Tributes to Jack Bogle

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
birnhamwood

Re: Tributes to Jack Bogle

Post by birnhamwood »

I am very sorry to learn of Mr. Bogle's passing. I owe my financial success to him and the Bogleheads, particularly Mr. Larimore and Mel L. I was a participant on this board many years ago.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

birnhamwood wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:13 pm I am very sorry to learn of Mr. Bogle's passing. I owe my financial success to him and the Bogleheads, particularly Mr. Larimore and Mel L. I was a participant on this board many years ago.
Welcome back, even though it's under such sad circumstances.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

birnhamwood wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:13 pm I am very sorry to learn of Mr. Bogle's passing. I owe my financial success to him and the Bogleheads, particularly Mr. Larimore and Mel L. I was a participant on this board many years ago.
birnhamwood:

Thank you for coming back with your kind post. I hope you will continue posting here so that we can learn from your experiences.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Chris K Jones

Post by Chris K Jones »

Rest in Peace, Mr. Bogle. You changed my life and that of my family.
TM90

Re: Who Will Speak for US?

Post by TM90 »

NMBob wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:29 pm He did have some website some time ago where as best I recalled, pushed having more healthcare, value stocks, small caps than just straight total market though. Dont think there is a clear record of retraction as you indicate, he just states the new I guess.
:confused :confused

Source?
toledomike

Re: Morningstar's Tribute to Jack Bogle

Post by toledomike »

LadyGeek wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:06 pm
Taylor Larimore wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:44 pm Bogleheads:

Morningstar has posted their own tributes to Jack Bogle:

https://www.morningstar.com/videos/9082 ... bogle.html

Taylor
Christine Benz is understating how much she enjoyed interviewing, and speaking with, Jack during the annual Bogleheads Conferences. I was at those conferences and could tell that both she and Jack were having a fun time being together.
You are right about Christine. Mr. Bogle and Christine were a mutual admiration society. I re-watched last year's interviews that Benz did with Jack and it brought tears to my eyes.
goingup

Post by goingup »

motorcyclesarecool wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:58 am
goingup wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:43 am I'm not sure Mr. Bogle would appreciate this comparison, but I think about Ralph Nader and his crusade to improve automobile safety. He famously opened consumer eyes to the dangers of car travel and manufacturers reluctance to improve safety. A combination of increased consumer awareness and government intervention changed the automobile marketplace. Safety features became a major selling point for cars.
Nader was a critic. He got headlines, laws passed, and products banned.

Bogle was a visionary who created a company in line with his vision. He brought new, better choices into the market. Bogle proved the effectiveness of his vision and many players in the industry followed suit. He didn’t have to get anything banned in order for his vision to succeed.
My point was that once public awareness has been raised, consumer demand can do the heavy lifting. Jack Bogle made us aware of mutual fund costs, and now investors demand low cost mutual funds. The OP's post asked who would carry the torch now that Jack's gone, and my response would be that the Bogle effect will live on, even without the torch bearer.
cloneman33

Post by cloneman33 »

Rest In Peace Mr. Bogle, just getting started with your wonderful philosophy and guidance. Gods Peace to your family. Thanks for caring about the little guy and his future. You changed the world forever!
NMBob

Post by NMBob »

TM90 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:30 am
NMBob wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:29 pm He did have some website some time ago where as best I recalled, pushed having more healthcare, value stocks, small caps than just straight total market though. Dont think there is a clear record of retraction as you indicate, he just states the new I guess.
:confused :confused

Source?
To clarify possible confusion, that comment is about Ben Stein in the "Who will speak for us" thread that was merged into this thread.

There are several older threads on Stein on this website.

He and Demuth issued a book "Yes, you can supercharge your portfolio". apparently may have come with software..which might have been the precursor to the website I saw several years ago." (apparently this might have Quantext Portfolio Planning (QPP) software program.)

Also read Demuths post in Bogleheads forum Fri Mar 07 5:43 PM talking about their book and the principles in it.
viewtopic.php?t=12041

He also wrote a book several years ago about alternative investments. He also warns against high fees on annuities but also says they can be a good option and is glad his parents have/had one.
Last edited by NMBob on Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty »

Thinking long and hard, the best I've come up with is simple, yet multilayered. Just two words.

