try to get him to attach this one instead? The $1000 one"requires" you to be an expo attendee though so I'm not sure that would fly.

What would you guys do?
I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. Did the $600 offer then called my relationship manager to switch over to the $1000 offer code. That got extra eyes on my accounts and disqualified that account from any bonus, neither the $600 nor $1000, because I had received another offer in the past 12 months. It's usually not enforced, but I suspect my offer code change request triggered something. I've gotten multiple Merrill bonuses credited without issue, within 12 months, albeit with different offer codes.

If this is your only CMA/IRA account, I'd just ask a sales rep to switch the offer code. Wait for the coding change to be approved in writing, e.g. email, then fund.

But if you're working on concurrent offers, might want to wait a bit of time, then quietly (without manual intervention and extra eyes on your accounts) go for this Money Show $1000 offer as a new application
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

pre wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:42 pm
JustinR wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:19 pm

What are my options?

What would you guys do?
I was in the same boat as you a few years ago. Did the $600 offer then called my relationship manager to switch over to the $1000 offer code. That got extra eyes on my accounts and disqualified that account from any bonus, neither the $600 nor $1000, because I had received another offer in the past 12 months. It's usually not enforced, but I suspect my offer code change request triggered something. I've gotten multiple Merrill bonuses credited without issue, within 12 months, albeit with different offer codes.

If this is your only CMA/IRA account, I'd just ask a sales rep to switch the offer code. Wait for the coding change to be approved in writing, e.g. email, then fund.

But if you're working on concurrent offers, might want to wait a bit of time, then quietly (without manual intervention and extra eyes on your accounts) go for this Money Show $1000 offer as a new application
Thanks for your data point and advice.

I just noticed that the $1000 one is for 6 months while the $900 one is for 3 months. So the $900 one might actually be better...
SlowMovingInvestor

pre wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:42 pm

The offer says

Offer is limited to one CMA and one IRA, with no more than two enrolled accounts per accountholder.

Note that the bonus is actually paid out after 180 days, so technically the account is not even enrolled once the bonus is paid out. They've mentioned the 1 bonus/year to me as well, but the T&C don't specify that.

I concur with your idea of flying under the radar for a bonus. Although if you have a pending bonus in another account, probably better to wait till that is paid out.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

The last several times the $1000 offer has appeared the money show/expo requirement has been on the page. As far as I know, it hasn't made any difference if you use the code to sign up. It might make it tough to get a code manually changed.
kxl19

Post by kxl19 »

If I'm opening both a CMA and IRA account, is there any way to ensure that the bonus is deposited into the IRA? (ie, 100k in Roth and 100k CMA are transferred in - which account will receive the transfer bonus?)

This way the bonus can go in tax free vs. having to to deal with a 1099...
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

kxl19 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:43 am If I'm opening both a CMA and IRA account, is there any way to ensure that the bonus is deposited into the IRA? (ie, 100k in Roth and 100k CMA are transferred in - which account will receive the transfer bonus?)

Usually you don't combine transfers for a bonus. The custodian might allow that if you contact them. Likely they would pro-rate among accounts.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

deleted
Last edited by neilpilot on Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

neilpilot wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:22 pm
kxl19 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:43 am If I'm opening both a CMA and IRA account, is there any way to ensure that the bonus is deposited into the IRA? (ie, 100k in Roth and 100k CMA are transferred in - which account will receive the transfer bonus?)

This way the bonus can go in tax free deferred
I think it was clear that the IRA is a Roth. So tax free was correct.
sco

Post by sco »

For smaller ira’s, say 30k. I don’t see much out there that is worth the paperwork, once you factor in a possible account closure fee.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

sco wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:39 pm For smaller ira’s, say 30k. I don’t see much out there that is worth the paperwork, once you factor in a possible account closure fee.
Fewer custodians charge a fee these days, especially for partial transfers. And most receivers will cover the fee in addition to a bonus.
sco

Post by sco »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:15 pm
sco wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:39 pm For smaller ira’s, say 30k. I don’t see much out there that is worth the paperwork, once you factor in a possible account closure fee.
Fewer custodians charge a fee these days, especially for partial transfers. And most receivers will cover the fee in addition to a bonus.
More concerned about transfering back. Don't want to leave a .01 account at Swabb at something just to get the funds eventually back to fidelity.
sc9182

Post by sc9182 »

Thinking this is not a repeat, given that last offer link seems to have expired.

Fidelity Deposit amount ~~ Cash bonus

$1,000,000 to $2,499,999 ~~ $2,500
$2,500,000 to $4,999,999 ~~ $3,500
$5,000,000 or more ~~ $5,000

https://rewards.fidelity.com/offers/cashdepositbonus
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

sc9182 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:31 pm Thinking this is not a repeat, given that last offer link seems to have expired.