Thank you.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

J0721 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:00 am [Please post your tributes to Jack here. --admin LadyGeek]

RIP Jack Bogle and thank you for all that you have contributed to the success of individual investors. Definitely an amazing man and amazing mind for finance. I just thought I would start something where we could share our favorite quotes of all time. I always loved this one!

Buffett called me a hero, but I'm just a guy 'who gave a damn' about investors, says Jack Bogle
Thank you for coming back to the best forum! Please continue to share your experiences.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
moneywise3

Gratitude

Post by moneywise3 »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Mr Bogle's passing made me somewhat emotional. Life is not just about numbers. Besides posting on social media, I thought of giving my tributes to him by reading The Little Book of Common Sense Investing (2017).

It's gratifying to know that I don't need to learn anything more that I have already learnt on this forum. I read a few books and asked some questions here in 2003-4, and hardly ever needed to learn anything new. That is huge! From time to time I double check with latest publications, and so far the answer is the same (fingers crossed). I have survived two downturns and a few upturns 😀, with no change in my investment strategy.

So here's a little gratitude to the community.
552BB

Re: Gratitude

Post by 552BB »

Good evening BH community,

Hello moneywise,

moneywise3 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:21 pm Mr Bogle's passing made me somewhat emotional. Life is not just about numbers. Besides posting on social media, I thought of giving my tributes to him by reading The Little Book of Common Sense Investing (2017).

It's gratifying to know that I don't need to learn anything more that I have already learnt on this forum. I read a few books and asked some questions here in 2003-4, and hardly ever needed to learn anything new. That is huge! From time to time I double check with latest publications, and so far the answer is the same (fingers crossed). I have survived two downturns and a few upturns 😀, with no change in my investment strategy.

So here's a little gratitude to the community.

I like what you wrote.

I think that this is one of Jack Bogle's greatest teachings. Gratitude.

I believe it is too often overlooked or ignored. That is human nature, and we must always find time to be conscientiously grateful. I do this through some quiet time I take for my self every day.

Bogle's book 'Enough" did a great job of reminding us of this and teaching gratitude.

It is my favorite of his books, and I have read just about all of them.

I will re-read 'Enough' this week to express my gratitude.

:sharebeer
birdsong

Post by birdsong »

I will be eternally grateful to Jack for the principles he used in founding Vanguard. His guidance along the way helped me stay the course to financial independence and a comfortable retirement. I introduced my late Dad to Vanguard and we even got to meet Mr. Bogle at the 2004 conference in Denver. Dad loved his Wellington Fund, his only fund in his IRA. It rewarded him well until he passed this year just shy of 100.

Gratitude for Jack will live on in the hearts of all bogleheads. He will not be forgotten and this forum will continue to educate and guide young investors based on Jack's principles.

Thank you Jack for what you did for me and all investors.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

FreeAtLast wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:23 pm This weekend's Wall Street Journal. The "Exchange" Section, at the bottom of page B1.

"For Jack Bogle, Life Was A Near-Death Experience", by Jason Zweig. He provides some fascinating background about Jack that I had never heard of before.

(I buy the WSJ every weekend, so I cannot provide a link). :(
Jason Zweig's insightful and poignant columns about Jack's life, and death, are also posted here... http://jasonzweig.com/on-jack-bogle-2/
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
LXEX55

Post by LXEX55 »

When Muhammad Ali passed, George Foreman said something to the effect of "we will not see his like again, but I can truly say, it was an honor to be in the same room as him. It is the end of one journey and the beginning of another, go in peace."
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

His quotes are so well know, like Stay the Course and Press on Regardless. Those two are my personal favorites.

Below is what I read when I feel my self straying from said course.

The simplest of all approaches is to invest solely in a single balanced market index fund -- just one fund. And it works. Such a fund offers a broadly diversified middle-of-the-road investment program for a typical conservative investor who is investing about 60 percent of assets in stocks and 40 percent in bonds. This portfolio is entirely "indexed" - that is, its stocks and bonds are not actively managed, but simply represent a broad cross-section of the entire U.S. stock and bond market. Over the past half-century, such a fund would have captured 98 percent of the rate of return from the combined stock and bond markets. Investing doesn't get much better than that. -John Bogle - From Common Sense on Mutual Funds.

And more recent in his updated edition of The Little Book of Common Sense Investing:

The balanced index fund, 60 percent in U.S, stocks, 40 percent in U.S. bonds, provides extraordinary diversification and operates at rock-bottom cost, would offer the functional equivalent of having your entire portfolio overseen by an investment advisory firm.

Thank you Jack for providing me this wisdom to read again and again so I protect myself from myself. "Don't just do something stand there!"

And lastly, thank you for staying the course on your mission. We all have benefited from your work here!!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged moneywise3's thread into the on-going discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Jack Bogle's picture on the Bogleheads® wiki home page has been updated to add a caption.
John Bogle
(1929 - 2019)
Forum posts
The link goes to this page: John Bogle forum post index, which contains an archive of Jack Bogle's posts on this forum.

Those threads have been locked to preserve the content.

On the Bogleheads site home page left-side menu under "Wiki", we've added a link to the wiki page as John Bogle. (This menu entry does not appear in mobile devices.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
OhioFarmer

Post by OhioFarmer »

My Meeting With Jack Bogle at Vanguard:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/john-c-b ... ublished=t
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

This article captures some of my thoughts about Mr. Bogle and Vanguard, the early wisdom and "artistic" genius that led to his commercial success.

http://reason.com/archives/2019/01/21/w ... nguard-fou

He did right by his customers and prospered.

Win - Win.
NYC1

Post by NYC1 »

I am a long time Vanguard Investor from the 1980's, but I am new to the Bogleheads. I felt the need to add my voice to many on this forum that has said a few kind words about Jack Bogle. Mr. Bogle has done a great service to the ordinary investor and I cannot thank him enough!

Mr. Bogle, thank you for efforts in creating the Vanguard Group, allowing all of us to benefit from "Your Vanguard Experiment".

Godspeed Mr. Bogle.
KJVanguard

Post by KJVanguard »

NibbanaBanana wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:44 am Who will speak for us now that John Bogle is dead?
Is there anyone else in the financial services industry advocating for the individual investor?
Vanguard would appear to be advocating for the individual investor, though Jack was the ultimate spokesman for "costs matter." Vanguard still carries on that tradition that St. Jack started in 1975.

When I first started investing with Vanguard I put $3,000 in Total Stock Market. Back then it cost a whopping 0.20% in expenses and had a 0.25% purchase fee to offset the cost of investing in smaller stocks. A year later it dropped the purchase fee and the expenses have fallen to 0.04% in the last 24 years. I thought 20 basis points was low cost, but now they are approaching zero and one can only wonder just how low they can go. Additionally, these super low cost Admiral Shares which used to require $250,000 fell to a $10,000 requirement and this month to a mere $3,000 such that everybody gets to enjoy them. Now other giants in the industry have been dragged kicking & screaming into the world of ultra-low cost indexing, like Fidelity that subsidizes some index funds so they can have zero expenses, though Vanguard isn't willing to play that game. Not that zero would save you much when Vanguard is $40 per year on $100,000.

Vanguard has done so much for me & my family and tens of millions of other investors. Great success by simply going with the very simple Bogle idea that costs matter.
Counterpoint

Post by Counterpoint »

Thank you, Jack.

Having worked in institutional finance in my career, both on Wall Street and on the buy side, I know first hand that most large financial institutions have major conflicts of interest with their customers. Caveat emptor.