Fidelity Deposit amount ~~ Cash bonus

$1,000,000 to $2,499,999 ~~ $2,500
$2,500,000 to $4,999,999 ~~ $3,500
$5,000,000 or more ~~ $5,000

https://rewards.fidelity.com/offers/cashdepositbonus
Thanks for this. I had been negotiating a $3500 retention bonus at Fidelity in lieu of $4500 in bonuses for transferring funds from Fidelity to three other brokers. I think I will go ahead with those transfers, collect the $4500, then transfer those back to Fidelity after the lock-up period for an additional $2500.
FlamingoTime

Post by FlamingoTime »

Opened a Merrill Edge account a few months ago for $900 bonus. $200,000. (Self directed) Received a call from a Rep who was trying to get me to bring over more for additional bonus. Never mentioned there being an issue due to the fact that I just received a bonus.

Also, I learned something. They will give me a bonus for transferring brokered Cds from Vanguard. And the CD's will count towards my $100k minimum balance I need to keep my Platinum Rewards status.
privatefarmer

Post by privatefarmer »

FlamingoTime wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:49 pm Opened a Merrill Edge account a few months ago for $900 bonus. $200,000. (Self directed) Received a call from a Rep who was trying to get me to bring over more for additional bonus. Never mentioned there being an issue due to the fact that I just received a bonus.

Also, I learned something. They will give me a bonus for transferring brokered Cds from Vanguard. And the CD's will count towards my $100k minimum balance I need to keep my Platinum Rewards status.
how much more did they offer to give you? I originally got $600 from them for 200k transfer, just rcvd it few days ago, and then I complained and they said they'd give me an additional $400 (total $1000 bonus) w/o having to transfer more to them...
pre

Post by pre »

b0B wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:01 pm Merrill Edge is cracking down. They will deny a bonus for bringing in assets they determine have been previously held in Merrill Edge, even if those assets had not been used for a bonus before. You cannot find out what value they calculate for assets brought in. They won't tell you if you ask. You just find out after the holding period when you see what bonus, if any, you get.

Also, don't use the Money Show code. They'll demand proof that you were there.

Also, always open a new account. Don't ask for a bonus to be added to an already open account, as this seems to be asking for scrutiny and trouble.
Hmm, mind sharing your experience/anecdote with this? I just did two new accounts with the January promotion and my relationship manager touched base with me to reimburse the 2x ACATS fees. I mentioned attending a financial seminar where the promotion was offered and he was cordial/supportive.

One of the accounts had holdings I previously kept with Merrill, too.
SlowMovingInvestor

b0B wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:01 pm Merrill Edge is cracking down. They will deny a bonus for bringing in assets they determine have been previously held in Merrill Edge, even if those assets had not been used for a bonus before. You cannot find out what value they calculate for assets brought in. They won't tell you if you ask. You just find out after the holding period when you see what bonus, if any, you get.
I don't really see how they can do that. Nowhere in the T&C does it say that.

Maybe if it's assets that you transfer out just after the holding period and transfer in within a few days, yes. Or if you have more than one bonus per account type in 1 year.
SlowMovingInvestor

b0B wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:40 pm It was the only bonus in a year. They disqualified assets that they deemed had been in the account in the past. I believe this is what happens when you get "human eyes" on an account, and an individual has the discretion to modify the bonus at will.
Thanks for the tip. I agree that getting human eyes on an account may cause problems.

I still don't see how they can legally justify disqualifying assets that had been in the account in the past, unless it was just in the last month or so. The T&Cs say nothing about that. Still, it's best to vote with one's feet in such cases.
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

Also, don't use the Money Show code. They'll demand proof that you were there.

Also, always open a new account. Don't ask for a bonus to be added to an already open account, as this seems to be asking for scrutiny and trouble.
What did they consider acceptable forms of proof that you were at the MoneyShow?
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

b0B wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:40 pm It was the only bonus in a year. They disqualified assets that they deemed had been in the account in the past. I believe this is what happens when you get "human eyes" on an account, and an individual has the discretion to modify the bonus at will.
If it's not in the fine print of the bonus, file a CFPB complaint.
Time2Decumulate

Post by Time2Decumulate »

Recent offer from Etrade (better than what's on the web site)

Code: Select all

You are now enrolled in the TF60D_2500CFC_IRA promotion. Here is how it works:

Deposit or Transfer	Receive
$1MM	$2,500 		60 Days of commission free trades
$500K - $999,999	$1,500 60 Days of commission free trades
$250K - $499,999	$1,000 60 Days of commission free trades
$100K - $249,999	$500 60 Days of commission free trades
$25K - $99,999		$200 60 Days of commission free trades
$10K - $24,999		60 Days of commission free trades
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Has anyone tried Ally? I think I am going for the $1200 bonus for $500k+ from TDA. I haven't seen anything really negative, but wanted to ask before taking the plunge since I will be stuck there 300 days. Chances are good I will not make any trades so not sure how much could go wrong. It is the best bonus I've found for an IRA without a lot of hoops.