Vanguard as a result of Jack's philosophy was a breath of fresh air. Not having to wonder if you're "being had" is worth a lot, as is working with a company who's trying to do the right thing. So I've never invested my own money with any other institution than Vanguard (except for a couple of services that Vanguard does not provide). I hope Vanguard continues to live by Jack's principles. And we see that Jack's impact, including the Vanguard effect, continues to be felt throughout the industry to the benefit of all.
teacher

Post by teacher »

I found Vanguard's tribute to Jack Bogle in my inbox this morning. It's succinct, and informative.
"Vanguard mourns the passing of founder John C. Bogle. Here is Vanguard's tribute, a "look back at the life of Vanguard's founder".
Key accomplishments of Mr. Bogle stand out:
• Created Vanguard as the first client-owned mutual fund company, an achievement that put billions of dollars back into the pockets of investors.
• Introduced the first index mutual fund for individual investors and stood behind the concept until it gained widespread acceptance.
• Drove down costs across the mutual fund industry by ceaselessly campaigning in the interests of investors.
"Jack Bogle's contributions to the investment industry—and, really, to the lives of countless individuals saving for their futures or their children's futures—cannot be overestimated. He was a tremendously intelligent and talented professional whose ideas changed the landscape. But he also became a conscience for this industry," said Vanguard CEO Tim Buckley.
https://about.vanguard.com/who-we-are/a ... 24:101:OTH
SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 »

John Bogle was a great man and changed the industry for the better. He will be missed...

Rest in peace, Mr. Bogle.
Mike
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

For Canadian's, today's Globe and Mail paper, in the Report on Business section, page B5 contains a half page 'ad' from Vanguard Canada remembering John C. Bogle with a link to www.vanguardcanada.ca/bogle.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Planet Money, Brilliant versus Boring

Post by nisiprius »

Planet Money episode 668: Brilliant versus Boring, Transcript, with substantial bits of interviews with Bogle. What a wonderful voice the man had. The episode is about Warren Buffett's bet with Ted Seides, but Bogle comes into it because (according to the reporters) the bet literally involved the performance of the Vanguard 500 index fund.

Notable to me is Ted Seides comments: after making a big point of saying that anybody who has any contact with Buffett concludes that Buffett's success with BRK was not just luck--yet as to why he lost the bet, well, Buffett was just lucky. Some of the dialog with Bogle, but do listen.
KESTENBAUM: Bogle creates this in 1976, and he's ready to open it up to the world, the first index fund ever. This is a fund for everybody. You can put in a small amount of money or a lot.

GOLDSTEIN: Bogle gets a bunch of big investment firms to go out to their clients and say, here's this great new thing. You want in?

KESTENBAUM: How much money were they hoping to get?

BOGLE: A hundred and fifty million dollars.

KESTENBAUM: How much did you get?

BOGLE: Eleven million dollars. It was a flop.

KESTENBAUM: The investment firms go back to Bogle, and they say, nobody wants this thing. Let's just kill it.

BOGLE: And I said wait a minute. We have the world's first index fund. We're going to keep the $11 million, and we'll do our best.

GOLDSTEIN: Investors don't really like this idea. Also, the investment industry does not like this idea.

KESTENBAUM: Because it's an insult to everything they stand for and they're trying to do.

GOLDSTEIN: At this point in the interview - at this moment in the story, Bogle points to the wall - points to something hanging on the wall right by where we're sitting.

BOGLE: Look over there.

GOLDSTEIN: What's going on?

BOGLE: That's the first reception from Wall Street.

GOLDSTEIN: Wait. That's an actual poster you're pointing to.

BOGLE: Yes. Came out in 1976.

GOLDSTEIN: He's pointing at a poster that he says brokerage firm printed up back in the '70s - has this big picture of Uncle Sam, and it says...

BOGLE: Help stamp out index funds. Index funds are un-American.

KESTENBAUM: Bogle keeps the index fund open, and he waits for the world to just come around to his way of seeing things. A year goes by - and then another. A decade passes.

GOLDSTEIN: So you've been out there for 10 years with the greatest idea of your life.

BOGLE: Right.

GOLDSTEIN: And where are you?

BOGLE: Zero percent.

KESTENBAUM: He's rounding down there.

GOLDSTEIN: Yeah (laughter), he's rounding down.

KESTENBAUM: It's a small part of the market.

GOLDSTEIN: If you take, like, all of the funds out there, index funds are, like, 0.4 percent a decade in.

KESTENBAUM: The idea of the index fund did finally start to catch on the 1990s. One of the reasons - index funds had very low fees.

...KESTENBAUM: In recent years, a lot of people have said, OK, I give up. A bunch of money has flowed into index funds.

GOLDSTEIN: We wanted to see what giving up looks like, so we went to the room where they run their index funds. And, I mean, it wasn't much, you know (laughter). Like, it was quiet. There were a few computers - could've been, like, any office. There's a handful of people in there, and they're very intentionally not picking stocks.

KESTENBAUM: It does seem boring. It does feel like giving up.

BOGLE: It is the essence of boredom. I'll concede it. If you're in investing for excitement, you are a damn fool. You're watching the market every day - up and down, 100-point - 200, 300, 400-point swings day after day. It's exciting, but it's meaningless.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Also, this one, but I didn't like it as well as the one on Planet Money... possibly because it had less of John C. Bogle talking. "The Indicator" is a spinoff of "Planet Money." RIP Jack Bogle, Democratizer of Investing. Transcript. It does, however, emphasize Bogle's contributions in terms of fighting for the client, rather than seeking maximum profit for the firm.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

We are pressing on, as we must. The forum has returned to normal operation.

John Bogle has died at age 89 and Jack Bogle's Obituary From The Family have been locked to preserve the discussions.

Please use this thread to pay your tributes.

A link to this thread, along with Mr. Bogle's forum posts, is documented in the wiki: John Bogle forum post index

The wiki article link is available on the wiki and site home pages.
thirdman

John C. Bogle: Renaissance Money Manager for the People

Post by thirdman »

Here is a link to Ralph Naders tribute to Mr. Bogle. The article has a link to a speech Mr. Bogle gave on “Fiduciary Duties as if Shareholders Mattered.”

https://nader.org/2019/01/24/john-c-bog ... -and-more/

thirdman
Fallible

Re: John C. Bogle: Renaissance Money Manager for the People

Post by Fallible »

"Renaissance money manager for the people" is such an apt description of Jack Bogle and this especially well-worded tribute shows why. In addition, the article's last line presents a challenge:
Now is the time for his family, friends, and Bogleheads to plan a series of living memorials to this great and resourceful man, so that his legacy is more than a memory but an ongoing foray into the future that he so fervently wanted to become realities.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Taylor Larimore

Re: John C. Bogle: Renaissance Money Manager for the People

thirdman:

Ralph Nader's tribute to our mentor, Jack Bogle, is one of the most descriptive I have read.

Thank you for sharing!

Best wishes.
Taylor
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged thirdman's thread into the on-going discussion.

(This is done out of necessity - to keep the forum focused on investing.)
nedsaid

Re: Neil Cavuto's video tribute

Post by nedsaid »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:03 pm Bogleheads:

You will enjoy this very nice eight-minute video tribute by Neil Cavuto, television news anchor:

Remembering the late Wall Street legend John Bogle"

Best wishes.
Taylor
That tribute video by Neil Cavuto was not only a home run but hit way over the centerfield fence. It was a very nice tribute to a great man. Thanks for sharing the video, fun to see Mr. Bogle in his younger days.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Pete12

Re: Neil Cavuto's video tribute

Post by Pete12 »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:03 pm Bogleheads:

You will enjoy this very nice eight-minute video tribute by Neil Cavuto, television news anchor:

Remembering the late Wall Street legend John Bogle"

Best wishes.
Taylor
Thank you Taylor, I thoroughly enjoyed watching this tribute. So nice to see Mr. Bogle in his earlier years. Two great quotes which I have written down on my IPS:

"Investors should keep their emotions the heck outta the way!"

"Daily movements of the market are a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing!"
Taylor Larimore

"John Bogle. RIP"

George Sisti, CFP, is the editor of Vectors -- one of my favorite financial newsletters. In his latest issue, Mr. Sisti delivers a beautiful tribute to John Bogle and he also provides a link to the Bogleheads website.

http://www.oncoursefp.com/files/Vectors ... 0final.pdf

Thank you George!

Best wishes.
Taylor
Last edited by Taylor Larimore on Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nedsaid

Re: "John Bogle. RIP"

Post by nedsaid »

There can't be enough tributes to John C. Bogle, or Jack as he liked to be called. He was a fine human being and will be very much missed. Sad that I didn't ever get to meet him.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

A solid tribute to John Bogle and the quotes are some of his best. Also a very good newsletter and I continued reading to the end. Thanks for posting, Taylor.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Taylor Larimore's thread into the on-going discussion.

(This is done out of necessity - to keep the forum focused on investing.)
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

nedsaid wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:40 pm There can't be enough tributes to John C. Bogle, or Jack as he liked to be called. He was a fine human being and will be very much missed. Sad that I didn't ever get to meet him.
Well said. :beer
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:16 pm
nedsaid wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:40 pm There can't be enough tributes to John C. Bogle, or Jack as he liked to be called. He was a fine human being and will be very much missed. Sad that I didn't ever get to meet him.
Same here. While we may not have met him in person, I doubt each of us will forget him and his legacy.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:57 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:16 pm
Same here. While we may not have met him in person, I doubt each of us will forget him and his legacy.
Like probably most people here, I never met Mr. Bogle either. However from reading his books and watching his interviews all these years, I felt like I knew him well. That’s good enough for me. RIP
ShaunSCO

George Sisti pays tribute to Mr. Bogle

Post by ShaunSCO »

[Post merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

The Vectors newsletter is always a good read with commonsense advice.

I particularly enjoyed this line: "Whenever investment results seem too good to be true – assume fraud until genius is proven."

http://www.oncoursefp.com/files/Vectors ... 0final.pdf
Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Taylor:

Thanks for posting this link to Mr. Sisti's article. It is more than just a tribute - it is a concise "gem" recapping the the inexorable triumph of passive index investing and staying the course. Along with a copy Bill Bernstein's "If You Can," it will be passed on to each of my three young adult children when they begin their working careers, as they may not have the inclination (at least initially) to delve into the many Bogleheads titles on their father's bookshelf.

I will always cherish the opportunity to have met you, Jack, Dr. Bernstein and many others at a Bogleheads Reunion a few years back. Thanks for all you continue to do on behalf of the average investor.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged ShaunSCO's post into the on-going discussion.
arcticpineapplecorp.

James Lange tribute to Jack Bogle An American Hero

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

[merged into Tributes to Jack Bogle thread - moderator prudent]

Just got this in my email and thought I'd pass it along. Some memories from James Lange when he interviewed Jack Bogle. Some things I didn't know. There's a link to a clip from one of the interviews as well. Enjoy:

https://paytaxeslater.com/lange-report/ ... 529741a8e6
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 »

I don't understand why John Bogle was never awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom Award. I cannot think of anyone more worthy.
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain
Taylor Larimore

FBN2014 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:19 pm I don't understand why John Bogle was never awarded with the Presidential Medal of Freedom Award. I cannot think of anyone more worthy.
FBM2014:

We tried hard to get Jack The Presidential Medal of Freedom which he obviously deserved.

We carefully prepared a package of Jack's accomplishments and I sent it to Knut Rostad, President of The Institute for the Fiduciary Standard who was supposed to have White House connections. We were given hopeful assurances by Mr. Rostad but Jack never received this well-deserved honor.

One of the biggest disappointments of my life.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:33 pm
FBN2014 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:19 pm I don't understand why John Bogle was never awarded with the Presidential Medal of Freedom Award. I cannot think of anyone more worthy.
FBM2014:

We tried hard to get Jack The Presidential Medal of Freedom which he obviously deserved.

We carefully prepared a package of Jack's accomplishments and I sent it to Knut Rostad, President of The Institute for the Fiduciary Standard who was supposed to have White House connections. We were given hopeful assurances by Mr. Rostad but Jack never received this well-deserved honor.

One of the biggest disappointments of my life.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Sometimes the best indicator of recognition comes not from a single award, medal or trophy but from the multitude of thanks received over a period of time. It’s my belief that Jack Bogle got that reward he so richly deserved.

Taylor - you should have zero regrets, for if it were not for you and your late wife hosting that dinner years ago, where would be today?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions